• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Oh god Nexus 7 2013 edition is getting put up for pre-orders on Swedish retailer websites
AU7Amsc.gif

Talon

I have two friends that are still on the Droid Incredible 2 and Atrix respectively. I've literally started spamming HTC One deals to them ever few days.
Why can't we have both NFC and BLE?

MADNESS

ONE MUST FALL
Bluetooth 4.0 is a standard feature in smartphones just as a matter of course - because you're going to have Bluetooth.

NFC is not a standard in smartphones just as a matter of course.

Writing's on the wall. It's not rooting for anything. It just makes intuitive sense.

So it does have the giant NEXUS logo laying side way. Also very ugly looking plastic back.

It's preproduction hardware. In the leaked shots of the Nexus 4, it said "with Google" on the back, and it also looked less polished in general. That said, I love matte finishes. I'm happy to see the glass go.

[Root/Write Protection Bypass] MotoX (no unlock needed)

looks like the Moto X, DROID MINI, DROID MAXX and DROID ULTRA just got ... nah, not even gonna go there

How It Works

With the MotoRoot hack, we caught a glimpse of some of the interesting exploits that went into getting everything working. This time around, a little more time and a bit of luck made for a much more elegant solution. Again, the second "Master Key" exploit makes an appearance to gain system-level access, this time followed by a symlink attack to achieve root access.

This is where things get really interesting. It turns out that Motorola signed the boot.img and recovery with the same key, yet never checks to determine which is loaded into each partition. This creates an excellent opportunity, as it allows the boot.img to be written into the recovery partition. At first, this doesn't seem like a very useful option, except that one of the features of booting to recovery is that write protection is automatically disabled. PwnMyMoto creates a backup of the recovery image (storing it in /sdcard/recovery-stock.img for safe keeping), and overwrites that partition with the boot.img. With this configuration, restarting the phone into recovery launches the Android OS with full write access.

From here, PwnMyMoto simply re-roots and writes su to the system partition permanently.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...nd-maxx-makes-flashing-custom-roms-a-reality/

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ordered an HTC One after being on an iPhone exclusively for 2 years. No idea where to start with the thing. Custom UI? Tweaks? Settings? Apps? I'm scurred and excited at the same time.

gcubed

Ordered an HTC One after being on an iPhone exclusively for 2 years. No idea where to start with the thing. Custom UI? Tweaks? Settings? Apps? I'm scurred and excited at the same time.

i got one and switched it to a google experience HTC One. i'm loving it... but i'm a stock and update snob

Talon

Wait... it does the handshake over Bluetooth but doesn't transfer the file over Bluetooth? Surely that's just dumb implementation and not a limitation of the tech right?
Faceless is conflating BLE and AirDrop. BLE has extremely broad use-cases - file transfers aren't really a consideration.

Scoble Scobling

Anyways, doing some readup on AirDrop. For iOS devices, it just creates an ad-hoc wireless network for file transfers. Interesting. I'm guessing the range is something like 20-30 feet on that.

gcubed

Faceless is conflating BLE and AirDrop. BLE has extremely broad use-cases - file transfers aren't really a consideration.

Scoble Scobling

Anyways, doing some readup on AirDrop. For iOS devices, it just creates an ad-hoc wireless network for file transfers. Interesting. I'm guessing the range is something like 20-30 feet on that.

Right. I can dream up some fantasy shit too if you are going to take everything seriously

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That back is such a downgrade from the Nexus 4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Depends on how it feels. If it's like the new N7 it'll be god-tier.

Since this thing has LTE and no glass back I expect Josh Topolsky will give it a major tongue bath, gonna be great. Basically the only two complaints he had of the N4 (but he kept harping on them.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah but fuck Josh. And every Verge review has a Ctrl + F of 30 "but"s.

I was thinking, only the S800 has the always listening processor, right? If that's introduced with KK, I may upgrade. I think that's a very awesome feature. I can't imagine the N4 getting it without killing battery life.

Talon

If it's soft touch, it'll be an improvement on the 4.

I was thinking, only the S800 has the always listening processor, right? If that's introduced with KK, I may upgrade. I think that's a very awesome feature. I can't imagine the N4 getting it without killing battery life.
I can't imagine a scenario where the voice features are not prominent on a Nexus device.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
That front is awesome. The subtler curve on the top and bottom/sharper corners look very "professional"/smart. Love it.

Yeah I like the curves as well. I also like that the front facing camera is centered at the top.

If you've ever held a Nexus 7 you'd disagree. This looks like a shrunken down version of it (though it's still pre-production so who knows if the final will be the same). Sure it doesn't have as much flash as the glass back of the Nexus 4, but I'll take the comfort of this over having to baby a shatter magnet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been using my Nexus 4, my first Android device, since launch and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. The only issues I hope to find a solution for are:
- A way to instantly scroll up in any page, same as touching the clock in iOS.
- An alternative for the stock text-editing tools (selection/copy/paste). Right now the controls are finicky and not as intuitive, while the tool bar can get very disruptive as it pushes everything down instead of being a pop-up overlay.

Are there any apps and tweaks to help solve either of these?

gcubed

How do you do this? Is it worth it? Based on what I've read, I figured I'd just install a launcher and lock screen.

There are guides online (you need a gsm phone running 4.2.1) and it's "fairly" straight forward, but if this is your first go around at any rom playing I'd just stick with a new launcher and play around with roms later on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Eh I think David's the only one that overuses them. Josh's reviews are well written and have a slightly pro-Android stance usually, which is cool if you know about it (and annoying if you don't.)

yogloo

Question to android gaf.
It seems that my samsung note's home button is failing. I'm going to take it in for service. How do I do a full backup that I can restore back later?
Is there any other option besides rooting and a nand backup?

PaulLFC

I've been looking at Play Music a bit more since last night - deleted all the music stored on my phone and was planning to just pin individual songs and add them to an overall playlist for easy deletion if needed later. Only, you can't do that, unless I'm missing something. Your two options with regards to adding and removing offline music in Google Play appear to be

1. Pin full albums - you can then visit the album to unpin and remove it. Want just one or two songs from the album offline? Tough.

2. Add individual songs to a pinned playlist, they'll then be downloaded. Only, it doesn't seem you can remove them once they're added to the offline playlist - the app acts as if the songs aren't pinned, and removing them from the playlist itself appears to do nothing as far as reclaiming storage space is concerned.

Why there isn't an easy way to just say "keep this song and this song, and these 3 songs off Album B" I have no idea. Maybe there is, and I haven't noticed it, but in that case it isn't obvious what the process is.

I assume Google thinks practically everyone has unlimited data plans these days, sadly not.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Question to android gaf.
It seems that my samsung note's home button is failing. I'm going to take it in for service. How do I do a full backup that I can restore back later?
Is there any other option besides rooting and a nand backup?

I think root + nandroid is your only option for a full backup. You can backup up data for individual apps without root via Helium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom