• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I take back what I said about T-Mobile. They're lying sons of bitches. I specifically checked the area my parents lived for coverage and it showed full 2G/voice coverage and "adequate" 3G coverage. I bring the phones to them today and neither are able to connect to the network. It's not the sim or radio -- they both worked fine in the city I live in. But in the supposedly "fully covered" area my parents are in, T-Mobile doesn't even show up in the network search. ATT does, however.

Fuck you T-Mobile. I get that puffing up your coverage makes it looks like your dick isn't as tiny compared to the heavy swingers Verizon and ATT, but when you whip it out don't expect me to not laugh.

Switching these phones to ATT as soon as I can, thank god for the N4 and no contracts.

I take back what I said about T-Mobile. They're lying sons of bitches. I specifically checked the area my parents lived for coverage and it showed full 2G/voice coverage and "adequate" 3G coverage. I bring the phones to them today and neither are able to connect to the network. It's not the sim or radio -- they both worked fine in the city I live in. But in the supposedly "fully covered" area my parents are in, T-Mobile doesn't even show up in the network search. ATT does, however.

Fuck you T-Mobile. I get that puffing up your coverage makes it looks like your dick isn't as tiny compared to the heavy swingers Verizon and ATT, but when you whip it out don't expect me to not laugh.

Switching these phones to ATT as soon as I can, thank god for the N4 and no contracts.
even if you had a contract, you could cancel for a full refund if you weren't getting service in an area claimed on their map.

tehbible

yeah but they already have Band 13 rolled out. i can't even think of a proper word to accurately convey how dumb it would be for Verizon in 2013 to allow a device that has *only* Band 4 LTE.

i don't think they're going to be pushing to sell this device when they already have the Moto X in their lineup. I'm just saying that the phone will be compatible on their network.

The phone doesn't just have Band 4 LTE neither btw, I only mentioned Band 4 LTE because that's what Verizon will support in the near future.

The complete list of LTE band support is here

http://i.imgur.com/msJrBqz.png

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. If it's to support Verizon Wireless, why didn't they just add in band 13 as well.

Gvaz

Banned
Does anyone use the PACMAN custom rom? How do you disable the PIE?

I fucking hate gesture based UI interfaces, it gets in the way of normal usability for me.

New Sony Smart Stick apparently going to be unveiled on Sunday. Google TV functionality into a dongle

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/13/sony-bravia-smart-stick-mhl-google-tv/

sony_bravia_smart_stick_remote.jpg

Sony need to fire all their designers, of everything they ever make.

That's just ugly as hell. Looks like something from the 80s.

gcubed

i don't think they're going to be pushing to sell this device when they already have the Moto X in their lineup. I'm just saying that the phone will be compatible on their network.

The phone doesn't just have Band 4 LTE neither btw, I only mentioned Band 4 LTE because that's what Verizon will support in the near future.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. If it's to support Verizon Wireless, why didn't they just add in band 13 as well.

Verizon controls what's on the network. Google will not offer the phone to Verizon to have it on the network.

The phone won't be in Verizon. Zero chance. Not even a remote chance

I though the Z1 screen was pretty good?

Seems like you have to put up with panel lottery again. Some panels seem to look amazing while others not so much.

For instance, some photos show some really, really, really awful screens. GSMArena, however, got one with 1500:1 contrast ratio and really solid black depth for a LCD panel (that shit is better than the HTC One for instance). Viewing angles are still a bit dodgy, compared to other top end smartphones, but much better in phones that win the panel lottery.

Basically, wait for Sony to get through the shit screens and buy when the price has gone down and they're sourcing panels from better manufacturers. I don't believe Sony has the best supply management out of the major manufacturers.

Breaks my heart too because I was pretty ready to get the Xperia Z1 from my carrier after resigning my contract. But getting the Xperia Z1 with the Xperia Z screen? Hahaha no sorry that's not going to happen.

DarkFlow

Banned
New Sony Smart Stick apparently going to be unveiled on Sunday. Google TV functionality into a dongle

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/13/sony-bravia-smart-stick-mhl-google-tv/

sony_bravia_smart_stick_remote.jpg

Update 2: Reader Bryan points out a page in the manual that confirms this accessory is only for 2013 model year (and later) Sony HDTVs.

Only 2013 and later Sony BRAVIA® TVs are supported.
2013 BRAVIA R series
2013 BRAVIA S series
2013 BRAVIA W series
2013 BRAVIA X series

Well that Sucks, I was looking fwd to seeing if this was a google TV I would buy.

i saw the bands it supported even before these posts even began.

let me put it this way: i will eat my hat if Verizon allows that phone on their network with Band 4 LTE but no Band 13 LTE.

RM8

Gameloft sent me a direct download link for Asphalt 8 because of the weird issue with my Xperia SP. I won't be so harsh with them from now on :p

popeutlal

Why was your hype deflated over the Verizon version?

I'm still tempted to pick it up, but I'm worried about 1) future updates and 2) huge size
Verizon checks if the phone is rooted and potentially voids the warranty, the phone gets hot, back buttons are ugly compared to other versions, its too light giving it a cheap feel and the software buttons are only transparent on stock launcher.

So how likely is it that the Nexus 5 has the same camera as the LG G2? Has it been confirmed 100%?

Cos if yes, and it's still priced at 299, i'm a day one customer.

So how likely is it that the Nexus 5 has the same camera as the LG G2? Has it been confirmed 100%?

Cos if yes, and it's still priced at 299, i'm a day one customer.

it's pretty decently likely but it doesn't mean the same image quality. Different software and all. But much more potential for better images especially if KitKat includes camera software upgrades.

it's pretty decently likely but it doesn't mean the same image quality. Different software and all. But much more potential for better images especially if KitKat includes camera software upgrades.

It's silly that we can't shoot raw files and that we can't have apps that would edit them properly. :/

potam

Banned
Question for those on Tmobile's $30/mo. 100 minute plan:

What are the overage fees for going over the voice minutes? Right now, my wife and I rarely go over 150 minutes each on our plan. In fact, I don't think we've ever gone over our 700 shared minutes since we've had the plan.

But, on the rare occasions when I have to wait on hold for Comcast, school, etc., I'd like to have a little wiggle room.

I'm so tempted to grab a Nexus 5 or 4 and switch over to Tmobile and start saving money.

Fox318

Verizon checks if the phone is rooted and potentially voids the warranty, the phone gets hot, back buttons are ugly compared to other versions, its too light giving it a cheap feel and the software buttons are only transparent on stock launcher.

Yeah I'm in the same camp. I just tested out the Verizon G2 and coming from the Galaxy Nexus it has horrible ui.

I really wish Verizon carried Sony Xperia phones.

Guess I'm gonna wait for the Note 3, Nexus 5, or maybe the HTC One Max.

Verizon has the worst phone selection on the market.

DarkFlow

Banned

What are the overage fees for going over the voice minutes? Right now, my wife and I rarely go over 150 minutes each on our plan. In fact, I don't think we've ever gone over our 700 shared minutes since we've had the plan.

But, on the rare occasions when I have to wait on hold for Comcast, school, etc., I'd like to have a little wiggle room.

I'm so tempted to grab a Nexus 5 or 4 and switch over to Tmobile and start saving money.
10 cents a minute. You need to have money already in the account as a backup if you plan to go over.

potam

Banned
10 cents a minute. You need to have money already in the account as a backup if you plan to go over.

Ugh. That seems like kind of a deal killer. Plus the coverage outside Atlanta seems spotty at best. I'd hate to be lost somewhere and not have a reliable connection.

Verizon has the worst phone selection on the market.

But dat coverage :(

I'm almost tempted to get a Moto X, despite the lower specs compared to the G2. I just want a relatively stock Android experience.

Laekon

It's $0.10 a minute. There are other plans out there for just a little more like Straight Talk and AIO. Tmobile also has a $60 a month plan with more minutes.

DarkFlow

Banned

potam

Banned
It's $0.10 a minute. There are other plans out there for just a little more like Straight Talk and AIO. Tmobile also has a $60 a month plan with more minutes.

Yeah, I looked at the $60/mo plan. But if my wife and I both switched over, that would be $120/mo. I'm not convinced saving ~$30/mo over Verizon is worth the hit in coverage/speed.

Never considered that. How reliable is it? I always imagine being in the middle of a call and having it drop, since I've never found mobile data to be very reliable in general.

Fox318

Ugh. That seems like kind of a deal killer. Plus the coverage outside Atlanta seems spotty at best. I'd hate to be lost somewhere and not have a reliable connection.

But dat coverage :(

I'm almost tempted to get a Moto X, despite the lower specs compared to the G2. I just want a relatively stock Android experience.

Oh trust me I know Verizon has the best coverage in the nation but its fucking bullshit on what they do with their headsets. Between the stupid branding and software partnerships that clutter up phones. Its like they are trying to revert the phone market back to what it was before the iPhone with phones like the LG Chocolate and Env2.

Hell even the apps that they have content deals with suck as well. The NFL mobile app has a paywall on Verizon. So what the fuck is the point of making it exclusive or something?

I hope Verizon loses the FCC case and I hope the company is forced to make more consumer friendly changes.

Toki767

It's sad that there's still no guarantee that Motorola will be able to update the phone in a timely manner. Even with a close to stock experience it still needs to go through every carrier's QA testing. I wonder how Apple gets away with it and why other companies can't take a stand themselves.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's sad that there's still no guarantee that Motorola will be able to update the phone in a timely manner. Even with a close to stock experience it still needs to go through every carrier's QA testing. I wonder how Apple gets away with it and why other companies can't take a stand themselves.

Google took a stand with the N4, and the result was Verizon not carrying it. It took years before Verizon would play ball with Apple.

potam

Banned
Google took a stand with the N4, and the result was Verizon not carrying it. It took years before Verizon would play ball with Apple.

ATT had an exclusive agreement with Apple, no? Verizon got the iPhone as soon as that contract was up. Whether or not they didn't get the exclusivity in the first place because they're stubborn is another question, though.

ATT had an exclusive agreement with Apple, no? Verizon got the iPhone as soon as that contract was up. Whether or not they didn't get the exclusivity in the first place because they're stubborn is another question, though.

I thought it was common knowledge that Verizon told Apple to fuck off

potam

Banned
I thought it was common knowledge that Verizon told Apple to fuck off

Oh, well, I guess I was partially wrong. I just read up on it and it looks like the main reason they declined originally was (obviously) money, and not necessarily that Apple wanted full control.

But I still stand by my original statement that it wasn't as if it took Verizon all those years to finally come around; they couldn't carry the device until the iPhone 4 due to the exclusivity between ATT and Apple.

Talon

Over half the activations on AT&T and Verizon were iPhones last quarter - the final quarter before the refresh.

That's called bargaining power.

DarkFlow

Banned
Never considered that. How reliable is it? I always imagine being in the middle of a call and having it drop, since I've never found mobile data to be very reliable in general.

It works rather well on my Galaxy Nexus. I have good coverage with T mobile so I've never had a dropped call, and most people can't tell I'm using it.

Toki767

I tried out the Moto X today. It felt really nice. Shame it's like they were a year too late with that hardware and feature set.

tino

Banned
Oh, well, I guess I was partially wrong. I just read up on it and it looks like the main reason they declined originally was (obviously) money, and not necessarily that Apple wanted full control.

But I still stand by my original statement that it wasn't as if it took Verizon all those years to finally come around; they couldn't carry the device until the iPhone 4 due to the exclusivity between ATT and Apple.

Its more like Apple came around to them like apple come to China Mobile this year. The Apple policy of making only 1 model doesn't fly. You either make a model variant for these carriers or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom