• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

shitty workarounds, hooray! this is almost as bad as the peeps suggesting dropbox as a replacement for drag 'n drop file management.

Work Arounds? Everything we do relating to a technology that is 50 years old and long past its prime is a workaround. I simply merged everything in the cloud, and it's actually quite elegant.

How many email addresses do you manage? What is your preferred method?

Wait, I thought you were getting a Moto X, Andrex.

Like I said weeks ago, he was championing a phone that he would never, ever get. In fact, I believe Andrex championed Android for years and years before actually ever getting a phone. I think his first Android device was the GNex, which shocked me.

Husker86

One of the last CM updates was messed up and before I read that I updated which caused my GS4 not to boot..I also couldn't get to recovery for some reason.

Anyway, I'm back on a rooted TouchWiz ROM and I feel dirty saying that the Calendar app is much better than stock. It actually shows you details from the month view where the stock Calendar just shows lines...I think I'm staying on TW for a while. Camera app better too!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Like I said weeks ago, he was championing a phone that he would never, ever get. In fact, I believe Andrex championed Android for years and years before actually ever getting a phone. I think his first Android device was the GNex, which shocked me.

I go with whatever the best option is at the time.
JjqPxqZ.png
Wood back Moto X and Moto Maker not being available for months always meant it would be in the crosshairs of the N5, and I've always said as such. The X is still a hot phone though.

Also, GN was my first Android phone, but I got an Android device way before then (ODROID-S in July 2010), and had been messing with the SDK since the day it came out.
JjqPxqZ.png

Nicktendo86

One of the last CM updates was messed up and before I read that I updated which caused my GS4 not to boot..I also couldn't get to recovery for some reason
Yeah it messed up my brothers HTC one, I had to talk him though how to sort it over hangouts lol. MAKE BACKUPS PEOPLE NIGHTLIES ARE NOT STABLE!!!

zedge

Coldfoot, you should get a Windows phone. They're great and the WP OT guys would love to have you over there.
:lol you sure? He's just gonna tell you how he wishes wp was more like ios. :p

At this point I'm convinced he's no more than a troll. Surprised its been put up with this long.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Coldfoot, you should get a Windows phone. They're great and the WP OT guys would love to have you over there.

Shut up! Plus, I think I remember him whining already on a WP thread. You keep him.

edit: my first and only Android phone was a nexus One. I'll probably be back at some point depending on what MS does with the Nokia phone guys and what Apple does for iPhone 6. Pretty happy right now with the 1020.

vdlow

My first device was a Galaxy S. Bought it 6 months after S2 released, it was by far the best deal I could find here in Brazil. Spent three or four months with Gingerbread (and touchwiz) and then installed CM9. A whole new world for me. lol

Bought a S4 in june and now my beloved Galaxy S belongs to my dad. He is loving the device as much as I loved. <3

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You think Android's come a long way since the Nexus One, lemme tell you that the N1 was some Blade Runner shit compared to the m3 SDK.

Hieberrr

I just flashed Slimbean on my OG Galaxy S i9000 (the first Galaxy S). Talk about giving a phone new life -- blazing fast is an understatement.

JoeFu

Banned
First device was a Nexus One. Definitely has come a long way. The original Android Marketplace was ghetto as shit.

It was just a black screen with some text on it I think. I can't even remember how awful it was.

yay found a pic

img86.jpg

I remember the only thing worth downloading was Pac-Man. Had that on the G1 like a boss

Cipherr

Yo where are the OG Android users at? Previous G1 user here. Android has come such a long way.

It really has. I'm hoping with the release of KitKat they give us an inkling of where they are headed with the OS. There has been some incredible progress over the last 2.5 years or so. I would be thrilled if KK points to them continuing to build Android out into GPlay managed apps that come together as a whole.

They have GPlay Services, Google Search (Which includes Google Now), The Keyboard, Google Play Store, Google Maps/Music/Voice, Remote Location/Wipe, and all the other stuff unhinged from the primary update system. They can just push those updates straight from the store, carriers be damned. I hope 4.4 takes a gigantic leap forward in that, bringing out the Launcher and putting it on the store, and more GPServices type apps (Maybe expand the Google Settings App they already pushed to phones).

Would be incredible to be able to push massive UI updates, app updates, new apps, and whatnot all completely separate from a point release, bypassing carriers and OEM's completely. That would leave point releases for nothing but humongous API changes (perhaps) and bug fixes. Everything consumer facing would be taken care of.

Husker86

Yeah it messed up my brothers HTC one, I had to talk him though how to sort it over hangouts lol. MAKE BACKUPS PEOPLE NIGHTLIES ARE NOT STABLE!!!

But I couldn't even get into Recovery to do anything, it would say booting recovery and then bootloop. Either way, at least a Kies restore worked. If I ever get back to CM I will learn not to blindly update with CyanDelta and read peoples' experiences before updating!

Yo where are the OG Android users at? Previous G1 user here. Android has come such a long way.

Sprint HTC Hero was my first. Android 1.6 goodness. Sense skin was necessary back then and was actually pretty sweet!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think my first Android device was a Dell Streak

>_>

I was SOOOOO hyped for that. Man, the cherry red? I had never seen a better tablet.

PUhRVS5.jpg

Shame Android for tablets didn't exist then, it really could have been a great little N7 precursor.

What also killed it for me is it leaked in like June 2009 but didn't get released until like a year later. All my hype was dead by then.

The existence of the S4 Google edition is proof that you are completely wrong. All Samsung knows is copying and building hardware. They do not know much about making software.

None of what you've listed relates to e-mail or browser app, plus iOS jailbreak developers have been doing all that stuff for years. Doing something and doing something right are two different things and there are only 3 companies (Apple, MS, Google) in the world that can do the latter when it comes to OS software, and even they occasionally fuck up.

In any case, I'll return when I've gotten my nano to micro SIM adapter and flashed CM on the S4 and purged any app that has the word Samsung in it, hopefully then the experience will be comparable to iOS, or at least acceptable enough by then.
i dunno, you might have to backport CM7 to be comparable to iOS.

coldfoot

Banned
Well, you guys are getting your wish. It seems like I've made a mistake and did not research thoroughly. While my rom is rootable, it seems like the bootloader still hasn't been unlocked so I can't flash CM on it. I refuse to use any software with Samsung in it, so on sale it goes and I'm going back to my superior ux, just like the majority of Americans are doing, 4" small screen and all.

I don't blame Android, I feel it has great potential, only Google has to lock it down like iOS and WP are doing and every Android device ever made should be AOSP. Carriers/manufacturers don't like this? Fuck them, what are they gonna do, make their own OS? LOL. Only then it has a fighting chance to be as convenient or easy as iOS.

I would have considered WP, but I need my apps, and not going to buy a phone that's without an official Dropbox client. I don't trust third parties and anything they make should be run as sandboxed as possible.

Anyway, don't worry I'll be able to sell my S4, even at a small profit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was SOOOOO hyped for that. Man, the cherry red? I had never seen a better tablet.

PUhRVS5.jpg

Shame Android for tablets didn't exist then, it really could have been a great little N7 precursor.

What also killed it for me is it leaked in like June 2009 but didn't get released until like a year later. All my hype was dead by then.

Shieeeettt... that thing has basically the same screen size as the GS4 which is the go to phone now. LOL

@coldfoot - You should just get an iPhone my dude. Or try Windows Phone. Or get some other phone not made by Samsung if you still wanna try android out.
Just get an iPhone

Also, the AOSP browser shits on everything. Nothing comes close. Quick controls for life. Speaking of QC, did Samsung remove them from their browser? I can't seem to find the option to enable them. If they did remove them, that immediately invalidates anyone saying that browser is better than the AOSP one.

this_guy

Well, you guys are getting your wish. It seems like I've made a mistake and did not research thoroughly. While my rom is rootable, it seems like the bootloader still hasn't been unlocked so I can't flash CM on it. I refuse to use any software with Samsung in it, so on sale it goes and I'm going back to my superior ux, just like the majority of Americans are doing, 4" small screen and all.

I don't blame Android, I feel it has great potential, only Google has to lock it down like iOS and WP are doing and every Android device ever made should be AOSP. Carriers/manufacturers don't like this? Fuck them, what are they gonna do, make their own OS? LOL. Only then it has a fighting chance to be as convenient or easy as iOS.

Why did you buy a Samsung in the first place? You came in closed minded and spoke like Samsung raped your mother. Its OK to prefer another smartphone OS, it really is.

I would have considered WP, but I need my apps, and not going to buy a phone that's without an official Dropbox client. I don't trust third parties and anything they make should be run as sandboxed as possible.

You should read that thread you quoted. If you didn't just read the op you'd see it's not exactly what it looks like.

But go back to ios. We'll be sitting here with our better phones laughing at you from our golden thrones of awesomeness.

c'mon son. you didn't even try. you went in with a xenophobic 'cant trust dem asians!' attitude and didn't even give touchwiz a chance.

zedge

Great potential? Android pretty much owns the mobile OS market world wide.

LOL.. good riddance.

coldfoot

Banned
c'mon son. you didn't even try. you went in with a xenophobic 'cant trust dem asians!' attitude and didn't even give touchwiz a chance.
If it's not made by a respectable software company (Apple, MS, Google), I won't give it a chance. There are 9 status icons on the S4 vs. 3 on my iPhone. It's ridiculous.

Why not just get a Google Play Edition or Nexus phone?
Not available on Verizon, otherwise I'd have gotten a Nexus instead of the S4.

zedge

Looks like I am the recipient of one of cold foots pms..

Classy dude. I'm sure your mom is proud.

p.s. Get help

Should have gone with an HTC One. It's clean, probably the best phone to transition from iOS, unlocked bootloader, and none of that Samsung stuff you seem to hate.

coldfoot

Banned
Should have gone with an HTC One. It's clean, probably the best phone to transition from iOS, unlocked bootloader, and none of that Samsung stuff you seem to hate.
It even has the power button on top like it should :)
I just didn't like the fact that it's a metal back and the screen size I wanted at least 5", I hate that on the iPhone, too easy to damage and you have to keep it in a case. With the S4, just get a new backplate and you're good to go LOL.

RM8

I'm so loving my new phone (Xperia SP). Since it's a mid-range phone I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be a big jump from my Xperia P, but it is. So much faster, snappier, stable and awesome. Now, and I know this is not a popular opinion, the 4.6-inch screen is a bit too big for me. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm really a guy of smaller gadgets and size is the only "downgrade" I'm getting from this. Typing feels nicer on a 4-inch to me, and it's also more comfortable for some games. I'm excited for next year's Xperia phones! I want something like my SP but on a smaller package.

I'm still pissed off about Asphalt 8, though :mad: And guess what? Apparently other Xperia SP phones can buy/play it! I was unlucky to get a C5302 instead of a C5303 - the only difference is that mine doesn't support 4G. Guess what, my Xperia P didn't either and I bought Asphalt 8 on it. Oh Gameloft.

Had to use my insurance to get another gs3 from Sprint. I think I messed up my partition table or something like that on my old phone, even though it just decided to brick itself when I didn't even do anything. Feelsbadman
and I can't hit the post button in the corner of chrome beta on my gs3, using Firefox. Bad news all around.

coldfoot

Banned
'respectable' aka American...
Well, we're a country that respects IP rights more than most others, so the best software companies in the world are in America, it's not really a surprise. I won't use software from a company that has a "Beauty Face" app preinstalled on their phones, Engrish doesn't pass as English in the software world.

DarkFlow

Banned
Had to use my insurance to get another gs3 from Sprint. I think I messed up my partition table or something like that on my old phone, even though it just decided to brick itself when I didn't even do anything. Feelsbadman
and I can't hit the post button in the corner of chrome beta on my gs3, using Firefox. Bad news all around.
I doubt you bricked it, it's almost impossible to brick a phone now days. Did you try using ADB to reformat then push over a Rom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom