• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Please. Please, no more of these posts. N4 was just as top of the line when it came out for $300 off contract.

All the nexus threads go the same, and they all end up with "WTF $399 for this thing?!" right next to "AMAZING $399 for this thing!"

vivftp

Sony Mobile Canada has at least hinted that Z1 news should come by the end of the month via Facebook:

"We have heard all of your enthusiastic questions and comments about Xperia Z1, and we are just as excited as you are for this new device. At this time, we do not have any Canadian news about the device that we can share BUT we promise that by the end of September we will be able to answer more of your questions. Until then we appreciate your patience and thank you all for being big fans of Xperia Z1. Thanks!"

REALLY hoping for an October launch and hope it comes to Rogers. I need to replace my dying x10a ASAP and I'd love to use my upgrade option for this. Will be very sad if they finally break the news and say it isn't coming until November or later :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All the nexus threads go the same, and they all end up with "WTF $399 for this thing?!" right next to "AMAZING $399 for this thing!"
Like I said when it was released, the most impressive factor of the Nexus 4 was the price. I mean, it's so great that people forget something like it, a cheap, top of the line phone, even existed. It happened and yet people are still in denial. Crazy.

Laekon

So torn on what to do about replacing my Galaxy Nexus on the T-Mobile $30 plan. It's getting harder to put up with the crappy camera and horrible signal at my home and office. The battery life isn't great either. Except for the finger print collecting back and a few software things I really like the G2. The screen, camera, and battery life are all great. I just don't know if I can go back to AT&T and $90 a month. Anyone have some better ideas? If you buy the G2 straight from AT&T could it used on Straight Talk or AIO? Has anyone used AIO in SoCal?

I might wait for the new Nexus but the battery being so much smaller than the G2 worries me. I also think the camera will end up worse some how.

While looking at the G2 today I most say I was really impressed with the Moto X. It feels really good in the hand and the screen was sharper than I thought it would be. If the camera wasn't so hit or miss it would be a lot tougher choice.

Threi

notag
Like I said when it was released, the most impressive factor of the Nexus 4 was the price. I mean, it's so great that people forget something like it, a cheap, top of the line phone, even existed. It happened and yet people are still in denial. Crazy.
Hell, people glossed over the fact that Google was selling the Nexus 4 for $199/$249 a week ago...

In this very thread there are recommendations for similarly-specced phones on-contract over it.

tzare

i hope those specs are true for n5, i'd wish a bigger battery but that one isn't bad either.

I think it will be 350 for 16gb and no 8Gb this time.

tino

Banned
low cost phone is not a big deal in the US. If you getting a contract, its very easy to find a 99 or lower deal for S4/one/etc. Plus the low cost won't reflect on the new contract price with the N5. In theory Tmo should give you 50 bux for signing up 2 years with a N5, but they will charge you 150/199 instead.

DXPett1

Groof

I have a feeling even though it's a 13mp camera sensor it'll still take shite pictures, just like the N4.
Otherwise it's looking to become quite the beast of a phone, that N5.

I have a feeling even though it's a 13mp camera sensor it'll still take shite pictures, just like the N4.
Otherwise it's looking to become quite the beast of a phone, that N5.

it's just weird how almost everybody including LG has been able to improve their camera image processing software EXCEPT google (and motorola).

Nicktendo86

It really is madness, especially when people are happy to plonk down $700 for an iPhone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
bxi1AN8.png

Final battery update - I didn't charge it at all yesterday
was drinking
and it lasted all throughout the night. Battery is a beast

IceCold

If you want a shitty display you should check out the S4.

Edit- Just for fun, humor me as on why it's shitty. Please don't use color as an excuse as it can be easily calibrated.

The only shitty thing about it to me is that the digitilizer is visible.

Laekon

So torn on what to do about replacing my Galaxy Nexus on the T-Mobile $30 plan. It's getting harder to put up with the crappy camera and horrible signal at my home and office. The battery life isn't great either. Except for the finger print collecting back and a few software things I really like the G2. The screen, camera, and battery life are all great. I just don't know if I can go back to AT&T and $90 a month. Anyone have some better ideas? If you buy the G2 straight from AT&T could it used on Straight Talk or AIO? Has anyone used AIO in SoCal?

I might wait for the new Nexus but the battery being so much smaller than the G2 worries me. I also think the camera will end up worse some how.

While looking at the G2 today I most say I was really impressed with the Moto X. It feels really good in the hand and the screen was sharper than I thought it would be. If the camera wasn't so hit or miss it would be a lot tougher choice.

Does anyone know if the AT&T G2 would work with Straight Talk right away?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Michael Fisher said in his G2 vs One video that the G2's camera trumps the One in every single way.

Its not hard to beat the One camera. It basically only performs above average in low light, and its not even the best in that respect. The gs4 and iPhone cameras are better, and of course Nokia high end phones. I'm not as familiar with the Sony cameras, but those are probably better as well.

Lines up with Ausdroid rumour of Oct14 event and release. http://ausdroid.net/2013/09/13/rumour-android-4-4-and-nexus-5-to-be-announced-october-14th/

Also KitKat has been spotted running on the Nexus S??? Wow. Just imagine if the first Galaxy S received 4.4

When I read the KitKat teaser on the official site about making it available to everyone, I immediately thought that they were reworking how updates work, making it similar to Apple where you can just download the update directly from Google rather than waiting for OTA's.

What a lovely dream.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When I read the KitKat teaser on the official site about making it available to everyone, I immediately thought that they were reworking how updates work, making it similar to Apple where you can just download the update directly from Google rather than waiting for OTA's.

What a lovely dream.

But isn't that the case already? At least, for the Nexus line.

That wouldn't work with other phoes because of crap like TouchWiz.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

What a lovely dream.

I don't care about that because it already exists. If people do care about instant updates, then they should get a Nexus. I hope Kit Kat is more of a performance optimization update. Even slow, crap phones would get a huge boost. That bodes well for older models, which my Nexus 4 will grow to be.

What a lovely dream.
I haven't read the teaser, but Kit Kat will probably be very centered around the fact that Google Play Services has super duper permissions, and Google is working on decentralizing the "Google Experience" so they can push it to more devices.

The only thing is that users have to actively choose to use Google Keyboard, for example, than Samsung's keyboard.

kehs

Banned
I can't wait until Google accidentally uploads some kind of registered or trademarked portion of the kitkat brand to AOSP and a shitstorm with nestle starts over infringement ala oracle.

-PXG-

If it is, it'll have like 8GB of space which will make it useless for a lot of people.

For me, it would be a hassle, but for people who don't store music, movies or robust games, it's not that big of a deal. Plus cloud storage has become more of a thing now. I have started using Google Drive more than ever.

This is what Google should be pushing more, especially in brick and moto establishments.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If we can get a few more blog articles posted this week I'll make a post on regular GAF to pimp the blog out and get traffic. I think we need a few more articles though.

For me, it would be a hassle, but for people who don't store music, movies or robust games, it's not that big of a deal. Plus cloud storage has become more of a thing now. I have started using Google Drive more than ever.

This is what Google should be pushing more, especially in brick and moto establishments.

Ya, but Google Drive is only 15 gigs before you have to pay for it and that goes across everything, e-mail, documents, etc.

But isn't that the case already? At least, for the Nexus line.

That wouldn't work with other phoes because of crap like TouchWiz.

I don't care about that because it already exists. If people do care about instant updates, then they should get a Nexus. I hope Kit Kat is more of a performance optimization update. Even slow, crap phones would get a huge boost. That bodes well for older models, which my Nexus 4 will grow to be.

No, it doesn't exist. I don't mean like the Nexus line where they slowly roll it out over weeks. I mean, like the old pre-Jellybean rumor that said Google would find a way to give people the ability to make any phone stock.

In this dream world, Google releases a new version of Android, places the update file immediately on the Play store, and you can update the phone, any new phone even TouchWiz/Sense ones, directly to the latest version. You can make any phone stock Android, or wait for the carrier updates to Touchwiz/Sense/etc.

This would require a full overhaul of how Android/installations work now, and even then, compatibility would probably be limited to newer processors and such.

Still, it would solve the fragmentation "issue" in one foul swoop, and as the KitKat teaser says, bring the latest Android to more people.

kehs

Banned
If we can get a few more blog articles posted this week I'll make a post on regular GAF to pimp the blog out and get traffic. I think we need a few more articles though.

Might wanna pm a mod first, they're sometimes a little weird about self promoting stuff.

VoxPop

No, it doesn't exist. I don't mean like the Nexus line where they slowly roll it out over weeks. I mean, like the old pre-Jellybean rumor that said Google would find a way to give people the ability to make any phone stock.

In this dream world, Google releases a new version of Android, places the update file immediately on the Play store, and you can update the phone, any new phone even TouchWiz/Sense ones, directly to the latest version. You can make any phone stock Android, or wait for the carrier updates to Touchwiz/Sense/etc.

This would require a full overhaul of how Android/installations work now, and even then, compatibility would probably be limited to newer processors and such.

Still, it would solve the fragmentation "issue" in one foul swoop, and as the KitKat teaser says, bring the latest Android to more people.

There's really no point when about 90% of Android users don't even know what Stock Android is. It would be a great perk for power users but almost everyone I know with a Galaxy thinks TouchWiz IS Android.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I might have a new post up on the blog. :p

androidprism.wordpress.com

Now I just need the rest of you to post some stuff! :p

kehs

Banned
I used the espire launcher for a little actually, like last year.

It's not that bad. The widget implementation was balls, but otherwise I can understand the desire of having everything splayed out at once.

Two phone apps, two text messaging apps, and two contacts apps in the home screen. Everything that is great and horrible about android in one screenshot.

Wouldn't that happen on iOS if you download handcent, and a contact app and were lazy about it too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom