• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nexus 5 battery seems disappointing BUT the size seems really good. Bigger screen and smaller size is something I'm down for. And s800 is actually supposed to be better with battery efficiency so I don't mind that at all. At least that's what I remember reading about the s800.

I wonder if they'll still launch it for the 300 ish price tag at razor thin margins....if not that means they're probably keeping the 16gb nexus 4...but it seems so outdated. Or gonna make the moto x a nexus phone. Or just give the nexus 4 a spec bump.

is it really that the Nexus 5 battery looks bad or is it that we all know 3rd party manufacturers are much more aggressive than Google when it comes to things like kernel optimizations for battery life (and image processing) so we fear for the worst?

w3lT4mn.jpg

MSfKO1z.jpg

Groof

is it really that the Nexus 5 battery looks bad or is it that we all know 3rd party manufacturers are much more aggressive than Google when it comes to things like kernel optimizations for battery life (and image processing) so we fear for the worst?

Honestly, I think if they redid that test today the results for the N4 would be significantly better. While I wish they'd go for a much bigger battery in the N5, it will probably still be a great step up from the N4, with the most noticeable difference being in stand-by time.
4.3 did some great things to the battery life of the N4, 4.4 will probably be even greater. I think the N5 will be able to pull off 20 hours+ with ease.

Nicktendo86

Honestly, I think if they redid that test today the results for the N4 would be significantly better. While I wish they'd go for a much bigger battery in the N5, it will probably still be a great step up from the N4, with the most noticeable difference being in stand-by time.
4.3 did some great things to the battery life of the N4, 4.4 will probably be even greater. I think the N5 will be able to pull off 20 hours+ with ease.

You've got to remember though that by far the biggest battery drain is the screen and a bigger screen at 1080p will drain faster than the N4's. I think for screen on time the slight bump in batterysize will be pretty much negated. If they had put in a massive battery that would be the only thing to really make my jealous with my N4 but as they are not I am actually pretty happy!

Not really, the top/bottom bezel on a n4 is huge

Sure, but like you just said, the Nexus 4 is way bigger than it should be. LG isn't exactly known for sleek, form-slimming design. LG's G2 is a monstrosity, as are most other 5+ inch phones. The fact they actually tried here is very unexpected, and highly welcomed.

My only hope is that Googy knows battery life is important, and they're focusing on optimizing it in KitKat.

Groof

You've got to remember though that by far the biggest battery drain is the screen and a bigger screen at 1080p will drain faster than the N4's. I think for screen on time the slight bump in batterysize will be pretty much negated. If they had put in a massive battery that would be the only thing to really make my jealous with my N4 but as they are not I am actually pretty happy!

Yeah I know that, but I think with better processing management and kernel optimisations they'd still be able to shave off even more power consumption. The N7 (2013) has a smaller battery yet higher resolution, and still manages to push the same/more hours than the previous one. I think the same might be true in this case.

Though personally, I would've liked a greater improvement and I'm with you on that. I'll probably feel good sitting this one out and see where they go next year.

Nicktendo86

Yeah I know that, but I think with better processing management and kernel optimisations they'd still be able to shave off even more power consumption. The N7 (2013) has a smaller battery yet higher resolution, and still manages to push the same/more hours than the previous one. I think the same might be true in this case.

Though personally, I would've liked a greater improvement and I'm with you on that. I'll probably feel good sitting this one out and see where they go next year.

Yep I'm with you on that, I hope KK adds some good improvements and will then wait for Next year's update.

Speaking of KK, I wish Google would get a move on with the announcement! I suppose they will do another breakfast with Sundar or something like that for the reveal and press invites have to go out first so I guess we are still a few weeks away, soooo frustrating.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I am going to assume that Verizon will have the same Oct 2 launch date. I had an online chat with a Verizon CSR last night who couldn't tell me the price or ship date and said that she wouldn't have that information until it went up for sale this morning.

tino

Banned

See this is what Apple is missing out. Premium price for extra hardware people are willing to pay (at lease for the launch window.) The Note 3 doesn't even have $50 worth of extra hardware compare to other flagship phones. They just have built up this premium image over the years for the Note.

On the subject of the N5, I am sure its a water downed G2 with 299/399 price point for 16/32GB.

Zeppu

Yeah yeah, I read everything. I know the only noticeable difference is like 4-5mm height from my GN, but looking at the LG G2, I don't like it. Hope they change it enough. I don't find bezelless designs to be usable unless they implement some accidental touch rejection software.

#TeamBezel

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm okay that I bought the Nexus 4 instead of waiting for the 5. It was still a great value anyways.
Perfectly happy with my Nexus 4. I only switched from my Nexus One because that phone died on me. I switched from the Galaxy Nexus for obvious reasons to an OG Note. But really missed having a Nexus so off to the N4.

Do I need the 5? Probably not but it seems like a cool update. Maybe worthwhile but at least desired. And if it's cheap enough again, why not. I'll wait and see.

Ephemeris

Serious question.

Will the Nexus brand matter as much say 2 years from now? With Google's defrag efforts under way, you can still have some of the best goodies while being a version or two behind.

Okay, maybe I want the software buttons cause I hate holding the Home button to switch between apps.

>_> <_<

That's all I give to the N4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Serious question.

Will the Nexus brand matter as much say 2 years from now? With Google's defrag efforts under way, you can still have some of the best goodies while being a version or two behind.

By then, Microsoft's patent extortions will force Samsung to make TouchWiz OS, opening up a window for Nexus to take the crown.

tino

Banned
NAWKIAZ? This has to be a joke.

I hope they cook up some meego-inspired Android launcher to fuel the fanboy forum wars.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does Amazon usually do pre-orders for phones? I'd like to pre-order the note 3 through them and save some cash.

I don't think I have ever seen them do a pre-order. I chatted with a CSR the other day who had no idea when they would have the Note 3 for sale. I, too, would prefer to order through Amazon. Between not having to pay sales tax, getting points on my Amazon card, and credit I already have on my account, I would be saving about half the price of the phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Getting the N7 as a gift + redoing my comcast contract = catching up on all of the HBO shows via the Xfinity app since I get HBO now for free for a while.

I'm half way through season 2 of GoTs. What should I watch next. Boardwalk Empire or Newsroom?

With so much bezel, I can't tell which one is N4 which one is N5.

It's a fan render. The point is to show how the N5 is smaller than the N4, despite having a larger screen. No one knows what the front looks like on the N5. It could have a smaller top and bottom bezel.

tzare

looks that no sony nexus phone in the near future .....

Xataka: What kind of relationship do you have with ANdroid/google? Many people ask why there is no Sony Nexus phone

Kuni Suzuki: Relationship with Android is very good, you can ask google, we have a very close relationship

Xataka: But we understand sony is no interested in making a phone for other brands..

Kuni Suzuki: That's it

http://www.xataka.com/moviles/quien...-movil-es-sony-kuni-suzuki-ceo-de-sony-mobile

pd. spanish interview, sorry for rushed translation

tino

Banned
It's a fan render. The point is to show how the N5 is smaller than the N4, despite having a larger screen. No one knows what the front looks like on the N5. It could have a smaller top and bottom bezel.

Don't you guys think the phone in the leaked video look very squareish? Like a Droid X.

SimleuqiR

looks that no sony nexus phone in the near future .....

Xataka: What kind of relationship do you have with ANdroid/google? Many people ask why there is no Sony Nexus phone

Kuni Suzuki: Relationship with Android is very good, you can ask google, we have a very close relationship

Xataka: But we understand sony is no interested in making a phone for other brands..

Kuni Suzuki: That's it

http://www.xataka.com/moviles/quien...-movil-es-sony-kuni-suzuki-ceo-de-sony-mobile

pd. spanish interview, sorry for rushed translation

Sony passed up the chance to make the Nexus One.
I think if they had accepted the chance they could have been in a different position now, at least in the USA.

Gah. No AT&T? I don't want my only choices to be pretty much an S4, One, or Moto X. :(

Offline for $759 from Sony, probably around $599 from approved dealers later in October. HSPA+ only though. Z1 LTE will be T-Mobile exclusive for at least 2013. In 2014 SMC US are released from their covenants with T-Mobile and AT&T could get the device early in 2014 if they want it (not sure if they do though).

VoxPop

The only real chance Samsung had with the Gear would have been having it subsidized with Note 3/GS4 purchases at around $100 or less just so people would have one. I really feel sorry for whatever poor sap the carriers talk into buying that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom