• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Fuck! We all new LG was going to do another Nexus but I was hoping for a manufacturer that doesn't have so many build quality issues. LG, Moto, Samsung are all pretty terrible. Wish Sony was the new Nexus partner.

11 Nexus 4s and counting. Current one has terrible squeaks from the cheap rubberized bezel around the phone. The bezel by the USB port sounds like an old wooden door when the slightest amount of pressure is placed on it.

kinggroin

Banned
Think Willy Wonka.

Staring this week specially marked Kitt Katt bars will have Android on the package. Inside will be codes to enter online to win stuff like a new Nexus 7 or Google play credit.

It is ad cross promotion.

Also shit leaked ahead of the conference surprise surprise.

Also we got more blog posts.

My post has a reply!!

Fuck! We all new LG was going to do another Nexus but I was hoping for a manufacturer that doesn't have so many build quality issues. LG, Moto, Samsung are all pretty terrible. Wish Sony was the new Nexus partner.

11 Nexus 4s and counting. Current one has terrible squeaks from the cheap rubberized bezel around the phone. The bezel by the USB port sounds like an old wooden door when the slightest amount of pressure is placed on it.

bro you just have bad luck
Man it looks bigger than the Nexus 4 which is already approaching too big for me. I hope its just the angle...

maybe it has one of those developer cases on them which makes them bigger. Or something.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I think so. I love the phone and have gotten one for my gf and her mom (also got her a Nexus 7) but damn.

I'll probably get a Nexus 5 next year around this time when the sale begins. Still the best value vs. performance in the mobile world.

I couldn't stand the S4 after a few hours. So glad I kept my Nexus even with all of its build quality issues (most have been ironed out with the nipple redesign).

Man it looks bigger than the Nexus 4 which is already approaching too big for me. I hope its just the angle...
well, if it's based on the G2...
DvmzoW8.jpg

Cipherr

Yep thats LG, oh well I lose this that bet I made this year. Excited though

It also clearly has a glass back. I could make a GIF but Im working right now. Ill do it later if noone has by then.

It is a bit annoying because with bezels as small as the G2 if they just went to 4.7 or something that phone could be awesome in size. If it really is G2 size I'm gonna hope they back it up with BEAST battery life.

I just find it hard to believe at a screen that big with 1080p, a big battery, plus a big camera as it looks like in the pic would still cost 300 bucks. But who knows.

It also clearly has a glass back. I could make a GIF but Im working right now. Ill do it later if noone has by then.

Looks like matte or rubberized plastic to me. If it's glass, it's awfully dull glass.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
It is a bit annoying because with bezels as small as the G2 if they just went to 4.7 or something that phone could be awesome in size. If it really is G2 size I'm gonna hope they back it up with BEAST battery life.

I just find it hard to believe at a screen that big with 1080p, a big battery, plus a big camera as it looks like in the pic would still cost 300 bucks. But who knows.

Yes please. I have zero complaints about the N4 battery life as I think it's great but if the size increases I want a huge battery. That's bone thing Moto does right. I imagine the Nexus 5 being $399 for the 16GB and $469 for the 32GGB. I don't think Google will have the audacity to release an 8GB phone in today's market unless the iPhone 5C (hideous) is 8GB.

Woah there Nelly.

What happened to all that speil about one handed use that thing the dude is holding is gargantuan, sigh, could they at least make a version for those of us with none gargantuan hands. The woman is holding an LG but what brand phone is the dude holding and the camera sensor on his looks enormous.

Some poor dude in the background looks like he's rocking a galaxy nexus.

I've rewatched the video a few times, and there's no reflection on the back, only the logo. Compare that with the N4 in the same shot, which has a reflection.

Looks like matte or rubberized plastic to me. If it's glass, it's awfully dull glass.

Indeed.

Woah there Nelly.

What happened to all that speil about one handed use that thing the dude is holding is gargantuan, sigh, could they at least make a version for those of us with none gargantuan hands. The woman is holding an LG but what brand phone is the dude holding and the camera sensor on his looks enormous..

There's rumors of a Nexus 4 made by Motorola, and a Nexus 5 made by LG. The LG one is the one the guy is holding.

Cipherr

I've rewatched the video a few times, and there's no reflection on the back, only the logo. Compare that with the N4 in the same shot, which has a reflection.

Indeed.

You both are absolutely right, I just noticed it. The girl is holding a N4, only the guy is holding the new phone. I saw the reflection on the girls phone and assumed it was the same.

But yeah, looks like a non glass back. Hoorayyyy for coming to their senses on that shit.

Woah there Nelly.

What happened to all that speil about one handed use that thing

What spiel?

Quasar

It's 500 dollaz, you can buy a RX100 for $500.

It is too pricey for me, but that advert makes me lust for one quite a lot. Having the lens separate from the view frinder like hat is really cool.

But hey if the lens is good and it can save raw I could be sold.

ISOM

Another prototype was spotted in the crowd:

uoQaGaz.png

It could be the same LG phone from a different angle, but it looks smaller to me. Moto Nexus 4?

It makes sense if they are making two different size phones like the rumors from a couple of weeks ago. One made by motorola and the other made by LG.

What spiel?

Pretty sure at the galaxy nexus introduction and the nexus 4 as well I think one of the factors Duarte and Barra cited in the design of the nexus range was excellent one handed use.

Indeed.

There's rumors of a Nexus 4 made by Motorola, and a Nexus 5 made by LG. The LG one is the one the guy is holding.

Just realised the lady is in fact holding a nexus 4 and android police within the comments section seem pretty convinced the dude is holding an LG branded phone as well.

Just realised the lady is in fact holding a nexus 4 and android police within the comments section seem pretty convinced the dude is holding an LG branded phone as well.

Are you joking? I can't tell.

The last page or so in this very thread that you're reading is about the guy holding an LG Nexus 5...

Cipherr

The last page or so in this very thread that you're reading is about the guy holding an LG Nexus 5...

Well yeah I thought it was LG, but I was looking at the girls phone not realizing that it was an N4. I cannot make out any branding on the guys phone. So I guess it very well may still be up in the air. My prediction has life again!

Yes I knew but I can't make out any branding on his phone, the lady's on the other hand I can make out an LG and identify it as a nexus 4. Even the cleared up shots on AP are horribly indistinct.

Was comparing it to the G2 as well which everyone expects the N5 to be based on and well no back button but I guess Google would have passed on that and camera lens is very different.

So while I was waiting at the Verizon store today I played around with every phone and holy shit that blackberry on screen keyboard is amazing. iOS and android don't come close.

So while I was waiting at the Verizon store today I played around with every phone and holy shit that blackberry on screen keyboard is amazing. iOS and android don't come close.
Thought this the first time I used it but after multiple goes kind of not that great.

What's wrong with putting the best 3 predictions above the keyboard instead of in between the letters themselves.

tino

Banned
Why are you guys calling it a LG? somebody want to show me a diagram? The Op G2's camera is clearly in a different position.

Is there any way to turn off text prediction on Swiftkey? Am I fucking blind? I don't see any option for it. All the predictions force the predicted word on me and I can't do shit about it.

jokkir

Is there any way to turn off text prediction on Swiftkey? Am I fucking blind? I don't see any option for it. All the predictions force the predicted word on me and I can't do shit about it.

Change it from quick typing to normal typing and pressing space wont enter the word.

malfcn

Damn. I avoided Candy Crush, but was talked into it. More like Battery Crush.
Playing that a couple of times through the day wiped out my phone.

I don't know how much I could get for it, but I'd sell this GS4 in a heartbeat for the Nexus 5.

On the topic of screen size, as someone going from a 4" display to 5" display, I think people complaining about phones getting too big are over-exaggerating. The S4 is a lot bigger than a Nexus S, but the first time I held it, it didn't all that much larger. The only thing about the Nexus S I prefer is the thickness. The S4 is too thin. Anyway, I don't consider myself to have big hands either, though maybe I do. Having used the S4 for a couple of weeks now, I think 5" is just a tad bit smaller than what I really want. I want a Note size Nexus now.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I don't know how much I could get for it, but I'd sell this GS4 in a heartbeat.

On the topic of screen size, as someone going from a 4" display to 5" display, I think people complaining about phones getting too big are over-exaggerating. The S4 is a lot bigger than a Nexus S, but the first time I held it, it didn't all that much bigger. I don't consider myself to have big hands either, though maybe I do. Having used the S4 for a couple of weeks now, I think 5" is just a tad bit smaller than what I really want. I want a Note size Nexus now.

I got rid of my G4 within four hours. The terrible screen, awful performance and Touchwiz made me return was asap. Biggest piece of Shir I've ever bought. Thank god for return policies. I feel bad for so many people saying it's decent, let alone good haha idiots.

I got rid of my G4 within four hours. The terrible screen, awful performance and Touchwiz made me return was asap. Biggest piece of Shir I've ever bought. Thank god for return policies. I feel bad for so many people saying it's decent, let alone good haha idiots.

I dislike a lot of things about the S4 (especially TouchWiz), but I don't think the screen is bad. I love it. When I was lurking I remember seeing someone on here call it 1080p GODDAMOLED goodness or something. That's my exact feeling about the display.

I don't think performance is awful either, though I am coming from a Nexus S, so there's that. I was/am surprised to see the occasional stutter, though, considering the specs, but that doesn't bother me. I think Android's lag problem and whatnot is very overblown.

I can't return the phone now as it's too late, but if I could I probably would and go back to my Nexus S until the Nexus 5 comes out. I miss the AOSP look and feel (TouchWiz is hideous and poorly designed), and all the crazy customization I could do with the custom ROM I was using. I shouldn't have assumed that because the device was popular, it would have strong community support. EDIT: I also didn't know the locked bootloader situation was as bad as it is for non-Nexus devices, so I'm not faulting the dev community for not being able to work around at&t and Samsung's BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom