• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Pushes Major Update To Play Developer Content Policy, Kills Notification Bar Ads For Real This Time, And A Lot More

Google gets upset when apps use the notification bar for advertisements. And this time, it has explicitly lain the hammer down on such services.

Apps and their ads must not display advertisements through system level notifications on the user’s device, unless the notifications derive from an integral feature provided by the installed app. (e.g., an airline app that notifies users of special deals, or a game that notifies users of in-game promotions).

Boom. Yes, apps still can display promotions or deals that directly lead back to the app displaying them, if they are a part of an integral feature of that app. The airline deal example is pretty much what that means. If it's not explicitly, directly, absolutely something that involves the user doing / buying something in your app that relates to said app, it's not OK. No more notification bar ads, essentially.

The following clause was added to the impersonation or deceptive behavior section:

Products must not contain false or misleading information in any content, title, icon, description, or screenshots.

Along with the content policy now including developer names and websites, this part of the policy is clearly moving in the same direction: if you pretend to be someone else, you're going to get your app pulled or account suspended. The inclusion of titles, icons, descriptions, and screenshots pretty much covers all the bases here. And, hopefully, this means a tiny little disclaimer in the app description won't provide a way for scumbag ad scammers to skate by the policy anymore.

lots more at the link

-PXG-

I put iOS 7 on my 4S and it's making me doubt switching to Android.

SOMEONE CONVINCE ME TO SWITCH

Same situation as me, total different effect. It made me impatient to switch over.

You're half way there. You are now experiencing Android-like features. Just imagine that on a bigger screen, on a device with expandable storage and a removable battery. Plus shit loads of mods and infinite customization.

Situations where you are at a friend's house and don't have your charger with you, you can just plug it in to charge. Happened to a friend of mine when at our other's friends house who was an all Apple household.

...Fair. But unless they have an extension cord lying around, you can't really use it while it's charging. Plus the phone's body can get in the way if you're trying to plug it into a specific place.

Ephemeris

Hmmm, might buy for my mom for her birthday. She's using a G2 right now... you know the one with the keyboard.

Surely a worthwhile upgrade right?

Last year I had the same G2 and was trying to decide between the One and the S3. Went with the Samsung but the One S was a really nice alternative.

potam

Banned
God I want to switch...but I feel like I should wait for the snapdragon 800 phones or at least 5.0.

WHY DOES THE BABY JESUS DO THIS TO ME?

You're half way there. You are now experiencing Android-like features. Just imagine that on a bigger screen, on a device with expandable storage and a removable battery. Plus shit loads of mods and infinite customization.

But the HTC One doesn't have expandable storage or a removable battery... :(

Droid 5
bq2eDbf.jpg

bob page

I put iOS 7 on my 4S and it's making me doubt switching to Android.

SOMEONE CONVINCE ME TO SWITCH

I've been using the beta on my other device and to be honest, most of the changes seem very surface-level. Still feels like the same old iOS with a new skin, which wasn't really what I was hoping for. The multitasking & notification modifications aren't as robust as I was expecting- still far behind Android.

People are easily distracted by a new coat of paint, but it's still more of the same (obviously that may change depending on how devs take advantage of it- still don't see the functionality being as robust as Android for quite some time).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That Droid 5 looks ugly as fuck. The fuck is wrong with Motorola? Are they like half trolling Verizon at this point?

I'm pretty sure Verizon is the one who told them to make it this way.

Also it looks like their other three recent Droids, just with a keyboard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not surprised the wood X costs more but $50? That's absurd. Oh well, watch Andrex back out like he backed out of the Pixel. Never trust that guy to put his money where his mouth is, heh.

I hope the Nexus 5 has a similar form factor as the X. It looks awesome. When the N5 drops in a couple of months, all you heathens will come crawling back.

Note 3 passed FCC stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are the Cyanogen Superuser 4.3 issues fixed? Does Koush's built in solution work or do I still have to flash something?

DonMigs85

Is there a way to prevent SD card-installed apps from vanishing from the dock/homescreen if I mount the SD card on my computer? Even after disconnecting or restarting the phone they don't come back. I have a rooted phone with Apex Launcher by the way.

Cipherr

Good morniiing

Bababa baba baba, baa ba baba
Bababa baa baba baaa

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

I aint gonna lie, I downloaded that and put it on my phone too.
maruseesu2.png

I'm not using it as my alarm though, lol. I dunno about that. Would probably give me a heart attack.

Groof

I aint gonna lie, I downloaded that and put it on my phone too.
maruseesu2.png

I'm not using it as my alarm though, lol. I dunno about that. Would probably give me a heart attack.

It's a lot more manageable than you'd think haha. I have way too much fun waking up to it in the morning, and I fucking hate getting up in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom