• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

The Moto X is going to be like a bastard child at Moto according to the dude, he said they aren't proud of it, they wanted to make an iPhone competitor and ended up with a ZTE/Huawei competitor.

As a ZTE/Huawei competitor, now I get why PCTX was so excited. This phone will crush any ZTE/Huawei phone out there when it hits the market! Right?

gcubed

Moto as a previous entity should have little say in the direction of the new company considering they shat the bed with any recognition they had. When I'm thinking premium iPhone competitor, Motorola does not enter the conversation anymore.

That picture is meme worthy. Someone do it

Matugi

I think the camera bump on the Moto X is playing tricks on our eyes making it look thicker than it actually is. Doesn't look half as thick in the pics above.

Yeah, looks like a slick little phone and it looks like it could be 4.5"

Moto as a previous entity should have little say in the direction of the new company considering they shat the bed with any recognition they had. When I'm thinking premium iPhone competitor, Motorola does not enter the conversation anymore.

That picture is meme worthy. Someone do it

I don't think that's completely fair. I think part of the problem is that they had basically zero presence outside of the US and even in the US they were limited to VZW which meant bastardised software and shitty DROID RAZR AWESOME WIN X branding which was shit.

As a device, the RAZR i was pretty decent, but they needed to be on GSM networks and release phones without the bastardise VZW software experience.

Basically, they bet on VZW while AT&T and GSM networks in Europe/Asia/Japan destroyed CDMA phones in terms of shipments. It was short sighted thinking that allowed such a deal to be signed, essentially making Moto a VZW sub-brand with the DROID shit, but there was nothing they could do about that once the deal was done. Hardware wise I don't think they did a bad job though.

Groof

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/163/o5j1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/594/yyg3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/818/ar8s.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That camera lens is pretty damn big. Any word on the MP?

gcubed

The top and bottom pic look like two different phones.

You're high.

I don't think that's completely fair. I think part of the problem is that they had basically zero presence outside of the US and even in the US they were limited to VZW which meant bastardised software and shitty DROID RAZR AWESOME WIN X branding which was shit.

As a device, the RAZR i was pretty decent, but they needed to be on GSM networks and release phones without the bastardise VZW software experience.

Basically, they bet on VZW while AT&T and GSM networks in Europe/Asia/Japan destroyed CDMA phones in terms of shipments. It was short sighted thinking that allowed such a deal to be signed, essentially making Moto a VZW sub-brand with the DROID shit, but there was nothing they could do about that once the deal was done. Hardware wise I don't think they did a bad job though.

The only redeeming device they made in the last few years was the RAZR I / M and it was a phone that Google was a driving force behind. RAZR phone were behind on camera and screen tech releasing shit qhd when everyone was at 720 and every screen was sub par. Camera was terrible, software was terrible, the kevlar backed sharp cornered octogons were terrible. They went with a big battery but instead of making that their thing they upsold for $100, if they felt like it.

What you said about gsm and Verizon was true also. They were a terribly run company and should work to get some modicum of respect back before they deem themselves an iPhone caliber phone maker

Zeppu

You're high.

tumblr_lxgihkdER91qcozlpo2_250.gif

Matugi

It looks really nice there but if all the rumors are true it had no redeeming features

What? The rumors say that the redeeming qualities ARE the features (clear pixel camera, always on feature for Google Now, buttloads of sensors, close to stock [this is a biggie for us Verizon customers], etc.)

What? The rumors say that the redeeming qualities ARE the features (clear pixel camera, always on feature for Google Now, buttloads of sensors, close to stock [this is a biggie for us Verizon customers], etc.)

Err, who says VZW consumers are going to get the non-bastardised version. You guys will get the DROID MOTO WIN AWESOME EPIC X MAXX with added VZW "features".

SimleuqiR

Moto-X-2.jpg

Hello X Moto

In the photos, Schmidt is using a Moto X with a white back, which is obviously a good choice for one of the customizable backs of the phone. The device looks to have a rounded back with the headphone jack placed on the top of the phone.

Moto-X-6.jpg

He looks so happy! But that's probably because he's no longer using a Blackberry.

Edit: on this was posted already? Well, my Blackberry comment still stands.

tzare

anyone having this issue with chrome?
Top of page gets cut, and only fixed by rotating device and then works. happening really often now, see the same page with and without the issue. It also alters touch points on screen, I touch one thread for but example and, as if the image was placed higher but not the touch screen, opens the link above.

btw on a note 8

XAMA7W0.png
0l3mjC4.png

modulaire

I don't get the strategy at Moto for their "a Google company" phones.

Why not introduce an iPhone/S4/etc competitor FIRST to capture people's attention, and then roll out the cheaper Nexus 4-style phones for the masses.

Why not introduce an iPhone/S4/etc competitor FIRST to capture people's attention, and then roll out the cheaper Nexus 4-style phones for the masses.

Because Google's aim is to commoditise Android. So everyone can get decent level hardware for a small amount of money. That way their software is out there and people have more money to spend on services and apps rather than expensive hardware.

kehs

Banned

If they did that, they wouldn't have a phone ready until next year.

gcubed

Because Google's aim is to commoditise Android. So everyone can get decent level hardware for a small amount of money. That way their software is out there and people have more money to spend on services and apps rather than expensive hardware.

moreso, google's aim is to remove carriers/carrier contracts from the equation. A low cost off contract phone (that became successful) would wildly change the US landscape

moreso, google's aim is to remove carriers/carrier contracts from the equation. A low cost off contract phone (that became successful) would wildly change the US landscape

Unlikely because there are no properly competitive BYOD contracts in the US, it's almost like a cartel that none of the big players wants to offer something to change the current rip-off landscape in the US.

I think T-Mobile might make it happen, but other than that it will be a long road to a European style market where the majority of devices are sold offline and people take up SIM-only contracts for €10-20 per month.

If they did that, they wouldn't have a phone ready until next year.

I doubt that they would be procuring most things from others anyway.

I don't really know why Google are going this route but I can imagine it has something akin to the way the Nexus 7 was a run away success a good tablet at an excellent price. I am guessing they feel they can introduce a successful device at the mid tier of the spectrum that delivers on all fronts kind of how WP is but with a great price. If Motorola can deliver an innovative camera with a stack of never before seen functionality from the rumoured sensor integration for $300 - $400 off contract they might well clean up.

zomgbbqftw said:
Unlikely because there are no properly competitive BYOD contracts in the US, it's almost like a cartel that none of the big players wants to offer something to change the current rip-off landscape in the US.

I think T-Mobile might make it happen, but other than that it will be a long road to a European style market where the majority of devices are sold offline and people take up SIM-only contracts for €10-20 per month.

I can assure you the majority of devices are not sold offline in Europe the vast majority of people I know (anecdotal sure) have contracts. Its just cos of the homogeneity of network technology and a more involved regulator that at least in the UK we see a cap on the amount of customer exploitation.

kehs

Banned
I doubt that they would be procuring most things from others anyway.

I don't really know why Google are going this route but I can imagine it has something akin to the way the Nexus 7 was a run away success a good tablet at an excellent price. I am guessing they feel they can introduce a successful device at the mid tier of the spectrum that delivers on all fronts kind of how WP is but with a great price. If Motorola can deliver an innovative camera with a stack of never before seen functionality from the rumoured sensor integration for $300 - $400 off contract they might well clean up.

The problem isn't really putting a device together (nexus lines proves that). It's getting all the carriers onboard, and timing releases together. It's like a 6 month process just to get a carrier to approve/test the phone after the hardware is done.

gcubed

ATT Go Phone is $60 for unlimited text/talk/2gb LTE, thats half the price of normal ATT. T-Mobile has a few around, but they have a much less built out infrastructure. They aren't quite there compared to europe, no, but they have recently improved. It doesn't help that half the carriers use shitty CDMA

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The only way I think the Moto X can appeal is if the price is ridiculously low. If I remember the leaked specs from a few months ago, it's about on par with my Galaxy Nexus. So what price would make this thing a success worth investing 500million in advertising into?

HawkeyeIC

The only way I think the Moto X can appeal is if the price is ridiculously low. If I remember the leaked specs from a few months ago, it's about on par with my Galaxy Nexus. So what price would make this thing a success worth investing 500million in advertising into?

There's got to be something we're missing here. Otherwise Google is dumber than I thought they were (and they're pretty dumb with Android/phones a lot of the time).

gcubed

lets not get crazy here... its miles ahead of the galaxy nexus. MILES

yyzjohn

Banned
Thing I don't get about the Moto X I thought it was supposed to compete with other flagship phones according to the Motorola dude comments a while back and then rumors came out its a "mid range" device? Why wouldnt they go with the snapdragon 800 chip to truly make it a top end phone?

I think it looks great.

I don't mind the 720p or 10MP camera but it really should have been an S600. Battery better be bigger than 2100 mAh too.

Groof

It actually looks really good from those shots. Real shame about the specs though.
Maybe they'll do an X MAXX down the line or something with more competitive internals.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The fabric, wood, and ceramic backplate options rumor just won't die

The potential customization options for the Motorola Moto X are starting to grow again as rumors take over. We all know that when there is too much time between releases of actual information, rumors start to get more and more absurd, so we're not too sure how much stock to put into this one. But, it may be that the Moto X will offer various materials for the backplate, including wood, fabric, and ceramic.

We have been reporting for a while now that there would be a large selection of colors available for the Moto X, and recent reports on the customization options have confirmed our earlier reports while also adding in the possibility of laser engraving options for the backplate. Now, Android and Me founder Taylor Wimberly is claiming that while plastic is the default option for the backplate, there will be other choices.

According to Wimberly, wooden backplates will also be available when the device launches, which Wimberly says will be August 23rd. After the launch, other options for metals, ceramics, and fabrics will also supposedly become available. Wimberly also says that AT&T will be getting some sort of exclusive regarding the device, but he doesn't know what that is.

While various materials would certainly add to the customization options, we're still in the camp of believe-it-when-we-see-it on this one. That said, a fleece backplate for the winter might not be so bad

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto-X-may-offer-fabric-wood-and-ceramic-backplate-options_id45258

warning: android and me

tino

Banned

If google can't get the phone into carriers hands (by carriers i mean the big 2 not the other two sidekicks), there is no amount of advertisement google can spend to sell the phone.

edit: lol wooden backplates lol, captain, we have full steampunk ahead.

kehs

Banned
If they're removable, why not?

Something like tweed, or twill. Ceramics like the One X texture.

Doesn't sound all that crazy considering all the types of accessories people sell anyways. The "wood" will probably be one of those vinyl based overlays. Those things can get pretty realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom