• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep your most used in one home screen and use the app drawer for the rest, much less confusing and much less convoluted. Most people use a single desktop on their computer not 3 or 5.

Also gmail is email. Using specific apps for different email providers is moronic. My single email app on iOS gets all my mail from all my accounts. I can't even evaluate the stock android email client because the cheap Asian clone manufacturer known as Samsung doesn't realize that they suck at software.

Are you done being an abrasive asshole and an Apple fanboy yet?

iOS thread is that way. Incredible that you're getting away with trolling this thread.

this_guy

Keep your most used in one home screen and use the app drawer for the rest, much less confusing and much less convoluted. Most people use a single desktop on their computer not 3 or 5.

Yes I like how IOS gets it right. Every single fucking app you have goes on your homescreen, just like most people's desktops. Amirite?

8 pages isn't what I'd call mini. It doesn't get as deep into the software as others, but Anandtech's always been far more of a hardware-focused site and damn, do they do it well.

On a different note, is there a consensus recommendation for Verizon customers with grandfathered unlimited data? I'm definitely not using as much data as I did a year or so ago, but my Galaxy Nexus is getting a bit janky, and I'm itching for something a little more current. My upgrade date's in January, but I'd have to pay full price for my next phone to keep the unlimited data anyway, so...

8 pages is mini for them

Is this a milestone of some sort?

check coldfoot's post history. i'm still like 25% "we are getting punk'd" but i don't wanna ask for pics and would rather just hope for the best...

reKon

Banned
gsmarena_001.jpg

you know you want it

coldfoot

Banned
Yes I like how IOS gets it right. Every single fucking app you have goes on your homescreen, just like most people's desktops. Amirite?
I'm actually warming up to the one home screen plus app drawer idea, maybe even 2 home screens if I can find widgets that work properly and are useful at the same time. There are other things Android does better than iOS as well, such as app integration.

But you have to start simple, easy. Not with 5 home screens and all sorts of widgets and other crap I did not want in the first place. No wonder many people are leaving Android for iPhone in the US where they're priced similarly.

I still have hope that the stock Android e-mail app does Gmail push + Exchange push simultaneously. I could have tried it if the morons at Samsung didn't have their own e-mail app and it's impossible to download the stock Android mail app from the play store.

One thing I don't like about the S4 is the placement of the power button, too easy to press accidentally. If you can't properly innovate like LG did with the G2 and put it on the back side, just copy the iPhone and put it at the top.

Oh and this is for a certain IRC afficianado:

this_guy

I'm actually warming up to the one home screen plus app drawer idea, maybe even 2 home screens if I can find widgets that work properly and are useful at the same time.

But you have to start simple, easy. Not with 5 home screens and all sorts of widgets and other crap I did not want in the first place. No wonder many people are leaving Android for iPhone in the US where they're priced similarly.

I still have hope that the stock Android e-mail app does Gmail push + Exchange push simultaneously. I could have tried it if the morons at Samsung didn't have their own e-mail app and it's impossible to download the stock Android mail app from the play store.

I do think when people start using 5+ screens that's too many. I'm currently using a Windows phone, but when using Android I typically will only use one screen for my most used apps, and a couple other screens just for widgets. I'll have a page that's a full size calendar widget, and another page that's a full size Facebook widget (I used Friendcaster - it has a great scrollable widget). Those widgets are things I looked at on a regular bases so I liked that set up.

I like Apple's hardware, but I really want iOS to add some sort of widget/live tile system.

Am I doing this whole rss thing wrong? I add a site and it pulls the story and all that but I still have to click read more and load the site up? What's the point of it. I might as well go through a bunch of bookmarks on my browser

RM8

So I'm super happy because I just got my new red Xperia SP and it's awesome :D Super snappy and a big upgrade from my Xperia P. Everything is right in the world, except... well, apparently Asphalt 8 is not compatible with my device? What? How on Earth can my old Xperia P be compatible with Asphalt 8 but not the Xperia SP which is months old? Uh... yeah, there are some things Android still needs to figure out. Oh well. I hope I don't come across many cases like this one. Because I'm really happy with my upgrade

iavi

It's boiling down to the Nexus 5 or note 3 for my next phone. Good chance it's the nexus if it supports Verizon like the rumors are saying.

It's boiling down to the Nexus 5 or note 3 for my next phone. Good chance it's the nexus if it supports Verizon like the rumors are saying.

Rumors are saying it doesn't support Verizon actually. The model that went through the FCC did not support Verizon's LTE.

Arkanius

If you people love the 1 homescreen + App drawer for the rest, allow me to suggest you to get Action Launcher Pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrislacy.actionlauncher.pro

This is my homescreen

All of those icons are actually folders (called Covers) where you swipe up and reveal other apps in the same folder. For example, Productivity has the Gmail as the cover app (Which I use the most) but if I swipe up, I have calendar, dropbox, notes, etc etc)
Camera cover, I swipe up, and reveal gallery, instagram, Snapseed,etc
Also, inside these covers or outside them, you can have something called Shutters, which are widgets hidden by the same swipe up gesture. For example, Google Play Music, I swipe up, and reveal the controlls widget.
Outside the covers/folders I have the Sidebar where every app is ordered alphabetically. I also have a quicksearch to open apps quickly like I would do on Windows Start Menu.

Best launcher I ever spent my money on.

I'm actually warming up to the one home screen plus app drawer idea, maybe even 2 home screens if I can find widgets that work properly and are useful at the same time. There are other things Android does better than iOS as well, such as app integration.

One thing I don't like about the S4 is the placement of the power button, too easy to press accidentally. If you can't properly innovate like LG did with the G2 and put it on the back side, just copy the iPhone and put it at the top.

Oh and this is for a certain IRC afficianado:
nooooooooooooooooo no top power button! volume on left and power on right is perfect!

dark theme is more power efficient on OLED screens. and it just looks so good!!!

sca2511

I almost always use three homescreens. Main/most used apps in the middle, widgets on the left, and most used categories on the right. Five homescreens is too much for me, but if it works for somebody else, coolios. Options, options.

and gaddamn that battery life.

I almost always use three homescreens. Main/most used apps in the middle, widgets on the left, and most used categories on the right. Five homescreens is too much for me, but if it works for somebody else, coolios. Options, options.

and gaddamn that battery life.
Po

The remote can be configured to launch automatically when the G Pro connects to your home Wi-Fi network.
nice!

There's also a clever feature called puzzle lock, which will make you solve a simple puzzle to disable the alarm. This way you will only be able to stop the ringing when you have properly woken up.
LG came to win.

So I'm super happy because I just got my new red Xperia SP and it's awesome :D Super snappy and a big upgrade from my Xperia P. Everything is right in the world, except... well, apparently Asphalt 8 is not compatible with my device? What? How on Earth can my old Xperia P be compatible with Asphalt 8 but not the Xperia SP which is months old? Uh... yeah, there are some things Android still needs to figure out. Oh well. I hope I don't come across many cases like this one. Because I'm really happy with my upgrade

Download the Amazon App store apk and see if it lets you download it on that.

Otherwise torrent it, it's a free app.

So apparently you're still able to use the Xposed framework stuff on the S4 without a custom recovery as long as you have root, which I do. Of course, since I can't do a nandroid I need to be very careful, but I'm glad I can have some level of customization now.

kehs

Banned
I still don't understand why people want unified inboxes for email. Every time I try using it in the regular email app, I get pissed off.

I understand it for messages and chat, but for email? no way.

Milchjon

I still don't understand why people want unified inboxes for email. Every time I try using it in the regular email app, I get pissed off.

Why not both? I have one unified inbox for all my regular stuff and another one for a throwaway e-mail address.

HawkeyeIC

If the regular e-mail app didn't suck, it would probably not piss you off as much.

kehs

Banned
It could be the app sucking, but still don't like all this stuff jumbled together.

I have like eight or nine email addresses on my phone and it would be a nightmare for me to sift through that. :shrugs:

Heysoos

Hoping someone can help me with this. Bought my Galaxy S4 in the beginning of June. Anyways, today I charge my phone before work, Unplug it at 100% and leave for work right away. Get in to work at ~5pm. At 9:35 I get a text, this will be the first time I turn on my phone since I got to work, and I notice my battery is pretty low.
Something's up right? How can I figure out what?

I took these when I got home.

Hoping someone can help me because that's never happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom