• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my buddy just gave me his old Nexus One. It's a huge upgrade over my last phone (Blackberry Curve 8550), but already it has slowed down immensely compared to when I got it just a few days ago, and the battery life is absolute crap. Other than going to the Sprint store and getting a new battery, any suggestions to alleviate the issues?

switch back to the curve.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Make video, attach it to my text, hit send. Done.

What is so hard about this again?
Not sure if it's the same between carriers but any MMS video i send gets compressed to shit. I just use whatsapp or gmail it if it's under 20mb. Android's video sending situation is pretty terrible.

Arkanius

Android Prism: The Run Down

Here are the GAF users that have signed up so far.

Kaeper
Bboy AJ
Jazzy Network
Groof
DrFunk
Divvy
Ephemeris
Talon
kinggroin

It's also worth noting Talon said he has a Journo background so he can be an editor.

I'd like to get at least one article up on the blog perday once we start going. It also might be nice to pick a topic each week and do an editor round table where everyone writes their own blurb on each weeks topic. So we could pick a topic for next week with the idea that we'd post the story next Friday meaning if you want in you'd need to have it done by Thursday night.

Also if any of you hooligans want to do a podcast we could add that to the site or if you do something video wise we could just link to the youtube video.

Try and keep it clean and professional even if we aren't exactly The Verge or Engadget. Groof said he'd edit the current banner in the morning and pm me a dropbox link when he is done. We are totally down for other tries though and Groof himself said take something else as it'll probably be better.

Everyone involved with the blog so far if you would be so kind as to post where you live at least in terms of the Country as it could give us an idea on our area the editors could cover. We could have EU people write articles pertaining to the EU, Canadians could write about the great white north, and USA peeps could write about USA happenings.

As for now I just made everyone an author on the site with me being the admin. That being said I'll probably bump Talon up to an editor. Anyone else genuinely want to be a site editor verses just a site author? Just let me know! I'm also down for any suggestions. So feel free!

I'd like variety of content ie news, reviews, general thoughts, and press event reactions. Don't forget to tag your posts. The more tags the better as it helps in terms of getting views and search hits.

Sorry if I suck at all of this as I've never run a big blog with a bunch of people before, and sorry if I haven't done much with the site yet. I planned on doing some stuff tonight, but the woman wanted to have some fun together. :p

Oh yeah also if you want to write a quick blurb about yourself we could add those to the about page.

/end ramblings for now

I'm interested but I have no real experience in blogging. I'm just an Android Enthusiast

Zeppu

Here is my audition for Android Prism

Nexus 7 (2013 Revision) (European edition)

Google, despite their power, immensity and their vastly superior maps database seem to have misplaced every other continent except North America. For this reason the latest revision of their highly popular Nexus 7 device has not yet been released in Europe. As a result, despite the glowing reviews from the other side of the pond, the European version has a 0 dpi screen, terrible data/wifi connectivity and non-existent response and feel.

0/10

I might be able to help out, Brett. May not have out of college journalism experience (it is my major), but I have three years of in-school managing editor experience. All six at some point as a writer. One as advertising director.

Depends what this trimester looks like, honestly.

If you'd like, PM me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I tried Whatsapp, but it complained it was too big. I think the receiving end are iPhone users, so I can't assume they're using Hangouts either. iPhone does automatic resizing and compression after you record the video; is there really no app that does this on Android? I just assumed it was such a basic standard thing to do that I didn't realize I had taken the functionality for granted.

Not sure if it's the same between carriers but any MMS video i send gets compressed to shit. I just use whatsapp or gmail it if it's under 20mb. Android's video sending situation is pretty terrible.

Easiest is to have G+ autoupload on. Then simply share the video with the recipient. They can see it on youtube no matter what OS they are using. Compressing for mms is a waste as the quality is awful. In the alternative, some Android phones have camera settings for MMS, so they will limit the length of the video to what fits in an MMS.

this_guy

Man Android is terrible when it comes to how easy it is to send videos to someone compared to iOS. I'm surprised more people don't complain about it.

Have you tried a text/mms replacement app such as Handcent or GoSMS? I think with both of those programs you can set your max limit size for mms. They are also just front end replacements to your sms app and don't require the other party to have to download the app.

(I've never tried sending video so I don't know if it'll work or not, but I use Handcent for group text messaging since it wasn't build into Android until 4.2)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Some of you lol... Acting like you need to audition haha...

Anyways I got everyone's PMs, and I plan on sending the invites out at lunch. I was slack and didn't do it this morning before I left the house.

Zeppu

Bwahahaha, if I were to buy an N7 locally:

1EkzffY.png

---

Re the blog. There are millions of blogs already which do traditional coverage. How about we have a satire section and become the Onion of tech news. God knows we're good at that.

kehs

Banned
Bwahahaha, if I were to buy an N7 locally:

1EkzffY.png

---

Re the blog. There are millions of blogs already which do traditional coverage. How about we have a satire section and become the Onion of tech news. God knows we're good at that.

That's sorta of what I was planning for most of my posts. =X

p.s. brett maybe we should set up a g+ cirlce or chat room or something so we don't clog up this thread?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Next wave of invites sent.

So is the new consensus to go with the new modified version of Groof‘s logo for the header?

Sky Chief

Man I am so excited for next week. Can't wait to see the Note 3 and Honami and whatever else gets announced. Just got a text message yesterday from Verizon that I am eligible for an upgrade on my Galaxy Nexus. Honestly though thinking about switching to AT&T or T-Mobile when my contract is officially over just so I can buy a real Nexus from the Play Store.

Fox318

Moving up from the Galaxy Nexus I feel like the Note 3, Lg G2, or next Nexus might be the phone to buy.

I just want software buttons. The slide up to Google now gesture and other mods is awesome. The menu button should be banned.

http://www.geek.com/android/no-you-cant-re-create-the-moto-x-with-apps-1568497/

In case anyone was wondering, performance is best when software and hardware are optimized together. This is probably something Google is grudgingly realizing, hence their purchase of Motorola. It's the reason that a Note 3, no matter how beastly in power, will not (on average) be as smooth to use as an iPhone 5, or maybe now a Moto X. Too bad, though, because I could go for a Moto X-style optimized phablet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

In case anyone was wondering, performance is best when software and hardware are optimized together. This is probably something Google is grudgingly realizing, hence their purchase of Motorola. It's the reason that a Note 3, no matter how beastly in power, will not (on average) be as smooth to use as an iPhone 5, or maybe now a Moto X. Too bad, though, because I could go for a Moto X-style optimized phablet.

That can be done with Android. It just takes effort.

mkenyon

Banned

From what I understand, some of this has to do with how the operating system handles the workflow. The best example is on google maps. If you load up maps on android, and start zooming/moving it around, it continues to load data of the map as you are doing this. If you load up maps on iOS and start zooming/moving the location, it pauses all data loading into maps. I wish I could find that article that explains it in better detail. But, iOS always pauses whatever is going on to allow rendering, which makes it feel more smooth.

Groof

holy shit this site, why the fuck does it have both a static header and footer that can't be shrunken down??!

besiktas1

:( I wanted 6+...
not really
My next phone. After 5 months with my nexus 5, now I know I need,
Bigger screen. Removable battery, more than 8 gb :(, micro sd.

Easiest is to have G+ autoupload on. Then simply share the video with the recipient. They can see it on youtube no matter what OS they are using. Compressing for mms is a waste as the quality is awful. In the alternative, some Android phones have camera settings for MMS, so they will limit the length of the video to what fits in an MMS.

How does this work with making the video only available to the person that I want to see it? I don't want to make it public, but an issue I ran into last night after trying one of these online storage suggestions, in this case Google Drive, was that I ran into the end user having permission problems. It was such a paini in the ass. Capturing in a lower quality isn't ideal either because I'd still like to keep the video in high quality. I don't want to sacrifice quality and at the same time I don't want to have to think about what quality ahead of time that I want to capture something in. It should be like, oh this is great, let me video capture it, and then afterward think, oh my wife will want to see this, let me send it to her.

In the case of this video, it was more about the audio that was important than the video so I was willing to sacrifice video quality in order for it to arrive. As long as they could hear it, it would be fine.

Have you tried a text/mms replacement app such as Handcent or GoSMS? I think with both of those programs you can set your max limit size for mms. They are also just front end replacements to your sms app and don't require the other party to have to download the app.

(I've never tried sending video so I don't know if it'll work or not, but I use Handcent for group text messaging since it wasn't build into Android until 4.2)

Well I tried Whatsapp but that didn't seem to work but I guess not exactly the type of SMS app you're referring to. Even that said, what you're suggesting is to remove the file size limit of the mms which while it may work, but now I have to deal with sending the video in it's full size which would be slow. Ideally, there should be something like what the iPhone does where it will recompress the video to a smaller size that's more fitting for sending a video to someone.

yyzjohn

Banned
How does this work with making the video only available to the person that I want to see it? I don't want to make it public, but an issue I ran into last night after trying one of these online storage suggestions, in this case Google Drive, was that I ran into the end user having permission problems. It was such a paini in the ass. Capturing in a lower quality isn't ideal either because I'd still like to keep the video in high quality. I don't want to sacrifice quality and at the same time I don't want to have to think about what quality ahead of time that I want to capture something in. It should be like, oh this is great, let me video capture it, and then afterward think, oh my wife will want to see this, let me send it to her.

In the case of this video, it was more about the audio that was important than the video so I was willing to sacrifice video quality in order for it to arrive. As long as they could hear it, it would be fine.

Well I tried Whatsapp but that didn't seem to work but I guess not exactly the type of SMS app you're referring to. Even that said, what you're suggesting is to remove the file size limit of the mms which while it may work, but now I have to deal with sending the video in it's full size which would be slow. Ideally, there should be something like what the iPhone does where it will recompress the video to a smaller size that's more fitting for sending a video to someone.

A lot of people like Handcent: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms&hl=en

Has a bunch of stuff in the description about MMS messages, resizing etc.

A lot of people like Handcent: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms&hl=en

Has a bunch of stuff in the description about MMS messages, resizing etc.

This looks pretty nice and I'm going to try it out, but from the description it doesn't sound like it addresses my problem exactly in a good solution. They only resize photos and not videos. Their video solution seems to be to break it up rather than to resize it. I'll have to try and see how it works, but splitting the video up into parts doesn't seem ideal to me. Thanks for the link and suggestion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom