• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've decided to just suck it up and buy the new N4 if it's a similar price. I mean, I can still sell this N4 for like $200, no? I still like the current N4 better, aesthetic wise.

OK, I'm still undecided. Hurry up and announce it already, Google.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

snacknuts

we all knew her
How about Cyanogen splitting to build a better version of Android?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4...-million-to-build-the-best-version-of-android

Was just coming in here to post this. Good for them. Also, this made me laugh:
"There’s always been lot of talk around who’s going to be the third dominant mobile computing platform," says McMaster, who previously co-founded Boost Mobile. "Windows Phone would probably be number three now. If you look at what our actual user base is, we might be equal to or greater than that."

kehs

Banned
Interesting. But why? If Google cuts off its apps, devs have to submit to another Store, no Gmail, Hangouts, etc. Sounds like a pain. I still like the idea. Let's see if Google decides to stop AOSP.

Why would they cut them off. CM has always adhered to AOSP.

All they need to do is get legit with the licensing. I don't see them forking android to a point where it's not AOSPcetic.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all the additions from CM become premium features instead of just free for all open source. Anderwebs realized this early on with ADW+, and it looks like the CM guys finally got the lightbulb turned on.

Good for them, I say, they've done a shitload of awesome work.

panda21

i think this is pretty bad news for cyanogenmod. the real reason so many people install cyanogenmod is that its generally the best near stock android ROM on a lot of devices because all the good low level hackery type people who can hack the firmware and do stuff like make ICS run on a phone before samsung release it 'work' voluntarily for cyanogenmod as a hobby.

like on the SGS2, there were AOSP roms too, but I used cyanogen because they seemed to be the hackers who new what they were doing best, not because of any changes cyanogenmod made to AOSP.

their actual modifications to AOSP are very minor, and don't really indicate any kind of ability at large scale software engineering or UX design, just making small changes to the AOSP launcher and stuff. most of the good work they did was behind the scenes stuff to make some obscure audio chip's firmware run on ICS or whatever.

make it into a company and you lose all those hackers who were doing it as a hobby, and they move onto AOKP or something, and what is left?

plus their statements are super contradictory (although I don't really see what they are talking about with the cash register thing):
"The mobile devices out there, they’re just not meant for anybody to use," Kondik says. "They’re essentially mobile cash registers. We want to help you get stuff done, and use these things to their fullest potential."
The company plans to keep its firmware free. So how will it become profitable? McMaster and Kondik say they have many ideas for generating revenue, but declined to discuss them in depth. "If you’re the default OS on a device and you have 50 million users, there are a lot of ways to make money," McMaster says. "It’s not just about building a user base. It’s about building great services you can’t get anywhere else."

Sora_N

I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday, love it so far. I upgraded from a HTC Desire Z which used like Android 2.3. Is there a way to set lock screen widgets other than swipe lock? Every other option prevents me from doing anything cool on my lock screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
what CM does will affect such a tiny minority of devices, i dont think anyone cares

Which is funny because as they said they probably have as many users as WP. :p

Anyways I think this will actually work out well for them, but you can put me in the remains to be seen category of just how this will all eventually shake out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love that Facebook can update their app in time for iOS 7 launch but can't figure out Android 2 years after ICS.

To be fair ask me a year or so ago and I would have bitched about FB. I got no real problems with the current version though.

Maybe it's because I'm on the beta track? IDK... runs fine and doesn't hang on loading like it use to for me.

jokkir

To be fair ask me a year or so ago and I would have bitched about FB. I got no real problems with the current version though.

Maybe it's because I'm on the beta track? IDK... runs fine and doesn't hang on loading like it use to for me.

Facebook still runs like trash for me. It was good for the 2.0 update but then slowly went back to crap after a few more updates. I don't know what happened and it happens on several devices I used.

I'm on beta too. The main news feed looks fine. Start going anywhere else and the entire app design falls apart.

1. Click any of the status extras like add friend, location, "what you are doing", or the privacy/audience settings. All these menus look poorly designed and straight up ugly.

2. The photo selector is straight out of iOS. Seriously?

3. The check in and nearby places don't even look the same but they show the same information. Why? The nearby places menu in the sidebar looks like it still uses the Gingerbread loading circle.

4. Sliding an empty comments "bubble" causes the "no comments" image and text to go INTO the text entry box.

5. ANY kind of animation still jank as shit.

I can go on but basically the entire app outside of the news feed looks like it was just forgotten about.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Did you guys read Ars' Technica's G2 review? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Screenshot_2013-09-14-19-10-14-640x85.jpg

Verizon replaced the standard black theme for the system bar with this. Yes, you read that right.

kehs

Banned
LG lets you tweak the system bar as well. You can change the button order and even add a shortcut to open the notification panel or open LG's QuickMemo app. You can switch between flat white, flat black, gradient white, and gradient black. The most "normal" and most popular option would probably be flat black, but on the Verizon version, that has been replaced with a fluffy, pink, quilted option. (At times, it feels like they are almost actively trolling their customer base.)

Stop giving your money to verizon people. what the fuck

Jesus fucking christ LG:

2013-09-11-18.55-640x582.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Everything mentioned in that review is correct about LG's software design

it's like a low-level Windows Mobile theme from XDA

Did you guys read Ars' Technica's G2 review? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Screenshot_2013-09-14-19-10-14-640x85.jpg

Verizon replaced the standard black theme for the system bar with this. Yes, you read that right.

*reads review*

The other thing they messed up is the keyboard number pad, which pops up in forms that flag a field as "numbers only." They completely omitted the decimal point, comma, and minus sign (all often necessary when entering numbers). Typing "16.94" into this field with LG's keyboard is just impossible. You'd have to switch to another keyboard.
lol

It's things like that which make me think "this Cyanogen going more serious may be a good thing".

Like, much easier install, getting real competition on OS? May get carriers/manufacturers to up their game with updates/bloatware, if it's really accessible to get off their OS. And if they switch from what's on their phone, they may not use some of your non-shit services you want them too...

Pipe dream of course

And nothing's gonna stop Verizon, christ alive

Toki767

COLOURS! The operating system.

Android needs a real makeover with 4.4 and I don't think its going to get it. Holo dark needs to just.. die. Holo light is so much nicer, imo.
I would have understood sticking to Holo dark if the Nexus lines used AMOLED screens but since Samsung isn't exactly taking advantage of the dark tones of stock Android with Touchwiz, there doesn't seem like a reason to not go with light over dark.

Crisco

Banned
Best part of having switched to Android? I was doing some house keeping on my PC the other day and came across all these iTunes related folders and files. All these memories of the absolute hell involved in migrating my iTunes library between OS installations came flooding back. It felt so good to just laugh and delete it all.

Threi

notag
COLOURS! The operating system.

Android needs a real makeover with 4.4 and I don't think its going to get it. Holo dark needs to just.. die. Holo light is so much nicer, imo.
All notifications stay holo dark (with the icons being white instead of fucking BLUE), all settings and apps are holo light/cards.

Husker86

apparently this is what passes for progress

You know, I say "whatever" to most of the design changes, but then I say "what the fuck" to the Newsstand and Game Center icons.

Still getting one because I want to learn development for iOS. But my GS4 will still be my main phone.

Groof

The more I look at that iOS 7 screenshot the more of a clusterfuck it looks like. Honestly, design-wise it's all over the place. Animations and whatnot are cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom