• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
4.3 makes it usable again. Update it and start using it again

I think it's security fix update, I did the 4.3 a few weeks ago, it did help tremendously though. I've just been using my mba cause I better use it with what it costs.

kehs

Banned
I got an MBP for work, i have no idea how to use Mac. This will be fun

Multifinger gestures are amazing. Make sure you dig into the preferences to turn them on tweak them. I'm pretty close to getting an external touchpad for work and see if I can mimic all that good stuff on w7.

Everything else isn't too different tough, but I spend most of my time in chrome anyways, heh.

Talon

I got an MBP for work, i have no idea how to use Mac. This will be fun
I think there's about a two week learning curve there.

1. You have to realize that Apps don't close by just pressing the red button in the corner, it just closes the instance. You need to actually quit from the File menu or the Dock.

2. Installation/Uninstalling is stupidly easy. Just drag and drop. Some apps will have installers but very rarely. Install: Drag and drop the application into the Applications folder. Uninstall: Drag the application in the trash can. This screwed me up for a while.

3. Dat Trackpad. Seriously. Best part of using a Mac. Multitasking is such a breeze once you have Spaces/Expose turned on and you're flying from window to window with gestures.

gcubed

I think there's about a two week learning curve there.

1. You have to realize that Apps don't close by just pressing the red button in the corner, it just closes the instance. You need to actually quit from the File menu or the Dock.

2. Installation/Uninstalling is stupidly easy. Just drag and drop. Some apps will have installers but very rarely. Install: Drag and drop the application into the Applications folder. Uninstall: Drag the application in the trash can. This screwed me up for a while.

3. Dat Trackpad. Seriously. Best part of using a Mac. Multitasking is such a breeze once you have Spaces/Expose turned on and you're flying from window to window with gestures.

this entire post confuses me. It makes me feel like i'm 80

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
this entire post confuses me. It makes me feel like i'm 80

Main thing is once you get into a program it'll work like it should. I mean Chrome is Chrome be it on Windows, OSX, or Linux.

It'll seem daunting at 1st, but honestly the transition won't be that hard. It'll just be a few little things.

Meanwhile you'll get spoiled by dat track pad!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome OS has a three-finger "workspace switcher" flag and it's super janky but also pretty useful.
wAvFoG6.png

mkenyon

Banned
Someone with a great monitor tell me if this is more cool/minty or vibrant. I don't trust my work monitors at all for judging color.

ausM7SH.png

Man I keep thinking about how great the Moto X looks and feels in my hand but literally nothing about the phone appeals to me besides its looks. The size is amazingggggggggggg

mkenyon

Banned
Man I keep thinking about how great the Moto X looks and feels in my hand but literally nothing about the phone appeals to me besides its looks. The size is amazingggggggggggg
I'm reading in a number of reviews that the real world battery usage is much better than the other flagship phones.

Between my wife and I, have had the G1, G2, G2X, One X, S2, Galaxy Nexus, Note, and One. (some of those were when we were trying out both Verizon and AT&T to see what gave better reception where we live)

Neither of us have had a phone that lasts from the moment I wake up to when I go to bed with medium usage. My Note would when it was still on Gingerbread, not since though.

Vanillalite

Dat silver award. With both Tested and AnandTech giving it this raving reviews, my upgrade is more than settled. No more laggy shit.

Yay! I hope my review didn't over hype things, but in an era of electronics where most things tend to over promise and under deliver (even if they are still good in and of themselves) the new Nexus 7 delivers on basically every level especially for the price!

5 minute impressions:

XFON vs ONE

I spent a few minutes with each phone today. I knew the One felt great in my hand but damn that XFON actually one upped it. It is made out of plastic but it sure doesn't feel like it. All the hate about the under-specced phone? Using them side to side it felt better and smoother than the One. Perhaps if I had the Google Play edition to play with it the One would fare better but alas I am stuck on verizon so that's not an option. As of today I am going to the X over the One.

I played with the new Droids and while the don't look awful in person they are not great to hold at all. For my hand size I can use the X and the One as I currently do my iPhone with one hand, yet not so much with the new droids. They were just as smooth as the X though so that was nice if you're looking for a 48hour battery life.

XFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

5 minute impressions:

XFON vs ONE

I spent a few minutes with each phone today. I knew the One felt great in my hand but damn that XFON actually one upped it. It is made out of plastic but it sure doesn't feel like it. All the hate about the under-specced phone? Using them side to side it felt better and smoother than the One. Perhaps if I had the Google Play edition to play with it the One would fare better but alas I am stuck on verizon so that's not an option. As of today I am going to the X over the One.

I played with the new Droids and while the don't look awful in person they are not great to hold at all. For my hand size I can use the X and the One as I currently do my iPhone with one hand, yet not so much with the new droids. They were just as smooth as the X though so that was nice if you're looking for a 48hour battery life.

XFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

This post made me want to throw up, sorry :(

It was just as all the reviewers said, you really have to use it to get it.

Honestly the main thing I can't get over is the look. It's so cheap looking and the edging around the front looks like it has a cheap case on it. Maybe it's just the white, I haven't seen the black.

Plus I just can't get past the phone costing the same as the One or the S4 and being specced lower. It seems like a rip off to me.

Vanillalite

Some quotes from the Anandtech wrap up on the Nexus 7.

It’s easily the best small Android tablet I’ve ever used. The build quality is great, the display is amazing and the hardware is fast. The new Nexus 7 also happens to be the most color accurate Android device we've ever tested - easily competitive with the iPad's Retina Display, and delivers the longest battery life we've ever seen from an Android tablet.

The 2013 Nexus 7 redefines what you should expect to pay for a truly great tablet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
5 minute impressions:

XFON vs ONE

XFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

EWmof.gif

Groof

Yay! I hope my review didn't over hype things, but in an era of electronics where most things tend to over promise and under deliver (even if they are still good in and of themselves) the new Nexus 7 delivers on basically every level especially for the price!

You didn't overhype anything, it sounded pretty much in line with what any other reviewer (might even go as far as to say every person!) is saying, hardware and software issues aside. If I was crazy enough I'd import one, but I'll just try to wait it out until it either hits these shores or I go mad.

Honestly the main thing I can't get over is the look. It's so cheap looking and the edging around the front looks like it has a cheap case on it. Maybe it's just the white, I haven't seen the black.

Plus I just can't get past the phone costing the same as the One or the S4 and being specced lower. It seems like a rip off to me.

I was right there with you thinking it looked bad but honestly not in person. The hump looks bad in pictures.

jokkir

All of your battery life woes would be cured if you moved to South Korea. They give you two batteries each time you buy a phone. They should bring that here

Groof

All of your battery life woes would be cured if you moved to South Korea. They give you two batteries each time you buy a phone. They should bring that here

Yeah seriously. When my gf bought her S3 and I saw the extra battery and battery charger I lost my fucking shit. She was like "they're not supposed to?"

My father-in-law is looking for a new phone; he has about $350 to spend on an off-contract VZW device. I'm thinking Note 2, since he's wanted a big phone for a while. Do we know when the Note 3 announcement is supposed to come? I might tell him to wait for that since more of the 2s will go on CraigsList and the like.

Groof

That's still a terrible solution

But it's still better than having to buy extras.

In other news, I just got the 1.8mb security update pushed to my phone. Whoo.

edit: hmm, build number is unchanged. It errored out on my during update but when I hard reset my phone it did the standard "updating apps" thing.

edit2: apparently the problem lies with SuperSU and the way it handles root on 4.3. Manual flash, go!

Doopliss

My father-in-law is looking for a new phone; he has about $350 to spend on an off-contract VZW device. I'm thinking Note 2, since he's wanted a big phone for a while. Do we know when the Note 3 announcement is supposed to come? I might tell him to wait for that since more of the 2s will go on CraigsList and the like.
My top secret insider source tells me 4th September. Please don't tell anyone this highly confidential information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom