• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an old Galaxt S2 SGH-i777 from my sister. The battery is dead, but a store near my house sells the battery, however, the battery is of a i9100. Would it work?

They are selling it super cheap.

kehs

Banned
Stumpy, he's good people. They seem more open to name changes lately though, probably because they add the "formerly" tag.

I got an old Galaxt S2 SGH-i777 from my sister. The battery is dead, but a store near my house sells the battery, however, the battery is of a i9100. Would it work?

They are selling it super cheap.

If I'm remembering correctly the i777 has an nfc battery while the i9100 doesnt. Should do a search on xda, I remember reading a couple threads on the batteries.

gcubed

I don't understand your points of view. If you can afford a $500/$600 phone, why do you care how good a $300 phone is? Its only relevant to you if you are 1 google or 2 have GOOG stock. No offends I think this is just "sales age" crap spill over from the gaming side.

Why the heck would any phone have noticeable better battery life? Battery technology has no advanced in the last 10 years. The battery life is directly proportional to the wright of the battery in your phone.

just because i can afford a $500/600 phone doesn't mean i want to buy one... so if i can get what i want in a phone for half that price, why would I not be excited? This is like saying "you can afford a bmw, why would you ever drive an "x"?" I have better things to spend my money on. Its a very awkward argument that I'm not sure you are actually making or just lost in translation

#2. Noticeably better battery life because motorola seems like the only company that gives enough of a shit to put a larger battery in their phones.

RIP Latitude

just because i can afford a $500/600 phone doesn't mean i want to buy one... so if i can get what i want in a phone for half that price, why would I not be excited?

#2. Noticeably better battery life because motorola seems like the only company that gives enough of a shit to put a larger battery in their phones.

Moto puts in a large battery as a premium option. Samsung does it by default.

just because i can afford a $500/600 phone doesn't mean i want to buy one... so if i can get what i want in a phone for half that price, why would I not be excited?

Too bad their design philosophy hasn't changed since they got the whole "droid" philosophy going". Ugly ass phones.

gcubed

Too bad their design philosophy hasn't changed since they got the whole "droid" philosophy going". Ugly ass phones.

Meh, the X doesn't have the hideous ass lip that their droid phones have. I mean, besides a larger bezel the front of it looks exactly like the other phones in this thread people drool over.

Moto puts in a large battery as a premium option. Samsung does it by default.

right, by default, still smaller then moto's premium battery offering of 2 years ago, yay?

samsung needs to do something to fill that void of space from offering a premium product with shit internal storage.

Finally pulled the trigger, and am getting a Note II to replace my busted-up Toro. Got a used model for a good price, and the ESN # is good to go.

To get the Note II activated, can I just put my GN's SIM card into it and power it up, or do I need to call VZW first?

Ooo, I need to get a nice, big microSD card, too, don't I?

Talon

So JUMP is just a more liberal insurance policy - considering they said that users with normal/fine phones would pay the same price as for new phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's just a different way of looking at the numbers. It's still cheaper to buy and sell on your own.

Husker86

Finally pulled the trigger, and am getting a Note II to replace my busted-up Toro. Got a used model for a good price, and the ESN # is good to go.

To get the Note II activated, can I just put my GN's SIM card into it and power it up, or do I need to call VZW first?

Ooo, I need to get a nice, big microSD card, too, don't I?

Yep, Verizon SIM swap should work just fine.

gcubed

how is tmo in the bay area? I'm going prepaid shortly and I can do ATT prepaid and save a bit, or do Tmo and save a lot, but I want to be able to use my phone

this_guy

This is my post from the other thread in Off Topic:

HTC One after 6 months:

$99 down
$30 x 6 months = $180

$280 after 6 months, now you can upgrade to the latest and greatest but you have to trade in your phone and can't sell or keep it as a back up. Not bad, but not great.

If you don't upgrade until the 1 year mark:

$99 down
$30 x 12 = $360

$460 paid after 1 year, and you have to trade in the phone for the new phone. Not very attractive to me at all if you're not upgrading right away.

It's good if you're lazy, but its not attractive to me. Plus since you have to trade in your device it's not exactly like insurance where you can replace a stolen phone.

kehs

Banned
This is my post from the other thread in Off Topic:
It's good if you're lazy, but its not attractive to me. Plus since you have to trade in your device it's not exactly like insurance where you can replace a stolen phone.

Damage insurance is included for people who don't treat their phones right, so that's a nice little bonus I suppose.

---

Motorola to spend 500 million on advertisement for the motox. Does Motorola even have that kind of cash to burn independently?

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/10/motorola-to-spend-500-million-in-advertising-moto-x/

The T-Mobile Jump deal doesn't sound that great for a person that buys their phone outright. If I buy a top of the line new phone off craigslist for $500 in 6 months I can still easily get $400. That is $100 out, whereas on this plan its $60 over the 6 months plus $99 for the new phone and then $20 a month. I can kind of see the appeal if you were doing the monthly phone payment option though I guess.

tino

Banned
The jump plan is a good deal. You are getting a new phone for $60 every 6 months. A new phone depreciate more than $60 in its first 6 months. The depreciate rate is closer to 100 for a high end phone.

If I want to do it, I would alternatve between a Note and a Galaxy S or iPhone every year.

The potential hidden cost is that 1) TMo's monthly plan is more expensive than their prepaid plans and 2) TMo will time the phone release more than 6 months to mess up your upgrade cycle.

Also you may not be able to root a new phone.

Actually now that I think about it, I prefer $5-8 every month and a 12 month upgrade cycle.

edit: wait you still have to pay the $99 for a new phone? Never mind its not a good deal.

The jump plan is a good deal. You are getting a new phone for $60 every 6 months. A new phone depreciate more than $60 in its first 6 months. The depreciate rate is closer to 100 for a high end phone.

If I want to do it, I would alternatve between a Note and a Galaxy S or iPhone every year.

The potential hidden cost is that 1) TMo's monthly plan is more expensive than their prepaid plans and 2) TMo will time the phone release more than 6 months to mess up your upgrade cycle.

Also you may not be able to root a new phone.

Actually now that I think about it, I prefer $5-8 every month and a 12 month upgrade cycle.

You are going to pay the 60+100 as you still have to pay deposit for the phone. Entry is $160 plus they get your old phone. It's not a bad deal at all if you are doing the monthly phone payments as it is insurance as well, but I just paid $475 for a GS4 and can easily get $400 for it in 6 months and then take $500 and buy the new phone off craigslist I want. So I'm only out $100 and own the new phone outright. At this point though after buying a GS4, I don't even really seeing myself buying a new phone for atleast 2 years as there just isn't much more that I could want in a phone.

finally google gonna try this whacky thing called marketing their phone

A new report from The Wall Street Journal is saying that Google is going all in on marketing for the upcoming Motorola Moto X. While Google is still running Motorola as if it were more of a close partner than a division of Google, word has it that Google is "allowing" Motorola to spend up to $500 million on advertising for the flagship device. Of course, that money is really all part of the Google company.

this_guy

I guess that's true if you don't count the $100 upfront cost for each new phone you switch to?

kehs

Banned
not sure why anyone would buy this phone on contract when the selling point is that it's cheap

I'm gonna say because most people aren't speccies. If they can deliver some unique software on it, I think it'll work. They seem to have people in place who have vision.

The droid life or whatever story said 199 on contract 599 off contract. If that's true I got nothing. Nothing...
that completely goes against what Woodside as at the D11 conference. He said they would change the game on pricing. 599 aint changing shitttttt.

I'm gonna say because most people aren't speccies. If they can deliver some unique software on it, I think it'll work. They seem to have people in place who have vision.
with 500 million dollars in marketing money that's more than apple and samsung spend so google is clearly taking this seriously as a mass market product.

Gonna laugh if it's US only at launch. Leave it to the googz folks.

kehs

Banned
I think Google is gonna get in legal trouble in the next year or so for witholding aosp releases so moto could shine.

Let's be real, if page and birney have no problem about putting all our personal data into a single bucket, are they really gonna respect a firewall between the moto and android decisions?

Talon

I think Google is gonna get in legal trouble in the next year or so for witholding aosp releases so moto could shine.

Let's be real, if page and birney have no problem about putting all our personal data into a single bucket, are they really gonna respect a firewall between the moto and android decisions?
Motorola to be deprecated for Google+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom