• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Hoping someone can help me with this. Bought my Galaxy S4 in the beginning of June. Anyways, today I charge my phone before work, Unplug it at 100% and leave for work right away. Get in to work at ~5pm. At 9:35 I get a text, this will be the first time I turn on my phone since I got to work, and I notice my battery is pretty low.

Something's up right? How can I figure out what?

I took these when I got home.

Hoping someone can help me because that's never happened before.

It could be a lot of things. Did you install a new app? Were you in an area with horrible reception? Is your wifi on but not connected?

Heysoos

Wifi is strong where I work so it's always connected. Haven't installed any new apps, but I noticed a bunch had been updated right before I took off. Is there anyway I can track down the app?

nvm see Play story has my recently updated apps.

It was either Facebook, Chrome, or Flipboard. I can uninstall both Facebook and Chrome so I guess I'll uninstall those and see how my battery handles tomorrow.

Toki767

Wifi is strong where I work so it's always connected. Haven't installed any new apps, but I noticed a bunch had been updated right before I took off. Is there anyway I can track down the app?

nvm see Play story has my recently updated apps.

It was either Facebook, Chrome, or Flipboard. I can uninstall both Facebook and Chrome so I guess I'll uninstall those and see how my battery handles tomorrow.

BetterBatteryStats on the Play Store is a good thing to have to determine which apps are causing wakelocks that drain battery. I never did figure out how to use it myself but maybe you'll have more luck.

Keep your most used in one home screen and use the app drawer for the rest, much less confusing and much less convoluted. Most people use a single desktop on their computer not 3 or 5.

Also gmail is email. Using specific apps for different email providers is moronic. My single email app on iOS gets all my mail from all my accounts. I can't even evaluate the stock android email client because the cheap Asian clone manufacturer known as Samsung doesn't realize that they suck at software.

if they don't ship the email app, anyone who doesn't use gmail has to get an email app from somewhere and anyone who has a second (corporate/work) email has to get an email app from somewhere... every other smartphone OS ships with a standard email app! even the nexus phones come with an email app! many Android devices just happen to *also* ship with a Gmail app which only works with gmail based accounts. this is a specialized app and has special gmail functions. seriously, why ship with anything except a web browser, you can just use the browser for everything!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
coldfoot: Stop looking for an iOS experience. Embrace the new experience. If you can't, return the phone and leave. Things aren't necessarily better or worse. Just different. Try to grasp that concept. Power button at the top of a near 5 inch phone? That just shows you have no clue.

gsmarena_001.jpg

you know you want it

Looks awesome. I wish the ear piece was pushed up like the N4, though. And the battery life is amazing. Too bad the N5 can't do that :(

coldfoot: Stop looking for an iOS experience. Embrace the new experience. If you can't, return the phone and leave. Things aren't necessarily better or worse. Just different. Try to grasp that concept. Power button at the top of a near 5 inch phone? That just shows you have no clue.

Fuckin' this man. The power button on the HTC One is the most retarded thing ever and comes close to ruining a great phone.

Top mounted power button is fine on iPhone cause it's small but if you put one on a 4.5"+ phone, you have failed.

MattDoza

I don't know about "retarded." It doubling as an IR blaster is pretty cool. I hit the volume rocker when I hold the phone in my right hand, sometimes, so I'm OK with where it is.

thespot84

Multiple unified inboxes on each device you own is gross.

one gmail account to rule them all. Gmail is available on every platform, and with the exception of exchange (which is always work related and a monolithic beast that needs to die anyways) everything can be synced to a single gmail address allowing for synced push email across all devices without having to ever set up more than one gmail address.

If you have to use exchange, get work to pay for touchdown. For everything else, there's gmail.

JordanKZ

Hoping someone can help me with this. Bought my Galaxy S4 in the beginning of June. Anyways, today I charge my phone before work, Unplug it at 100% and leave for work right away. Get in to work at ~5pm. At 9:35 I get a text, this will be the first time I turn on my phone since I got to work, and I notice my battery is pretty low.

Something's up right? How can I figure out what?

I took these when I got home.

Hoping someone can help me because that's never happened before.

Pick up BetteryBatteryStats. I'm not sure if its free or not, but its your best bet for working out if you have some wakelock going on thats eating your battery and stopping your phone from going into deep sleep.

I don't know about "retarded." It doubling as an IR blaster is pretty cool. I hit the volume rocker when I hold the phone in my right hand, sometimes, so I'm OK with where it is.

ok, sure it sounds cool to know the IR blaster is embedded behind the power button, but seriously... every other phone with an IR blaster manages to do it with the power button in a different location. it's not like they *had* to put it there, but it sure does save them a few cents when machining that aluminum case!

Multiple unified inboxes on each device you own is gross.

one gmail account to rule them all. Gmail is available on every platform, and with the exception of exchange (which is always work related and a monolithic beast that needs to die anyways) everything can be synced to a single gmail address allowing for synced push email across all devices without having to ever set up more than one gmail address.

If you have to use exchange, get work to pay for touchdown. For everything else, there's gmail.
shitty workarounds, hooray! this is almost as bad as the peeps suggesting dropbox as a replacement for drag 'n drop file management.

mackattk

Pick up BetteryBatteryStats. I'm not sure if its free or not, but its your best bet for working out if you have some wakelock going on thats eating your battery and stopping your phone from going into deep sleep.

XDA link (BBS is free for XDA members).http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

But if you like the program be sure to support the developer.

Tutorial:
http://www.alliance-rom.com/community/wiki/better-battery-stats-guide

Basically you need to look at partial wakelocks, and try to determine which program is keeping your phone (but not screen) awake.

gcubed

So I finally got my one in and successfully converted it over to a google experience phone. Good lord the beauty.

Only have 2 complaints... Power button on top (wtf HTC) and crappy touch buttons... I miss my keyboard hide button

Toki767

So I finally got my one in and successfully converted it over to a google experience phone. Good lord the beauty.

Only have 2 complaints... Power button on top (wtf HTC) and crappy touch buttons... I miss my keyboard hide button

The top power button is the only thing preventing me from getting the One. The back button is the keyboard hide button isn't it?

coldfoot

Banned
if they don't ship the email app, anyone who doesn't use gmail has to get an email app from somewhere and anyone who has a second (corporate/work) email has to get an email app from somewhere... every other smartphone OS ships with a standard email app! even the nexus phones come with an email app! many Android devices just happen to *also* ship with a Gmail app which only works with gmail based accounts. this is a specialized app and has special gmail functions. seriously, why ship with anything except a web browser, you can just use the browser for everything!
Just like the browser, the email app should come standard with every Android device, it should be a part of the OS like making calls or messaging. Some key features are just too crucial and critical to let stupid third parties to fuck it up. Now the user should be able to change them if they want, but only the user, not the clueless third parties. You shouldn't let third parties remove the stock e-mail app with no way to add it back short of custom ROM images.

Bboy AJ said:
The iOS experience, except for a few missing features like apps talking to each other and data exchange, better backgrounding, and the ability to change default apps, is objectively the best smartphone experience in the world. I'm just trying to get Android to be on par, and passable to use until Apple releases a bigger screen iPhone. Also I don't see why having the power button on top is a problem on a bigger phone when it's no problem on the iPad. I keep accidentally pressing the power button on the S4 while holding it one handed. That doesn't happen with Apple products.

Toki767

Also I don't see why having the power button on top is a problem on a bigger phone when it's no problem on the iPad. I keep accidentally pressing the power button on the S4 while holding it one handed. That doesn't happen with Apple products.

Virtually everyone with an iPad uses smart covers so that they don't need to touch the power button.

Milchjon

The iOS experience, is objectively the best smartphone experience in the world.

Such a thing doesn't exist.

Everyone has a set of preferences, every smartphone offers a set of features. "Fits my preferences most closely" is the only legitimate argument.

Otherwise people wouldn't ever buy any other phone at a similar price.

Just like the browser, the email app should come standard with every Android device, it should be a part of the OS like making calls or messaging. Some key features are just too crucial and critical to let stupid third parties to fuck it up. Now the user should be able to change them if they want, but only the user, not the clueless third parties. You shouldn't let third parties remove the stock e-mail app with no way to add it back short of custom ROM images.
most of those OEM versions are just forked from the AOSP version. the Samsung email app is way better than the AOSP version. the Samsung browser is also better than the AOSP version! oh wait, the Samsung messaging app is better than the AOSP version. dialer... i can keep going on and on... the AOSP versions of many stock apps are still playing catch-up to some OEM versions both in features and performance.

The iOS experience, except for a few missing features like apps talking to each other and data exchange, better backgrounding, and the ability to change default apps, is objectively the best smartphone experience in the world. I'm just trying to get Android to be on par, and passable to use until Apple releases a bigger screen iPhone. Also I don't see why having the power button on top is a problem on a bigger phone when it's no problem on the iPad. I keep accidentally pressing the power button on the S4 while holding it one handed. That doesn't happen with Apple products.
I never accidentally press the power button. top power buttons, especially on big phones, are a pain to use. so inconvenient compared to side power buttons. the back buttons on the G2 seem to be pretty nice too. objectively? lol IRC. my old Windows Mobile 6 was a better *smart*phone experience than whatever iOS is doing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The iOS experience ... is objectively the best smartphone experience in the world.
I owned an iPhone probably before you even owned a cell phone. This quote is such crap. You should probably go back to iOS if you want Android to be iOS.

Also, do you use your iPad one handed? Mental gymnastics.

reKon

Banned

Power button on top is definitely worse... This is coming from someone who sent from a Galaxy Nexus to an HTC One. You will adjust to a power button being on the side and appreciate it. Also I wish the headphone jack was on the bottom. I think that bothers me the most on my HTC One because I listen to music daily and have to take the phone out of my pocket a lot.

Also, I don't know why you find the android experience so lacking. Android is much quicker in terms of navigating thorough the OS and you can customize it anyway you want easily. You're seeing developers like MYCOLORSCREEN or w/e they are stepping up and creating one button theming to make your device home screen look incredible with amazing functionality.

The iOS experience, except for a few missing features like apps talking to each other and data exchange, better backgrounding, and the ability to change default apps, is objectively the best smartphone experience in the world.

No there are a lot of missing features in iOS.

I'm just trying to get Android to be on par, and passable to use until Apple releases a bigger screen iPhone.

You know, I tried to do this when I switched. I tried to make it as much like an iPhone as possible because I just wanted an iPhone that fixed the problems that Apple is either slow to address or won't address. It's the wrong attitude to go with. There are definitely a lot of things that irk me about Android but there are also a lot that is gained. It's a trade off and the sooner you accept that, the better. Now that I've been using it for almost 5 months as my regular phone, going back to the iPhone trips me up sometimes because there aren't certain things there that you start to get used to in Android.

Also I don't see why having the power button on top is a problem on a bigger phone when it's no problem on the iPad. I keep accidentally pressing the power button on the S4 while holding it one handed. That doesn't happen with Apple products.

If you wanted a power button on top, why didn't you buy an HTC One? You know what happens with Apple products? Messing up the input when trying to do a double click on home because Apple tried to funnel everything to one button beyond its original design. That doesn't happen on Android.

coldfoot

Banned
most of those OEM versions are just forked from the AOSP version. the Samsung email app is way better than the AOSP version. the Samsung browser is also better than the AOSP version! oh wait, the Samsung messaging app is better than the AOSP version. dialer... i can keep going on and on... the AOSP versions of many stock apps are still playing catch-up to some OEM versions both in features and performance.
I've used Cyanogenmod stock e-mail and browser apps vs. the shit that Samsung makes, and there is no contest, the stock ones are miles better and they don't share your information with Samsung. All these asian copyright infringement companies should just stick to making hardware and leave the software to the big boys.

I owned an iPhone probably before you even owned a cell phone.
What does this even mean? My first smartphone was a Nokia 3650. My first cell phone is some sprint phone from year 2000.

If you wanted a power button on top, why didn't you buy an HTC One?
Honestly I didn't know :) But I also looked at the HTC One and it was priced higher than the max I would pay for any Android device, no matter what the specs are. I got my S4 for $400. Couldn't find a HTC for that price, any higher and I'll just pay for the superior iOS experience.

You know what happens with Apple products? Messing up the input when trying to do a double click on home because Apple tried to funnel everything to one button beyond its original design. That doesn't happen on Android.
I never mess up double click, it takes you to the task manager that isn't a task manager per Apple PR (lol) and I'm perfectly happy with its functionality. That being said, I am definitely appreciating the menu and back buttons on Android. Wish they weren't extremely touch sensitive on the S4 though.

kehs

Banned
see this thing right here? except for the things that make it shitty, this thing is perfect and not shitty.

Milchjon

I've used Cyanogenmod stock e-mail and browser apps vs. the shit that Samsung makes, and there is no contest, the stock ones are miles better and they don't share your information with Samsung. All these asian copyright infringement companies should just stick to making hardware and leave the software to the big boys.

Why did you even buy a Samsung then? It's not like they're the only Android manufacturer.

panda21

you can probably get swipe2wake for the htc one since the whole bottom of it is capacitive. (swipe across the capacitive buttons on the bottom to wake the phone. i think you can swipe the opposite direction to sleep it too)

i used that on my onex for a while and it was great compared to having to press the pow button on the top

zedge

What does this even mean? My first smartphone was a Nokia 3650. My first cell phone is some sprint phone from year 2000.

Honestly I didn't know :) But I also looked at the HTC One and it was priced higher than the max I would pay for any Android device, no matter what the specs are. I got my S4 for $400. Couldn't find a HTC for that price, any higher and I'll just pay for the superior iOS experience.

I never mess up double click, it takes you to the task manager that isn't a task manager per Apple PR (lol) and I'm perfectly happy with its functionality. That being said, I am definitely appreciating the menu and back buttons on Android. Wish they weren't extremely touch sensitive on the S4 though.

Holy bananas.. why the hell did you even buy a Samsung phone?.. The crap you spew is nauseating.

You're such a shill. :lpl

Do you work for Apple?

bob page

If you keep trying to convince yourself that iOS is superior, you'll never enjoy Android. So just don't bother at this point.

For me, I definitely wouldn't be able to go back to iOS at this point. Android has just too many features that have become essential in my day to day functioning. I still have an iPad to keep up with iOS gaming, which I definitely think is the platform's only core advantage right now.

Bboy AJ

You know, I tried to do this when I switched. I tried to make it as much like an iPhone as possible because I just wanted an iPhone that fixed the problems that Apple is either slow to address or won't address. It's the wrong attitude to go with. There are definitely a lot of things that irk me about Android but there are also a lot that is gained. It's a trade off and the sooner you accept that, the better. Now that I've been using it for almost 5 months as my regular phone, going back to the iPhone trips me up sometimes because there aren't certain things there that you start to get used to in Android.

This is exactly it. You can't try to make one like the other. You have to take the good with the bad. There are pros and cons to each. Embrace it. If you can't accept that, stick to iOS.

nah, the Samsung apps are better. maybe Google will add some of that Samsung goodness in KitKat like they've been doing the past several years with quick toggles, dialer shortcuts, group messaging, and all of the other stuff that was in TouchWiz long before it made it to stock AOSP. then again, i guess you're used to that sort of thing... 'waiting for it to be done right' and all that jazz.

Groof

Seriously, how can anyone go into something different and wholly expect it to be the exact same thing as what they were using before? If I buy a 3DS, I wouldn't be expecting a Vita experience on it. If I buy a Samsung Smart TV I wouldn't expect getting an LG Smart TV experience. Why the hell would anyone expect to get an iOS experience from Android? That's not how things work, if you want an iOS experience just stick to iOS. You'll never get that from Android, and even less Windows Phone.

zedge

nah, the Samsung apps are better. maybe Google will add some of that Samsung goodness in KitKat like they've been doing the past several years with quick toggles, dialer shortcuts, group messaging, and all of the other stuff that was in TouchWiz long before it made it to stock AOSP. then again, i guess you're used to that sort of thing... 'waiting for it to be done right' and all that jazz.

I do prefer the android messaging app to touchwiz. I can actually pinch and zoom on pictures that are sent to me unlike the Samsung one. Seems weird they would take that out.

Cipherr

Holy bananas.. why the hell did you even buy a Samsung phone?..

To purchase an excuse to shit in the thread. Usually only had to see his nonsense in OT posts. Guess he wanted to branch out.

I do prefer the android messaging app to touchwiz. I can actually pinch and zoom on pictures that are sent to me unlike the Samsung one. Seems weird they would take that out.

Groups though..... They really do need that desperately. And just a UI overhaul completely TBH. I like Hangouts UI, but no SMS (or whatever) integration is a dealbreaker. All of my texts don't come in through hangouts, so thats a no go.

Bboy AJ

When do you think the next Google event will be? Should be soon, no? I hope there's a Hangouts update.

To purchase an excuse to shit in the thread. Usually only had to see his nonsense in OT posts. Guess he wanted to branch out.

Groups though..... They really do need that desperately. And just a UI overhaul completely TBH. I like Hangouts UI, but no SMS (or whatever) integration is a dealbreaker. All of my texts don't come in through hangouts, so thats a no go.

Pretty much this. Look at his posting history. Not sure if he's supposed to be a joke poster or if he just gets a kick out of sitting in his basement and thread shitting on forums. Who knows.

gcubed

The top power button is the only thing preventing me from getting the One. The back button is the keyboard hide button isn't it?
Hmm. Shit indeed it is, I thought it was going to go back a page. Fantastic. One less thing to worry about. Such an upgrade from my gnex and still get stock/no carrier bull on upgrades.

Groof

I just noticed that N4 render doesn't have the front facing camera or sensors on it.

Also is that supposed to be the new N5?

reKon

Banned
Why couldnt they have a 2600 mah battery at least. That shit would have been good. 2800 would have been absolutely perfect, especially if the camera delivers

coldfoot

Banned
nah, the Samsung apps are better.
The existence of the S4 Google edition is proof that you are completely wrong. All Samsung knows is copying and building hardware. They do not know much about making software.

maybe Google will add some of that Samsung goodness in KitKat like they've been doing the past several years with quick toggles, dialer shortcuts, group messaging, and all of the other stuff that was in TouchWiz long before it made it to stock AOSP.
None of what you've listed relates to e-mail or browser app, plus iOS jailbreak developers have been doing all that stuff for years. Doing something and doing something right are two different things and there are only 3 companies (Apple, MS, Google) in the world that can do the latter when it comes to OS software, and even they occasionally fuck up.

In any case, I'll return when I've gotten my nano to micro SIM adapter and flashed CM on the S4 and purged any app that has the word Samsung in it, hopefully then the experience will be comparable to iOS, or at least acceptable enough by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom