• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogloo

I don't know about you guys. Phone news don't do anything to me anymore.

I hope gadget sites start reporting non smartphone news soon because I don't see any fresh idea coming to phone hardware or software recently.

This is happening to me too. We need another generational jump to make things interesting again.

twofold

Groof

If it wasn't for LG's stupid ass skin I'd be all for that G2. The notification shade is even more cluttered than Touchwiz, and I didn't even think that was possible!

Nicktendo86

So what is the chance of the Nexus 5 being released in October or just being announced then released in November? Should I get a N4 now or wait for the N5? If based on the G2, is the N5 that big of a leap over the N4?

twofold

So what is the chance of the Nexus 5 being released in October or just being announced then released in November? Should I get a N4 now or wait for the N5? If based on the G2, is the N5 that big of a leap over the N4?

The Nexus 4 released in November, if I remember correctly, so I'd be surprised if it's follow up releases any earlier than that. Maybe the end of October?

In regards to your other questions, the main problems with the Nexus 4 are the fairly subpar camera, the shitty speakers, and the relatively poor battery life. Outside of that, I think it's a great phone. Performance is great, the screen looks good, and it's very smooth and responsive.

As for whether you should buy it..

Personally, if I was picking up a phone now, I'd probably go for a second hand unlocked HTC One. In the UK, where I live, mint condition second hand Ones are selling for £320-£340 (http://smartfonestore.com/buy_Handset_HTC_Unlocked_One 4G 32GB_Silver_A.aspx), or thereabouts, which isn't much more than the 16gb Nexus 4.

Groof

Just wait for the Google Edition, bro...
As if that wouldn't cost a small fortune to import all the way to Europe.

Going by the three previous releases (December, November x2), I'd wager anywhere between October-December is a fair guess. November's the most likely though. The spec bump would be pretty great too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
5434fd39jw1e6isnl7ev6j218g0xc40r-2.jpg

flabbynsick.png

gcubed

man, i do like it, but they can fuck a mountain if they think its worth 199 on contract... i dont give a shit about how many doodads it has

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just another reason CyanogenMod is best Android!

nexusae0_CyanogenMod_120-088185bd2c879279_thumb.png

Android Police

While most Android users are waiting on updaters that might patch some of the recently reported security holes, CyanogenMod is already getting a bug fix update out the door. CyanogenMod 10.1.1 is now hitting the stable channel for all supported devices.

cm

The Master Key exploit will be presented by Jeff Forristal at Black Hat 2013 as "One Root To Own Them All." It's essentially a bug in signature verification which can be used to insert malicious code into an APK. Google patched the bug back in February, but the new code hasn't made it into most official ROMs – even Nexus devices have yet to receive the fix. CM started including the fixes in nightlies a few days ago, and now the fix is in the stable build for the slightly less adventurous. CM 10.1.1 also fixes two Qualcomm-specific vulnerabilities and a Linux kernel exploit.

It's very cool to see this open source project run by regular folks get an important security fix out to users so fast. That's what happens when you're not burdened by the bureaucracy of a large company or a carrier. CyanogenMod might have a few bugs, but it's rock-solid as far as security goes. Users are advised to update as soon as their build is available.

CyanogenMod.org

Given all the Android security topics in the news, we thought it prudent to issue a follow-up to the 10.1.0 general release, incorporating patches for various vulnerabilities that have since been identified.

At the time of this post, CyanogenMod 10.1.1 releases are building and mirroring to our download portal. The CM 10.1.1 build is purely a security bug-fix release on top of the previous 10.1.0.x code-base. While it does not carry any new features, it does address the following:

Bug 8219321 aka “MasterKey” exploit (also patched in CM 7 and CM 9 source)
CVE-2013-2094 (Linux kernel exploit)
CVE-2013-2596 (Qualcomm-specific exploit)
CVE-2013-2597 (Qualcomm-specific exploit)
General device bug-fixes
With the security nature of this release, all users on CM 10.1.0.x are encouraged to update once their respective build is available.

gcubed

Can you post the specs for the 3 here? If it's significantly lower I might go with the 5S or HTC One, I don't really want the S4 or another iphone though.

you mean X?

S4 Pro Dual Core, 720p Screen, 2gb memory, ?? Internal memory, ?? but rumored long battery life.

One/GS4 - 1080p screen, S600 quad core, 2gb memory, varying internal memory

Ordered a Pioneer AppRadio 3 from Crutchfield this morning. Looking forward to getting it installed, and hoping I can set it up.

I think I'll stick with MirrorLink for now, then switch to ARLiberator if I think it'll be a better experience.

LOL at 2000mah battery rumour for the moto x. Moto fail if true. Can't even include the one thing they had over the competition in the phone.

SimleuqiR

Ordered a Pioneer AppRadio 3 from Crutchfield this morning. Looking forward to getting it installed, and hoping I can set it up.

I think I'll stick with MirrorLink for now, then switch to ARLiberator if I think it'll be a better experience.

This mirrors your phone on to the dashboard?

kehs

Banned

Let us know how it works out, I'm interested as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom