• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm contemplating ditching my iPhone 4S when my contract is up and getting a Moto X when the 32 GB dev version comes out, and get a used 160 GB iPod classic for my portable music needs.

Of course, I need to think about the transition. How does Real Racing 3 run in Android, has it caught up to the iPhone version,

RM8

So it's been one week since I bought my very first non-4-inch screen phone and to be honest, I think my next phone will be 4-inch phone again. If they exist by next year :(

I kind of wish I would have bought a Xperia M instead of the SP:
dkQCPKx.jpg

But then specs-wise it doesn't seem like a big upgrade from my old Xperia P. And I'm enjoying the performance boost.

Finguo

Hey guys, I'm looking for a fast and hassle free way to create calendar entries and reminders via voice input. By saying something like "Doctor's appointment on Friday, 3pm" .
Is there a way to do that with the stock calendar app or voice search? Or are there better 3rd party apps availiable?
I'm on a Nexus 4 btw. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm looking for a fast and hassle free way to create calendar entries and reminders via voice input. By saying something like "Doctor's appointment on Friday, 3pm" .
Is there a way to do that with the stock calendar app or voice search? Or are there better 3rd party apps availiable?
I'm on a Nexus 4 btw. Thanks!

Google Now does that.

Beezy

Verizon checks if the phone is rooted and potentially voids the warranty, the phone gets hot, back buttons are ugly compared to other versions, its too light giving it a cheap feel and the software buttons are only transparent on stock launcher.

Ugh, I was finally set on my next phone and now I hear this. Verizon makes some really dumb decisions. I need to get rid my Galaxy Nexus because of it's shitty battery life.

tehbible

Ugh, I was finally set on my next phone and now I hear this. Verizon makes some really dumb decisions. I need to get rid my Galaxy Nexus because of it's shitty battery life.

Same camp as you man. I really need to get rid of this VZW GNex with the shit battery life.

I'm really torn, should I move from Verizon to T-Mobile? Verizon does have the best coverage by far, especially their LTE coverage. But I'm totally okay with HSPA+. Still deciding if I should switch from Verizon to T-Mobile...

Latest coverage maps from the various carriers

J6WhTDo.jpg

Laekon

Same camp as you man. I really need to get rid of this VZW GNex with the shit battery life.

I'm really torn, should I move from Verizon to T-Mobile? Verizon does have the best coverage by far, especially their LTE coverage. But I'm totally okay with HSPA+. Still deciding if I should switch from Verizon to T-Mobile...

Latest coverage maps from the various carriers
You can always just buy a new battery. Right now I'm starting to think AIO(AT&T) is the best month to month option. It is more expensive but it has a lot better coverage than T-mobile and is more predictable than Straight Talk. I've had no issues with T-mobile beyond coverage but that is the most important thing.

The hard part for me is deciding on a G2 now or waiting for the Nexus 5.

Beezy

You can always just buy a new battery.

I had the original battery and the extended battery for a good while. I'd use one until it died, then switch to the other and they STILL couldn't last throughout the day. I'll pass.

My 3G/4G have also been randomly dropping lately, so I just need to get rid of this thing.

tino

Banned
I had the original battery and the extended battery for a good while. I'd use one until it died, then switch to the other and they STILL couldn't last throughout the day. I'll pass.

My 3G/4G have also been randomly dropping lately, so I just need to get rid of this thing.

Wow your phone can eat through 2 batteries in a day?

kulapik

I have this one:

bq-aquaris-5-04.jpg

Bq Aquaris 5

It's from a Spanish company that started selling e-books, then went up to tablets, and now to smartphones. Well, it's not totally theirs, it's a chinese terminal with it's mark.

It has an 5" IPS, qHD (biggest problem) screen, a 1.2 GHz quad-core Cortex A7 and 1GB of RAM. It has 16GB + MicroSD card reader.

It costed €199 (around $250). It was worth it until the Nexus 4 went down to 199 (and I bought it the week before lol). Works nice for me.

Cipherr

Well, what does the Gal Nex on LTE get for onscreen time on a charge? 2 hours? I mean its possible for someone to need more than 4 hours screen on time in a day, so /shrug. He may very well not be exaggerating. Gal Nex on Verizon has some of the worst screen on time out there IIRC.

I mean:

gsmarena_002.jpg

And thats the 3G version I think. With LTE it gets even worse. Compare that to something like the G2 that just came out:

aDWSNIU.jpg

potam

Banned
I pretty much turned LTE off when I had a GNexus. The battery life on that thing was atrocious, but in the end I didn't really need the second battery since I don't use my phone that heavily aside from streaming music and light browsing.

Cipherr

So all Nexus devices eat battery? Which Nexus device actual get good battery life?

Nexus S wasn't all that either, and the Nexus 4 isnt that great.

gsmarena_003.jpg

And we know they shaved a huge amount of capacity from the LG G2 for the upcoming N5 also. So its clearly intentional. I don't know if thats a part of them lowering the cost of production or what, but they are actively PURSUING smaller battery sizes and mediocre battery life for the Nexus phones it seems. They are cheap off contract, but man, you pay for it in battery and camera quality.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I was so tempted to stay on Verizon and get the Moto X but decided to move my number to T-Mobile with my new Nexus 4 & the $30 Unlimited plan.

I think I made the right decision.

gsmarena_003.jpg

And we know they shaved a huge amount of capacity from the LG G2 for the upcoming N5 also. So its clearly intentional. I don't know if thats a part of them lowering the cost of production or what, but they are actively PURSUING smaller battery sizes and mediocre battery life for the Nexus phones it seems. They are cheap off contract, but man, you pay for it in battery and camera quality.

Nexus 5 looks like it will have an amazing camera, if the rumors of it having OIS and them using the G2's sensor are accurate.

As for battery, even though it has 700 mah less than the G2, the processor is much more battery efficient. I think the G2 is rated at about 11 and a half hours of web browsing time. So, the smaller N5 battery should put it around 8hrs with all things being equal, which is double the N4. This doesn't account for any battery-focused tweaks KitKat may bring.

Toki767

Nexus 5 looks like it will have an amazing camera, if the rumors of it having OIS and them using the G2's sensor are accurate.

As for battery, even though it has 700 mah less than the G2, the processor is much more battery efficient. I think the G2 is rated at about 11 and a half hours of web browsing time. So, the smaller N5 battery should put it around 8hrs with all things being equal, which is double the N4. This doesn't account for any battery-focused tweaks KitKat may bring.
The G2 does have that GRAM though. I wonder if it'll be part of the Nexus 5. Also they use some sort of new battery tech I thought. I figure the Nexus 5 will just stick to a standard lithium ion battery.

Cipherr

I dunno, I would love to be wrong. If they actually did manage to hold and only drop to 8 hours (which would be more than enough for me, I have chargers everywhere anyway) I would probably buy day 1. But history here is telling me to temper my expectations considering the lower costs of these phones. Corners have to be cut somewhere to hit those prices.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Definetly not the Nexus 4. Mine eats battery life a lot, even when not in use.
My N4 typically lasts me about 36 hours between charges. Best battery life I've ever had on a phone, coming from my 4S it's a revelation. That said, when I'm working it's typically just on standby on my desk, not being used (obviously). But in that state it barely drops at all - it's great.

Was on LiquidSmooth now jumped to 4.3-based SlimBean after my phone was constnatly checking for the 4.3 update on LS and using up all my data.

hey, so it looks like the now network is almost in the early upgrade business, and they actually offer a lower monthly bill with it!

Sprint preps 'One Up,' its own early upgrade program

All of the carrier programs principally work the same, with a few nuanced differences. Sprint's One Up lets customers pick up a phone with no money down and pay for the device in 24 monthly installments. A phone that costs $649.99, for instance, will cost $27 a month (with the difference tacked on to the 24th payment). If a customer leaves the service early, that person is on the hook for the balance of the device cost, due the following month.

After a year, a customer can upgrade to a new phone by trading in the device. A customer signs up for One Up with an Unlimited, My Way or All-In plan. One Up provides a $15 discount, which allows for an unlimited talk, text, and data plan that costs as little as $65 a month. T-Mobile's comparable unlimited plan costs $70 a month.

One Up is more like Jump in that it offers customers a break on the plan in exchange for the monthly-installment model. T-Mobile's Jump was seen as a better deal than AT&T and Verizon because the carrier previously knocked the price down on all of its plans when it moved to a no-contract model. AT&T and Verizon's early upgrade plans were criticized because they didn't offer any discount on the service plans despite requiring customers to pay the full price of their devices.

DzPCiJZ.png

Laekon

That's why I think it might be better just to get the G2 instead of waiting for the Nexus. Google hasn't don't the greatest with the camera software the last 2 times so it's hard to think they made any great improvements this year.

zedge

gsmarena_003.jpg

I dunno about the battery. My N4 lasts much longer than my S3 did. I find the battery life excellent to be honest.

zbeeb

Anyone having problems with the nexus 4 battery should try switching off google now location reporting. I found it makes a big difference to battery life

Beezy

Yes. And all I really do on it is text, make the occasional quick phone call, browse twitter/instagram and listen to music stored on my phone. No streaming. No gaming. No vid watching. Smh.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Anyone having problems with the nexus 4 battery should try switching off google now location reporting. I found it makes a big difference to battery life
Seriously, also check if it's pollign the update servers non stop for the 4.3 update - on 4.2x-based custom ROMs it will download the update file over and over again, failing each time. Mine went through about 2gigs of data in about a week and the battery life was shocking. I just thought it was because I was using the phone a lot on holiday!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
People getting hyped for Surface 2 when the N7 2013 is out and way better than it ever could be. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Considering a N7 again. IOS7 has kinda made my mini a bit of a dog.

My coworker has one and it's literally the most perfect tablet that has ever been made and will likely ever be made. There's not a single aspect of it that I could want improved even with tech in 1-2 years. (Only in 3-4 years when 4K tablet screens become viable, maybe...) There isn't a single thing I can fault it with. Low storage/no SD slot? Ehhhh... that's pretty much the only legit complaint I could ever see. The fricking thing even has wireless charging! Goddamn.

I have a first-gen N7 and after using my coworker's N7 2013 I'm jumping to upgrade. Will likely pull the trigger next month.

FUCK

Banned
Anyone seeing almost absolutely no reason to upgrade from a Note II to a Note III ? It took forever for me to set up everything just the way I like it, Custom rommed, unlocked, rooted etc.
not to mention a new case and screen protector.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep, battery life and camera quality are the two Achilles heels for the Nexus line. Not one iteration has had good ones. Such a shame. Hopefully Nexus 4 2014 model solves it. Let's face it. The 2013 model won't have amazing battery life.

reKon

Banned
That gsm arena battery test was not accurate... The Nexus 4 in general for a lot of people got much better battery life than that test indicated. It was the software updates that came out shortly after that really helped improve things. Think about what's running under the Nexus 4 and the screen technology it used...

32 hours doesn't make sense.

zedge

That gsm arena battery test was not accurate... The Nexus 4 in general for a lot of people got much better battery life than that test indicated. It was the software updates that came out shortly after that really helped improve things. Think about what's running under the Nexus 4 and the screen technology it used...

Yea, somethings not right with that. As I said before the battery on this thing is great for me personally.

People getting hyped for Surface 2 when the N7 2013 is out and way better than it ever could be. :(

<3 Surface Pro 2

lol @ Surface RT 2

the test was accurate when it was performed.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
All I can say, after having a 4 for a week, is that I'm gobsmacked by the battery life. I'll be using it regularly for 9-10 hours with no concern.

That's a damned sight better than my One V.

Anyone seeing almost absolutely no reason to upgrade from a Note II to a Note III ? It took forever for me to set up everything just the way I like it, Custom rommed, unlocked, rooted etc.
not to mention a new case and screen protector.

I'm staying with my N2. I'll wait for Note 4.

yogloo

Definetly not the Nexus 4. Mine eats battery life a lot, even when not in use.

How's your signal quality? I find that signal quality impacts battery life a lot.
When I am at home, if I turn on 3G service my signal bar goes down to only two or three bar. If I leave it overnight it will eat up 30-40 percent of a fully charged battery. Compared sometimes when I am on the road, with a 5 bar signal, overnight my phone only goes down 10-15 percent max. I end up having to turn off my 3G service everytime I am at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom