• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here picked up a Pebble? I'm thinking about picking one up since it isn't really a huge investment so I can kind of have fun with it and my phone. Any opinions?

this_guy

Once again, Brian Klug busts it wide open like a certified skrippa:

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-05%20at%205.11.12%20PM_575px.png

http://anandtech.com/show/7283/potential-nexus-5-fcc-disclosure-reappears-lgd820

Anandtech is good, but the guys over at s4gru.com are the one that deserves credit for this. All the tech sites are reporting based off the info s4gru dug up from the FCC.

Had a hands on with the Z1 this afternoon.

Lovely phone. Feels so much better in the hand than the Z, the aluminium is much nicer than the plastic, the subtle curves make it easier to handle despite the width increase. It fits in my pocket without too much trouble.

Insanely fast as well, like insanely fast.

Camera was impressive, but could use some work on the processing. It has pixel binning for the 8MP mode as well (like Pureview on the 808), at least that's what it looked like because the 8MP pictures didn't seem cropped to me.

The screen is brilliant, viewing angles are good, much better than my ZL. I had to tilt it to around 70 degrees before I started getting contrast drop off and at around 85 degrees (almost horizontal) there is some limited colour degradation. Other than for the most nitpicky the screen is excellent. X-reality doesn't really add anything IMO. Colours are amazing and blacks are incredible, maximum brightness is eye achingly bright as well. I was informed that there is going to be a panel lottery, but they are very similar this time, no big discrepancy like last time with the Z.

Overall, very impressed. I really hope they go ahead with the non-waterproof version in a smaller/thicker frame. I'm also informed that this is going to be the flagship for a long time, around 8-10 months before they refresh it was what they talked about, but they didn't want to confirm that 100% for me.

I want this phone! Everything seem perfect..only thing I don't like its only 16gb and it's on screen button...

Hi guise,

While I've been an iPhone person for the past 4 years, the lack of screen size updates is REALLY bugging me so I've been considering getting an S4 and skipping the new 4" iPhone whatever it may be.

Now I'm on Verizon and it's only been a year since I got service, so I have to pay full $599 price for an S4, but craigslist is full of new in box verizon S4's all day long for around 400 bucks. That's a much more acceptible price than the 649 Verizon's going to charge for the new small screen iPhone. Screen size is my ONLY problem with the iPhone, everything else I'm very happy with. I'll go back to the iPhone when they release a bigger screen hopefully next year.

So here are my questions
1. If I buy a phone from Craigslist (I'll check for bad ESN of course), is it trivial to get it activated with Verizon instead of my iPhone?
2. I hate any and all customization OEM's do for Android, no exceptions. Since there is no Google edition for the Verizon iPhone available, I will have to flash it with something that's stock or close to it. Which is the best bet, is it still Cyanogenmod?
3. Those who use CM with S4, is it rock solid?

Thanks.

get a Champagne 5S

bjscott05

Anyone here picked up a Pebble? I'm thinking about picking one up since it isn't really a huge investment so I can kind of have fun with it and my phone. Any opinions?

I don't have one, but my brother does. I've only seen it run connected to his iPhone and it seems to work well with it. Construction quality seems to be good and battery life is nice. At $150 it seems like a decent deal.

vivftp

I want this phone! Everything seem perfect..only thing I don't like its only 16gb and it's on screen button...

Yeah, a bit perplexed that they wouldn't at least offer a 32GB variant... I would've paid for it.

Ah well, I'll get the largest micro SD card I can find for it ASAP anyways.

Yeah, a bit perplexed that they wouldn't at least offer a 32GB variant... I would've paid for it.

Ah well, I'll get the largest micro SD card I can find for it ASAP anyways.

I rather have bigger storage than an sd card slot.
Internal storage always seem to be faster.

coldfoot

Banned
How would you hate the OEM customizations if you have never used them? And please don't say you played with a phone once for 15 minutes and didn't like it. It seems you are just predetermined to not like it from people's opinions. I'm generally curious.
From the opinions of people on the net and I don't trust companies like Samsung, HTC, and even Sony with OS software. Asian companies are good at knocking off hardware, but they are absolutely crap with software. Anything that Google does not currently implement on Android at the OS level is either garbage, or not ready for primetime.
get a Champagne 5S
Thanks for your contribution. I would not even consider Android if the 5S were 5" or larger, but it isn't and I'm sick of small screens.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Smaller form factor
Bigger screen
Better camera
...still crappy battery

Got dammit! It was almost perfect! The hype train continues. I may upgrade from my N4. I am weak.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Smaller form factor
Bigger screen
Better camera
...still crappy battery

Got dammit! It was almost perfect! The hype train continues. I may upgrade from my N4. I am weak.

Moto X's battery was well reviewed and it was 100 mAh less. There's still lots they can do on software to improve battery. mAh will soon be as useless for comparing battery life as megapixels are for picture quality, if it isn't already.

From the opinions of people on the net and I don't trust companies like Samsung, HTC, and even Sony with OS software. Asian companies are good at knocking off hardware, but they are absolutely crap with software. Anything that Google does not currently implement on Android at the OS level is either garbage, or not ready for primetime.

Thanks for your contribution. I would not even consider Android if the 5S were 5" or larger, but it isn't and I'm sick of small screens.

You sound like you already have a shit ton of false perceptions about things and a generally negative opinion of Android as a whole.

Buy another iPhone.

Moto X's battery was well reviewed and it was 100 mAh less. There's still lots they can do on software to improve battery. mAh will soon be as useless for comparing battery life as megapixels are for picture quality, if it isn't already.

Moto X had the Google Aura covering its decidedly average battery life though. many peeps said that shit was amazing and then the actual tests and the person who used it as a daily driver were like "nope!"

once again, i'm willing to wait for the carfax battery benchmarks

coldfoot

Banned
switch to T-Mobile and get a Nexus 4.
I only use the best network with real LTE support. Won't even consider any other carrier than VZ, plus I get a nice family plan discount. Otherwise, I'd definitely consider Nexus 4.
Buy another iPhone.
What part of "I need a large screen" did you not understand? I'd have a more favorable opinion of Android if it worked properly due to Google preventing Samsung, etc. from ruining their hard work and research. I respect Google, but have zero respect for Samsung, HTC, etc, they're barely better than noname cheap Chinese contract manufacturers. There are three companies in the world who know how to make a proper consumer OS, and they are Microsoft, Apple, and Google. Anything else is garbage.

I only use the best network with real LTE support. Won't even consider any other carrier than VZ, plus I get a nice family plan discount. Otherwise, I'd definitely consider Nexus 4.

What part of "I need a large screen" did you not understand? I'd have a more favorable opinion of Android if it worked properly due to Google preventing Samsung, etc. from ruining their hard work and research. I respect Google, but have zero respect for Samsung, HTC, etc when it comes to software. There are three companies in the world who know how to make a proper consumer OS, and they are Microsoft, Apple, and Google. Anything else is garbage.
iPad Mini LTE + Talkatone

Nokia Lumia 928

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't give me this nonsense. You're drinking the Kool Aid. I'm not. The X isn't the Note 2. My Nexus 4 will have that software improvement. It still won't be as good as a 3000 mAh phone.

Smaller form factor
Bigger screen
Better camera
...still crappy battery

At this point I'm convinced it's because they just hate battery life. There isn't any other good explanation.

If you actually USE your phone on a daily basis instead of letting it idle, then hahaha no. There's lots you can do to improve idle battery life. There's nothing you can do to improve battery life when the screen's on and the cell radio is communicating with the network and the CPU or GPU are grinding away except make the battery bigger. True story.

jokkir

Do you guys think the Note 2 will be good in two years? I'm not 100% sure I could get the S4 so I'm thinking of a fallback device that's not from this year (so it's cheaper)

Do you guys think the Note 2 will be good in two years? I'm not 100% sure I could get the S4 so I'm thinking of a fallback device that's not from this year (so it's cheaper)

My Note 2 is fine now, a year later. How good it will be in 2 years depends on whether Android will ever catch up to iOS in games. The quad-core 1.6 ghz ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and 2 GB of RAM in Note 2 are solid, the ARM Mali-400MP GPU is not as far as games would go in a possible future where Android had games like Infinity Blade.

I kind of want to buy Deus Ex: The Fall and try it but I don't know how it would run on the Note 2.

At this point I'm convinced it's because they just hate battery life. There isn't any other good explanation.

If you actually USE your phone on a daily basis instead of letting it idle, then hahaha no. There's lots you can do to improve idle battery life. There's nothing you can do to improve battery life when the screen's on and the cell radio is communicating with the network and the CPU or GPU are grinding away except make the battery bigger. True story.

i'd like to take the time to drop this gem off...

As the Moto X posted far from great endurance rating, we ran one more test for the device with Active Notifications and Touchless Control turned off. With the new setup, the Moto X posted a slightly better endurance rating of 44.

Considering the relatively small endurance gain, we would recommend that you leave the Active Notifications and Touchless Control on. Both features add substantially to the Moto X’s appeal, they don’t deserve to be left without a tick in the settings menu.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x-review-971p2.php

Heh, I sound a lot harsher than I meant that post to be. <3 Andrex

well it was crazy talk...you just kept it real...

i'd like to take the time to drop this gem off...

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x-review-971p2.php

yup, its mind boggling how some people defended the mid range spec because "its not about the spec" and they thought it would make the battery life magical!!

went to an ATT store...and that thing screamed mid range...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
UK&Android GAF will be pleased to know there's an update for BBC iPlayer today that allows temporary downloads of programmes.

On a very limited set of programmes, on a very limited set of phones. Still completely useless for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom