• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjscott05

Anyone have recommendations for a GPS app? I'll be traveling to Canada (Toronto) after I fly into Detroit, and I would like a GPS app that I could load the roads and use GPS instead of using data.

yyzjohn

Banned
Huh. Works fine for me. Shows me the fastest way home, places, movie times, everything except music stuff.

In Toronto btw

Works great for me as well. Gives me travel info, stocks, sports scores, anything i've searched for recently in Google etc..

L034

I just deleted this from my lockscreen widgets, and I can't find it anywhere.

On PA 3.6 ish IIRC if that matters.

I hate the default time widget, and even with hybrid setup, I can't find anything that looks this good in my other widgets.

EDIT:
Found it.

it's a framework-res mod I had done

EDIT 2:
No it isn't :(

Right, I found the setting on my phone:
it's in:
/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

in table secure
lock_screen_appwidget_ids| <ids go here>

But I have no idea what Id it is :/

EDIT:
It's -2 on mine. It seems to depend on the device, don't randomly edit this. I have no idea what would happen if you landed on an id that doesn't exist on your device. It's the SGS4 GPE widget for anyone wondering. It was in my ROM, PA.

Got it back after deleting all widgets. Should have thought of that before digging through the filesystem and databases.
As I removed all widgets before adding them in order to find their IDs, in order to try to guess the ID of the default (on my ROM) widget, I wondered what would happen if there were none. And that fixed it.

</facepalm>

Groof

So after hearing about the tiny security update OTA that was getting released I figured I'd do a manual check for shits. When I did I notice the last checked status is from last night, but when I press check now it does nothing. Nothing!
Help me Android GAF, what gives?

More impressions - bit difficult to use with one hand while lying down. Nice as the back is, it's a bit slippery for that. Also, missing the curves :(

But it has a nice... glass. Smooth and curves at the right places.

Just played with the Moto X at Future Shop. My god this thing is tiny. It's crazy that this is a 4.7" screen. I put it beside an HTC One and the difference in size is VERY noticeable.

Other thoughts:
- Screen had that same old saturated AMOLED look to me.
- The back weaving is not really weaving. It's more like an image printed on the rubbery back. I was expecting to feel the bumps.

I'd definitely consider a Google Play edition if the price is right. There's no way I would buy a carrier version of this phone though when you're running stock(ish) AND have updates held back. At least Sense and Touchwiz has/can have functionality added in by HTC/Samsung so that updates don't matter as much. This is stock but you're literally always going to be behind AOSP/Nexus devices in features.

Groof

Google applies for location-based security patent, locks down your phone on the go

Google's knack with location services helps us to get around, but hopefully, that same tech will serve to keep our devices safe in the future. Mountain View has applied to patent a system that modifies your smartphone's security depending on where you are. If you're at home or work, for instance, then swipe-to-unlock will suffice, but if you venture into the unknown, then your handset will demand you enter a code or, you know, offer up a DNA sample. The only issue that we can find, of course, is that you'd better hope that the person who lives above or below you in the apartment block doesn't have their eyes on your Nexus.
werenotworthy.gif

So I just randomly checked my battery monitor and it said that double twist alarm clock had used 94.6% of my battery usage for the day. WTF. I had to force close it. It wasn't running in the background and I didn't have an alarm set.

Anyone had an issue with this app before?

mkenyon

Banned
If battery life is more important than anything, and having a phone that I can use super reliable ROMs or just have a close-to-stock experience on, should I go for the One or the Moto-X?

*edit*

This is US, AT&T.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If battery life is more important than anything, and having a phone that I can use super reliable ROMs or just have a close-to-stock experience on, should I go for the One or the Moto-X?

*edit*

This is US, AT&T.

X for sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Cool.

Don't mind getting a bit dirty with custom ROMs, but my experience with putting them on my Note has been just complete shit. There's a lot of stuff out there for the One right now, but I fear that everything will start dwindling for it just like it has for a number of devices looking a year to 18 months out.

*edit*

This is US, AT&T.

HTC One.

you can get a Google Experience version! or just a normal one and convert it...

Cool.

Don't mind getting a bit dirty with custom ROMs, but my experience with putting them on my Note has been just complete shit. There's a lot of stuff out there for the One right now, but I fear that everything will start dwindling for it just like it has for a number of devices looking a year to 18 months out.

Don't listen to him, go for the HTC One.

mkenyon

Banned
HTC One.

you can get a Google Experience version! or just a normal one and convert it...
And then when the next OS release is out? The one after that? I mean, even my Note is still technically supported to an extent with CM, but I also have had an array of issues ranging from crazy screen artifacts, BT draining my entire battery in ~45 mins, camera functions not even working, and a huge range of other stuff.

I'd be insane to get a phone that isn't subsidized at the $600 level.
Don't listen to him, go for the HTC One.
My wife has one, but everything I'm reading about the Moto-X indicates that it has some magical combination when it comes to battery life. I'm talking average use type stuff, not "SEE HOW FAST IT DRAINS" benchmarks.

The fact that it has a really stripped down OS makes me hopeful that updates will be timely and official, rather than the crapshoot that is ROMs.

And then when the next OS release is out? The one after that? I mean, even my Note is still technically supported to an extent with CM, but I also have had an array of issues ranging from crazy screen artifacts, BT draining my entire battery in ~45 mins, camera functions not even working, and a huge range of other stuff.

I'd be insane to get a phone that isn't subsidized at the $600 level.
then get a Nexus 4. there is no guarantee that the Google Edition HTC One ROM or Moto X will be updated for several years to come.

My wife has one, but everything I'm reading about the Moto-X indicates that it has some magical combination when it comes to battery life. I'm talking average use type stuff, not "SEE HOW FAST IT DRAINS" benchmarks.

The fact that it has a really stripped down OS makes me hopeful that updates will be timely and official, rather than the crapshoot that is ROMs.
well, the GE HTC One and GS4 are already on 4.3... i mean, the HTC First was stripped down even more! it's on what again?

Been enjoying the touchless controls well enough.

Battery life is okay - left it on standard settings - no power saver or anything, but only about 1/5 brightness. Mixed usage all day - took a nap for about 4 hours, set alarm with voice and left All Access going, battery still fine. Hell, it's now about an hour plus after my nap. Turned off the music, but just turned it back on... I'm at about 49% battery now. No 4G - constant Wi-Fi.

EDIT: Touchless controls can be pretty hit or miss, and doesn't really account for my full range... but I don't know that anyone expected it to.

...Well, I did.

mkenyon

Banned
then get a Nexus 4. there is no guarantee that the Google Edition HTC One ROM or Moto X will be updated for several years to come.

well, the GE HTC One and GS4 are already on 4.3... i mean, the HTC First was stripped down even more! it's on what again?
Yeah yeah, I get what you're saying.

What I'm asking isn't fair, as it's all speculation. At the very least, it's confirmed the Moto-X has great battery life, yeah? Or am I putting too much stock into the few reviews that have pointed this out?

Yeah yeah, I get what you're saying.

What I'm asking isn't fair, as it's all speculation. At the very least, it's confirmed the Moto-X has great battery life, yeah? Or am I putting too much stock into the few reviews that have pointed this out?

i'm still waiting on the GSMArena and AnandTech battery tests, but Aaron from PhoneDog wasn't impressed and many reviews just said it was good but not great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So been a banner week for Android Browsers. Fire Fox got its biggest update yet, and now Chrome beta just got a big update as well.

Things are definitely looking up if you use either of those browsers!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
UK-GAF supposedly Woolworth has the new Nexus 7 for sale on their website. Not sure if it'll actually ship early, but you can order away!

It is worth noting today's Nexus 7 update supposedly fixes the GPS and Touch Screen complaints. So buy away! Best Android tablet out right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This update to Chrome is very cool. Tab switching could mean the return of quick controls.

I just bought Timely. I have no idea why. It's nice, though.

kehs

Banned
I found my n7 lying on the floor earlier under some clothes, I guess there's an update rolling around.

Does it replace this shittty tegra 3 chipset by anychance?

Here's a shitty picture taken with my tablet...

IMG_20130821_221022.jpg

I haven't customized the phone yet. Anyways, after a day of music playing, some web browsing, Facebook and whatnot (at 1/5 brightness still), the phone is now at 29%. Excellent battery life - I'm sure that my Xperia Play - even with the expanded battery I got for it (3600mAH) - would have died by now. But I've not really tested the 4G too much, so we must see about that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Timely says there's Google Now voice integration. No, there isn't. I can't set an alarm via voice. It just pops up as a reminder and I can't click "Remind Me." Anyone else with this issue?

Bboy AJ

I've been using the Swipe Down gesture for the Menu button in Chrome Beta for awhile. I'm glad it's a permanent thing now instead of a Lab setting. It's a very natural gesture and works well. I hope more apps use it. It feels so natural that it's gotten to the point where I try to use this gesture in other apps.

Doopliss

I've been using the Swipe Down gesture for the Menu button in Chrome Beta for awhile. I'm glad it's a permanent thing now instead of a Lab setting. It's a very natural gesture and works well. I hope more apps use it. It feels so natural that it's gotten to the point where I try to use this gesture in other apps.

I really don't like that when you highlight the bottom item in the menu it gets scrolled out from under your thumb because the list is too long to all fit on the screen (probably doesn't happen on larger screened devices). I'm not sure how they could fix it except by making the items that need scrolling inaccessible via the swipe gesture, which isn't a great solution.

Anyway the amount of time you save by swiping the menu is pretty insignificant considering you usually need to scroll the page to reveal the action bar first. Also it's really easy to accidentally perform the tab switch gesture when trying to swipe to the forward button. For these reasons I doubt I'll ever use the feature.

This update to Chrome is very cool. Tab switching could mean the return of quick controls.
Looking at their issue tracker it seems the edge swipe was removed because people complained about it being too easy to do by accident when horizontally scrolling web pages. I don't think that bodes well for quick controls returning.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=117657

Bboy AJ

What device are you using? Curious. Good points about quick controls. I'm still hoping there's another clever implementation coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom