• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright Android GAF due to some talking in hangouts I've decided to do a Friday question asking session.

Today's question if you choose to participate is How Old Are You?

I'm 31 (I'll be 32 by the end of the year)

Groof

Alright Android GAF due to some talking in hangouts I've decided to do a Friday question asking session.

I refuse to answer this question again!

21, will be 22 by the start of next month.

I've always wondered, what do you even do with the data you collect in here? You had a lot of surveys, I'm surprised you never asked about the age.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've always wondered, what do you even do with the data you collect in here? You had a lot of surveys, I'm surprised you never asked about the age.

Nothing which is funny cause I guess I do ask a lot of survey like questions. Topics just arise which make me then want to ask said question such as the age thing which came up in our Google Hangout.

VoxPop

Somehow someone has managed to make the ugly iOS 7 icons even worse with its Androidification.

It's definitely the worst part about iOS 7 despite everything else in the UI being beautiful.

Never understood the fascination of launchers when everything aside from the homescreen stays hideous.

I wish they made beautiful customizable Custom ROMs.

Groof

Somehow someone has managed to make the ugly iOS 7 icons even worse with its Androidification.

It's definitely the worst part about iOS 7 despite everything else in the UI being beautiful.

Never understood the fascination of launchers when everything aside from the homescreen stays hideous.

I wish they made beautiful customizable Custom ROMs.

You can install 3rd party themes on most custom ROMs these days.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I'm 29, will be 30 on the 30th of September!

Groof

Oh sweet. Didn't know about this. Could you lead me in the right direction?

Currently on ARHD 20.2

Don't know about that specific ROM, but I think the ROM itself has to support the AOKP theme engine. If it does, you can just download CM themes from the Play Store and you'll more than likely have a Theme option in your settings menu.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Verizon G2 Is Configured To Show Root Status In The About Phone Menu, Make It Easier To Void Your Warranty

nexusae0_g2-root-check_thumb.png

VERIZON

I'm switching from Verizon (loyal customer, unlimited granfathered plan) to T-Mobile and going on that web-exclusive only $30/month prepaid plan. Only 100 min talk time, but you can turn the phone into a VoIP and make/receive calls using data. Unlimited text and data, throttled after 5GB. First 5GB gives you LTE though.

The one major difference between prepaid and postpaid however, is that on prepaid plan, you will not be able to get data roaming as you would on postpaid plan. There are no data roaming charges on T-Mobile.

For all those switching from Verizon to other carriers, let us know how it goes. I rely on my connection for work so not brave enough to make the switch yet. Good luck.

gcubed

over 30% of phone sales in US are prepaid now!

let me re-phrase. People dont buy prepaid phones from a different store then they are getting their pre-paid service from.

For all those switching from Verizon to other carriers, let us know how it goes. I rely on my connection for work so not brave enough to make the switch yet. Good luck.

i moved to the bay area, i switched back to ATT (well, my company picks up the bill) and my wife is soon moving to AiO (once the Nexus 5 hits). I haven't noticed a difference with ATT... but i mostly stay between SF and SJ

Cipherr

Meh, Bootloader unlocking IMO absolutely should void your warranty. If I want to tinker with my shit, let me, at the expense of not having it covered if I fuck it up.

My only issue is when I'm not allowed to trade my warranty for the freedom to do whatever I want with my hardware. I'm not out to screw anyone over by unlocking my phone, busting it, then expecting the manufacturer to cover the costs of my screwups. That's not their fault its mine. I don't think I'm entitled to fuck up flashing a ROM then having the carrier or OEM foot the bill for that.

Meh, Bootloader unlocking IMO absolutely should void your warranty. If I want to tinker with my shit, let me, at the expense of not having it covered if I fuck it up.

My only issue is when I'm not allowed to trade my warranty for the freedom to do whatever I want with my hardware. I'm not out to screw anyone over by unlocking my phone, busting it, then expecting the manufacturer to cover the costs of my screwups. That's not their fault its mine. I don't think I'm entitled to fuck up flashing a ROM then having the carrier or OEM foot the bill for that.

why should bootloader unlocking get them out of repairing faulty headphone jacks, charge ports, defective panrels, batteries, etc, especially now with sealed batteries on so many handsets...

plus that detects ROOT, not even bootloader unlocking!

kehs

Banned

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
In their defense, it looks like they invented the only fingerprint scanner someone might actually want to use on a phone.

And their touchscreen hardware, combined with iOS1 was better than anything anyone else was using for phones. I don't even use an iPhone anymore, but when I bought the iPhone 3G, it WAS magical.

tehbible

So regarding the Nexus 5 (LG-D820)

4PNMce1.jpg

Earlier I wrote in this thread that the Nexus 5 won't support Verizon Wireless, but I think I might be wrong about that.

Verizon is starting to roll out AWS (which is on LTE band 4), and the LG-D820 just so happens to support that band.

Based on this FCC communique (i felt like saying communique), the LG-D820 will support CDMA voice calls. Additionally, documents from the FCC show tests done on CDMA2000, which is what is used for Verizon as well as Sprint.

In essence, the Nexus 5 is fully capable of being on Verizon Wireless, as long as your neighborhood has the new AWS spectrum (1700Mhz) that Verizon has been rolling out since the summer. Verizon also recently purchased AWS spectrum from AT&T which included western cities (Los Angeles, Fresno, Calif., Phoenix, and Portland).

Link for thoughts from Droid-Life

So regarding the Nexus 5 (LG-D820)

4PNMce1.jpg

Earlier I wrote in this thread that the Nexus 5 won't support Verizon Wireless, but I think I might be wrong about that.

Verizon is starting to roll out AWS (which is on LTE band 4), and the LG-D820 just so happens to support that band.

Based on this FCC communique (i felt like saying communique), the LG-D820 will support CDMA voice calls. Additionally, documents from the FCC show tests done on CDMA2000, which is what is used for Verizon as well as Sprint.

In essence, the Nexus 5 is fully capable of being on Verizon Wireless, as long as your neighborhood has the new AWS spectrum (1700Mhz) that Verizon has been rolling out since the summer. Verizon also recently purchased AWS spectrum from AT&T which included western cities (Los Angeles, Fresno, Calif., Phoenix, and Portland).

Link for thoughts from Droid-Life

blogger grasping at straws. a Verizon phone with no band 13 LTE would be a joke. it makes no sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom