• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's more like when someone takes a Beamer and puts an awful body kit on it. Beamwiz

KuGsj.gif

I saw very briefly that the touchless voice app was released for the Moto X and the new Droids. Do all of them have the SoC optimizations, like only using one or two cores for certain operations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That "tablet" is so ugly. It looks like a Note 2016 version. Just a big phone.

Hey - anyone know how to pin all of my music to my phone, all at once? It was doable with the old music app, but I don't know how to do it with this newer one.

Update for anyone who was wondering as well - it doesn't seem that there's any way to do this, but from the phone, you can go to the "Last Added" playlist, and then you can make a new playlist from there, with all your songs.

After that, you can pin the new playlist to your phone in its entirety, and pretty much pin all your songs to your phone that way.

Arkanius

Gaffers, am I the only one with Google Now deactivated?
My batter takes such a huge hit when I have it on that my HTC One is crying from not using such a good feature.

GHG

Speaking of cameras...anyone care to guess when we'll see an android phone that competes with the Nokia 1020?

Sony are meant to be announcing a new flagship in early September that will rival the 1020 in terms of camera.

Gaffers, am I the only one with Google Now deactivated?
My batter takes such a huge hit when I have it on that my HTC One is crying from not using such a good feature.

Something's wrong with your phone or settings then. Google Now doesn't normally suck down the battery. Do you have it set to always listen for your voice trigger? I think that kills the battery.

Arkanius

Something's wrong with your phone or settings then. Google Now doesn't normally suck down the battery. Do you have it set to always listen for your voice trigger? I think that kills the battery.

Nah but I think it's the Location Wakelocks. Google loves to create location based wakelocks :(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I disabled Google Now and haven't noticed a difference in my battery life. I've had it disabled for a week because I wanted to see if I noticed any difference in battery life, but no dice. So take that for what it's worth.

Okay, short impressions of day one with my new Droid Maxx...

Can't give the ever-important impression on battery life, as when I was using it, I hadn't charged it to 100%. But it mixed usage from whatever point it came charged at, it seemed to do decently.

Touchless controls seem to work from a decent distance. I'm 4'11" away from the phone (I had measuring tape handy), and it seems to respond well enough even still. The main problems seem to come when trying to speak when it's playing music, for expected reasons, I suppose. So long as you speak pretty clearly, it should be fine.

Also, I have trouble getting it to recognize Yeezus as Yeezus, instead of Jesus. Almost sounds like a line that would be somewhere in that album, come to think of it. Still great fun, though.

Now, because I only had Android 2.3.3 on my last smartphone, an Xperia Play (you can't root on 2.3.4, apparently, and many of the ROMs were 2.3.3, so... but the highest it went was 2.3.4, officially), this is my first time owning a 4.x phone (my tablet got 4.0, though). It's pretty damned good, IMO. Fun to play with. The phone as a whole is pretty responsive and smooth, but coming off my last phone I could say that about anything. Only time will tell if this holds up.

When it comes to general design, I get why people prefer phones that curve in your hand. While the Droid Maxx is by no means uncomfortable to hold, it certainly lacks the level of comfort that even my Xperia Play had with its curved back. As for the size... I was worried about the screen size being 5", but I've adjusted quickly enough.

Other comments... it was really nice being able to set up everything so that I could migrate all of my texts and my call history and stuff to my new phone. I didn't expect the stuff on my SD card to come with it, but I guess it *did* say pictures and videos, so I have the episodes of FMA: Brotherhood I downloaded a while back on my new phone. Gravy. Memory doesn't seem to have taken a big hit at all. I still have 22~24GB left, and 3GB is already in use. Again, coming off of my Xperia Play (Which had less than 1GB of internal storage), this is pretty glorious.

Overall, I like the phone so far. We'll see how long this works out for me. Also, 6 free months of Google Play All-Access (see, I don't pay for All-Access, so the last time I used it was with the 30 day free trial)!

speaking of the maxx, what are the top 5/10 newish phones in terms of battery life, I was supposed to get a note 2 in june but I had to fix something with my car, so I'm still weighing my options to see whats out there

I thought the new youtube was supposed to allow videos to keep playing with the display off. Is coming later, or is there a setting I can't find?

Mindwipe

I thought the new youtube was supposed to allow videos to keep playing with the display off. Is coming later, or is there a setting I can't find?

It is almost certainly not coming. It's probably been built, but Google's music licences do not allow them to roll it out and I don't see that changing.

Fatalah

Today seems to be the first day of Moto X's huge marketing campaign.

Walking through Penn Station this morning, Moto X ads were spattered across TV screens.

I remembered watching Erin Andrews' energy drink billboard being removed yesterday, so I took a quick detour and LO AND BEHOLD!

iy2dUqn.jpg

It is almost certainly not coming. It's probably been built, but Google's music licences do not allow them to roll it out and I don't see that changing.

Do you have a source for that? Couldn't they just disallow it for music similar to how they filter content not available on mobile? I mostly want it for listening to lectures and long talks.

-PXG-

Holy shit. My battery is nuts. 1% drain every 3 hours while idle on mobile data. Not bad. Wake locks? What are those lol

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Can someone from the US or Canada tell me if there's stock for the LG Nexus 4 on the play store? Thanks.

L034

I just deleted this from my lockscreen widgets, and I can't find it anywhere.

On PA 3.6 ish IIRC if that matters.

I hate the default time widget, and even with hybrid setup, I can't find anything that looks this good in my other widgets.

EDIT:
Found it.

it's a framework-res mod I had done

EDIT 2:
No it isn't :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom