• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

i'm tempted to buy a 8gb N4 just n case, but only 8GB ...

I guess this means n5 will be 300 again so great news. PLease announce it asap

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

Note 2 - Note 3

this_guy

Caveat: My idea of fairly heavy use is checking GAF often and listening to podcasts/spotify (though not streaming spotify). I specifically wasn't reserved about my usage, just like I'm using my Note. This kind of usage would kill it within 8 hours.

Also, the camera is worse than stepping in a pile of dog shit barefoot. This is after ~10 minutes of playing with all the settings, and keeping the camera still as possible. I'm good at taking pretty pictures, and I just couldn't with this guy.

Specs specs specs. I get that as an insane PC enthusiast. With phones though, if using it is butter smooth, the screen is pretty, is there any real objective reason to have some crushing specs?

I mean, with PC's, if I spend $800 on a video card, I can play games with 8.3ms frametimes on a 120Hz monitor. Overclocking the processor to insane speeds also allows this. With a phone? I'm not trying to play Dota or Tribes with this. I'm trying to
read GAF and check out /r/girlsgonewild
be productive.

The screen is gorgeous, IMO. I'm not an IQ snob, but even on close inspection, it looks nearly the same as my wife's One.

It's about the specs AND price. If you can get another phone that is smooth, but has a better screen and camera for the same price, then why wouldn't you do that? Unless woodgrain back and always on voice activation is that important to you.

It's not fair either to call both EVDO and HSPA+ 3G since CDMA 3G is terribly slow while HSPA+ is pretty damn fast.

Yeah it is fast. 4G is HSPA+ basically, LTE is on it own.

Took me 10 minutes of arguing with a customer about this. He bought an iPhone 4S and took it down to the states. When he was there his device said he was on 4G and when he was here in Canada it said 3G. He then came back to me complaining that we have a shit LTE network and I need to give him a new SIM card so he could get LTE over here with his 4S.

It was frustrating to say the least.

kehs

Banned
I'm not saying there's a new post up at the prism blog, but there might be a new post up at the prism blog.

brett: there's no categories set up yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not saying there's a new post up at the prism blog, but there might be a new post up at the prism blog.

brett: there's no categories set up yet.

I haven't set up anything yet. I was just getting out invites and throwing up the banner. I plan on making categories this weekend as well as switching up people's site privileges and throwing something up on the about page.

As it stands I just have the banner up and I defaulted to inviting everyone as an Author. I got two people who said they'd be editors in Talon and Wsfan. Anyone else want to be a general site editor (you can still do articles too! :p)

jmdajr

So I guess Verizon is offering better data plans for those who join their EDGE program.

6gb for 30 bucks, or 8gb for 50 bucks with tethering.

The Edge program basically sells you the phone at full price, and you pay it over 24 months.

Or, after 6 months you can upgrade, and start paying that phone off from square one.

I think I'm better off using my best buy credit card and keeping my unlimited data plan.
I just don't know how many months I get of no interest on a smart phone.

So I guess Verizon is offering better data plans for those who join their EDGE program.

6gb for 30 bucks, or 8gb for 50 bucks with tethering.

The Edge program basically sells you the phone at full price, and you pay it over 24 months.

Or, after 6 months you can upgrade, and start paying that phone off from square one.

I think I'm better off using my best buy credit card and keeping my unlimited data plan.
I just don't know how many months I get of no interest on a smart phone.

Just to clarify that's only being offered to people with unlimited data.

mkenyon

Banned
It's about the specs AND price. If you can get another phone that is smooth, but has a better screen and camera for the same price, then why wouldn't you do that? Unless woodgrain back and always on voice activation is that important to you.
Because, battery life > all.

And to be clear, I'm not 100% positive the Moto-X delivers on that. Currently testing, and I will continue to test for the next two weeks. If it fails, it goes back. I'm not one of those idiots that wraps up their consumer purchases with their ego :p

They only 'clarified' it after pressure from the various carriers.

but that clarification included LTE. so either LTE, WiMax and all HSPA+ count or none of them do and LTE Advance and WiMax are the only ones that count.

Hey Guys

My trusty Galaxy Nexus shat itself today. When I plugged in the charger it just created a burning smell. Now it's dead.

Got the admin girl to run up to Telstra and buy a new phone. I told her to get a Sony Xperia Z, HTC one or last resort an S4. She got me an S4.... I'm pretty disappointed that I won't have stock android. I was holding out for the Nexus 5 but I need a phone desperately for work. Is there an easy guide to get stock android on there? Has anybody done this and can make any recommendations? Should I just deal with touchwiz??

HELP!

just use the phone for a month with TouchWiz. if you're still dying over it, then don't worry, it's pretty easy to get CM or the GE rom on there.

Zeppu

HSPA+ is considered 3.5G around here.

The EU does as well because recently telecomms companies have been warned by EU that they aren't progressing fast enough in making plans to roll out 4G.

yo what up dawgs?

The Moto X consumed more battery juice in standby mode than normal, likely due to the Active Notifications and Touchless Control features. We measured the device with the aforementioned two off and it did slightly better by posting an endurance rating of 44.

Considering the relatively small endurance gain, we would recommend that you leave the Active Notifications and Touchless Control on. Both features add substantially to the Moto X’s appeal and they don’t deserve to be left without a tick in the settings menu.

Milchjon

Whoa, just saw the Verge Droid reviews. Didn't know there were major phones in 2013 that could earn such low scores. Are all the reviews this negative or is it just the Verge?

Talon

iVerge'd

almost the same phone as the Moto X but it's half as good because reasons.
Shitty build quality
Verizon bloat city
Ultra has terrible battery life
Maxx has worse battery life than the Droid RAZR Maxx

I'd say those are pretty salient reasons.

All of the Mobile and Verge show guys carry Android phones and have carried Android phones for the past year, so I don't know where the "i" even factors in.

There's literally no reason to get the Moto X now at the current price. They've sacrificed screen resolution and processor for no reason. It should have been for battery life, but it looks like it's not.

There's simply better phones out there.

Shitty build quality
Verizon bloat city
Ultra has terrible battery life
Maxx has worse battery life than the Droid RAZR Maxx

I'd say those are pretty salient reasons.

All of the Mobile and Verge show guys carry Android phones and have carried Android phones for the past year, so I don't know where the "i" even factors in.

i dunno man, their battery life measurements don't mesh with the real world, and since when has bloat or build quality meant a dip like that?

Talon

i dunno man, their battery life measurements don't mesh with the real world, and since when has bloat or build quality meant a dip like that?
The S4 review?

They're pretty consistent in their review with the bloatware complaint, and it's always put as a con in their reviews. We nerds here can say, "Durr, just root the phone," but these reviews are for a more general audience compared to the nerd sites. They only rate the out of the box experience and, frankly, that's the only fair way to play it when you have a general audience. Anand plays to a completely different audience than The Verge and Engadget.

The one phone where their results significantly varied from the rest of the reviews was the One. The Nexus 4 battery life was pretty bad at launch, and didn't Google put out a quick update within a month that was specifically aimed at battery life improvements?

Battery life reviews are always inconsistent between all these sites because they use very different criteria. Cnet (I don't know if they do this any more after firing everyone) used to do an aggregate of video and web browsing. Anand has a really specific test that includes using mobile data overnight.* GSM Arena stupidly puts 3G talk time on equal footing as web browsing and video playback. It also doesn't help when these completely no name sites run by amateurs like Pocket Lint and Android Syrup are put on equal footing with actual known entities.

*This struck me as really silly because it really varies on your reception quality. They even SPECIFICALLY said that they had trouble testing the S4 because they were looking for LTE signal on Sprint in Atlanta. I'm sure that wouldn't affect the review at all.

There's literally no reason to get the Moto X now at the current price. They've sacrificed screen resolution and processor for no reason. It should have been for battery life, but it looks like it's not.

Yup, hopefully people stop crying "its not about spec!".

Well they still have "the feel" and wood grain to fall back on.

mkenyon

Banned

I'm not trying to play Moto-X defense force, but that test has some pretty big holes in it.

For example, a big upside is that the active notifications require less frequent screen-on time. Even after just a day of use I'm noticing this. That can't be factored into the test.

Really, you can't take something as random and subjective as battery tests and use a single system to catch everything. It's ultimately about trying to find the most well rounded approach to give some basic data points, not be a conclusive empirical stance.

Is this not apparent?

The S4 review?

They're pretty consistent in their review with the bloatware complaint, and it's always put as a con in their reviews.

The one phone where their results significantly varied from the rest of the reviews was the One. The Nexus 4 battery life was pretty bad at launch, and didn't Google put out a quick update within a month that was specifically aimed at battery life improvements?

Battery life reviews are always inconsistent between all these sites because they use very different criteria. Cnet (I don't know if they do this any more after firing everyone) used to do an aggregate of video and web browsing. Anand has a really specific test that includes using mobile data overnight.* GSM Arena stupidly puts 3G talk time on equal footing as web browsing and video playback. It also doesn't help when these completely no name sites run by amateurs like Pocket Lint and Android Syrup are put on equal footing with actual known entities.

*This struck me as really silly because it really varies on your reception quality. They even SPECIFICALLY said that they had trouble testing the S4 because they were looking for LTE signal on Sprint in Atlanta. I'm sure that wouldn't affect the review at all.

for all their talk about how slimy and slick and snakelike and gross it felt, it still got the same "HTC ONE TOOK THE THRONE BUT THIS IS ALMOST AS GOOD" score.

when they reviewed the N4 at launch it did not have that patch.

and Sprint has some LTE in ATL!!!

i guess we can compare the other reviews of the Ultra and see if others also are reporting the same battery life divergence between it and the X.

hand feel dawg. like robust, nubile, supple virgin breasts.

Talon

I mean, let's be honest. Barely any of us has actually used more than 5 or 6 phones in the past two or three years as our daily driver.

These battery tests and spec sheets that we toss at each other are largely meaningless when we're not even interested in owning the device much less using it.

Talon

for all their talk about how slimy and slick and snakelike and gross it felt, it still got the same "HTC ONE TOOK THE THRONE BUT THIS IS ALMOST AS GOOD" score.

when they reviewed the N4 at launch it did not have that patch.

and Sprint has some LTE in ATL!!!

i guess we can compare the other reviews of the Ultra and see if others also are reporting the same battery life divergence between it and the X.
The S4 also was a true flagship in terms of specs and screen quality. And camera. Motorola + Cameras = death.

That's my point.

This was back in June, and Klug said that they literally drove from all the way to Athens to Smyrna looking for LTE signal. That's ridiculous.

The only thing to look at is whether it's actually less battery life than the RAZR Maxx.

I mean, let's be honest. Barely any of us has actually used more than 5 or 6 phones in the past two or three years as our daily driver.

These battery tests and spec sheets that we toss at each other are largely meaningless when we're not even interested in owning the device much less using it.

this stuff is all always interesting to me because i'm the one everyone in my circle asks about tech.

We nerds here can say, "Durr, just root the phone," but these reviews are for a more general audience compared to the nerd sites. They only rate the out of the box experience and, frankly, that's the only fair way to play it when you have a general audience. Anand plays to a completely different audience than The Verge and Engadget.

but that bloatware is tailor made and focus tested for that exact audience. those are the people who they are expecting to use that shit like VZ Navigator and Voicemail to text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom