• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I think at this point in time yearly upgrades are not really worth it anymore. It'll be at least until next year we see proper jumps from last year's models. So I'd say that if you've bought a device last year you're good to go for one more.

tino

Banned
Anyone seeing almost absolutely no reason to upgrade from a Note II to a Note III ? It took forever for me to set up everything just the way I like it, Custom rommed, unlocked, rooted etc.
not to mention a new case and screen protector.
I am leaving the Note series. I just want to try something new. i thought I was going to use the pen to draw all the time but I don't.

I still like the large screen but large screen is cheap nowadays.

PaulLFC

I feel like this is a stupid post, but I can't find how to remove individual songs from Play Music's offline storage, without deleting all songs. I went to "on device" music and chose Delete on a song, but this said it'd delete the song from my library on all devices - I just want to remove it from offline storage on the phone to get some space back. Is there a way to do this for individual songs?

I feel like this is a stupid post, but I can't find how to remove individual songs from Play Music's offline storage, without deleting all songs. I went to "on device" music and chose Delete on a song, but this said it'd delete the song from my library on all devices - I just want to remove it from offline storage on the phone to get some space back. Is there a way to do this for individual songs?

unpin it.

delete removes it from Google Music entirely.

is it a song in a pinned playlist? i have no idea how that is handled...

PaulLFC

unpin it.

delete removes it from Google Music entirely.

is it a song in a pinned playlist? i have no idea how that is handled...
Thanks. Yeah they were songs from a pinned playlist that auto downloaded when they were added - there doesn't seem to be a way to delete them though.

I assume the best way to handle things would be to go to individual albums in the library and pin each song, then they can be unpinned at a later date if needed?

I might just delete all the offline songs and start again using that method instead of the pinned playlist.

Nicktendo86

Thanks. Yeah they were songs from a pinned playlist that auto downloaded when they were added - there doesn't seem to be a way to delete them though.

I assume the best way to handle things would be to go to individual albums in the library and pin each song, then they can be unpinned at a later date if needed?

I might just delete all the offline songs and start again using that method instead of the pinned playlist.

Funny enough I was trying to work out how to do this yesterday before trying hitting the pin. Not obvious at all how to remove songs, they could work on that.

Gaaraz

Guys, I'm running the stock messaging app on CM10... but I'm wondering is there anyway to almost have a 'read it later' option on the popup? I don't always want to reply right away, but it's also easy to forget about them

Cheers

Nicktendo86

My N4 lasts a full day with average use, I am really happy with it and hopfully KK will imrpove it further. Chrome is what really kills my battery.

At the end of the day these phones have big HD screens which will always use the most battery, if you use your phone it will run down no matter what. To me it doesn't matter so much if a phone has a 14 day stand by time, a smartphone is there to be used.

Groof

Amazon.com have put up a case for the N5, possible first offcial render of the phone? Looks legit to me, camera moved to the left side, everything else looks about right. Says release date is 31st October...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV8Y684/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If this is a real render and this is some sort of slip up I'll be laughing all the way to the river side and drown myself because this is leak has been way too funny.

Zeppu

Hai guise you want a case for your Nexus 5?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV8Y684/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61pVrU5COzL._SL1000_.jpg

Edit: beaten

Can't wait for the leak of the case now. Since it's not pictured anywhere.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I think at this point in time yearly upgrades are not really worth it anymore. It'll be at least until next year we see proper jumps from last year's models. So I'd say that if you've bought a device last year you're good to go for one more.

I bought an S3 in December, but I am upgrading to the Note 3. I have no intention of getting a new device after that for at least 18 months, but we'll see what happens.

Groof

I bought an S3 in December, but I am upgrading to the Note 3. I have no intention of getting a new device after that for at least 18 months, but we'll see what happens.

I'd say S3 -> Note 3 is a pretty decent upgrade, considering S3 is almost 2 years old now. You will however be pretty future proofed with the Note 3 for the coming two years.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Very little side bezels, it seems. Nice. Doesn't look too different from the N4.

That honestly seems to be the case. You could make the argument for upgrading the Nexus line every year except for this one. N1 had a crap screen and no memory, NS was a year old on release, GN added a 720P screen and immediate ICS, N4 wasn't hot garbage and lasted longer than two hours on standby. I wouldn't be happy with my GN after the N4 release but I am content with my N4.

Very little side bezels, it seems. Nice. Doesn't look too different from the N4.

That honestly seems to be the case. You could make the argument for upgrading the Nexus line every year except for this one. N1 had a crap screen and no memory, NS was a year old on release, GN added a 720P screen and immediate ICS, N4 wasn't hot garbage and lasted longer than two hours on standby. I wouldn't be happy with my GN after the N4 release but I am content with my N4.

I disagree, especially if that's the argument for the GNex.

The N5 is introducing another resolution bump (1080p), just like the GNex, and it is officially bringing LTE to the Nexus line without the need for hacks to the GSM variants for the first time (GNex only had LTE on Verizon). Given how many reviews bashed the N4 for omitting LTE, this is long overdue.

And, if the camera rumors are true: it will be the first non-garbage camera in the line.

Oh, and KitKat too.

If they keep the prices fairly consistent with the N4, I think an argument for upgrading can easily be made. We'll see in a month.

Firefox Mobile question: my bookmarks are a mess. I de-synced it from my desktop computer after having problems, and a few days ago I made the mistake of using the "Import from Android" feature, so now I have all my Chrome bookmarks in the Unsorted section of my Firefox bookmarks. I have important stuff in there, so how do I organize it? I won't get the dreaded triple-bookmarks if I sync it again will I? Can I export them?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I disagree, especially if that's the argument for the GNex.

The N5 is introducing another resolution bump (1080p), just like the GNex, and it is officially bringing LTE to the Nexus line without the need for hacks to the GSM variants for the first time (GNex only had LTE on Verizon). Given how many reviews bashed the N4 for omitting LTE, this is long overdue.

And, if the camera rumors are true: it will be the first non-garbage camera in the line.

Oh, and KitKat too.

If they keep the prices fairly consistent with the N4, I think an argument for upgrading can easily be made. We'll see in a month.

Those are good points. The GN was slow on release, though. And near unusable. The N4 will keep on trucking just fine. N4 should get KK fairly quickly. I'm in Europe so I don't care about LTE right now. The camera is a big thing, though.

Hm, I wonder if my carrier has LTE and whether the N5 will be compatible. If so, upgrade for sure.

Indeed. #1 thing i like about the Note 3 that the Note II doesn't have is the IR Blaster.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The only big reason to jump from the N4 would be if you really want access to LTE on your provider (yes I know you can mod it to work with a small range of carriers), and if LTE Voice becomes a big thing next year.

That being said most of the flagship phones are still perfectly fine from the year 2012. I wouldn't say anyone with a One X/+, GS3, Note II, N4 etc... would NEED to upgrade. Those phones should be quiet usable for the foreseeable future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Those are good points. The GN was slow on release, though. And near unusable. The N4 will keep on trucking just fine. N4 should get KK fairly quickly. I'm in Europe so I don't care about LTE right now. The camera is a big thing, though.

Hm, I wonder if my carrier has LTE and whether the N5 will be compatible. If so, upgrade for sure.

I don't really think the GN was slow on release. What hurts it is a lack of RAM IMO. The processor/GPU are fine for the pixels it pushes, but not being able to keep more than 1 or 2 apps/browser tabs in memory is crippling.

I don't think they have access to the play store be default, so no.

Google bought BUMP Long live NFC.

LONG LIVE NFC

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Guys, I'm running the stock messaging app on CM10... but I'm wondering is there anyway to almost have a 'read it later' option on the popup? I don't always want to reply right away, but it's also easy to forget about them

Cheers

What would read it later do that swiping it away doesn't already do in the notification bar? I mean swiping away still makes it so it's not a read message when you click on your text message app. Outside of that you could just leave things in the notification drawer.

Bboy AJ

NFC is just BLE for unsophisticated apes. I'm glad Apple is around to keep the tech industry on track. Otherwise, we would have areas full of people playing hide and seek with stickers. Ridiculous.

Google and Apple need each other. Google to push the industry forward and Apple to refine and make these new ideas elegant.

NFC is just BLE for unsophisticated apes. I'm glad Apple is around to keep the tech industry on track. Otherwise, we would have areas full of people playing hide and seek with stickers. Ridiculous.

Google and Apple need each other. Google to push the industry forward and Apple to refine and make these new ideas elegant.

But... what about Microsoft

I've had NFC turned off since I got my Nexus 4. Maybe if Google actually did something with Wallet in Canada, I'd use it. We have PayPass at nearly every major store now but googy doesn't care.

Groof

With s-bump you can throw your phone in the air and when you catch it everything is on your friends phone! Only on touch wiz

One thing I realized is no one knows what the fuck sense or touchwiz are.

Barely anyone I know even knows what Android or iOS is. It's just Samsung phones and iPhones to them.

Fox318

Damn it google just announce the Nexus 5.

I'd like to know if I should get a Nexus device or have to deal with touchwiz and get a note 3.

Blackhead

Redarse

Why can't we have both NFC and BLE?

Groof

Dear lord that camera lens just gets bigger and bigger the more we see it. Phone looks damn good, however. Seems like they're using the Google Edition boot animation now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom