• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Apple does it by moving slow as molasses and only releasing a single version every year. There are multiple versions of Android a year. A long beta test would also just compound the problems for goobers on skinned phones, they'd have to wait even longer to get the updates.

Aside from that, I see it as a non-issue after ICS. If your app is optimized for 4.0 and Holo, your app still looks and functions great today. Unless you're doing some BS hacks that break with a new release because your coders are CS dropouts.

CS is cascading style right? I remember learning that in HTML class back a ways. Hated it though; preferred doing it all manually.

kinggroin

Banned
I think in light of the supposed optimizations for low-end devices 4.4 is bringing, I'll post my stupid allegory up with a preface.

mkenyon

Banned
Who in here knows much about cell signal boosters?

Bought a house, moved in last Thursday. I was judging cell reception by what I was getting on the property (5+ acres), and never checked inside the house. There's two rows of really big pines that ostensibly exist for privacy and to reduce road noise, which is great. However, they totally destroy my signal. I go from 4 bars of 4G to 1 bar of... something, when I move behind that tree line.

dPLSXe1l.jpg

There is a spot on the roof that should have a clear shot out of there, so would probably install it there.

Right now, looking between this, and this.

The amazon reviews aren't very helpful, as one would imagine.

Makes me miss the WiFi calling/data I got with T-Mobile.

mackattk

There is a spot on the roof that should have a clear shot out of there, so would probably install it there.

Right now, looking between this, and this.

The amazon reviews aren't very helpful, as one would imagine.

Makes me miss the WiFi calling/data I got with T-Mobile.

Call your provider and see if they can set you up with something. People have had success with getting them to give you a powercell for free to boost your signal to something acceptable. It's worth a shot.

Slayven

Is there a bug in android where the clock in the notification bar stops updating? Even though it shows the right time everywhere else? Seen it on a couple of tablets.

Is there a bug in android where the clock in the notification bar stops updating? Even though it shows the right time everywhere else? Seen it on a couple of tablets.

I had this countless times on my Galaxy Nexus. I thought of it as part of the pure Android experience.

Rich!

Right. I've got an HTC One. I fucking love it. However, there's one small problem - I'm running out of space, and theres no SD slot.

So, I need a solution. Is there any way to access another location via WiFi/home network and have the android system treat it as storage?

For example, if I booted up an emulator I could go onto the file browser and navigate to it as if it was removable storage and load a game.

My phone is rooted. Thanks in advance!

Milchjon

I love the design of the 4.4 homepage even more. Can't wait to see it on a phone.

Yeah, it's nice. Apart from fucking Youtube, all Google services look better and better (even though I hate a lot of their functionality changes in Search, Maps and Gmail).

Looking across the smartphone landscape today, who would've thought that at some point in history MS would be the company that leads a whole industry forward with its design...

Right. I've got an HTC One. I fucking love it. However, there's one small problem - I'm running out of space, and theres no SD slot.

So, I need a solution. Is there any way to access another location via WiFi/home network and have the android system treat it as storage?

For example, if I booted up an emulator I could go onto the file browser and navigate to it as if it was removable storage and load a game.

I don't know about loading games. It depends on the emulator you're using, but I'm guessing they're all coded to only load from local storage, and that read/write speeds would get in the way of loading from a NAS, for example.

However, there are plenty of solutions for storing other files. Astro and most other good file managers will let you add network locations.

Rich!

I don't know about loading games. It depends on the emulator you're using, but I'm guessing they're all coded to only load from local storage, and that read/write speeds would get in the way of loading from a NAS, for example.

However, there are plenty of solutions for storing other files. Astro and most other good file managers will let you add network locations.

Yeah, I use Astro a lot already. Well, at least I used to - ES File Manager is much, much better. All my music is streamed from my PC too, same for video.

the issue is games. Android native ones take up a surprising amount, and I've ripped a whole load of PS1 games for epsxe too.

Volotaire

Got the perfect solution for you!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/m3r.html

the adapter is small (smaller size of a quarter in US apparently), just a bit bigger than a micro sd card and can fit up to 64gb

They're now taking pre orders for non backers, the colors come in black, white, orange and metallic silver (perfect for the HTC One!).

Compatible with these devices:

-Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note, Note 2, Galaxy Express, Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.
-HTC One, HTC First, HTC One X+, Evo 4G LTE, DROID DNA.
-Motorola Moto X, Droid Mini, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, Xyboard 8.2" Tablet.
-Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7 (2012 Original & 2013 New) & Nexus 10; requires third-party software or device being rooted.
-Sony Xperia Z; Xiaomi 1S, 2, 2S, 2A, Xiaomi Box; Meizu MX, MX2; Huawei Ascend D2, Mate; Asus MeMO ME171.

Its 12$ plus 2$ shipping, so about £9.

Comes with this as well

Talon

wtf is app.net?
App.net:Twitter::Google+:Facebook

Despite the cute analogy, it's a Twitter clone that was made because they hate that Twitter is basically shutting down 3rd party development and becoming commercially-focused. So it's like a nerd's Twitter that you pay for.

Volotaire

Oh wow. That's awesome.

That would do nicely. Thanks!

It's not shipped to backers yet as they are starting to ship now, so non backers will have to wait a few weeks /1 month. But yeh, seems like a great device. Getting one for my HTC One. Reason I chose it over the S4.

It probably will impact battery life a bit though, but probably a negligible amount.

Ahahahahaahhahahahaha. Only Moto X users can use the Ultra Strike weapon in Ingress? Fuck you, Google.

I should be able to edit my build.prop to spoof this, no?

Alright so what's new in android today, just got back from work. I read about kitkat, or at least I only read that there will be a 4.4 named kitkat. Which once again makes me believe 5.0 is going to be the bees fuckinf neez if they keep pushing it out.

Also are they paying for that name? any details on it? Nexus rumours? FILL ME IN.

So it's a series of apps designed around a stream of social media updates? How does something like pocket (in their directory) work with it?

it's an ad-free social network API designed around not screwing with 3rd party devs and end users. it's not popular because ... well, there's not enough reason to switch from twitter and also they charge devs and users, though there are free user accounts to be had now.

Alright so what's new in android today, just got back from work. I read about kitkat, or at least I only read that there will be a 4.4 named kitkat. Which once again makes me believe 5.0 is going to be the bees fuckinf neez if they keep pushing it out.

Also are they paying for that name? any details on it? Nexus rumours? FILL ME IN.

at first people thought Nestle was paying, but aparently no money has changed hands and it's just a mutually beneficial international cross promotion.

kehs

Banned

Google bought RIM.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Think Willy Wonka.

Staring this week specially marked Kitt Katt bars will have Android on the package. Inside will be codes to enter online to win stuff like a new Nexus 7 or Google play credit.

It is ad cross promotion.

Also shit leaked ahead of the conference surprise surprise.

Also we got more blog posts.

Think Willy Wonka.

Staring this week specially marked Kitt Katt bars will have Android on the package. Inside will be codes to enter online to win stuff like a new Nexus 7 or Google play credit.

It is ad cross promotion.

Also shit leaked ahead of the conference surprise surprise.

Also we got more blog posts.

what conference and can someone link me to this goddamn blog already

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Made by LG again, good move as the Nexus 4 has been the most premium feel Nexus device so far.

Could be a trend going forward? Asus and LG working with Google on new Nexus device each year.

I know its just a screengrab from a video but the Nexus 5 looks to be wider than the N4, same screen as the Optimus G2?

Doopliss

Hope that's not a glass back!

Well, it'll probably be my next phone either way. Looks a bit bigger than the Nexus 4, tough luck kid-sized-phone lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom