• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

lets not go round and round again on stock vs skin. Lets stick to hangouts.

Two things.

I sent a few mass texts when i changed my phone number. I explicitly mentioned that it was a mass text and not to reply to all. 5 people replied to all, and they were all iphone users.

I have a few friends who have transitioned to hangouts from imessage because imessage destroyed their ability to receive sms or mms texts... these are not isolated reports either. Like most things apple, it works great between apple devices but its integration with the outside world is less then ideal

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
If anything, iOS 7 makes me glad I stuck with Android. I have it on my iPad and it's kind of ugly in a lot of places.
iOS 7 is nice on the surface as an aesthetic change but really, it doesn't seem to offer much new functionality (maybe I'm spoiled by the notification quick toggles in Android so the upgrades don't feel that new?) and just makes my mini feel super slow. All the transitions take too long and it feels like they're there to mask slow loading. The app switcher is awful, too.

It's a great little machine still, but will see how long I can hold out from just picking up a 2013 N7. Still prefer being able to copy stuff with AirDroid when I have a flight coming up.

On the topic of Hangouts, it still irks me that I can't see if people are online. I know it's meant to be like an SMS-style program which similarly doesn't show online statuses, but it's a weird difference coming from Talk. iMessage still trumps it, though. Animated GIF pasting!

Futureman

Verizon Response

nexus-7-lte_0.jpg

The Verge article says that if you stick in a SIM from an already registered and functional Verizon device, it will work with the Nexus 7.

Does this mean that when the Nexus 5 launches, I'll be able to take the SIM from my Galaxy Nexus and put it in the N5? Please please please.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Verge article says that if you stick in a SIM from an already registered and functional Verizon device, it will work with the Nexus 7.

Does this mean that when the Nexus 5 launches, I'll be able to take the SIM from my Galaxy Nexus and put it in the N5? Please please please.

No, because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice and GSM for data. The Nexus 7 is data only so it doesn't have a CDMA radio. You'd still need that to make phone calls

Fox318

If Google does this it would be so fucking ballsy.

Do it.

tino

Banned

And the Nexus Galaxy will still work with Verizon because its a CDMA device? There is no way in seven hell Verizon will allow that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On the topic of Hangouts, it still irks me that I can't see if people are online. I know it's meant to be like an SMS-style program which similarly doesn't show online statuses, but it's a weird difference coming from Talk. iMessage still trumps it, though. Animated GIF pasting!

Hangouts has online status... in the desktop version.

Hangouts also has animated GIFs inline... in the desktop version.

Lol.

I do wish they'd add online/offline to the Android app. No reason not to since the desktop version has it.

Futureman

plus the Nexus 5 doesn't have Band 13

Verge?

"Leaks so far suggest there will be at least two different Nexus 5 models. The model leaked last week (called LG-D820) had wireless radios that could support AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile LTE. The Nexus 5 photos above are part of a separate, updated filing for the LG G2 (LG-VS980), which mention support for LTE band 13, which is used by Verizon in the US."

or that's just for the LG G2? Confused.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/12/4723138/lg-nexus-5-photo-details-revealed-in-fcc-filing

No. The Nexus 5 that went through the FCC doesn't support Verizon's CDMA or LTE.

If Google does this it would be so fucking ballsy.

Do it.

See above. Also, it isn't ballsy that the Nexus 7 works on Verizon LTE. Verizon agreed to allow any device to use their spectrum when they bought it, hence all the drama today when they violated their agreement.

plus the Nexus 5 doesn't have Band 13

Indeed. Sorry, Verizon customers. You've never had a Nexus device, and you probably never will.

mturco

Hangouts has online status... in the desktop version.

Hangouts also has animated GIFs inline... in the desktop version.

Lol.

I do wish they'd add online/offline to the Android app. No reason not to since the desktop version has it.

What would be the point of having online/offline on a phone? Would you be able to send someone a message if they were offline? And if so, how is that any different from how it is now? (Also, you can see if they're viewing the conversation based on their icon/avatar.)

Doesn't iMessage work the same way anyway?

No. The Nexus 5 that went through the FCC doesn't support Verizon's CDMA or LTE.

See above. Also, it isn't ballsy that the Nexus 7 works on Verizon LTE. Verizon agreed to allow any device to use their spectrum when they bought it, hence all the drama today when they violated their agreement.

Indeed. Sorry, Verizon customers. You've never had a Nexus device, and you probably never will.

Gnex?

The $50 HTC One is really tempting but I feel like the nuances of Android will just annoy me like it did when I had a G2x...

Oh and I thought the One's camera was good?

Fox318

A man can believe.

The problem is that he bought a non-Nexus phone and then complains that the details aren't paid their diligence.

The packaging issue? "Solved" in the Nexus line.

The lock button? In the correct position on the Nexus 4.

The keyboard complaint? Completely invalidated by the default stock Google Keyboard. (Which he could easily install if he wasn't such a lazy tosser.)

Hell, he didn't even cop the Google Edition of the One. He got the inferior, bloated up, Sense-addled version.

It's like buying an iPhone 5C and complaining it's made of plastic and has worse specs.

I prefer Nexus devices (and the stock Android UI, look and feel) over all others, but it's not for everyone. Anyway, I don't think a Nexus device would have changed that dude's mind. He seems to have gone into the whole "trying Android" thing with a very pessimistic attitude, at least that's how it came off to me.

gcubed

I have to use Skype because of work. It's the worst.

my new job is a google shop, its awesome to use hangouts for chats and video conferences, google docs for collaboration, etc. Google FINALLY enabled HD hangouts though, took them way too long

Talon

I don't see how anyone can say the WebOS-style app switcher isn't great. The fact that the app icon and screenshot are on different bands is a great idea. Super useful.
my new job is a google shop, its awesome to use hangouts for chats and video conferences, google docs for collaboration, etc. Google FINALLY enabled HD hangouts though, took them way too long
God. This is my goddamn dream. Skype's desktop app is horrendous. The iOS and Android apps have the least intelligent notifications of any messaging platform in the world.

Plus the video quality has gotten progressively worse since Microsoft snatched them up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What would be the point of having online/offline on a phone? Would you be able to send someone a message if they were offline? And if so, how is that any different from how it is now? (Also, you can see if they're viewing the conversation based on their icon/avatar.)

Doesn't iMessage work the same way anyway?

You can send people offline messages today, from any of the Hangout apps/extensions... What do you mean?

And viewing the convo isn't the same as them being online. The former has a small chance of happening, the latter is more general.

mturco

You can send people offline messages today, from any of the Hangout apps/extensions... What do you mean?

And viewing the convo isn't the same as them being online. The former has a small chance of happening, the latter is more general.

I guess I just don't understand the rationale for wanting online/offline statuses. What do you gain there?

and remember, it was Google who lobbied for the openness clause on that spectrum and Google bid over the threshold that made it open.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I guess. You figure it out pretty quickly after they either respond quickly or don't, though lol.

Well it's the difference between a nice, easily readable Hangout and a bunch of "Hey, you there?" "Are you on?" "You online?" a bunch of times in a row.

mturco

Well it's the difference between a nice, easily readable Hangout and a bunch of "Hey, you there?" "Are you on?" "You online?" a bunch of times in a row.

Hmm I guess I just use it like I would texting because I never send/get any messages like that. Anyway, I think we can agree it'd be 10x better with SMS integration. Make it happen already, Google.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/16/twttr-is-interesting/

I brought up MG Siegler before and I want to rant that this is exactly the kind of self-indulgent wankfest I was talking about. He manages to take the Twitter IPO and make it entirely about himself. "I was covering Twitter before it was cool. I was user #652,193!"

Ugh. Don't get me started on his inane "An iPhone User's Take on..." Just thinking about it gets me ragey.

Cipherr

Let me be clear that I found nothing in particluar wrong with the Android device. (Except maybe the keyboard, that really was a pain.) Simply put, it lacked the magic that Apple products are known for.

Yeah.... the magic. That cannot be quantified ever by anyone ever.

Opinion invalidated. I mean, he was upset because the HTC charger folds into a straight line, while the Apple charger folds into a circle... Thats not a joke BTW, he seriously tried to use that as a big deal:

Yeah..... troll article for sure.

mturco

I like how he linked to the blog post from that other iPhone user that switched to Android and found it way better and this guy didn't address any of his reasons at all. Instead he only gave it a day and decided out of laziness to give up and call it unmagical. Worthwhile opinion for sure.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
or you could just send the actual message...

If it's time sensitive, that might not be the best option.

Sending "Hey, want to meet at this place?" at 6 could be invalid if it's read at 7. The person it's sent to could end up going to that place, only for the person who sent it not to be there since they didn't get a reply. Stuff like that.

It's information that's being subtracted for no real reason.

Talon

God damn at that Anand iPhone 5s review. Dat Sunspider.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/16/twttr-is-interesting/

I brought up MG Siegler before and I want to rant that this is exactly the kind of self-indulgent wankfest I was talking about. He manages to take the Twitter IPO and make it entirely about himself. "I was covering Twitter before it was cool. I was user #652,193!"

Ugh. Don't get me started on his inane "An iPhone User's Take on..." Just thinking about it gets me ragey.
Oh, he's a pompous cunt. But he's also a quality writer and is occasionally very insightful.

He's doing something right. He works for Google Ventures.

If it's time sensitive, that might not be the best option.

Sending "Hey, want to meet at this place?" at 6 could be invalid if it's read at 7. The person it's sent to could end up going to that place, only for the person who sent it not to be there since they didn't get a reply. Stuff like that.

It's information that's being subtracted for no real reason.
That doesn't make sense to me. In one scenario, it's 5pm and you ask him to meet at 6. You get no response for 10 minutes so you try to call him. In the other scenario, you ask "hey, are you online?" You get no response for 10 minutes so you have to call him anyway. It's the same thing.

Instant messaging is an ongoing cnversation, at least in the way I use it. There's no hi, bye, are you there, or anything like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
God damn at that Anand iPhone 5s review. Dat Sunspider.
Oh, he's a pompous cunt. But he's also a quality writer and is occasionally very insightful.

He's doing something right. He works for Google Ventures.

I'm reminded of a Kevin Smith quote.

"In Hollywood you just kind of fail upwards."

It's remarkable how close Silicon Valley is to Hollywood. From my angle, Siegler went from the "film industry," to coding at a startup, to jerking himself off on blogs, to a cushy Google Ventures job that probably just involves a lot of meet and greets, some light phone calling, and raking in dat Google dough. It seems like he kept going to progressively easier jobs, and now he's just basically selling himself out to startups. "Startups, you need my advice and (Google's) money. I'm MG fuckin' Siegler!"

For the record, when he's not jerking himself off in his "articles" I find his writing to be passable. Blog-quality. Gruber I would concede as a good writer, although he's an even worse Apple zealot.

For example, this excerpt:

Then came the downtime. The dark days. Twitter nearly fulfilled the fate that so many had laid out for it because it was simply unusable a not insignificant amount of any given day. And yet somehow, it emerged. And then it really started to gain steam.

You can claim it's stylistic, but I call it bad writing.

Talon

Of the Apple-files, I actually enjoy reading Marco Arment for his dev insights. Gruber's four times a year actual articles have some good insight in them, usually. And he's a good, concise writer - makes sense since he worked at a newspaper as an IT guy originally.

MG I stopped following on Twitter after about 3 days because of his pompous assitude.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah.... the magic. That cannot be quantified ever by anyone ever.

Opinion invalidated. I mean, he was upset because the HTC charger folds into a straight line, while the Apple charger folds into a circle... Thats not a joke BTW, he seriously tried to use that as a big deal:

Yeah..... troll article for sure.

Love how he says the keyboard isn't "intuitive" but gives no concrete examples of what he's talking about.

Man, app developers' commitment to Apple is impressive. Tons of apps are already getting the iOS 7 look and feel while most of their Android equivalents are still on a Gingerbread UI with legacy menu buttons.

Groof

Man, app developers' commitment to Apple is impressive. Tons of apps are already getting the iOS 7 look and feel while most of their Android equivalents are still on a Gingerbread UI with legacy menu buttons.

Worse yet, apps that are just straight ports of their iOS equivalent. That seriously pisses me off.

OK, it's a new day. What Nexus 5 leak will we get next?

1. Photo samples?
2. Battery mah confirmation for the near-final hardware? (sometimes, FCC versions have lower battery capacity)
3. Storage capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom