• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
well shit, if people like that can go through 3 start ups, me, being able to operate a cell phone, should be a fucking wizard in silicon valley

That was my thought when he got to the cable thing, and the contact transferring taking him all night.

Maybe he has his contacts in notes or some shit.

Fox318

I have had an Apple iPhone since 2008. I am a self-professed Apple fanboy and have been a dedicated follower of the company for the better part of a decade.
Really pulling me in there bud.
The packaging was cheap, dirty, and seemed to be only an inferior replication of the experience of opening an Apple product.
What exactly about the apple presentation of their packaging is so amazing. Hell for they have been trying to cut back on useless space with their packaging so they can transport more in a shipment.
The migration process wasn’t easy. For starters, I could only migrate contacts, photos, and text messages via HTC’s Sync Manager. This left me with the tedious task of individually downloading some 200+ apps to replicate the ecoystem I left on my iPhone.
He was able to use 200+ apps in 37 hours? I call bull fucking shit.

Also "ecoystem".

I consider myself a technically capable person and I was excited to explore the customization aspect of the open platform of the Android OS. However, after an hour or so, I felt hopelessly overwhelmed at all of the options at my disposal. Sure, I can customize the keyboard and change it if I don't like the stock one…but why should I have to spend any time doing so? Shouldn't the keyboard be optimium right out of the box? (For the record, I felt very frustrated by unintuitive nature of the keyboard.)
The android ecosystem allows for the addition of other apps and for the better apps to rise to the top. You don't have choice with iPhones. You are simply sheep being herded into what you think is the best way to do things.
Apple relentleslly cares about every last detail about their products, and it’s easy to take it for granted until you have something to compare it to. The charger itself was absolutely utilitarian. Standard black. The gauge was so thick that it was hard to make entirely straight, or wrap into a perfect circle. It was a stark contrast to Apple’s charger.
You know what this may be the best troll article I've ever read.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Jeff Jarvis (of TWiG fame) is reporting that Verizon is refusing to activate Nexus 7's on their network.

This does not bode well for Nexus 5 support, even if the bands allow it.

However, I should note that Verizon is in violation of their agreement with the FCC here. They are required to allow any device to use their LTE, as per their agreement when they acquired the spectrum.

This is gonna get even hairier when Verizon activates its AWS spectrum..which isn't bound by the 700mhz open access FCC rule

Fox318

Verizon must have really started to enforce their bloatware policy.

If it doesn't have our software on it we won't sell it.

Talon

That's typical of Apple fanboy writers (see also: Gruber, MG Siegler.)
Gruber and Siegler actually write pretty well. This guy sounds like he didn't finish High School.
i lasted until this paragraph.
This is actually valid. The one flaw of the One is the stupidly placed lock button. The right side of the phone makes perfect fucking sense for the lock button. Hell, even the top right makes more sense than the top left.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Terrible article.

The iPhone keyboard is part of the reason I was happy to switch. The tiny, single word suggestion that is really difficult to dismiss, as opposed to how Android offers 3 or more suggestions with the option to save a word (or not, so you can avoid iOS' annoying way of saving words you don't want) No Swype style typing. Still terrible outdated notification system. No inline replying to text messages.

I dislike the term sheep because I think Apple products are very well thought out, intuitive, and high quality. I still think they're ahead of the curve for most stuff and there's a reason they do so well. Customisation isn't part of the OS, and that's fine, but there can always be a different or better way of doing things and I love how you even have the option of changing that stuff on Android. Or not, if you don't want to. But it's amazing that the writer could spin that as a negative.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The problem is that he bought a non-Nexus phone and then complains that the details aren't paid their diligence.

The packaging issue? "Solved" in the Nexus line.

The lock button? In the correct position on the Nexus 4.

The keyboard complaint? Completely invalidated by the default stock Google Keyboard. (Which he could easily install if he wasn't such a lazy tosser.)

Hell, he didn't even cop the Google Edition of the One. He got the inferior, bloated up, Sense-addled version.

It's like buying an iPhone 5C and complaining it's made of plastic and has worse specs.

Gruber and Siegler actually write pretty well. This guy sounds like he didn't finish High School.

This is actually valid. The one flaw of the One is the stupidly placed lock button. The right side of the phone makes perfect fucking sense for the lock button. Hell, even the top right makes more sense than the top left.

all i know is i said it was dumb to have it up on the top... but guess what, his previous phone had it on top too!

kehs

Banned
Least helpful community ever.

There's no scroll to top tap, and the text selection things are garbage.

Not sure if you're rooted, but if you are, then there's probably a ton of alternatives to fix both, xda forums would be a place to find those things.

VoxPop

Meh his excuses for switching are pretty lame but I'm in a similar boat.

My reasons for going back to iOS from the HTC One after the past few months.

1. Camera - I am by no means some professional photographer but the camera on the One is pretty subpar. While I simply love ZOEs, the camera itself is unimpressive. Their video camera is great though. The 5 had a great camera from when I had it and seems to have been improved in the 5s.

2. Android UI design - Personal preference I guess but the UI itself is just hideous to me. It feels like they're stuck somewhere between Gingerbread and the awfully tacky Tron like UI in ICS/JB. Launchers itself only change the homescreen which I don't really care about. The general system UI needs a lot of work from a design perspective. Sense5 made it a little better but its still bland. Don't even get me started on TouchWiz. iOS 7 as a whole is quite beautiful and refreshing aside from their horrible icons which a jailbreak can easily fix.

3. Messaging - The main reason I wanted to go back. iMessage is a godsend and my favorite thing about iOS. How it seamlessly transitions in between SMS and iMessage with no issues compared to garbage like Hangouts. I have a lot of friends with iOS devices and have group chats going daily which I am forced to partake in via iMessage on my computer/iPad. I really can't stand the horrible looking SMS apps on most phones and the Play Store except maybe Textra.

4. Screen size - After much time with numerous Android phones, I really missed the ability to operate my phone with one hand as I did with my iPhones. Sure it's nice to have a bigger screen but it gets annoying when you have to use two hands. 4-4.3" is my sweet spot.

5. Apps - Android has definitely caught up somewhat in the Apps race but is still way behind in terms of quality imo. There are a lot of niche apps on my iPad that aren't available on Android and it really irks me. Games are also a big deal. Not to mention all my necessary Google apps are available on iOS.

6. Charger - Yeah not a big deal but the guy was right. The lightning cable is superior compared to microUSB of yesteryear.

7. Reliability - The guy is also right about the Apple stores and AppleCare in general. It's great to know I can just walk into one of the hundreds of Apple Stores to get my phone replaced with no questions asked instead of having to ship it out to some obscure carrier insurance company if I were to come across any issues. Being in & out of a store in 10 minutes is a win in my book.

8. Resale value - I don't know how much this holds true today but iPhones hold their resale value very well. Which is great for me considering I'm changing phones and traveling all the time.

9. Lockscreen - The Android lockscreen is just terrible for me. I like simple lockscreens with just my notifications but Widgetlocker/NiLs just don't cut it for me. Also not a big fan of TeslaUnread only working for certain apps.

10. Multitasking - Yeah it's nice to keep everything running in the background but it seriously bogs down my phones sometimes. I like iOS' multitasking implementation a tad better with the app suspensions and being able to turn on background loading just for things like browsers. Hate having to swipe everything away moving on from tasks.

Some things I will miss about Android

1. Easy customization - Although customizing iOS is possible via jailbreak, it's not as simple as downloading some icon packs off the Play Store to use with launchers. Designing the homescreen to your taste is quite easy and fun on Android. Stock homescreen on iOS is a clusterfuck of icons and an eyesore.

Yay said:
Xs1qETc.jpg
E9ZAqtZ.jpg

Ugh said:

2. Back + Home buttons - Definitely one of my favorite features of Android. The back button especially makes everything more fluid whether it be browsing the web or being inside an app.

3. Default apps - The golden goose of Android. Aside from browsers and map apps on iPhones, you can't change the default application for certain processes and that just drives me wild.

4. File system - This is an amazing feature that I hope one day makes it way to iOS. While you can get a file system on a jailbroken iPhone, its simply not made for that. You can tell immediately by all the convoluted folder names and weird file structures.

5. Notification system - Far superior on Android for sure.

6. Google Now - I actually hate Google Now and think its a pretty terrible but I love it how it sorts through my emails and notifies me about plane ticket info and stuff like shipment notifications for packages at the swipe of a button.

7. Downloading apps via the PlayStore website directly to your phone - so awesome. Surprised Apple hasn't doesnt something even remotely similar yet.

All in all, they're both great OSes but iOS caters to me a bit better than Android. I initially wanted to switch out for the Z1 but that seems like its gonna be a chore. I'm sure I'll be back for the latest and greatest once 5.0 comes around though.

Talon

all i know is i said it was dumb to have it up on the top... but guess what, his previous phone had it on top too!
Don't be intellectually dishonest, Faceless. Having a power button on top makes perfect sense on a 3.5" iPhone 4s. It doesn't on a 4.7" screen device.
The problem is that he bought a non-Nexus phone and then complains that the details aren't paid their diligence.

The packaging issue? "Solved" in the Nexus line.

The lock button? In the correct position on the Nexus 4.

The keyboard complaint? Completely invalidated by the default stock Google Keyboard. (Which he could easily switch to if he wasn't such a lazy tosser.)

Hell, he didn't even cop the Google Edition of the One. He got the inferior, bloated up, Sense-addled version.

It's like buying an iPhone 5C and complaining it's made of plastic and has worse specs.
I mean therein is the open criticism of Android, right? That the platform is largely reliant on manufacturers throw shit at the wall instead of refining and making the tough decisions.

I'm wary of giving any more brain power to that stupid as fuck blog post, but he's basically saying that he prefers the clean out of the box experience instead of having to tweak everything to get it "just right."

Any who, the thing I find most interesting is that there are a lot of users of Apple devices - many of us in this thread - that are very tech savvy and tweak the shit out of everything we own. It almost seems counterintuitive that we are also very happy with Apple devices where we don't have that opportunity.

I really enjoy the customizable bits of Android. I grew up messing around with OS/2 and BeOS on an old computer just for fun. I was running those (really terrible in retrospect) tweaks for Windows 98. At the same time, I appreciate a refined, reliable device in my iPad mini where I don't feel the need to tweak everything. I could totally jailbreak it to change how notifications are handled or run emulators, but I'm also happy with the stable tablet that gives me 10+ hours of battery life.

It does make me wonder if I tweaked these things because I wasn't happy with whatever base I was using, or if it's just a different headspace.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@Vox:

Why is Hangouts "garbage"? It doesn't do SMS sure, but it's fantastic at a lot of other things. Available for and syncs instantly with Chrome (Windows/OS X/Linux), Gmail, Android, iOS, and Google+. Free HD video chat. "Hangouts on Air" for cross-posting to YouTube. Group messaging. Hundreds of fun and diverse emoji. Fantastic inline picture support. Free phone calls from PC, and can even invite phone numbers (singular and multiple) into normal video Hangouts.

50% of the reason I bought my parents Nexus 4's is to get them to use Hangouts on the go, lol. That's how much I love it.

i wonder how many ex-Apple users HTC could have kept if they only had a decent camera...

And was stock without HTC Sense...

Talon

i wonder how many ex-Apple users HTC could have kept if they only had a decent camera...
There was a really good article in (wait for it) Techcrunch (ah hahaha) breaking down the camera for the 5s - namely how Apple makes its own ISP and the True Tone Flash. I say that because I think Apple, Samsung (and presumably Nokia) are probably the only manufacturers that build their own Image Signal Processors and gives them an advantage over the other guys.*

I'm really interested in seeing the results of the True Tone Flash. I'm one of those guys that will not take a picture if I have to use the Flash because I'm a stickler about my photos. I can totally see Apple's solution effectively becoming standard on smart phones within two years.

*Edit: HTC does make its own ISP.

VoxPop

How so? Your criticism about inconsistent UI is mostly solved by stock Android. Holo Light is beautiful.

Had the GNex prior and Holo Light is in no ways beautiful. Even tried out the GPE rom on the One as well. The colors, menus and typography in Sense5 is way nicer than that terrible stock look. But yeah that's just my personal preference. I'm sure a lot of people like Stock too.

@Vox:

Why is Hangouts "garbage"? It doesn't do SMS sure, but it's fantastic at a lot of other things. Available for and syncs instantly with Chrome (Windows/OS X/Linux), Gmail, Android, iOS, and Google+. Free HD video chat. "Hangouts on Air" for cross-posting to YouTube. Group messaging. Hundreds of fun and diverse emoji. Fantastic inline picture support. Free phone calls from PC, and can even invite phone numbers (singular and multiple) into normal video Hangouts.

Hangouts is awesome.

RIP Tango.

RIP Fring.

RIP Oovoo.

Skype, you can stay... for now...

Groof

If only people I knew weren't so against thee idea of using Hangouts. It really is a stellar experience which will probably only get better!

VoxPop

@Vox:

50% of the reason I bought my parents Nexus 4's is to get them to use Hangouts on the go, lol. That's how much I love it.

And was stock without HTC Sense...

Its not necessarily garbage. Guess I should've worded it better. It just doesn't fit my needs. I'm not a huge fan of having people sign up for certain services (Hangouts (for pics,vids), WhatsApp, Line, etc) just so we can chat. Hangouts is wonderful for stuff like video chatting and group video and I use it but from a pure messaging standpoint, I prefer SMS and seamlessly going between that and iMessage for people who have iOS.
Most my friends are only logged into Gchat during the day due to work and while they can be notified, its so much easier just messaging them via iMessage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Had the GNex prior and Holo Light is in no ways beautiful. Even tried out the GPE rom on the One as well. The colors, menus and typography in Sense5 is way nicer than that terrible stock look. But yeah that's just my personal preference. I'm sure a lot of people like Stock too.

Really, typography? Hmm. From my point of view pretty much only Duarte/Android team cares about typography in the Android world. Do you just not like Roboto? Could you explain why Sense's typography is superior?

Hangouts is awesome.

RIP Tango.

RIP Fring.

RIP Oovoo.

Skype, you can stay... for now...

Skype can stay until video Hangouts is pluginless. Then it's adios.

Can't wait for Voice to completely integrate with Hangouts. Then it'll be the ultimate. No other chat client will be available for so many platforms and have so many features.

Fuck Skype

A-fricking-men.

VoxPop

Really, typography? Hmm. From my point of view pretty much only Duarte/Android team cares about typography in the Android world. Do you just not like Roboto? Could you explain why Sense's typography is superior?

Just a personal thing. I'm sure 95% of people don't care.

Shambles

If only people I knew weren't so against thee idea of using Hangouts. It really is a stellar experience which will probably only get better!

If hangouts wasn't dog shit once you get 4+ people in there people might actually use it. Also it's online/offline status notification system is the worst I've seen in any chat client. I shouldn't have to still be running a mumble server in this day and age. Garrr! And now that I think about it the noise cancellation system is awful as well. I don't know how they did it but Google made Skype look halfway decent.

Shambles

How do you mean

Once you get 4 people in a chat it start to automatically muting you whenever it thinks you are typing. So if you are needing to type while you talk, or if you have certain background noise you are constantly being muted. Also it does not even tell you when you are muted. Your entire conversation becomes "What?, Can you say that again? Can you say that again?" It doesn't tell you that it's doing this, and it doesn't let you turn it off either.

Groof

Once you get 4 people in a chat it start to automatically muting you whenever it thinks you are typing. So if you are needing to type while you talk, or if you have certain background noise you are constantly being muted. Also it does not even tell you when you are muted. Your entire conversation becomes "What?, Can you say that again? Can you say that again?" It doesn't tell you that it's doing this, and it doesn't let you turn it off either.
Oh you mean in actual video hangouts? Yeah never tried that with more than one person, so I wouldn't know.

jokkir

I wish video Hangouts used the same chat as the Hangouts Chrome app. You don't get the same emoticons, Hangouts (video) won't save your chat logs, and it's just lacking in features compared to the Chrome app.

I thought Google was supposed to merge all their chat clients together

Don't be intellectually dishonest, Faceless. Having a power button on top makes perfect sense on a 3.5" iPhone 4s. It doesn't on a 4.7" screen device.

"this sucks because its not like Apple"
"this sucks because its like Apple"

<3 BeOS

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish video Hangouts used the same chat as the Hangouts Chrome app. You don't get the same emoticons, Hangouts (video) won't save your chat logs, and it's just lacking in features compared to the Chrome app.

Yup, that's annoying. Hopefully it integrates soon.

yyzjohn

Banned

Hangouts needs to also integrate with SMS just like imessage does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom