• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanius

Cheers, i'm about to install Android Rev HD. I can't flash the new firmware as I guess i'm S-ON still, but it says I shouldn't need to.

So wish me luck!

I'm on Android Rev HD as well and I didnt flash the new firmware.
I have S-Off though, it's more painful for me to update it.
Anyway have fun and good luck

kehs

Banned
I just got my mahoganny skin from dbrand.

I'm such a dork.

I haven't put it on yet, but it looks better in pictures than it does in person. =/

kehs

Banned
siriglasssnark1_640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Pathetic much?

mkenyon

Banned
The differences I'm reading on the battery life are mind boggling.

We get this from Anandtech:

Of course, the real question is how the Moto X stacks up to the competition in our objective tests. I have to admit that my initial subjective impressions of the Moto X battery life were not all that great. My first time daily driving the Moto X was after getting it in NYC and flying home – I left the hotel with it fully charged, spent 4 hours in a plane with it in airplane mode, and Moto X still died in the baggage claim before I could make it home. The second time I daily drove the Moto X, I also managed to kill it doing nothing out of the ordinary before I got back home. I honestly can’t remember the last time I drained a phone completely actually using it. Since those couple of times I haven’t had problems making it through a full day when I’ve daily driven the Moto X, but that’s with my usual opportunistic charging from every available wall socket and USB port, and my mixed use definitely isn’t 24 hours, rather closer to 8.

And this from Engadget:

As I write this, my Moto X is still carrying a 28 percent charge after one day, two hours, 12 minutes and three seconds. And I'm a heavy user. To give you a better idea of how I arrived at this number, allow me to explain my personal usage habits. Spotify is nearly always running on my phone when I'm in transit, which, here in New York City, means almost any time I'm not sitting. When I'm idling, I usually launch Pocket to catch up on news, voraciously refresh and scan Twitter (set to sync every 15 minutes), have constant emails pouring in and out that I read and respond to, Hangouts that I periodically indulge in, Maps for rushing off to various meetings around town and Chrome for the 20-plus links I have open at any given time.

It's sad, but I am that person at dinner or drinks who's always staring at his phone. And that sort of behavior nets you a 28 percent charge on the Moto X after one day, two hours, 12 minutes and three seconds without battery saver enabled. That result bests even Motorola's own conservative claim of 24-hour battery life. Under the strain of Engadget's formal battery rundown protocol, in which an HD video plays on a loop, the Moto X's 2,200mAh cell lasted 11 hours and 15 minutes. Clap your hands, people. This is the battery life you didn't know you were missing.

"When McKinnon wanted to supplement Okta’s longstanding native iOS app with a first-class Android app, he decided to only support the latest versions of the operating system — which means leaving out a majority of Android users"

* only supports 'latest versions' of the OS

* still uses outdated menu button

yeah, pure clownshoes dev here.

It took CEO Nirav Tolia’s team less than four months to ship its Android app, which supports operating systems all the way back to version 2.2.3, about 95 percent of the market. But it had to rely on web technologies, rather than native Android code, to drive the somewhat complicated process for signing up new users, a process that is native in the iOS version.

so basically... they rushed that shit out as fast as possible. and it's not their fault. because... ANDROID

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Okta Inc.&hl=en

They literally have one app on android.

wat?

Am I missing something?
nope, you probably put in more work in your search than they did in their Android efforts.

mkenyon

Banned
Unless it's deceiving, looks like a good aspect ratio. That's my #1 gripe about Android tablets, and why I still stick with the iPad (mini).

Zeppu

I should email Okta and tell them how much they'd pay me to suffer through the matrix of pain and create their shitty one-trick-pony app while adhering to Android guidelines and supporting 2.1+. I guarantee I could do that in less than 24hrs, 22 of which I'd spend laughing maniacally.

yyzjohn

Banned
I should email Okta and tell them how much they'd pay me to suffer through the matrix of pain and create their shitty one-trick-pony app while adhering to Android guidelines and supporting 2.1+. I guarantee I could do that in less than 24hrs, 22 of which I'd spend laughing maniacally.

I kind of guessed their app doesn't look very complicated at all. I mean how much "pain" did they actually endure coding that?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I started off making iOS apps and my experience with Android has been very positive, yes you have to make decisions about how many resolutions and processors you want to actively support but the fact Google makes it so easy to work out what devices are using your app, and gives you so much information about how to adjust your app...it's no where near as bad as people make it out to be.

Now getting the Nexus 4 to work as a development device, that sucked, and I still can't debug with a Samsung and the Nexus 4 off of the same PC...but that's another issue.

(continues)

* Unnervingly, the network status logo and bars are also a different shade of blue than the battery and time icons adjacent to it.

* There’s also AT&T address book preloaded which cannot be removed, which is a huge annoyance.

* There’s also a provisioning check for bluetooth and WiFi tethering, another indication of an operator-touched device.

* The status bar has different spacing for the the cellular and WiFi indicator logos which carries over as a result of Blur (the spacing issue is just the "4G LTE" or similar status logo disappearing when on WiFi).

* Also the on-screen android buttons sometimes appear transparent, showing what's under, which definitely isn't a stock implementation.

[Stock Android]

The differences I'm reading on the battery life are mind boggling.

We get this from Anandtech:

And this from Engadget:
well, in one hand you have AnandTech and in the other hand ... well, don't worry about *what* is in the other hand, just know that you should wash it with soap and water.

Unless it's deceiving, looks like a good aspect ratio. That's my #1 gripe about Android tablets, and why I still stick with the iPad (mini).

doesn't look 4:3 to me

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(continues)

* Unnervingly, the network status logo and bars are also a different shade of blue than the battery and time icons adjacent to it.

* There’s also AT&T address book preloaded which cannot be removed, which is a huge annoyance.

* There’s also a provisioning check for bluetooth and WiFi tethering, another indication of an operator-touched device.

* The status bar has different spacing for the the cellular and WiFi indicator logos which carries over as a result of Blur (the spacing issue is just the "4G LTE" or similar status logo disappearing when on WiFi).

* Also the on-screen android buttons sometimes appear transparent, showing what's under, which definitely isn't a stock implementation.

[Stock Android]

1 billion times more stock than that garbage Shitwiz.
JjqPxqZ.png

mkenyon

Banned
This is amazing.

Also why do people even listen to reviews other than anandtech really
As someone who is well versed in things PC, I find that side of their reviews to be particularly shitty as of late.

I'm totally foreign to the cell world really, and don't know who to trust. Like for PC stuff, I don't really go anywhere outside of TechReport and PCPer, with OC3D and Guru3D being good for specific things. My understanding of cell phone testing methods and quality reviewers is non-functioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom