• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the amount of bezel on a phone significantly affect its useability ? When I think about it on the side bezel should be a problem no one ever needs to tap the bezel at the top and the phones are already easily pocketable

Does the amount of bezel on a phone significantly affect its useability ? When I think about it on the side bezel should be a problem no one ever needs to tap the bezel at the top and the phones are already easily pocketable

The 20.7MP camera module needs a large bezel because it didn't fit behind the LCD screen without a massive bulge or a 13mm thick phone. The bottom bezel is large to stick to the "omnibalance" design and to fit a mega sized battery in there.

Toki767

You go for LG G2, seems to be a better choice.

I'm just not sold on the back buttons for the G2. The side has always seemed like the most logical place to put a power button for me. It's always annoyed me that HTC puts their power button on the top, otherwise I'd get the One.

Offline for $759 from Sony, probably around $599 from approved dealers later in October. HSPA+ only though. Z1 LTE will be T-Mobile exclusive for at least 2013. In 2014 SMC US are released from their covenants with T-Mobile and AT&T could get the device early in 2014 if they want it (not sure if they do though).

Ok Mr Sony expert guy, I have a question and I'm to lazy to google-fu cause it's Friday.

If I import a z1 in the US will LTE work on ATT?

Edit:
Seem like it will work on ATT lte ...woot!

Toki767

Ok Mr Sony expert guy, I have a question and I'm to lazy to google-fu cause it's Friday.

Edit:

AT&T's LTE band is 4 and 17. The Z1 seems to only support 4. So I guess limited LTE support.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Edit:

AT&T's LTE band is 4 and 17. The Z1 seems to only support 4. So I guess limited LTE support.

I've been wondering this - the global page for the Z1 says it supports band 4 AND 17: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z1/specifications/#tabs

If you check the white papers there, it links to the C6906 model, which has band 17.

I honestly don't know which one is right. Does the global model support band 17 or not?

??

You've got to remember though that by far the biggest battery drain is the screen and a bigger screen at 1080p will drain faster than the N4's. I think for screen on time the slight bump in batterysize will be pretty much negated. If they had put in a massive battery that would be the only thing to really make my jealous with my N4 but as they are not I am actually pretty happy!

the biggest drain is the screen, but (1) it's not 'by far' and (2) it;s not such a huge gulf between a 720p and 1080p screen. there are a lot of optimizations to be made, and if you check out the Anandtech Moto X review, they even mention in the benchmark tests that while on some of those tests, the Moto X is hitting the same FPS, it's doing so with its dual core CPUs running at max clock for a high % of the time, when other devices like the GS4 are running 3-4 cores at a lower clock speed and some cores hitting idle a lot which is actually more power efficient.

ATT, Verizon, and Tmo Note 3's will be $300 on contract, $700 off contract.

note3verizon.png

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1852610&highlight=

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-note-3-jet-black.html#fbid=b6kdkUCOT7n

$$$$$

same price as Note and Note 2. and the Nokia Lumia 1080!

If its the same price on Verizon then itll be my next phone. Big screen, large battery and the latest CPU/GPU. Only issue could be the buttons on the back.

i think buttons on the back will actually be a big hit. i can really see people falling in love with it.

Toki767

i think buttons on the back will actually be a big hit. i can really see people falling in love with it.
My biggest issue with buttons on the back is that there is always a certain amount of pressure you have to use to press a physical button and I don't know if that will go well with trying to hold the phone with one hand.

hit up the Sprint, Verizon and AT&T stores today

after owning a Note 2 for so long all these other phones feel so light and tiny. cheap even...

the Red HTC One looks nice

DAT NEON YELLOW MOTO X BACK.. WOOOOOOW!!! have not seen a yellow so nice since the HTC 8S

every time i use WP8 i just can't believe some of the browser design decisions. shit really needs Firefox! or at least Chrome. and i mean the real thing, not some rebadged OEM engine.

well it was crazy talk...you just kept it real...

yup, its mind boggling how some people defended the mid range spec because "its not about the spec" and they thought it would make the battery life magical!!

went to an ATT store...and that thing screamed mid range...
the best part is the mid-range spec actually makes the battery life worse!

The only real chance Samsung had with the Gear would have been having it subsidized with Note 3/GS4 purchases at around $100 or less just so people would have one. I really feel sorry for whatever poor sap the carriers talk into buying that crap.
smartwatches are niche period. maybe someday someone will make one that isn't... maybe not.

Toki767

Been looking up G2 reviews. It seems nice. If the Z1 doesn't come out this year I may get that one. Hopefully the bootloader is unlocked.

Picked up a Pebble. Liking it so far. Live the convinience of texts and being able to control my music without having to take my phone out everytime.

malfcn

AWS Wireless sucks. Ordered a case from them over a month ago. After it was instock, the put it on back order after waiting 2 weeks. I found the case I wanted and ordered it from someone else. After multiple attempts to cancel with them they charged and shipped it anyways.

Luckily I paid with Paypal through Amazon, so I am sure they will have my back. But wow, what shitty service.

coldfoot

Banned
Got the S4, and I realized how much I missed having a blinking led.

Still, it's a crime that Android, famous for being customizable as much as you want, allows carriers/manufacturers to have such a shit OOBE. Why do you start the client out with 5 home screens and not just one (easy to change). More importantly why do you preload NFL, Amazon, shit media player, shit office apps with NO WAY to uninstall them? Why start out the OOBE with 2 e-mail apps, seriously? Google should follow the WP method and anything that's not made by google should be uninstallable without having to root or install another ROM for crying out loud.

Still, besides the uninstallable app problem and being forced to use an e-mail client that I don't want, touchwiz isn't slow at least. I would have considered keeping it if I could uninstall stuff and it wouldn't break the system.

Zeppu

Notification lights are highly underrated. Coldfoot. Make it better with LightFlow.

Also, I think, while you cannot uninstall the shitty apps, you can disable them from the app options.

coldfoot

Banned
Notification lights are highly underrated. Coldfoot. Make it better with LightFlow.

Also, I think, while you cannot uninstall the shitty apps, you can disable them from the app options.

Yeah you can disable them but they're still visible in the applications control panel and also take up space, and that bugs me tremendously :) I went them terminated, and then there's the e-mail problem. E-mail is as crucial as messaging, you shouldn't let carriers/manufacturers screw. I also don't want multiple browsers on my phone, stock android browser is just fine.

coldfoot

Banned
Also another thing, does google let free gmail account holders use exchange active sync protocol with iOS but doesn't let them with Android? That seems to be the case...

Husker86

Also another thing, does google let free gmail account holders use exchange active sync protocol with iOS but doesn't let them with Android? That seems to be the case...

If you were using it before the date they switched it off, you can keep using it.

Still, it's a crime that Android, famous for being customizable as much as you want, allows carriers/manufacturers to have such a shit OOBE. Why do you start the client out with 5 home screens and not just one (easy to change). More importantly why do you preload NFL, Amazon, shit media player, shit office apps with NO WAY to uninstall them? Why start out the OOBE with 2 e-mail apps, seriously? Google should follow the WP method and anything that's not made by google should be uninstallable without having to root or install another ROM for crying out loud.

Still, besides the uninstallable app problem and being forced to use an e-mail client that I don't want, touchwiz isn't slow at least. I would have considered keeping it if I could uninstall stuff and it wouldn't break the system.

lol What you described there is Touchwiz, not Android. Turn on an HTC One for the first time and you'll have a very different experience.

Doesn't the HTC One force Blinkfeed on you out of the box?

Not exactly forced. It's on one of the only two pages you start with. I also only got about 4 bloat apps that I cant get rid of (5 if you include the battery hogging chrome). However I think that could relate to specific carriers. I hear Verizon is awful for that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I swear I must be the only person without Chrome problems. I use Chrome Beta as my main browser and I haven't had all of the crashing and/or battery problems I keep seeing people post about on the web.

Weird.... guess I can consider myself lucky *or not that picky.

nobody starts with one homescreen because it's counterintuitive. starting with 3 or 5 makes them more discoverable. i actually agree that a lot of the pre-installed apps should come on the user data partition and not the system partition since even if you root and remove the extra apps it frees space in the system partition, which isn't particularly useful. the ones that don't exist on the Play Store should be published. as for mail, there's the Gmail app that works with Gmail and a normal email app that works with any mail server. The Gmail app is a specialized app for a specific service.

vdlow

I swear I must be the only person without Chrome problems. I use Chrome Beta as my main browser and I haven't had all of the crashing and/or battery problems I keep seeing people post about on the web.

Weird.... guess I can consider myself lucky *or not that picky.

Chrome Beta is beautiful on my Galaxy S4. I can't tell the same of my OG Nexus 7. =/

adg1034

Anandtech has a mini review of the LG G2. Battery life looks great.

8 pages isn't what I'd call mini. It doesn't get as deep into the software as others, but Anandtech's always been far more of a hardware-focused site and damn, do they do it well.

On a different note, is there a consensus recommendation for Verizon customers with grandfathered unlimited data? I'm definitely not using as much data as I did a year or so ago, but my Galaxy Nexus is getting a bit janky, and I'm itching for something a little more current. My upgrade date's in January, but I'd have to pay full price for my next phone to keep the unlimited data anyway, so...

G2 reviews bode well for Nexus 5. Lets hope google steps up dat camera software. LG managed to go from shitty cameras to good in like a year or less.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
8 pages isn't what I'd call mini. It doesn't get as deep into the software as others, but Anandtech's always been far more of a hardware-focused site and damn, do they do it well.

On a different note, is there a consensus recommendation for Verizon customers with grandfathered unlimited data? I'm definitely not using as much data as I did a year or so ago, but my Galaxy Nexus is getting a bit janky, and I'm itching for something a little more current. My upgrade date's in January, but I'd have to pay full price for my next phone to keep the unlimited data anyway, so...

Pray the Nexus 5 is actually Verizon compatible like the rumors are saying.

coldfoot

Banned
nobody starts with one homescreen because it's counterintuitive. starting with 3 or 5 makes them more discoverable.
i actually agree that a lot of the pre-installed apps should come on the user data partition and not the system partition since even if you root and remove the extra apps it frees space in the system partition, which isn't particularly useful. the ones that don't exist on the Play Store should be published. as for mail, there's the Gmail app that works with Gmail and a normal email app that works with any mail server. The Gmail app is a specialized app for a specific service.
Keep your most used in one home screen and use the app drawer for the rest, much less confusing and much less convoluted. Most people use a single desktop on their computer not 3 or 5.

Also gmail is email. Using specific apps for different email providers is moronic. My single email app on iOS gets all my mail from all my accounts. I can't even evaluate the stock android email client because the cheap Asian clone manufacturer known as Samsung doesn't realize that they suck at software.

3phemeral

I'm really liking that Xperia Z1. Sad thing is I was just gifted a ExmoreR DSC-HX30V for my birthday, which has 1.8MP less than the phone. Although, I still imagine the lens and image quality are still superior overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom