• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Girl at work was telling me about her new droid phone she just got, the galaxy s4.

Fucking Verizon.

image.php

Quasar

Hello guys and gals, I bought a Nexus 4 recently and I'm going through the motions of installing and trying out apps. One thing I'd like in particular is to stream videos from my computer to my phone through my Wifi router. I've been browsing the google store and saw Plex, Emit, AirStream... Which app of this kind would you say is the best? If there's a good free one, that would be even better. Thanks.

I use Plex. Haven't tried the others.

Toki767

Am I missing something here? What does Verizon have to do with her phone?

My brother, who is pretty knowledgeable in tech, also just calls all android phones droid because of that big Verizon marketing push a few years ago. To this day I don't think he knows that droid refers to a specific brand of Verizon phones and not android phones in general.

Talon

Per Ars:

The biggest change you'll notice is that the back on the Note III has a stitched leather look, which Samsung says will give it a "warm, textured touch." It looks really nice, but it's actually a hard, leather-patterned plastic that felt pretty greasy. I was hoping for something similar to Samsung's T-Mobile Galaxy S II soft-touch faux-leather, but this is just textured plastic. Samsung has been lagging behind its competitors in the materials department for the last few product cycles, and while this looks better, it doesn't really feel better. The good news is that the plastic doesn't have an inch of give to it—it's extremely hard. Overall, it's pretty similar to the S 4: impressively thin and solid feeling, but greasy.

thespot84

Girl at work was telling me about her new droid phone she just got, the galaxy s4.

Fucking Verizon.

It took 3 WEEKS to convince my friend that all droids were androids, and not all androids were droids. Stubbornness and a lack of set theory is a terrible combination.

So uh. I just unplugged my phone from charging and the top half of the screen is pinkish now and it is hot as fuck.

...any ideas on how to get the pixels back to normal?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, it's not the first gen of smart watches but nothing actually usable has come out. Not even borderline usable. So really, to say it's like third gen now is kind of optimistic.

Groof

Have you guys talked anything about the lens cameras Sony announced yesterday? It seems like such a smart concept, but I don't know if people would even bother carrying something like that around.

Milchjon

Have you guys talked anything about the lens cameras Sony announced yesterday? It seems like such a smart concept, but I don't know if people would even bother carrying something like that around.

I'd mostly worry about the setup. The clamp thing doesn't make it look like an overly sturdy connection, the weight balance of the whole thing is probably off, and and I'm not sure you can get a great grip on a slippery, slim, big phone when holding it like a camera.

That's a lot of ways you could drop your $500 gadget.

Although I should probably test it out myself first.

tino

Banned

Its harder to carry a giant cylinder than a regular RX100 in your pants.

Groof

I'd mostly worry about the setup. The clamp thing doesn't make it look like an overly sturdy connection, the weight balance of the whole thing is probably off, and and I'm not sure you can get a great grip on a slippery, slim, big phone when holding it like a camera.

That's a lot of ways you could drop your $500 gadget.

Although I should probably test it out myself first.
This is true as well, but the thought of something so small being semi-autonomous intrigues me. I'd probably never get one, and the transfer of the image after taking the shot took way too long.

Its harder to carry a giant cylinder than a regular RX100 in your pants.
:lol

But isn't the RX100 double the price?

Smartwatches can't just be a smartphone on your wrist. There needs to be deep life logging/self tracking integration through hardware and software. People are imagining an extension of their phones on their wrist for checking messages and doing Knight Rider re-enactments with voice control. I however think the real selling point will involve self tracking, for personal improvement, health, and whatever else they can come up with.

I think this is clearly the direction Apple is headed. First company to do that and do it well will be the leaders in this market.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Come over the N7 thread. They always some how working it in, and then faceless has to smack them down.
The only reason I follow that thread is to see Faceless drop the hurt. It's great.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm fairly new to Android, so pardon if this sounds stupid. Is there any reason voice commands for music are lacking on Android? I'm playing with my Nexus 4/7 and I can't get as specific with the commands as I can with "Siri" on my Mini. Is this due to some software patent or something? I love these devices but this seems like a weird oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom