• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

so i get my choice of ATT phones through my new job. I think i'm pretty set on the One and then turning it into a GPE. Has anyone done that here yet? Any issues with it?

Rengoku

Noticed this in the KitKat youtube video:

i4R7wDNTdvoB0.png

What are the chances Kit Kat 4.4 releases on November 11?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The smeared blacks drove me insane on the S4. Yes I could have easily replaced Touchwiz but the screen performance would have remained. I'm ensure there would not have been any stuttering in between screen if it wasn't Touchwiz either. What a Ram hog as well. Can't believe people accept these things as functional. They're pretty much on par with iPhones.

Please. Stock android ain't exactly a looker either.

Compared to what exactly? Touchwiz still look an like Froyo. Thing is the shitMoled screen makes it look even worse.

The smeared blacks drove me insane on the S4. Yes I could have easily replaced Touchwiz but the screen performance would have remained. I'm ensure there would not have been any stuttering in between screen if it wasn't Touchwiz either. What a Ram hog as well. Can't believe people accept these things as functional. They're pretty much on par with iPhones.

Compared to what exactly? Touchwiz still look an like Froyo. Thing is the shitMoled screen makes it look even worse.

Not compared to anything. Just in general. It looks bland. Nothing exciting about it.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Isn't LG known for making questionable hardware? Curious if I should wait on this new Nexus 5 or just get an HTC One now.

They are and yes you should wait. I'm awaiting for the N5 revision before I even question myself into getting one. N4 was a nightmare of quality issues before the hardware was revised.

So uhm.

Is KitKat supposed to replace Key Lime Pie then or is KLP being pushed back and being renamed something else later on down the road?

I don't even have fucking 4.3 yet and they're already announcing this. :mad:

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Well they were talking about the One so I'd assume Sense 5 which in general has gotten praise for being much better than old sense.

gcubed

So uhm.

Is KitKat supposed to replace Key Lime Pie then or is KLP being pushed back and being renamed something else later on down the road?

I don't even have fucking 4.3 yet and they're already announcing this. :mad:

K - KitKat, people thought key lime pie, but they took some sweet cross advertising chances and changed it to kitkat.

Explain to me how the screen is shitty. If you really hate the saturation, change the screen mode. The latest update fixed the black smearing as well.

Any other tired drumming points you want to keep throwing out on a weekly basis with the hope that they'll eventually become accepted as fact if you repeat them enough?

What update were you on before you jumped ship or whatever? I jumped in at MDL and noticed little lag.

The smearing and everything went away with MF9. Same with almost all of the tiny little lags that everyone overblows and bitches about.

I am also curious to know what phone you went with. The One I got as a second phone was dead. Brother's died within a week. Both had manufacturing errors and bad QC as usual. HTC support was as horrendous as ever. It's not like the One is much better of an option.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well yeah I thought it was LG, but I was looking at the girls phone not realizing that it was an N4. I cannot make out any branding on the guys phone. So I guess it very well may still be up in the air. My prediction has life again!

Yes I knew but I can't make out any branding on his phone, the lady's on the other hand I can make out an LG and identify it as a nexus 4. Even the cleared up shots on AP are horribly indistinct.

Was comparing it to the G2 as well which everyone expects the N5 to be based on and well no back button but I guess Google would have passed on that and camera lens is very different.

Alt account? Lol, it was weird reading these back to back plus cipherr responded to someone quoting colinisation as if they had quoted him.

Based CyanogenMod to the rescue. Keeping phones up to date since 2009!

I don't think CM is at 4.3 for the Sprint s4 yet. if it is, it's the small non-working things that irritate me.

I need picture messaging. Data speeds need to be normal. NFC. All of that. I want it to work like stock.

Unless this is all good to go on the SPH-L720. I'll check. But I doubt it. :/

Edit: Nope. Still a lot of little issues here and there. I'll pass.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't think CM is at 4.3 for the Sprint s4 yet. if it is, it's the small non-working things that irritate me.

I need picture messaging. Data speeds need to be normal. NFC. All of that. I want it to work like stock.

Unless this is all good to go on the SPH-L720. I'll check. But I doubt it. :/

Edit: Nope. Still a lot of little issues here and there. I'll pass.

Everything works here for my device. Sorry. I know different devices have different issues.

Explain to me how the screen is shitty. If you really hate the saturation, change the screen mode. The latest update fixed the black smearing as well.

Any other tired drumming points you want to keep throwing out on a weekly basis with the hope that they'll eventually become accepted as fact if you repeat them enough?

What update were you on before you jumped ship or whatever? I jumped in at MDL and noticed little lag.

The smearing and everything went away with MF9. Same with almost all of the tiny little lags that everyone overblows and bitches about.

I am also curious to know what phone you went with. The One I got as a second phone was dead. Brother's died within a week. Both had manufacturing errors and bad QC as usual. HTC support was as horrendous as ever. It's not like the One is much better of an option.

The One is a much better option. The S4 still lags likecrazy, and my girlfriend's S4 which she's only hadfor about a month keeps force closing her stock web browser and there's basically nothing on it .

Plus, I have yet to see a single One be returned for hardware defects, yet I've sent out a ton of S4s since they launched.

My anecdotal evidence beats yours ;)

On the flip side, never noticed any smearing on the S4.

Stock Android is gorgeous, and looks better than iOS7 and WP. Sense has gotten way better, though, and Sony's skin looks really good, but stock looks pretty amazing to me. That said, I'll never actually use stock Android firmware. Not enough customization. That's why I use(d) ROMs, which are the best of both worlds--stock look and feel with a helluva lot of customization and features.

Yeah TouchWiz does use a lot of RAM, and all the crappy apps Samsung add along with carrier bloatware take up entirely too much storage space, but OLED displays are great. I don't even really prefer OLED tech itself. I just love the deep black levels. Though I could live without them, no biggy.

The One is a much better option. The S4 still lags likecrazy, and my girlfriend's S4 which she's only hadfor about a month keeps force closing her stock web browser and there's basically nothing on it .

Plus, I have yet to see a single One be returned for hardware defects, yet I've sent out a ton of S4s since they launched.

My anecdotal evidence beats yours ;)

On the flip side, never noticed any smearing on the S4.

Does she have MF9?

Not sure about the stock browser. Never used it. Firefox since I got it.

And alright, Brett. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Also, to above (too lazy to quote): the newest update also allows you to move apps to SD. Helps with the bloatware if you don't root I guess. I just removed most of it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hate that horizontal, huge Nexus logo on that alleged N5. I really hope that isn't it but deep down, I know it is. Plus it looks big. The N4 is about perfect sized. If the screen becomes bigger, just make the N4 with no bezel.

Don't make me skip the N5, Google :(

Yup. Stock Android is ugly as shit. I'm not even a fan of TouchWiz keeping the clock turned back to the 2.3 era even though I understand why, it's because Samsung has sold hundreds of millions of devices with TouchWiz and they are pretty much forever chained to that UI appearance because so many people are now used to it. But anyone who thinks stock Android looks good needs a solid beating about the head and neck with an iPhone.

zedge

Yup. Stock Android is ugly as shit. I'm not even a fan of TouchWiz keeping the clock turned back to the 2.3 era even though I understand why, it's because Samsung has sold hundreds of millions of devices with TouchWiz and they are pretty much forever chained to that UI appearance because so many people are now used to it. But anyone who thinks stock Android looks good needs a solid beating about the head and neck with an iPhone.

:lol

I have come around a bit. Loving my N4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Stock Android is very pretty outside of Holo Dark, which is merely serviceable but still a clear step up from CrapWiz.

Ugly?

Screenshot_2013-03-21-01-55-50.png

JacfFPdl.jpg

Pretty?

GoKxwfD.jpg

01KXQUU.png

TouchWiz defenders are some of the most blatant corporate shills I've ever seen, if only because it's plainly evident to normal people how hideous TouchWiz really is.

zedge

TouchWiz defenders are some of the most blatant corporate shills I've ever seen, if only because it's plainly evident to normal people how hideous TouchWiz really is.

I dunno about that. There are literally tens of millions of normal people perfectly happy using touchwiz. ;)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can understand tolerating Touch Wiz but championing its aesthetics, coupled with decrying stock, just makes me ignore your future posts on design.

Husker86

Don't try to get rational arguments from Liquidus.. AMOLED bullied him in elementary school and he hasn't been able to forgive.

The fucking touchwiz screen shot with the comic sans never fails to slay me. Thats some serious trolling right there.

What's amazing to me is that some people actually pretend to seriously use it as an example of something. There are actually people who aren't regulars here who will actually believe that's what TouchWiz looks like.

javac

Apart from some lime green accents I don't get how touchwiz looks like 2.3. There's only really 4 aspects of an OS aesthetically.

-The lock screen. Which doesn't look like 2.3
-The home screen which also doesn't look like 2.3 and as per usual with Android it can be customised easily.
-The notification drawer which apart from the lime green accents is actually a million times better than the competition. I'm pretty sure touchwiz was the first to have power widgets in the drawer too.
-The settings which looks nothing like any iteration of Android apart from...you guessed it. The lime green accents here and there.

The app/widget drawer is no different to the latest version of Android apart from the fact that the background is transparent and Samsung's built in apps look more akin to a mix of iOS and WP if anything!

I don't even particularly like touchwiz. The icons are buttugly and the lime green is ugly but it's not exactly 2.3 either! If you have examples of it looking like 2.3 I'd be happy to see them! :)

Groof

Man, seeing the leaked specs for the Xperia Z1, it really feels like the major OEMs are finally coming into their own, having clear directions in where they want to go with their handsets. Couldn't be more excited to see how the end of this year and the coming year are going to pan out.
And honestly, I hope the back buttons of the LG G2 become sort of popular so LG can keep going with that. Hopefully they'll fix their stupid software menu button as well and change it into a multi-task key.

mrkgoo

So my sister has dumped her iPhone in favour of an HTC One.

I was just wondering is there a way to set our own DNS addresses WITHOUT setting a static IP?

Doesn't seem like it.

And if I do set a static IP on the device, do I have to also set a static IP on the router for that MAC address? OR will teh device tell the router to do so?

Maloney

And honestly, I hope the back buttons of the LG G2 become sort of popular so LG can keep going with that. Hopefully they'll fix their stupid software menu button as well and change it into a multi-task key.

I was going to hold out for the G2, it looks like an awesome phone, but the back buttons put me off. The use of side buttons are just so ingrained in my head I guess. In the end I couldn't resist and my impatient self plumped for an S4 instead.

Incidentally, I can live with Touchwiz for now, I use Nova Launcher to get the look I want. My previous phone (Galaxy S2) was running Sentinel Rom, which was great as a stock based rom. The thing I missed most was the Samsung camera app though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom