• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I was going to hold out for the G2, it looks like an awesome phone, but the back buttons put me off. The use of side buttons are just so ingrained in my head I guess. In the end I couldn't resist and my impatient self plumped for an S4 instead.

Incidentally, I can live with Touchwiz for now, I use Nova Launcher to get the look I want. My previous phone (Galaxy S2) was running Sentinel Rom, which was great as a stock based rom. The thing I missed most was the Samsung camera app though
Honestly, I think the back buttons are a smart move. Especially for a phone that big. As for adjusting to it from side buttons I don't think it'd take too long, it's almost like going from a Samsung style capacitive button layout to the Nexus styled software button layout. It took me a couple of minutes. But something like this can't be known unless you use the phone for a longer period of time.

Yeah, but don't worry, there'll be another one in two days. Wanna sign up for it?
Hell yeah. I'll be prepping the guns properly!

Blackhead

Redarse
Yup. Stock Android is ugly as shit. I'm not even a fan of TouchWiz keeping the clock turned back to the 2.3 era even though I understand why, it's because Samsung has sold hundreds of millions of devices with TouchWiz and they are pretty much forever chained to that UI appearance because so many people are now used to it. But anyone who thinks stock Android looks good needs a solid beating about the head and neck with an iPhone.

lol Samsung shills are even stealing Apple fanboy excuses now. Yet despite selling hundreds of millions of devices with iOS (more than touchwiz devices anyway) Apple is changing their UI — just as Microsoft has done a few times (Aero, MetroUI despite selling billions of PC devices. Heck even HTC has spruced up Sense. Samsung keeps Touchwiz as is because they think it looks good. They are wrong and so are you. Touchwiz is for "simple" minded people.

Zeppu

I'm not gonna lie to you. I fell for it. I had been craving a KitKat™ since they announced it. I got the 4 megabite version. Hadn't had a KitKat™ in aaaages.

--

In other, unrelated news, whoever thought it was a good idea to replace the trademark/copyright/registered symbol in Hangouts with an emoji should be shot.

this_guy

Most people who use Touchwiz like the functionality it offers. It's not hard to change launchers or icons and customize the way your phone looks.

Fatalah

1SuQhNG.gif

Where's the grassy knoll?
KuGsj.gif

tzare

looks like a 5 inch device. i hope so. And with a thin bezel i'm in if it is in the 300-350€ range :)

however that z1 ....<3

-PXG-

Anyone else with a GS4 have audio issues? It seems like audio only comes out the rear speaker. Audio won't come out the front if the phone is facing screen up. Audio is perfectly fine during calls though. I'm running CM 10.2, so it clearly has nothing to do with Adapt Sound.

Milchjon

Faux leather now? Seriously????

At this point I'm almost convinced there's an Uglyception division within Samsung, working tirelessly under the motto "We have to go tackier!".

Milchjon

I've always thought of the Notes as the only intriguing part of Samsung's phone lineup.

But everything about the Note 3 is so aggressively ugly. The fucking pseudo-notebook ridges on the side. The fucking faux leather. The fucking abomination that is TouchWiz.

This is might be the first time in history that a product design legitimately pissed me off. The tech equivalent of Jack Johnson.

This is like preparing for a multiple choice test and scoring a zero when randomly ticking boxes would've been enough to pass.

So why is everyone so down on smart watches?

I thought some of the use cases Samsung showed were pretty cool.

Admittedly price and battery life are terrible - not that we have firm battery life numbers yet.

On a more positive note, Qualcomm attempting to push out its own smart watch too but with a Mirasol screen and promising several days of battery life.

Qualcomm Toq

Nicktendo86

So why is everyone so down on smart watches?

I thought some of the use cases Samsung showed were pretty cool.

Admittedly price and battery life are terrible - not that we have firm battery life numbers yet.

On a more positive note, Qualcomm attempting to push out its own smart watch too but with a Mirasol screen and promising several days of battery life.

image.jpg
I'm not down on smart watches, I'm down on Samsung's smart watch. A watch needs insane battery life, be small and inconspicuous and stylish. Gear is none of those.

Cipherr

Samsungs watch is less ugly than the prototype looked. Its still large and blocky though. The camera is ugly also. And I have zero faith in them running a half decent app store for it, so no sale.

Alt account? Lol, it was weird reading these back to back plus cipherr responded to someone quoting colinisation as if they had quoted him.

Wat? No. I butt into conversations like that all the time. I posted because I had previously said it was clearly a glass back earlier, but I was working at the time and hadn't realized that I wasn't even looking at the right phone.

Im not sure GAF could handle two of me.

pleather with stitching... thanks for complainng about the shiny polycarbonate motherfuckers!!!

Galaxy Gear looks good but still, who uses a watch!?

but seriously... 3GB of RAM!!!

and 32GB minimum, THANK YOU HIGH TECH COMPUTER CORPORATION!!!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pebble looks better though I hate the color of the Pebble in that comparison pic.

Samsung must figure we all love exposed screws!

Volotaire

pleather with stitching... thanks for complainng about the shiny polycarbonate motherfuckers!!!

Galaxy Gear looks good but still, who uses a watch!?

but seriously... 3GB of RAM!!!

and 32GB minimum, THANK YOU HIGH TECH COMPUTER CORPORATION!!!

Yep hope 32GB is now adopted standard by others next year since HTC and Samsung are following suit.

Vanillalite

I'm telling you smart watches will be good once we get to the 2nd and 3rd gen. 1st gen smart watch stuff is gonna be ROUGH.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like Scott Forstall landed on his feet by joining Samsung's hardware team.
I'm telling you smart watches will be good once we get to the 2nd and 3rd gen. 1st gen smart watch stuff is gonna be ROUGH.

I'm a big time early adopter but I'm not getting near those just yet. The first gen will be near useless.

Vanillalite

I will say the Qualcomm smartwatch looks waaayyy fucking better than the Sammy one.

Still not paying $300 for a 1st gen product like this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom