• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Good God that Droid 5 keyboard is hideous. Did they hire someone that worked for Casio in 1997?
it wouldn't even be in the top 5 on my carrier.
Brah, you're on Sprint. One, S4 then...?

I've been using the beta on my other device and to be honest, most of the changes seem very surface-level. Still feels like the same old iOS with a new skin, which wasn't really what I was hoping for. The multitasking & notification modifications aren't as robust as I was expecting- still far behind Android.

People are easily distracted by a new coat of paint, but it's still more of the same (obviously that may change depending on how devs take advantage of it- still don't see the functionality being as robust as Android for quite some time).
The multitasking won't be there til launch. I have faith in iOS devs keeping everything up to snuff. In fact, I expect a lot of devs - like TapBots - to just take the opportunity to launch all new applications. I really do think it'll be the biggest change for the new OS.

I mean, think about it. iOS 6 apps are going to look and feel so jarring in iOS 7. Reeder will look super out of place. It's a great opportunity for new players. I'm particularly interested to see what the next iteration of Tweetbots will become. Twitterific feels a lot more natural in the iOS 7 headspace.

Also, Rdio probably is the most ready application. <3 Rdio

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Note 3 just popped up in the BlueTooth SIG (group that over sees bluetooth standard) database.

We all know it's gonna be unveiled on Sept. 4th, but this just shows it really is on the way rather soon.

Galaxy Mega price revealed:

Specs of the large phablet include a 6.3-inch 720p display, 1.7Ghz dual-core processor, 16GB internal memory (holds up to 64GB with a microSD card), 1.5GB RAM, 3,200 mAh battery, 8MP camera and a 1.9MP front-facing camera, runs Android OS 4.2.2.
According to a Rogers document we received notes “the GALAXY MEGA delivers a mobile experience that is larger than life” and is targeted towards those aged 16 to 29 who “want a large screen device for entertainment and content consumption. Price conscious/value/without sacrificing functionality.” The price you can expect to see on launch day is $499.99 no-term and $99.99 on a 2-year.

$50 cheaper than Moto X, with same specs and biiger screen. Lawl. Oh camera is a wee bit less.

Why do you want to switch? Switching for the sake of switching is dumb. Just look at the features that you need.

I mean I'd like to get an HTC One for the screen, feel and sound. I'm also more partial to Google Apps (Where the fuck is my Google Music App)

Also, I have an iPad Mini...

-PXG-

Got my hair cut. There is an AT&T store that is only a few buildings down from the barber shop. I decided to go in and play around with their new toys.

tGgVtHE.jpg

9HEnrda.jpg

ngrenVs.jpg

UNgATRA.jpg

It's much smaller than I though it would be. This is perfect for new folks who think Android devices are too big. I'm totally satisfied with my Galaxy S4, so this is a bit small for my liking. However, the Moto X is a nice entry point for those making the jump from an iPhone or any old phone really. I'm a fan of AOSP based ROMs. This is as pure and legit as it gets, so of course, I felt right at home (I run CM 10.2 on my GS4). The UI was snappy and performance was very smooth. I was under the impression that the Moto X came pre-installed with 4.3, but as the photo shows, that unit was running 4.2.2. Huh....Anyway, the device itself is smooth, light and very comfortable. I think the camera UI is overly minimalistic. You have to really explore it and figure things out. The interface and feature set (for the camera, not overall) feel underdeveloped. As photo IQ itself is serviceable. Nothing special. Since the screen is smaller, I do feel a bit cramped and had a hard time touching the right icons. But that's just me. Again, I'm used to larger phones. Unlike Samsung, though a bit too stiff, Motorola was smart to put the volume and power buttons on the same side. In this case, they're all on the right. As for the Active Notifcations....Well, since it was a demo unit, I couldn't really test it out. Maybe it was due to the lack of actual pending notifications but unlocking the device was annoying. Maybe I'm just hardwired into my own habits but it took me a while to figure out how to bypass the initial notification screen to then be allowed to actually use the unlock icon. It was odd. I don't know.It's a shame that the "woven" back isn't textured. It would have been nice if it was made out of some kind of rubbery bumpy material. It would make it easier to hold, plus it would look and feel cool. Oh well, no big deal.

All in all, it's a solid device, but nothing mind blowing. It's a great phone for those who are new to Android or those who have an outdated device. If you're currently using something from the last 12 months or so, wait for something better. The Moto X is good but not amazing.

Anyway, more stuff...

Udnird8.jpg

HTC One Mini.

Another device that I would recommend to those who think most Android phones are too big. So you iPhone guys out there, give this a look. But honestly, stop being babies and learn how to appreciate bigger screens.

grX3Y55.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Mega

This thing is a fucking beast. Seriously. It's huge...and you know...I kinda like that. Still, my GS4's specs and performance are amazing. No way, I'm turning my back on it.

8AXy88E.jpg

Nokia Lumia 1020

I stupidly didn't bother using the camera...I know...Plus, this is my first time actually playing with a Windows Phone. Performance is pretty good. I can't really say much about it.

I also finally played around the the Blackberry Z10. What an awful device. Besides power and volume, there are NO hard or soft buttons. AT ALL. Page and app navigation is governed by swipes. It's not intuitive at all. It's bizarre as hell. RIM....lol

Is there a way to prevent SD card-installed apps from vanishing from the dock/homescreen if I mount the SD card on my computer? Even after disconnecting or restarting the phone they don't come back. I have a rooted phone with Apex Launcher by the way.

they *should* reappear when you remount on the phone. also part of why Google (1) hates SD cards and (2) moved from UMS to MTP.

I also finally played around the the Blackberry Z10. What an awful device. Besides power and volume, there are NO hard or soft buttons. AT ALL. Page and app navigation is governed by swipes. It's not intuitive at all. It's bizarre as hell. RIM....lol

Isn't that meant to be the point of RIM's new OS you know get the OS out of the way and show just what the user is interacting with, maximise use of the screen space. It was a bit odd when I used it but performance was good for a version 1 device.

I came away a wee bit impressed to be honest.

mkenyon

Banned
Ordered a Moto-X last night. If I'm not digging it in 15 days, I'll bring it back in and just tough it out until the nexus whatever is out.

I really want the moto X now, and I'm currently trying to decide if I want to switch to AT&T for it. I'd have to lose my unlimited VZW plan though... and I about 3.5 GB per month. If I join my friend's family plan, I'd pay the $10 access fee, the $30 for 3 GB, and $10 more per GB overage, right? That might not be a bad deal.

Talon

I really want the moto X now, and I'm currently trying to decide if I want to switch to AT&T for it. I'd have to lose my unlimited VZW plan though... and I about 3.5 GB per month. If I join my friend's family plan, I'd pay the $10 access fee, the $30 for 3 GB, and $10 more per GB overage, right? That might not be a bad deal.
Dude, no. Hold onto that unlimited plan with your life.

Not worth it. Verizon is much better than AT&T. AND lose unlimited data? No way. Just wait for Moto Maker to come to Verizon in a few weeks.

gcubed

The greatest myth of late 2013. Verizon's better than ATT.

Less choices, longer waits on updates, hard locked phones, slower LTE.

Vanillalite

So I helped my fiancée get a new car today. Now she can use all of those crazy 2013 car features with her phone. She didn't get in car touch nav, but it has bluetooth, USB, and aux in her car.

The greatest myth of late 2013. Verizon's better than ATT.

Less choices, longer waits on updates, hard locked phones, slower LTE.

TBH their network is better. During Hurricane Sandy, Verizon networks around my area were the only ones that worked. Outside of that though, my AT&T has been just peachy. Sandy was a very rare thing though obviously.

Slower LTE, yes, but they cover more people. So depends if your area has AT&T LTE or not. And yea CDMA blows. Can't wait for VoLTE so we can get rid of all this shitty old generation technology.

gcubed

TBH their network is better. During Hurricane Sandy, Verizon networks around my area were the only ones that worked. Outside of that though, my AT&T has been just peachy. Sandy was a very rare thing though obviously.

Slower LTE, yes, but they cover more people. So depends if your area has AT&T LTE or not. And yea CDMA blows. Can't wait for VoLTE so we can get rid of all this shitty old generation technology.

I had no service in my house for 2 weeks after sandy... On Verizon

vivftp

Hmm, someone on XDA seems to want to tease something...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419113

He indicates Sept 4th will be interesting. Could it be Honami Mini? Here's the picture in question. All the lines and numbers are my own for scaling purposes up against the Blackberry Q10 beside it

So it's about 109.24mm tall, 57.88mm wide and judging by the shadows at the bottom of each phone they're about the same thickness so approx 10.4mm thick.

If this is Honami Mini then it's quite small for its rumored specs. Compare those dimensions against the iPhone 5 which is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm. Just for the record the rumored specs of Honami Mini are 4-4.3" 720p triluminos display, 2GB RAM, S800 processor, same elemental resistance as Honami and possibly has the same camera as Honami.

Alternate possibilities are this is a low/mid range phone, or a complete hoax. The poster on XDA is using a new account so who knows. Any insiders want to comment? :)

Vanillalite

I'm not from the US so I have to ask, is it because VZW is worse now or because AT&T has improved?

Bit of both. AT&T has built out their LTE network a ton so in most areas they've caught up. They also seem to have a better phone selection, gsm not CDMA, and their data plan is 3 gigs vs 2 gigs. They also have the fastest LTE Network.

Once Verizon get VoLTE shit will get real though.

I can only go by my own experience, but Verizon is still better than AT&T in my area (Los Angeles area). Whenever I go camping with my friends, only the Verizon phones get any reception (both voice and data). In my work building, Verizon has a more consistent signal (AT&T phones lose signal depending where you are in the building.)

Even in my house, I have a strong consistent LTE signal while visitors with AT&T are hit and miss. Same experience when I travel to other states. It's true that AT&T download speeds are generally faster, but I'll take better coverage than faster speeds any day of the week. Doesn't matter how fast it is if you can't use it.

Of course there are certain spots where AT&T gets signal while my verizon phone doesn't but that's very rare.

I agree with gcubed about "Less choices, longer waits on updates, hard locked phones, slower LTE." but that's the price I pay for great coverage. The day I see that another carrier provides equal or better coverage is the day I leave Verizon. If only T-Mobile coverage wasn't so crappy...

vivftp

I am waiting for the Sony Honami phone... I hope it comes out on ATT.

Its between that and the iphone 5S/6...

In case a smaller model is what you're aiming for, then you can probably add Honami Mini to that list. It's supposed to be just as powerful as its big brother, but be in a much smaller package. Hoping that pic I linked to above is it as that's a bloody tiny phone for something so powerful.

The screen. The entire review was glowing besides the camera and battery. You took the only slightly negative things they said and used it as a summarysummary. Hell, they fellated it

I said it wasn't as good as those in the same price range, not that it was bad. In fact:

In short, the 720p display on the Moto X is great, though not the best

So looks like i'm ok, but you can't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom