• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

nexusae0_verizon-note-3_thumb.png

No VERIZON home button??

The shady tattoo artist that brands your left asscheek with their logo when you pickup your phone isn't shown in the picture.

Groof

Everything Samsung announced today is so strange. The faux leather and the watch are both the epitome of no proper design direction. It all seems so haphazard and disconnected, just like TouchWiz.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
omg what if Verizon did stitch the logo on the back

No one thought the home button logo could be true until we started to discuss it. Don't do it again.

NaviLink

Hello guys and gals, I bought a Nexus 4 recently and I'm going through the motions of installing and trying out apps. One thing I'd like in particular is to stream videos from my computer to my phone through my Wifi router. I've been browsing the google store and saw Plex, Emit, AirStream... Which app of this kind would you say is the best? If there's a good free one, that would be even better. Thanks.

VoxPop

Everything Samsung announced today is so strange. The faux leather and the watch are both the epitome of no proper design direction. It all seems so haphazard and disconnected, just like TouchWiz.

I thought that was already the general consensus on Samsung products

At least the phone won't feel like it's going to fly out of your hand anymore.

I really hope they stitch a Verizon logo on the back though. That'd be laughing material for weeks if not months.

Blackhead

Redarse
Looks like Scott Forstall landed on his feet by joining Samsung's hardware team.

I'm a big time early adopter but I'm not getting near those just yet. The first gen will be near useless.
This isn't the first generation of smartwatches... unless by you set the calendar by when Apple does their first generation.
FFS this is Sony's third iteration

Ok so its size isn't that bad after all. But the design hurts it. Its not to large, but it is ugly. Pebble has a better design.

Pebble looks better though I hate the color of the Pebble in that comparison pic.

Samsung must figure we all love exposed screws!
Ugh People really think the plastic Pebble looks better than that Samsung Gear? Seriously? Do you guys wear one? The black Pebble is plain and the colors are much worse.
I'm not down on smart watches, I'm down on Samsung's smart watch. A watch needs insane battery life, be small and inconspicuous and stylish. Gear is none of those.
In the real world loud and conspicuous watches are popular:

gb6900aa.png

http://toq.qualcomm.com/#toq-hello

I can kinda dig it, personally.
I'm interested

Samsung gonna Samsung.

At least the phone won't feel like it's going to fly out of your hand anymore.
but their previous phones didn't feel like that, it was all in people's heads...
I really hope they stitch a Verizon logo on the back though. That'd be laughing material for weeks if not months.
me too, it would be AMAZING!!!

Talon

This isn't the first generation of smartwatches... unless by you set the calendar by when Apple does their first generation.
FFS this is Sony's third iteration
We set the standard by a product that redefines the category and makes a dent.

IE the first "good" product.

Talon

Grey, let's not pretend that the Sony smartwatches are not selling well because of lack of marketing. They're not redefining the category and giving people a reason to need or even want one. I'm pretty bearish on smartwatches - I have a hard time imagining a watch that will appeal to such widely different tastes, but I am bullish on the idea of wearables subsuming smartphones.

The way I see a smartwatch really defying expectations is some sort of full band display that's closer to a bracelet than a watch. In the vein of the Fuel band.

I dislike a lot of things about the S4 (especially TouchWiz), but I don't think the screen is bad. I love it. When I was lurking I remember seeing someone on here call it 1080p GODDAMOLED goodness or something. That's my exact feeling about the display.

I don't think performance is awful either, though I am coming from a Nexus S, so there's that. I was/am surprised to see the occasional stutter, though, considering the specs, but that doesn't bother me. I think Android's lag problem and whatnot is very overblown.

I can't return the phone now as it's too late, but if I could I probably would and go back to my Nexus S until the Nexus 5 comes out. I miss the AOSP look and feel (TouchWiz is hideous and poorly designed), and all the crazy customization I could do with the custom ROM I was using. I shouldn't have assumed that because the device was popular, it would have strong community support. EDIT: I also didn't know the locked bootloader situation was as bad as it is for non-Nexus devices, so I'm not faulting the dev community for not being able to work around at&t and Samsung's BS.
well, if you had it unlocked or on any carrier except AT&T or Verizon, you wouldn't have a bootloader problem...

gcubed

Most people I see seem to all use Plex. I'd wait for more suggestions though.

i use plex, in my experience its the easiest and prettiest set up

i get to do my first S-OFF tomorrow. I'm so excited... (not really). Lets see how i can mess up the phone

edit... to a conversation i had a week or two ago... OSX is pretty damn awesome on my new MBP. Definitely took some time to learn it (and still am), but man, its much better then windows for what i use a laptop for. Long live the terminal

Talon

No. <ost products tend to fail, good products included. The first popular product tends to be a good one but that doesn't mean that there weren't other good products before it that couldn't find an audience.

Grey, let's not pretend that the Sony smartwatches are not selling well because of lack of marketing. They're not redefining the category and giving people a reason to need or even want one. I'm pretty bearish on smartwatches - I have a hard time imagining a watch that will appeal to such widely different tastes, but I am bullish on the idea of wearables subsuming smartphones.

The way I see a smartwatch really defying expectations is some sort of full band display that's closer to a bracelet than a watch. In the vein of the Fuel band.

Isn't there a way to get around that or has that exploit been plugged up?

I hope the Xperia Z1 comes out to more carriers in the US. That thing looks gorgeous.

nope. you can get root, but the bootloader in the newest updates on Verizon and AT&T is still undefeated. no custom recovery or roms for now, just root access and root apps...

Blackhead

Redarse

Hold up; that's your personal opinion of what a watch/smartwatch should be. As should be self-evident many people wear fashionable watches that are much larger and bulkier than that. While such a full band display might indeed be the tipping point to get everybody to wear a smartwatch that technology isn't possible right now and will require multiple generations of smartwatches before the it is miniaturized to that level.

Of course that's assuming that we don't all end up wearing arm thingies (like Leela from Futurama) instead smartwatches..

Talon

Hold up; that's your personal opinion of what a watch/smartwatch should be. As should be self-evident many people wear fashionable watches that are much larger and bulkier than that. While such a full band display might indeed be the tipping point to get everybody to wear a smartwatch that technology isn't possible right now and will require multiple generations of smartwatches before the it is miniaturized to that level.

Of course that's assuming that we don't all end up wearing arm thingies (like Leela from Futurama) instead smartwatches..
A better iteration of the Casio calculator watch is not going to set this market on fire. There needs to be real innovation.

Sure, it's my opinion, but it's my opinion based on observing meager innovation in the space since people were playing around with iPod nanos on watchbands.

Hypothetically this is a high margin business with sizable volume.

Toki767

nope. you can get root, but the bootloader in the newest updates on Verizon and AT&T is still undefeated. no custom recovery or roms for now, just root access and root apps...

Bleh...I guess I could go for the HTC One then. I'm just so used to having a removable battery these days.

The Z1 sounds nice with the 3000 mAh battery built in. That feels like it could last a full day.

Blackhead

Redarse
A better iteration of the Casio calculator watch is not going to set this market on fire. There needs to be real innovation.

Sure, it's my opinion, but it's my opinion based on observing meager innovation in the space since people were playing around with iPod nanos on watchbands.
What's 'real innovation'?
Hypothetically this is a high margin business with sizable volume.
I agree but that doesn't mean that the smartwatches that failed (and the current crip that will fail as well) aren't innovative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom