• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Wait what. I just got upgraded to 4.3 from 4.3.

m-night-shyamalan(2).jpg

;)

Its a security update apparently. Havent received it yet on my N4.

LIES. some said it was ok, and PhoneDog said it was bad.

still waiting on the GSMArena battery tests to drop...

Yeah...I believe anandtech ...there's nothing really appealing about the moto x. If there was I would have got one...

Lol 1080p phone with quad core phones battery life is comparable to what moto x has to offer....very laughable..

mkenyon

Banned
I think you're gonna need to define "heavy". Your sentence suggests and end result of 10 hour screen time.
post is meaningless without battery stats screenshots
Caveat: My idea of fairly heavy use is checking GAF often and listening to podcasts/spotify (though not streaming spotify). I specifically wasn't reserved about my usage, just like I'm using my Note. This kind of usage would kill it within 8 hours.

Also, the camera is worse than stepping in a pile of dog shit barefoot. This is after ~10 minutes of playing with all the settings, and keeping the camera still as possible. I'm good at taking pretty pictures, and I just couldn't with this guy.

Dat 720p screen :p
Specs specs specs. I get that as an insane PC enthusiast. With phones though, if using it is butter smooth, the screen is pretty, is there any real objective reason to have some crushing specs?

I mean, with PC's, if I spend $800 on a video card, I can play games with 8.3ms frametimes on a 120Hz monitor. Overclocking the processor to insane speeds also allows this. With a phone? I'm not trying to play Dota or Tribes with this. I'm trying to
read GAF and check out /r/girlsgonewild
be productive.

The screen is gorgeous, IMO. I'm not an IQ snob, but even on close inspection, it looks nearly the same as my wife's One.

Alright, so if I want a Nexus 4 to be used with T-Mobiles $30/month (unlimited text and web, 100 minute talk) prepaid plan. What I have to do is:

-order the phone for $250 off Google
-order the micro sim card for $10 off T-Mobile
-go to a T-Mobile store and tell them to activate it for me
-prepaid plan get?

mkenyon

Banned
Wifi on is always going to give good battery life.
It wasn't connected to a WiFi signal for a majority of that. Only the last ~2 hours.
The quote in my post is from Anand's review. Nothing about it says anything close to "good."
Yeah, I was worried after reading that as it came out two days after I placed the order. First sign of it falling towards 'meh' battery life this bitch is going back to the depths of Fort Worth. I will then await the Nexus 5 or *gasp* iPhone 5S. The latter of those two options makes the freedom loving anarchist inside of me cringe, but I just want some god damned battery life. Without it being a Razr.

Ephemeris

Alright, so if I want a Nexus 4 to be used with T-Mobiles $30/month (unlimited text and web, 100 minute talk) prepaid plan. What I have to do is:

- then:
simpdancer8buw.gif

Fixed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Time and time again, the Nexus line demonstrates its superiority. Why do you guys even bother with this Xphone crap.

-prepaid plan get?
If you pay more than $1 for the sim, you are doing it wrong. Wait for a sale. And I activated mine online.

Jesus... those Moto X battery reviews are all over the fucking place.

yup, and even the ones thats say its good ain't even that impressive if compared to the S4/One...

having the most gorgeous 1080p screen of the One/S4 is better than the good enough doesn't look bad 720p of the moto x

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
anandtech and phonedog.

Those are the two that say it's not good.

The ones that say it's good pretty directly reference it being better than the S4/One's.

It's the truth.

While we wish the Moto X had a giganto battery like the new Droid MAXX for Verizon, we are happy to report that battery life here is rock solid. Even with very heavy usage (tons of web browsing, navigation, phone calls, and playing HD games every chance we got) we'd generally make it to 1am with 15 percent battery to spare. We'd expect a normal, lighter user to get the 24 hours Motorola claims, no problem. That's particularly impressive given that, again the Moto X is listening for your trigger command and often lighting up part of the screen to display icons. It milks that 2200 mAh battery for all it's worth, and handily outlasts the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5.
- Gizmodo

I used it heavily for 15 hours before it died, and if you use it like most people use their phones, you won’t need to charge it during the day. It lasted for 7 hours, 14 minutes on the Verge Battery Test, which loads popular websites and high-res images with brightness at 65 percent; that’s a very good score, far better than the HTC One and the GS4, but well below class leaders like the Maxx or the Galaxy Note II.
- The Verge

I'll be honest, it does take some getting used to, seeing your display illuminate and then wondering / worrying about the hit on battery life. So far, that 24-hour battery life claim has proven true and that's without the battery saver option turned on.

It's sad, but I am that person at dinner or drinks who's always staring at his phone. And that sort of behavior nets you a 28 percent charge on the Moto X after one day, two hours, 12 minutes and three seconds without battery saver enabled. That result bests even Motorola's own conservative claim of 24-hour battery life. Under the strain of Engadget's formal battery rundown protocol, in which an HD video plays on a loop, the Moto X's 2,200mAh cell lasted 11 hours and 15 minutes. Clap your hands, people. This is the battery life you didn't know you were missing.

- Engadget

Moto X has impressive battery life. But just like any other phone, the more you use it, the more battery it uses.
- AndroidCentral

Battery life is really good. Motorola claims 24 hours of battery life, maybe a lighter user could get that out of it but I didn't. I still got a number closer to 14 to 16 hours of battery life out of this phone. You really have to be using it all day to kill it, and it most certainly is a longer lasting phone than the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One. And the remarkable thing is this isn't even a huge battery, physically. It's smaller than those other phones: it's a 2,200 mAh power battery, but, you know, Motorola knows battery and that's the thing. They've had a lot of experience with it when they made the Droid Razr Maxx. I am very, very pleased with the battery life in the Moto X, especially considering its size.
- Marques Brownlee

I'm really struggling to think of a review that doesn't go out of its way to praise the battery (other than Anand's.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh sorry cool pro google guy, yes I'm being wrong....I should just have laugh silently at how people thought the moto x battery will be the saving grace....

spec ain't no thang!!

And I'll laugh silently about your nonsensical, barely cogent posts.

The only real 4G is LTE. Anything else is fake 4G that some carriers brand as 4G to make themselves feel better and fool their customers into thinking they have something they don't.
Nope. The original classification was LTE Advanced and WiMax 2, and the later clarification included LTE, WiMax and anything with comparable speed, so HSPA+ qualifies.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Hey Guys

My trusty Galaxy Nexus shat itself today. When I plugged in the charger it just created a burning smell. Now it's dead.

Got the admin girl to run up to Telstra and buy a new phone. I told her to get a Sony Xperia Z, HTC one or last resort an S4. She got me an S4.... I'm pretty disappointed that I won't have stock android. I was holding out for the Nexus 5 but I need a phone desperately for work. Is there an easy guide to get stock android on there? Has anybody done this and can make any recommendations? Should I just deal with touchwiz??

HELP!

Arkanius

Hey Guys

My trusty Galaxy Nexus shat itself today. When I plugged in the charger it just created a burning smell. Now it's dead.

Got the admin girl to run up to Telstra and buy a new phone. I told her to get a Sony Xperia Z, HTC one or last resort an S4. She got me an S4.... I'm pretty disappointed that I won't have stock android. I was holding out for the Nexus 5 but I need a phone desperately for work. Is there an easy guide to get stock android on there? Has anybody done this and can make any recommendations? Should I just deal with touchwiz??

HELP!

Give it back and get the One or the Xperia Z.
If that isn't possible, it's pretty easy to convert the S4 into a Google Edition version with stock Android. I bet somewhere in XDA there is a tutorial for you to do it.

Anything is better than TouchWiz god damnit. I don't know how I suffered for so long since the S1.

Hey Guys

HELP!
Don't deal with TouchWiz. I've tried it, and coming from a Nexus it's kind of frustrating. It takes so many extra clicks to do simple tasks.

If your version of the device is the i9505 model, you can look at this guide:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/how-to-turn-a-galaxy-s4-into-a-google-edition-phone/

If it's another model, there are similar Google Play Edition guides you can look up. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

Alternatively, after you root and unlock the bootloader, you might want to try a ROM like LiquidSmooth, as it allows you to deactivate and dim the capacitive buttons and put on the on-screen buttons you're used to (I turned the hardware home button into a camera shortcut).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2346995

tino

Banned

-prepaid plan get?
Just buy the sim off ebay, for about 5 bux. Its already activated.

I don't know why the Prepaid OT thread is locked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Authority

According to press materials released by the carrier, the device will arrive on September 13, which is a Friday. Furthermore, O2 is already listing the LTE Nexus 7 (2013) on its website, saying that the tablet will be exclusive to the carrier.

O2 provides some pricing details for the tablet as well. The Wi-Fi only version wih 32GB of storage will cost £249.99, while the LTE model will sell for £319.99.

First official date for the LTE model. I assume it should launch at or around that date across the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom