• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/08/25/moto-x-review/

MobileSyrup's Moto X review.

Terrible camera in low light
Battery isn't that good
Screen isn't as good as other devices in price range
Don't complain about the price because "it will go down" lol

But it's well built and comfy.

With the Moto X, I don’t get that feeling. I don’t concern myself with how quickly it will feel dated or how long it will take me to covet some new handset. Like the iPhone 4, which still today feels modern, the Moto X exists outside the venerated smartphone wolf pack. It’s not necessarily a better phone, though it exudes elements of superiority, but it’s the best whole Android experience I’ve ever had.

Lawl.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The blog is a good idea. Too bad we just speculate instead of news. But we could be the Gruber of Android.

a blog run by pctx, kaepernickehs, unknown soldier and shinshoryuken would get soooooooo many page views. just gotta hard code it so they can't edit each other's articles.

Edit wars would be stupid. It would only be funny if we couldn't even edit our own posts to the blog, actually.

The greatest myth of late 2013. Verizon's better than ATT.

Less choices, longer waits on updates, hard locked phones, slower LTE.

There is nowhere in the country you couldn't go where Verizon would not be objectively better than AT&T where it counts, in network coverage.

AT&T LTE benchmarks faster than Verizon LTE because hardly anybody is using AT&T LTE right now. Verizon already has 30-40% of their customers on their LTE network and it is holding up well even in the launch cities.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 720p display on the Moto X is perfect for its size, weight and hardware combination. A 1080p display more heavily taxes the GPU and the battery, and adds nothing of value to the Android experience, especially in a device of this size. Full HD is a spec, and the race to the top is one that Motorola wisely chose to stay away from.

The argument is a non-starter; the Moto X runs flawlessly. Not only does it have more than ample headroom to power even the most arduous of apps and games, but I’d argue that the phone has been sufficiently optimized to run faster than most devices on the market.

kehs

Banned
Has there been a ROM dump from the moto x yet? In curious to see if they did in fact leave the framework alone.

If there has been one already I'm guessing they didnt touch it, cause I'm sure android police would have posted their blur rant post haste.

If nothing else, we have to give Moto credit. They used to have the worst Android builds on the market, my old Droid X still gives me nightmares about how bad it was. So at least their software is up to par now. Too bad about the hardware.

xptoxyz

You guys want a tumblr or a WordPress blog?

Blogger Stock.
lol
. Seriously now, an opinion, not sure what you're targeting but though I've seen more professional looking tumblrs recently I'm not used to associate them with that, so it depends what you're aiming for. As for wordpress, seems to be more expandable and customizable especially if you ever want to move of the "wordpress.com free option" into a place of yours running the platform.

fritolay

Is there and way to watch flash videos through the browser on android? Specifically Amazon's Prime instant videos.

Last time I did, I used firefox. Search firefox and Amazon Prime

If nothing else, we have to give Moto credit. They used to have the worst Android builds on the market, my old Droid X still gives me nightmares about how bad it was. So at least their software is up to par now. Too bad about the hardware.

I liked my droid x better than my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It lasted longer too.

Hmm, someone on XDA seems to want to tease something...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419113

He indicates Sept 4th will be interesting. Could it be Honami Mini? Here's the picture in question. All the lines and numbers are my own for scaling purposes up against the Blackberry Q10 beside it

So it's about 109.24mm tall, 57.88mm wide and judging by the shadows at the bottom of each phone they're about the same thickness so approx 10.4mm thick.

If this is Honami Mini then it's quite small for its rumored specs. Compare those dimensions against the iPhone 5 which is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm. Just for the record the rumored specs of Honami Mini are 4-4.3" 720p triluminos display, 2GB RAM, S800 processor, same elemental resistance as Honami and possibly has the same camera as Honami.

Alternate possibilities are this is a low/mid range phone, or a complete hoax. The poster on XDA is using a new account so who knows. Any insiders want to comment? :)

Looks like a legit device, but I don't think it is the miniature flagship, I think it's a different phone. We will see 9 days...

Alright guys, so tomorrow i decided im gonna root my phone, just for the hell of it but a few questions.

If install cyogenmod or whatever its called, will i lose zoes and have a worse camera? I use the feature all the time for my 1 yr old granddaughter. Id hate to lose it.

Also, any step by step instructions? Xda looks like a minefield and frankly the users are dicks.

I hear about having to install multiple pieces of software as well as cyogenmod. Plus antennas or something and a bunch of other stuff. Whats the best?

Any downsides?

Cheers.

vivftp

Looks like a legit device, but I don't think it is the miniature flagship, I think it's a different phone. We will see 9 days...

Interesting. All insiders seem to have been indicating Honami Mini was a Q1 2014 device for global launch, and at least one had indicated it might hit Japan for this December. I guess that's why some were hoping it might be shown at IFA.

IFA should be full of excitement. I was afraid we might already know about all items Sony were going to show, so it's nice there's at least one mystery device on the books.

Alright guys, so tomorrow i decided im gonna root my phone, just for the hell of it but a few questions.

If install cyogenmod or whatever its called, will i lose zoes and have a worse camera? I use the feature all the time for my 1 yr old granddaughter. Id hate to lose it.

Also, any step by step instructions? Xda looks like a minefield and frankly the users are dicks.

I hear about having to install multiple pieces of software as well as cyogenmod. Plus antennas or something and a bunch of other stuff. Whats the best?

Any downsides?

Cheers.
well, first step is rooting is about getting full access (access to the entire phone OS) and doesn't actually change the OS other than having root access to the OS, while what you're talking about is flashing CyanogenMod, which is a different firmware which does change quite a bit on the device, including the removal of the HTC custom apps and features, such as the HTC Camera, Zoe, Blinkfeed, etc.

as far as XDA being a minefield and XDA users being dicks goes... that's where the information is. if you get a guide elsewhere, most of the time it was just copied, reworded from or inspired by an XDA thread. for popular handsets, that's where the bulk of information is, though there tend to be other forums that are more knowledgeable on less popular devices.

CyanogenMod (CM) does not come with the Google apps package (gapps) preinstalled, so you typically have to install the latest gapps bundle after a successful installation of CM in order to use the Google Play Store and other Google apps.

my suggestion: just root for now, don't worry about CM or other roms yet.

Any downsides?

Cheers.

I don't see any down side at all.

I had 4.2.2 for months now and 4.3 is currently available.

Just flash a known ROM and you should be fine with stability.

I've given a lot of advice on the official One thread.

I don't see any down side at all.

I had 4.2.2 for months now and 4.3 is currently available.

Just flash a known ROM and you should be fine with stability.

I've given a lot of advice on the official One thread.

Is this an official 4.3 rom with sense?

well, first step is rooting is about getting full access (access to the entire phone OS) and doesn't actually change the OS other than having root access to the OS, while what you're talking about is flashing CyanogenMod, which is a different firmware which does change quite a bit on the device, including the removal of the HTC custom apps and features, such as the HTC Camera, Zoe, Blinkfeed, etc.

as far as XDA being a minefield and XDA users being dicks goes... that's where the information is. if you get a guide elsewhere, most of the time it was just copied, reworded from or inspired by an XDA thread. for popular handsets, that's where the bulk of information is, though there tend to be other forums that are more knowledgeable on less popular devices.

CyanogenMod (CM) does not come with the Google apps package (gapps) preinstalled, so you typically have to install the latest gapps bundle after a successful installation of CM in order to use the Google Play Store and other Google apps.

my suggestion: just root for now, don't worry about CM or other roms yet.

Alright thanks, i saw how to root on gizmondo whichlooks legit. Question is, if i just root and nothing else, is there any point? I dont know what the bonus is.

kehs

Banned
lol andrex, I might sue.

btw, I'm totally down to write random stuff for a blog, but it's just gonna be me bitching about googletv.

DzoKnH7.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People who talk up a 720P screen like it's better than a 1080P one baffle me. No, they're not at all better. And yes, they're noticeably different. The only win is battery life but just how much is it, really? Should have stuck a semi decent battery in the Xphone instead, too.

So Kaeper is in! What about the rest of you?

Sure, it'll be fun. Just needs a better name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom