• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What a great night. Hangouts get voice on the desktop and a new Maps apk. Awesome. Now I need Hangouts on mobile to get voice calling.

jokkir

A lot of this Android app development stuff is going over my head lol >> How similar is this to making other programs with a GUI (Windows, etc etc)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A lot of this Android app development stuff is going over my head lol >> How similar is this to making other programs with a GUI (Windows, etc etc)?

Not really much at all. Views and Activities and Threads are a bitch, lol.

kehs

Banned
Da fuk....nfcing on two devices through opera sends a link to the play store instead of the page URL your viewing. (Spoiler alert, they both have the same version of opera installed.)

Fix that shit opera.

OK wait that's the default action for android beam if the app doesn't do shit.....wtf.

Lol, you can only swipe in for the navigation bar where the tab is on the bottom in Google maps. Typical Google being disjointed.

Go get Basic4Android.
It's Basic for Android.

I use it all the time to make small applications for my co-workers, and to show off some of my interface designs. It's simple, but useful. :)

AP update says there are multiple variations of the update. Might be a good idea to uninstall any sideloaded APKs and wait for the correct one for your device.

Also, fuck whoever decided to release every update as a staged rollout.

JordanKZ

Hmm...is it just me or has the Voice Input button on Google Keyboard disappeared?

Its there. Did you tick the check box to move it onto your symbols keyboard?

New maps looks great, it's a real shame that we've lost functionality in the process.

Toki767

Its there. Did you tick the check box to move it onto your symbols keyboard?

New maps looks great, it's a real shame that we've lost functionality in the process.

I've tried virtually every setting for it. It won't show up on the main or symbols keyboard for some reason.

Toki, go to Language and Input in settings and recheck Google Voice Typing.

Edit: Really? Never gave me the option to before. Or I didn't notice it..

Toki767

Toki, go to Language and Input in settings and recheck Google Voice Typing.

Edit: Really? Never gave me the option to before. Or I didn't notice it..

Ah, that did it. Wow I feel stupid now. Guess that's what happens at past 1 AM lol.

Anyways, that feature was called Pop Up Play. It was originally used to demonstrate the power of having a quad core device. Though the US variants with dual core CPUs did it fine too.

Though experimenting with that, I found out that if you turn it off, the comma will be on the first page in place of the voice key and not in the secondary page of keys. That's incredibly useful, considering I never used voice typing before.

Toki767

Though experimenting with that, I found out that if you turn it off, the comma will be on the first page in place of the voice key and not in the secondary page of keys. That's incredibly useful, considering I never used voice typing before.

Yeah, but let's be honest. Most people who text never use commas lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i have a question. i went back to touchwiz after using cm10 for so long, and touchwiz' browser is absolute garbage. is there a way i can remove it and replace it with the stock android browser?

i have a question. i went back to touchwiz after using cm10 for so long, and touchwiz' browser is absolute garbage. is there a way i can remove it and replace it with the stock android browser?

Why would you ever use the stock browser?

Yeah, but let's be honest. Most people who text never use commas lol

Always do. Type like I would an English paper, as do a large majority of my friends. I cannot stand text speak.

Toki767

If I recall, Touchwiz's stock browser was pretty much the stock Android browser but with more features.

Why not install Chrome or Opera or Dolphin?

Always do. Type like I would an English paper, as do a large majority of my friends. I cannot stand text speak.

I do too, but my friends sadly don't and they're nearing their 30s.

I'm planning to wipe my ZTE blade clean to improve speed and free space. I've backed up everything so far except my contacts which is proving to be a headache.

I've got contacts all over the place and I worry I will lose some. There are starred and favourite contacts and various groups which I accidentally use in a drunken haze. For some reason I clicked the stupid sync thing by accident which downloaded about 2000 useless e.mail addresses from my Gmail account. The only thing that has kept me sane is the "show only contacts with phone numbers" filter.

Can anyone suggest a simple tool to help me view and then back this up with confidence?

is there an HDMI input (i.e. the speakers are connected to a newish stereo receiver?) If so, grab a roku and throw plex on it.

Not using a receiver. I just have a set of active monitors with inputs on them. So I would need some sort of connected receiver (in theory an Airport Express that could take in any kind of signal from anything).

I guess a bluetooth audio out dongle might be my only solution right now.

Nicktendo86

The original Optimus G also had a glass back.

edit: dat maps update

So is the G2 confirmed glass? If so, good. Must mean they are keeping wireless charging.

Just sideloaded the new maps apk, my god it is so much better it is not even funny.

Groof

So is the G2 confirmed glass? If so, good. Must mean they are keeping wireless charging.

Just sideloaded the new maps apk, my god it is so much better it is not even funny.

Don't know, but going by the leaked video from earlier it looks more like plastic, but that may just be some prototype casing.

tino

Banned
I don't know about you guys. Phone news don't do anything to me anymore.

I hope gadget sites start reporting non smartphone news soon because I don't see any fresh idea coming to phone hardware or software recently.

HawkeyeIC

Realization just sunk in that I'm probably going to end up with a Droid Maxx (on Verizon and not switching, so no Nexus)...ugliest phone out there, but great internals, radios, and battery life will sway me over the One.

gcubed

I hope gadget sites start reporting non smartphone news soon because I don't see any fresh idea coming to phone hardware or software recently.

i'm actually kinda excited to see more about the xfone ... i know its not going to a powerhouse, but a cheap off contract phone sold more places then just the play store has the chance to really disrupt the market... and if it has insane battery life, a screen suitable for a normal human being and quick google provided updates, i think i'm actually in. If the nexus 5 is the G2 with a 5" + screen, i'm not so sure

tino

Banned
i'm actually kinda excited to see more about the xfone ... i know its not going to a powerhouse, but a cheap off contract phone sold more places then just the play store has the chance to really disrupt the market... and if it has insane battery life, a screen suitable for a normal human being and quick google provided updates, i think i'm actually in. If the nexus 5 is the G2 with a 5" + screen, i'm not so sure

I don't understand your points of view. If you can afford a $500/$600 phone, why do you care how good a $300 phone is? Its only relevant to you if you are 1 google or 2 have GOOG stock. No offends I think this is just "sales age" crap spill over from the gaming side.

Why the heck would any phone have noticeable better battery life? Battery technology has no advanced in the last 10 years. The battery life is directly proportional to the wright of the battery in your phone.

I don't understand your points of view. If you can afford a $500/$600 phone, why do you care how good a $300 phone is? Its only relevant to you if you are 1 google or 2 have GOOG stock. No offends I think this is just "sales age" crap spill over from the gaming side.

Why the heck would any phone have noticeable better battery life? Battery technology has no advanced in the last 10 years. The battery life is directly proportional to the wright of the battery in your phone.
There's one difference though: Google has changed society in ways much more profound than the influence of video games, and they strive to do so every day. I'm a huge fan of initiatives like Loon and self driving cars, so I'm not ashamed of rooting for Google. If they start their own city-state tomorrow I'd move there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-new-google-maps-app-for-smartphones.html

The offline maps feature for Android is also no longer available. Instead we’ve created a new way for you to access maps offline by simply entering “OK Maps” into the search box when viewing the area you want for later.

Yes.... "simply."
e5YuU.gif
Horribad UI for offline Maps but everything else is such a massive improvement I kinda forgive it.

jokkir

Not really much at all. Views and Activities and Threads are a bitch, lol.

Ah. I thought learning this would help me prepare for when I eventually get to stuff with a GUI at school. I guess not hahaha

Go get Basic4Android.
It's Basic for Android.

I use it all the time to make small applications for my co-workers, and to show off some of my interface designs. It's simple, but useful. :)

I'll check that after I go through all the documentation in the Android Developers site. Or whenever I understand the whole concept of it

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Phone hardware isn't all that exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to hardware reveals, yeah. But it's just reiterative crap.

Software, however, can still be exciting. There's still tons more a phone can do. I mean, heck, Hangouts still doesn't have VOIP.

Nicktendo86

Phone hardware isn't all that exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to hardware reveals, yeah. But it's just reiterative crap.

Software, however, can still be exciting. There's still tons more a phone can do. I mean, heck, Hangouts still doesn't have VOIP.
2013 is all about software as far as I am concerned, can't wait to see klp and whether it brings the os ui into line with the Google now style.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Talon

Phones can do more in terms of sensors and other vectors for inputs - assuming consumers are willing to pay some privacy for convenience.

Wearables will be the area for hardware innovation in the next few years. Really, battery life is one point where phones could be much improved, and energy density has been stagnant for the better part of five years.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Hangouts doesn't really need VOIP right now IMO, but I'd love for it to get all of Voice's features.

- Actual number to your Hangouts for people to call.
- Call forwarding.
- SMS support (and finally add MMS? A guy can dream.)
- Answering messages.

kehs

Banned
OK Maps

ahahaha

Pretty much what Battersea is saying below. I've been behind supporting companies that are changing things. I love T-Mo's bold move to go off contract, because it'll better communications down the line. A $300 phone off contract is easy to swallow for people if you tell them you don't have to sign a contract, especially for people who travel frequently.

There's one difference though: Google has changed society in ways much more profound than the influence of video games, and they strive to do so every day. I'm a huge fan of initiatives like Loon and self driving cars, so I'm not ashamed of rooting for Google. If they start their own city-state tomorrow I'd move there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom