• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should've pushed Holo Light as main theme with whatever the Google Now update was. On one hand I'm thinking it's a missed opportunity not to do it with 4.4, but then again, it's not like most people will notice, when they buy their TouchWiz phone.

They should've pushed Holo Light as main theme with whatever the Google Now update was. On one hand I'm thinking it's a missed opportunity not to do it with 4.4, but then again, it's not like most people will notice, when they buy their TouchWiz phone.

word, and I do think google is moving toward it and it's a matter of when and not if. But I wish it was sooner as well. The whole tron thing is getting old. Holo light looks slick and professional and friendly.

also for the backing up the note, doesn't samsung have their own software? Or is that only for contacts/videos/pics.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
lg-nexus-5-wi-fi-certification-1-645x430.jpg

lg-nexus-5-wi-fi-certification-2-645x430.jpg

mturco

Question to android gaf.
It seems that my samsung note's home button is failing. I'm going to take it in for service. How do I do a full backup that I can restore back later?
Is there any other option besides rooting and a nand backup?

Yep. ADB has a backup command that will backup everything a Nandroid backup does. I actually just used it to backup my Nexus 7 before unlocking the bootloader and it restored everything fine after.

There's even a "one click" utility somebody made on XDA (which is what I used).
http://lifehacker.com/5976036/simpl...droid-phone-from-the-desktop-no-root-required

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been looking at Play Music a bit more since last night - deleted all the music stored on my phone and was planning to just pin individual songs and add them to an overall playlist for easy deletion if needed later. Only, you can't do that, unless I'm missing something. Your two options with regards to adding and removing offline music in Google Play appear to be

1. Pin full albums - you can then visit the album to unpin and remove it. Want just one or two songs from the album offline? Tough.

2. Add individual songs to a pinned playlist, they'll then be downloaded. Only, it doesn't seem you can remove them once they're added to the offline playlist - the app acts as if the songs aren't pinned, and removing them from the playlist itself appears to do nothing as far as reclaiming storage space is concerned.

Why there isn't an easy way to just say "keep this song and this song, and these 3 songs off Album B" I have no idea. Maybe there is, and I haven't noticed it, but in that case it isn't obvious what the process is.

I assume Google thinks practically everyone has unlimited data plans these days, sadly not.

create a playlist for offline use. Then add songs to playlist. Its a poor work around but that's how you accomplish your task.

kehs

Banned
What's with the blue circle down the screen?

It's white, but it's google now access. That's usually where the back/home/recent softbuttons are when unlocked.

create a playlist for offline use. Then add songs to playlist. Its a poor work around but that's how you accomplish your task.

Yeah, I use the thumb's up playlist for that. Quicker way to add songs too. I really disliked how limited they made managing online/offline/pinned music with the new music update.

Is android doing that or the hardware? I always assumed most of the problems were a result of low quality hardware design.

It has more to do with apps not being updated for 4.3 compatibility. Some apps, like SnapChat, would randomly crash the phone for me, until they updated it. It never happened before 4.3.

Jeff Jarvis (of TWiG fame) is reporting that Verizon is refusing to activate Nexus 7's on their network.

This does not bode well for Nexus 5 support, even if the bands allow it.

However, I should note that Verizon is in violation of their agreement with the FCC here. They are required to allow any device to use their LTE, as per their agreement when they acquired the spectrum.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jeff Jarvis (of TWiG fame) is reporting that Verizon is refusing to activate Nexus 7's on their network.

However, I should note that Verizon is in violation of their agreement with the FCC here. They are required to allow any device to use their LTE, as per their agreement when they acquired the spectrum.
It's amazing these companies just tell the government to fuck off, sue me. Can you imagine doing that as a citizen?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It has more to do with apps not being updated for 4.3 compatibility. Some apps, like SnapChat, would randomly crash the phone for me, until they updated it. It never happened before 4.3.

4.3 on my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 4 and I've never had either devices randomly reboot, let alone twice per day.
Pretty sure it's Facebook Messenger that's fucking me up. I've always got it open as it's my girlfriend's preferred texting platform.

Nexus 5 benchmarks:

GFXBench 2.7 T-Rex HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p)
Nexus 5 - 1291 Frames (23.1 Fps)
Apple iPhone 5S - unknown
Apple iPhone 5 - 383 Frames (6.8 Fps)
Galaxy S4 (Sprint) - 954 Frames (17.0 Fps)
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - 1286 Frames (23.0 Fps)
Nvidia Shield - 1341 Frames (23.9 Fps)

GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p)
Nexus 5 - 6556 Frames (58.0 Fps)
Apple iPhone 5S - 6332 Frames (56.0 Fps)
Apple iPhone 5 - 3370 Frames (29.8 Fps)
Galaxy S4 (Sprint) - 4799 Frames (42.5 Fps)
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - 6803 Frames (60.2 Fps)
Nvidia Shield - 7250 Frames (64.2 Fps)

hey folks, i'm glad that you're all back on the plastic bandwagon.

True, sorry! Where does s-beam fit in? Its a much better "beam" solution
there are several technologies in play

NFC is for the transfer small sets of data... contact information, links, text, pairing info...

when you send a picture with Android Beam, it uses NFC to setup the connection and then sends the file via Bluetooth, S Beam just does the 'sends the file' part via Wifi instead.

from what i understand about BLE, they have ways to estimate the proximity between devices based on signal, etc... i guess we'll see how well that works if/when companies try to mimic NFC-like tapping with it... but consider that Apple decided to use a remote server based system with AirDrop instead of a more localized BLE only method.

Bboy AJ

Yeah, it feels like I'm the only one here upset about the new N4 back. Never let it be said I'm consistent. But anyway, there's a difference between Samsung plastic and the N4 plastic. You don't even need to feel it to tell.

I've been looking at Play Music a bit more since last night - deleted all the music stored on my phone and was planning to just pin individual songs and add them to an overall playlist for easy deletion if needed later. Only, you can't do that, unless I'm missing something. Your two options with regards to adding and removing offline music in Google Play appear to be

1. Pin full albums - you can then visit the album to unpin and remove it. Want just one or two songs from the album offline? Tough.

2. Add individual songs to a pinned playlist, they'll then be downloaded. Only, it doesn't seem you can remove them once they're added to the offline playlist - the app acts as if the songs aren't pinned, and removing them from the playlist itself appears to do nothing as far as reclaiming storage space is concerned.

Why there isn't an easy way to just say "keep this song and this song, and these 3 songs off Album B" I have no idea. Maybe there is, and I haven't noticed it, but in that case it isn't obvious what the process is.

I assume Google thinks practically everyone has unlimited data plans these days, sadly not.

tino

Banned
Announce the Nexus 5 already Google! My galaxy nexus is on its last legs.

I am pretty sure Google can't announce the N5 now is the same reason Xiaomi can't sell the Mi3 until mid Oct: they are second tier manufacturers that won't have access to the Snapdragon 800 until Oct.

don't you just need to get a tablet provisioned LTE SIM card and pop it into the SIM slot?

technically, can it even *be* activated? it doesn't do CDMA...

kehs

Banned
Yeah, it feels like I'm the only one here upset about the new N4 back. Never let it be said I'm consistent. But anyway, there's a difference between Samsung plastic and the N4 plastic. You don't even need to feel it to tell.

Even though I have a skin on the back of my N4, the rubberized back on the N5 looks lame.

I can only assume it's gonna feel the same. I love the feel of the glass on the N4 though. Been fortunate enough to drop it without it cracking though.

Nicktendo86

No I am with you, love my glass n4. #teamglass

Groof

If the new N4 plastic is anything like the one on the bezels of the current N4 (or the new N7) it's gonna be a real good one.
But honestly, I find the current N4 to be the better looking of the two so far. Love my N4 to bits.

Even though I have a skin on the back of my N4, the rubberized back on the N5 looks lame.

I can only assume it's gonna feel the same. I love the feel of the glass on the N4 though. Been fortunate enough to drop it without it cracking though.

Nope. The new Nexus 7 feels great, and it appears to use the same materials. Get your hands on the N7.

Zeppu

The whitespace in the logo looks like a sparrow or something mid flight (going right) with its wings at the highest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom