• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

I'm fairly new to Android, so pardon if this sounds stupid. Is there any reason voice commands for music are lacking on Android? I'm playing with my Nexus 4/7 and I can't get as specific with the commands as I can with "Siri" on my Mini. Is this due to some software patent or something? I love these devices but this seems like a weird oversight.

Could you please be more specific? If I ask google now to play a certain band or song it will ask me whether I want to use google play music and will pay no probs.

Google Now is different to Siri, it does some things better and some things worse. It gets updated very often though.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Could you please be more specific? If I ask google now to play a certain band or song it will ask me whether I want to use google play music and will pay no probs.

Google Now is different to Siri, it does some things better and some things worse. It gets updated very often though.
Like for instance, asking to "shuffle songs by a certain artist" or "shuffle a certain album" on iOS works without a hitch. I also don't have to be as specific about the title of the song/album. I don't have to give the complete name of the item verbatim (anything in brackets or parenthesis). Specific things like that. Maybe I need to play around with it a bit more? Should I use certain hotwords?

Nicktendo86

Like for instance, asking to "shuffle songs by a certain artist" or "shuffle a certain album" on iOS works without a hitch. I also don't have to be as specific about the title of the song/album. I don't have to give the complete name of the item verbatim (anything in brackets or parenthesis). Specific things like that. Maybe I need to play around with it a bit more? Should I use certain hotwords?

Yeah I just think Google Now isn't as good as Siri in this regard, I think they only added the ability to play songs by voice recently. Sorry, don't think anything can help. Just need to wait for Google to improve it, as I said though they update Now quite often. They started it at a different point to Siri with the travel from home to work cards etc but seem, in my opinion, to be adding more of the Siri type stuff as they go along.

Mindwipe

UK&Android GAF will be pleased to know there's an update for BBC iPlayer today that allows temporary downloads of programmes.

Does anyone know if Android will play nice with Exchange? I'm testing out a Nexus 4 at the moment alongside my Windows phone and I'm wondering if there a way of keeping my contacts / mail / calendar synced with it.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Does anyone know if Android will play nice with Exchange? I'm testing out a Nexus 4 at the moment alongside my Windows phone and I'm wondering if there a way of keeping my contacts / mail / calendar synced with it.
With my limited experience, yes. I tried hooking my device into our exchange server but they wanted me to grant them some pretty absurd admin privileges.

The alternative is TouchDown, which you can find on Google Play.

etrain911

I'm assuming we don't have any prices and release dates for the Z1 and the Note 3 in the States. Although, Verizon is taking preorders on the 9th for the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear so hopefully that gives us a clue.

apps supporting exchange needs admin privileges to ensure lockscreen security is on if the exchange policy requests it to be on.

I'm assuming we don't have any prices and release dates for the Z1 and the Note 3 in the States. Although, Verizon is taking preorders on the 9th for the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear so hopefully that gives us a clue.

dunno about the Z1 getting a carrier release in the US, but gonna guess $299 on contract for the Note 3.

Had a hands on with the Z1 this afternoon.

Lovely phone. Feels so much better in the hand than the Z, the aluminium is much nicer than the plastic, the subtle curves make it easier to handle despite the width increase. It fits in my pocket without too much trouble.

Insanely fast as well, like insanely fast.

Camera was impressive, but could use some work on the processing. It has pixel binning for the 8MP mode as well (like Pureview on the 808), at least that's what it looked like because the 8MP pictures didn't seem cropped to me.

The screen is brilliant, viewing angles are good, much better than my ZL. I had to tilt it to around 70 degrees before I started getting contrast drop off and at around 85 degrees (almost horizontal) there is some limited colour degradation. Other than for the most nitpicky the screen is excellent. X-reality doesn't really add anything IMO. Colours are amazing and blacks are incredible, maximum brightness is eye achingly bright as well. I was informed that there is going to be a panel lottery, but they are very similar this time, no big discrepancy like last time with the Z.

Overall, very impressed. I really hope they go ahead with the non-waterproof version in a smaller/thicker frame. I'm also informed that this is going to be the flagship for a long time, around 8-10 months before they refresh it was what they talked about, but they didn't want to confirm that 100% for me.

panda21

so theres finally one of those new wave of email apps on android with the whole swipey swipey archive snooze inbox zero stuff going on

EVOMAIL (http://evomail.io)

except i can't actually get it to work at all

i don't know if its their cloud magic or what but its just straight up stopped doing anything

DarkFlow

Banned
Got my Chromecast today and my new Nexus 7 yesterday.

3ZTquq1.jpg

Been a good week for my Google addiction.

Has there been any word on when Netflix Profiles are rolling out to Android devices? I've had them on my iPhone for close to a month or so now, but I hate how small the screen is.

Android really does seem like a second-class citizen sometimes.

EDIT: Thanks, SimleuqiR.

SimleuqiR

Has there been any word on when Netflix Profiles are rolling out to Android devices? I've had them on my iPhone for close to a month or so now, but I hate how small the screen is.

Android really does seem like a second-class citizen sometimes.

I think I read end of September. But the delay seems to have a plus on top of the minus

http://m.techradar.com/news/interne...-multiple-profile-support-for-android-1170302

There will be a delay on Android and part of this is resources within the profile team," he explained.

He also hinted that there could be an overhaul of the Android service coming next year, noting: "There is stuff going on with Android, in that world, that we can't really talk about just yet."

coldfoot

Banned
Hi guise,

While I've been an iPhone person for the past 4 years, the lack of screen size updates is REALLY bugging me so I've been considering getting an S4 and skipping the new 4" iPhone whatever it may be.

Now I'm on Verizon and it's only been a year since I got service, so I have to pay full $599 price for an S4, but craigslist is full of new in box verizon S4's all day long for around 400 bucks. That's a much more acceptible price than the 649 Verizon's going to charge for the new small screen iPhone. Screen size is my ONLY problem with the iPhone, everything else I'm very happy with. I'll go back to the iPhone when they release a bigger screen hopefully next year.

So here are my questions
1. If I buy a phone from Craigslist (I'll check for bad ESN of course), is it trivial to get it activated with Verizon instead of my iPhone?
2. I hate any and all customization OEM's do for Android, no exceptions. Since there is no Google edition for the Verizon iPhone available, I will have to flash it with something that's stock or close to it. Which is the best bet, is it still Cyanogenmod?
3. Those who use CM with S4, is it rock solid?

Thanks.

Hi guise,

While I've been an iPhone person for the past 4 years, the lack of screen size updates is REALLY bugging me so I've been considering getting an S4 and skipping the new 4" iPhone whatever it may be.

Now I'm on Verizon and it's only been a year since I got service, so I have to pay full $599 price for an S4, but craigslist is full of new in box verizon S4's all day long for around 400 bucks. That's a much more acceptible price than the 649 Verizon's going to charge for the new small screen iPhone. Screen size is my ONLY problem with the iPhone, everything else I'm very happy with. I'll go back to the iPhone when they release a bigger screen hopefully next year.

So here are my questions
1. If I buy a phone from Craigslist (I'll check for bad ESN of course), is it trivial to get it activated with Verizon instead of my iPhone?
2. I hate any and all customization OEM's do for Android, no exceptions. Since there is no Google edition for the Verizon iPhone available, I will have to flash it with something that's stock or close to it. Which is the best bet, is it still Cyanogenmod?
3. Those who use CM with S4, is it rock solid?

Thanks.

How would you hate the OEM customizations if you have never used them? And please don't say you played with a phone once for 15 minutes and didn't like it. It seems you are just predetermined to not like it from people's opinions. I'm generally curious.

SimleuqiR

Smaller than the N4 but with a bigger screen? That's some Moto X stuff right there.

Same for the battery, too, now that I think about it.

More comments

Display diagonal = 126.0 mm
= 12.60 cm / 2.54 cm per inch
= 4.96 inches.

Half-life 3 Nexus 5 "confirmed."

As I said in reply to Daniel above:

"[It's shorter] Only by a couple mm. It's about the same width, and the screen on this is only about a quarter of an inch bigger than the Nexus 4's screen. With thinner bezels, an increase that small could quite conceivably be placed into a device with a smaller footprint."

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Once again, Brian Klug busts it wide open like a certified skrippa:

What's interesting about the LG-D820 approval is that it includes almost all of the bands you'd want for a North American SKU that covers LTE, CDMA, and HSPA+ for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. There's no Verizon LTE (Band 13) in this band coverage. Non inclusion of Verizon LTE banding in an upcoming Nexus isn't much of a surprise after relationship issues following Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE), inclusion of Sprint is a bit of one, but not as much (Google Voice, Google Wallet).

The breakdown is LTE on bands: 2, 4, 5, 17, 25, 26, 41 (1 and 7 are probable as well, FCC only lists what's relevant inside the USA), WCDMA on bands: 2, 4, 5, and CDMA2000 1x/EVDO on band classes 0, 1, and 10 (800, 1900, 900 MHz). There's also 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (the screenshot above doesn't call out 802.11ac but it is explicitly mentioned and tested in the appropriate sections of the test reports) as well as BT 4.0 LE (Bluetooth smart ready). Inclusion of CDMA2000 1x/EVDO in and of itself is surprising, and the device includes the necessary LTE banding for Sprint, of course CDMA2000 is also relevant in a few other markets in combination with LTE.

Update: Another thing that caught my eye was inclusion of mention that the LG-D820 uses variable antenna matching (antenna tuning) which would be necessary if it's going to accommodate a lot of different bands on just one transmit antenna. This could end up being a Qualcomm tunable frontend part. Display diagonal is also listed as 126.0mm which works out to 4.96-inches diagonal for display, enough to warrant a Nexus 5 name, and a length and width of 131.9 mm x 68.2 mm.

Update: Brad Molen from Engadget caught a reference to MSM8974, aosp_hammerhead and KyeLimePie[sic] inside the disclosure as well. There are two references to MSM8974 (Snapdragon 800) which would to validate that as being the SoC platform and this as a Nexus device running 4.4 which was codenamed Key Lime Pie up until its recent rebranding to KitKat.

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-05%20at%205.11.12%20PM_575px.png

http://anandtech.com/show/7283/potential-nexus-5-fcc-disclosure-reappears-lgd820

Toki767

2300 mAh battery? Man, they must be toying with people on purpose. I hope the Xperia Z1 comes out in the US in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom