• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

And I imagine that's true for most of us here.

That's also why nobody in here actually gives a shit about the Droid Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, HTC One Mini, etc.

I wanted to be interested in the One Mini and S4 Mini, but then their specs came out.

The S4 also was a true flagship in terms of specs and screen quality. And camera. Motorola + Cameras = death.

That's my point.

This was back in June, and Klug said that they literally drove from all the way to Athens to Smyrna looking for LTE signal. That's ridiculous.

The only thing to look at is whether it's actually less battery life than the RAZR Maxx.
yeah. and the Moto X is almost the same phone as the Ultra, except for hand feel/build quality, screen size and allegedly via The Verge, battery life.

I wanted to be interested in the One Mini and S4 Mini, but then their specs came out.

you should wait for the Honami Mini. apparently it will have a 720p screen, but the other specs will all be S Class.

And I imagine that's true for most of us here.

That's also why nobody in here actually gives a shit about the Droid Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, HTC One Mini, etc.

i would care if they had a good sliding qwer...nah, i'm over that now too. bring on the Note 3 or a real competitor. c'mon LG, do something!

Faceless, we know that if it ain't made out of chintzy plastic that you ain't interested.

i'm fine with metal as long as signal doesn't take a hit and it still has a removable battery. i'm not down with glass anywhere except on the face and rear camera.

Isn't the software different?

they both run Android 4.2.2 with Motoblur

wtf peeps, i thought we already covered this in the Anandtech review part of the thread...

right from the build.prop

# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.build.version.full=Blur_Version.139.9.51.ghost_ att.ATT.en.US

remember ghost was the codename for the Moto X? yeah.

The iPhone is underpowered but has great performance, that's what the moto x is to android.

Except there's not a ton of iPhones out there with better specs and the same price. If you want an iPhone theres the choice of fast, faster or fastest, all at different prices.

Talon

The iPhone is underpowered but has great performance, that's what the moto x is to android.
The iPhone is "underspeced" when it comes to the CPU and RAM, but every edition has a cutting edge GPU. That's where Apple puts a lot of its dimes, and it shows.

Motorola Google can't really match the end-to-end experience when it comes to battery life and performance no matter what they do, though.

mkenyon

Banned
Update:

YR9a7Zu.png

Downloaded two extreme quality playlists on Spotify via 4G, and watched most of a 20 min tech review on Youtube.

mkenyon

Banned
Would be more interested in your battery life when you're not on wifi constantly.
It's on, but I'm not on WiFi, as I said before.

The only time I was connected to a WiFi network was from about 8pm to 8am this morning, and I was sleeping during 8 hours of that.

mkenyon

Banned
As requested:

Testing PC parts is my hobby, and I'd love to extend it here. If there's anything I should be doing in specific that would shed some light on interesting data to folks, please let me know. I see my 2-3 week period as a chance to put this through the ringer, not to validate my purchase :p

I can think of a number of situations already where I didn't even have to turn the screen on, as I was able to use the Active Notifications to see the text/ghangouts message. The feature is working as intended for me so far.

As requested:

Testing PC parts is my hobby, and I'd love to extend it here. If there's anything I should be doing in specific that would shed some light on interesting data to folks, please let me know. I see my 2-3 week period as a chance to put this through the ringer, not to validate my purchase :p

I can think of a number of situations already where I didn't even have to turn the screen on, as I was able to use the Active Notifications to see the text/ghangouts message. The feature is working as intended for me so far.

I want to see how much screen time you can get on that thing with a single charge. Yesterday I got 5 hours of screen time, with data and wifi turned on all the time, as well as Dynamic Notifications (exact same thing as Active Notifications as a free app) and Utter (same as that OK Google Now). I watched a 15 minutes video from what I remember and had my brightness on automatic which I think was equal to around 50%

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
As requested:

I get 5.5 to 6 hours of screen time on my stock Nexus 4 on 4.3.

mkenyon

Banned
I want to see how much screen time you can get on that thing with a single charge. Yesterday I got 5 hours of screen time, with data and wifi turned on all the time, as well as Dynamic Notifications (exact same thing as Active Notifications as a free app) and Utter (same as that OK Google Now). I watched a 15 minutes video from what I remember and had my brightness on automatic which I think was equal to around 50%
I think a lot of the benchmarks out there kind of cover this, but I'll try it as well.

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to decide which Android-based phone to purchase (been using an iPhone 4 for the past 2+ years and a 3G before that for about another 2). I was looking into an iPhone 5 but bypassing Apple's jailbreak policies have been too tiresome and I've decided to make the switch.

I'm deciding between the Xperia Z or the Galaxy S4 and while I do know that the S4 out performs and has a better screen than the Z, I'm in love with the build quality and UI of the Z. I've done some research on XDA Developers but quite frankly, it's a ton of new information to process and I haven't become familiar with all the technical terms that are specific to Droid devices so I was wondering:

1) Is there a way to have the Xperia Z UI on a GS4? I'm a big fan of the Sony UI Skin on the Messaging and Phone apps (I hate the blue/green-centric UI on the GS4).

2) Should I just wait for the Sony Honami Z1?

EDIT: I have TMobile; also live in USA.

Depending on where in the world you live, wait for the Z1. It should be on sale in three weeks.

If you are in the US then I would get an S4, not sure about the Z1 timetable on T-Mobile except that it is confirmed for "before Black Friday".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to decide which Android-based phone to purchase (been using an iPhone 4 for the past 2+ years and a 3G before that for about another 2). I was looking into an iPhone 5 but bypassing Apple's jailbreak policies have been too tiresome and I've decided to make the switch.

I'm deciding between the Xperia Z or the Galaxy S4 and while I do know that the S4 out performs and has a better screen than the Z, I'm in love with the build quality and UI of the Z. I've done some research on XDA Developers but quite frankly, it's a ton of new information to process and I haven't become familiar with all the technical terms that are specific to Droid devices so I was wondering:

1) Is there a way to have the Xperia Z UI on a GS4? I'm a big fan of the Sony UI Skin on the Messaging and Phone apps (I hate the blue/green-centric UI on the GS4).

What about the Nexus 4 since it has price dropped?

mkenyon

Banned
Some screenshots after dinking around with the privacy settings. I'm pretty glad they made this clear after the Droid X debacle. This was my #1 reservation about getting a motorola device.

The last paragraph there is the one of note. Going to hook it up to a router and wireshark to see if it actually stops the data from being collected.

Zapages

Hi guys,

EDIT: I have TMobile; also live in USA.

I would say wait for the Sony Honami Z1... I am waiting for it or iphone 5S/6...

You seem sure of that. Any sources?

Actually I read it wrong now that i've come back lol Was mistaking it for a phone manufacturer and not the Sony code name device.

For the Honami there is a chance, but I still think it's a small one. The Z is exclusive to Bell, the ZL is on Rogers but is a very, very low seller (like the T before it).

In my humble opinion it's either gonna be Bell exclusive so Rogers can't have it, or Rogers wont want it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Sony phones in the USA. The Z came out on Tmo like almost half a year after it was out on the rest of the world. Stick with what you know. What's out now or soon (Note 3 or N5 etc).

I wouldn't hold my breath on Sony phones in the USA. The Z came out on Tmo like almost half a year after it was out on the rest of the world. Stick with what you know. What's out now or soon (Note 3 or N5 etc).

My brother-in-law who works for Sony said that that was primarily because Sony was trying to secure a contract with T-Mobile after being rejected by AT&T since they had a history of shitty phones. Now that there's a contract secured, it shouldn't take TOO long for the Z1 to release (hopefully).

Zapages

My brother-in-law who works for Sony said that that was primarily because Sony was trying to secure a contract with T-Mobile after being rejected by AT&T since they had a history of shitty phones. Now that there's a contract secured, it shouldn't take TOO long for the Z1 to release (hopefully).

any chance of it coming on ATT... I am with them. :\ I really want the Z1... It looks really good. :) Plus I like the design.

mkenyon

Banned
Other than Moto X?

I'm either going to get the iPhone 5S or Nexus 5 if that's released.

Not willing to go with any other phone line. Not dealing with bullshit modded OS.
This thought is starting to creep up again more and more with me. Thinking about sending this back if any solid N5 rumors pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom