• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Actually I read it wrong now that i've come back lol Was mistaking it for a phone manufacturer and not the Sony code name device.

For the Honami there is a chance, but I still think it's a small one. The Z is exclusive to Bell, the ZL is on Rogers but is a very, very low seller (like the T before it).

In my humble opinion it's either gonna be Bell exclusive so Rogers can't have it, or Rogers wont want it.

Well I have my upgrade option with Rogers so I'll hold out hope ;)

Great to hear Sony is apparently going to release the Z1 within 2-3 weeks after the announcement, at least in certain parts of the world. I guess we'll have to wait for availability elsewhere.

My old Xperia x10a has been on its deathbed for nearly a year now, so I can't wait to get my hands on Z1!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Android’s Hugo Barra Departs Google for China’s Xiaomi

HugoBarra-620-size-598.jpeg

yE030JI.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It makes it so that Google searches of GAF still work, and Live Reload makes it a non-issue.
JjqPxqZ.png

zedge

Played with a moto x at future shop tonight... didnt like it. Front bezel looks cheap too. Like the feel of my N4 better.

I hoped Google would announce a new Nexus 10 along with the Nexus 7, but they didn't. Is there any word on the street about a new Nexus 10? (All I could find were hazy details about a possible release by the end of the year.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yearly refresh. Nexus 7 released last Summer ergo the refresh. Nexus 10 hit around Nov so expect a refresh this fall. Also rumor has it ASUS will be doing the Nexus 10 as well.

jokkir

Typing out so much for the Android blog lol. What can we put on there anyway and what is the grand plan of it all? Will you get a URL for it later?

kinggroin

Banned
Well all these shitty reviews of the Moto X has started to make my one blog entry look absolutely foolish.

It was already corny as is, but ignorant as well? Damn. Wonder if I should follow through and post it anyway.

Edit: awoke to some stomach cramps at around 3:30am, so decided to put the allegory blog post on the back burner and write something else. My first contribution to the blog is up, written entirely from the comforting lap of the porcelain god.

kehs

Banned
Well all these shitty reviews of the Moto X has started to make my one blog entry look absolutely foolish.

It was already corny as is, but ignorant as well? Damn. Wonder if I should follow through and post it anyway.

Edit: awoke to some stomach cramps at around 3:30am, so decided to put the allegory blog post on the back burner and write something else. My first contribution to the blog is up, written entirely from the comforting lap of the porcelain god.

Just saw you edit, I was wondering what you meant at first.

Zeppu

Cases are the fucking worst.

It's only your first drop which hurts deep inside your soul. After that you stop giving a shit. Once it's gathered enough dents and hits that it's no longer presentable, then you could possibly consider a case.

I really never understood the point of having something in mint condition if no one ever gets to see it in said mint condition.

zomg, any info on a Canadian launch? I want to gef Honami ASAP. I hope Rogers picks it up

Should have wide availability like the ZL. Bell will definitely have it, there is a deal in place, but even then before CES there was only a single deal for the ZL and eventually it came out on all carriers in Canada. Z1 should be no different. I think the demand for Xperia now exists in North America where it didn't before, and I think the US based coverage of Z1 is going to be much more favourable than it was for Z and ZL. The only thing people can complain about is the size of the bezel, other than that it is almost perfect IMO. So fast and the screen is absolutely amazing.

Arkanius

It's only your first drop which hurts deep inside your soul. After that you stop giving a shit. Once it's gathered enough dents and hits that it's no longer presentable, then you could possibly consider a case.

I really never understood the point of having something in mint condition if no one ever gets to see it in said mint condition.

Brofist my brother

Cheebo

Banned
That's crazy, they must have offed him a ton of money. Who is this female Googler who's sleeping with everyone? Undercover Apple agent?

Doesn't sound like a money thing, more one that Google's co-founder took his girlfriend. I don't think anyone in Barra's position would want to still work for any company after that. Low blow Sergey, Barra is a huge loss. I bet Larry Page is pretty pissed at Sergey and his girl for having their personal drama result in the loss of Hugo Barra.

kinggroin

Banned

You read my blog post

Groof

Don't think so, but I haven't really been posting alot lately.

--

did brett ever send out the hangout thing?

I don't think he did, haven't gotten any hangout requests.

Anyone gotten the new Google keyboard 1.1 update? Supposedly adds long press number keys on tablets (fina-fucking-ly.) Haven't gotten it yet personally.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Should have wide availability like the ZL. Bell will definitely have it, there is a deal in place, but even then before CES there was only a single deal for the ZL and eventually it came out on all carriers in Canada. Z1 should be no different. I think the demand for Xperia now exists in North America where it didn't before, and I think the US based coverage of Z1 is going to be much more favourable than it was for Z and ZL. The only thing people can complain about is the size of the bezel, other than that it is almost perfect IMO. So fast and the screen is absolutely amazing.

Will either the Z Ultra or the Z1 be sold unlocked on SonyStyle?

Arkanius

Remember when I asked if Google Now is still a battery hog?
Yeah it still is.

I activated it for the past week, and my battery was draining way faster. A quick check to BBS says that NLP Collector Wakelock is draining the collective shit of my HTC One.
With Google Now off my phone truly deep sleeps.

Google needs to really find a new method for these background tasks. I love my Multitasking, but having such chaos in background tasks is horrible for battery life. No wonder iOS is always ahead in battery tests.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Galaxy NX camera coming to verizon for a kidney and lung:

Samsung wowed us back in June when it officially announced the Galaxy NX, an interchangeable lens camera powered by Android. Today, the electronics giant is announcing that the Galaxy NX will be available for purchase in October for $1,599 (or $1,699 if you want it with an 18-55mm zoom lens). That princely sum will get you a 20.3-megapixel APS-C sensor, hybrid contrast and phase detection autofocus, ISO sensitivity up to 25,600, 8.6 frames per second burst shooting, and 1080p video recording capabilities. The NX also features a 4.8-inch, 720p touchscreen and SVGA (800 x 600 pixel) electronic viewfinder, and is powered by a 1.6GHz quad-core processor — essentially it's a Galaxy S III smartphone grafted to the back of a camera.

Of course, what makes the NX unique among interchangeable lens cameras is the fact that it runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and has complete access to the Google Play Store and its many apps. Samsung has included many of the shooting modes available on the Galaxy Camera released last year, including over 30 smart modes. The NX also has built-in Wi-Fi, 3G, and LTE connectivity to make sharing of images quick and easy.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/29/4...axy-nx-camera-price-availability-october-1599

Sky Chief

Pretty good post. This is why I'm excited for smart watches. I like to go case free and being able to screen my notifications every time my phone beeps to see if they're important enough for me to pull my phone out of my pocket will greatly reduce the chances of it falling and breaking.

SimleuqiR

Remember when I asked if Google Now is still a battery hog?
Yeah it still is.

I activated it for the past week, and my battery was draining way faster. A quick check to BBS says that NLP Collector Wakelock is draining the collective shit of my HTC One.
With Google Now off my phone truly deep sleeps.

Google needs to really find a new method for these background tasks. I love my Multitasking, but having such chaos in background tasks is horrible for battery life. No wonder iOS is always ahead in battery tests.

They have. Its called "Moto X".

Arkanius

They have. Its called "Moto X".

Moto X does not have a "core" for this kind of stuff.
Quoting Anandtech

1 contextual awareness core, and 1 natural language core

Which are used for the notifications in the AMOLED screen, activating the camera, and everything else that uses motion.
The other core is for the voice actions.

Moto X solves nothing. What we need is something Brian Klug discussed once, which is Sync center, basically, making every app sync/request information at the same time to minimize the impact on deep sleep operation

potam

Banned
This waiting sucks. I am really looking to upgrade my iPhone 4S, but I'm trying to wait for the next iPhone and Android announcements.

And part of me feels like I should wait until next spring anyways so my wife and I can leave Verizon ETF-free.

Groof

I've never noticed any major battery drainage caused by Google now, which is actually quite surprising, considering what it does. I do think they'll start having dedicated processing cores for these kinds of things in the future though, to further diminish wakelocks. In Google devices that is.

Arkanius

I've never noticed any major battery drainage caused by Google now, which is actually quite surprising, considering what it does. I do think they'll start having dedicated processing cores for these kinds of things in the future though, to further diminish wakelocks. In Google devices that is.

Which I agree, somewhat.
A solution to a bad implementation shouldn't be throwing an independent processor to take care of it.
But yeah, I don't understand how some people have these huge NlpCollector wakelocks and others don't

Can you check BBS and see if you have these wakelocks?
I wonder if Google changed anything in 4.3 (I'm still on 4.2.2)

Zeppu

I'm fairly certain that Google Now uses the same syncing system which is used throughout the whole of the OS.

The new play services are also super optimized for geofencing/location awareness, etc...

The hit on battery life by Google now should be minimal in reality.

Groof

Which I agree, somewhat.
A solution to a bad implementation shouldn't be throwing an independent processor to take care of it.
But yeah, I don't understand how some people have these huge NlpCollector wakelocks and others don't

Can you check BBS and see if you have these wakelocks?
I wonder if Google changed anything in 4.3 (I'm still on 4.2.2)

Yeah, but I wager it will start doing a lot more than it currently does, which will warrant something like a separate processor. More than a solution, it will just be to boost battery life even more.

I do have the NIpCollector wakelock under Partial Wakelocks, but even though it's the top one it's still really low compared to some other things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What we need is something Brian Klug discussed once, which is Sync center, basically, making every app sync/request information at the same time to minimize the impact on deep sleep operation
I'm surprised this isn't a thing yet. It's such a simple idea, yet it would make a tremendous impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom