• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
hai.gif

Cipherr

This is nothing but horse shit at this point.

DAY 1, iOS devs have their apps ready to conform to the new design guideslines.

Well iOS7 has been kicking around since earlier this year. Its just that they beta it. Those developers have had months to line up their designs. And not every app (by a long shot) is updated for iOS7. There are plenty of Holo apps, but there was no multiple month lead in beta for everyone to 'get ready' for the ICS launch. Noone knew it was coming, and devs weren't hand fed guidelines months in advance to prepare with.

A new version of android and new design guidelines just fall out of the sky one day and go live immediately. No beta, no nothing. So unless they add a beta to upcoming Android versions there will never be a line of apps waiting to push visual overhauls day 1.

The two OS's just work completely different.

what does it mean when you say android ROM ? What does the ROM stand for ?

came across the term when reading about Cyanogen.

the device's OS/firmware/System Partition. the term ROM comes from back in the early days of WinMo/PalmOS etc when the device's FlashROM was not user writable and data was stored in RAM.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Only 2 GB RAM in the new Nexus 4? Weak. That means I'd want to upgrade again in 2014. Right now I'm content.

Nesotenso

the device's OS/firmware/System Partition. the term ROM comes from back in the early days of WinMo/PalmOS etc when the device's FlashROM was not user writable and data was stored in RAM.

thanks for the explanation.

so ok more questions if anyone in this community can answer.

- if my understanding is right, most handset manufacturers load any iteration of android with their custom apps and slightly different UIs ?
so these android ROMs like the cyanogen mod solve this issue by releasing versions close to the intended version ? is there any way to upgrade to the latest versions like jellybean latest update when you buy a handset while getting rid of a manufacturer's modifications.

Everyone in the iOS 7 thread saying their 4S's run fine on it, pffft. I installed the official release and its just as bad as the beta. My One has spoiled me with its snapiness.

Toki767

Everyone in the iOS 7 thread saying their 4S's run fine on it, pffft. I installed the official release and its just as bad as the beta. My One has spoiled me with its snapiness.

I installed it on my iPod Touch that has the iPhone 5 internals. It's really not very snappy. It seems like Apple focused too much on making nice animations rather than quickly going from one app to another.

I find it funny because people praise Apple for their responsive UI and piss on Android for how much judder there is, but now with iOS7, suddenly it's just everything is fine or it's good enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I find it funny because people praise Apple for their responsive UI and piss on Android for how much judder there is, but now with iOS7, suddenly it's just everything is fine or it's good enough.

Actually David Pierce at the Verge called it out for that, I was pleasantly surprised. (And not just on iPhone 4S, the OS's animation itself.)

Husker86

so with all this super cheap moto X talk. How terrible is sprint? (I'm coming from vzw)

If you don't have LTE in your area, it's pretty bad. CDMA 3G is nothing great on either VZW or Sprint, but Sprint's is, a lot of the time, a new level of disappointing.

I don't have experience with their LTE but I'm sure it's fine even if the speed isn't on the level of the other carriers.

This is nothing but horse shit at this point.

DAY 1, iOS devs have their apps ready to conform to the new design guideslines. Its been almost TWO YEARS since ICS and we still have apps with gingerbread stylings. Its completely god damn insane.

It's really crazy. I got 15 app updates in line, from one day to the other. All of them are iOS 7 related. Shit, I didn't even know I had that many apps on my iPad.

My god, the grind after level 4 in Ingress.

why.jpg

Brilliant idea, google. Let's double it every level. Because I totally want to re-gain 150k AP to get to level 6.

...Seven and eight are going to kill me.

Groof

Isn't this just par for the course with anyone who's a fan of something? Piss on the other guys for some bull, and then when they receive the same bull they get shakey and accept it.

DXPett1

My god, the grind after level 4 in Ingress.

why.jpg

Brilliant idea, google. Let's double it every level. Because I totally want to re-gain 150k AP to get to level 6.

...Seven and eight are going to kill me.

After 5 it's easy. Your XMPs start actually doing something. Farm and hit your local cbd and smash all the portals and then deploy like crazy. Cbds tend to be hotly contended grounds so don't worry about perfect deployment. Just go crazy deploying resonators. Putting the last resi on a portal is cheap AP as is deploying the first

Cheebo

Banned
I installed it on my iPod Touch that has the iPhone 5 internals. It's really not very snappy. It seems like Apple focused too much on making nice animations rather than quickly going from one app to another.

There aren't any iPod touches that have iPhone 5 internals. The newest iPod touches still run the A5's from 2011. The thing is very snappy and speedy on iPhone 5.

Basically don't use a 2+ year old iOS device with the new iOS. Same logic applies to Android with Jelly Bean. And was the case with iOS 6 last year on iPhone 4. Using 2+ year old smartphones with a brand new OS is never going to work out great. Regardless of which OS you side with. And has been the case for a while now.

Judging iOS7 by using how it runs on 4S is absurd, that's like judging Android by how it runs on a Galaxy S 2.

Doopliss

It's a two-week old render from The Verge's forums: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/6/4701258/nexus-5-visualised

Blogs.

Judging iOS7 by using how it runs on 4S is absurd, that's like judging Android by how it runs on a Galaxy S 2.
From the sound of it the 4S runs worse with iOS7. On my GS2 new Android versions have either improved performance (4.0 and 4.1) or had no noticeable impact upon it (4.2 and 4.3).

Cheebo

Banned
Not saying it's bad, just saying it's not good on the 4S.

Its like me sitting here saying everything is fine on a vzw galaxy nexus

Exactly. When judging a new OS it is best to not be basing it off of hardware that is over 2 years old I would say.

Zeppu

I think the point of this is more that Apple pushes iOS updates to older phones and it tends to remove features and make phones less usable.
Android manufacturers tend to abandon 2-3 year old phones but even when they don't all features are available and they more or less run as well as on a new phone.

From the sound of it the 4S runs worse with iOS7. On my GS2 new Android versions have either improved performance (4.0 and 4.1) or had no noticeable impact upon it (4.2 and 4.3).

Probably because your GS2 didn't run that well to begin with. The performance on my Galaxy Nexus dropped after installing 4.2 and 4.3 didn't make it better.

Ephemeris

There aren't any iPod touches that have iPhone 5 internals. The newest iPod touches still run the A5's from 2011. The thing is very snappy and speedy on iPhone 5..

More notably, the 5th Gen iPod touch has half the ram of the iPhone 5.

tino

Banned
I think the point of this is more that Apple pushes iOS updates to older phones and it tends to remove features and make phones less usable.
Android manufacturers tend to abandon 2-3 year old phones but even when they don't all features are available and they more or less run as well as on a new phone.

I think people need to learn to stop installing new updates on older hardware. I don't run 4.1 on my Galaxy Note because I don't want to give up speed for minimal feature gain.

Okay so I have a .edu email that runs off Gmail. I can login on my browser, on my iOS Gmail app but not in the android Gmail app. It just says invalid password.

Any fixes?
No double Auth on the account

mackattk

I know I have had luck installing a custom rom with the newest android version with success on an older phone. Although the rom was slimmed down and optimized for the hardware, it worked out well and was nice to get the new features from the latest android version.

Hieberrr

Hey guys, Im looking for the best Exchange email client available. I am currently using the stock Email app for work and for some reason, the fonts are ugly as hell and so is the signature. Quoting previous emails also seems to work, albeit not very well as formatting is extremely messed up.

I NEEDS HALP.

Laekon

Hey guys, Im looking for the best Exchange email client available. I am currently using the stock Email app for work and for some reason, the fonts are ugly as hell and so is the signature. Quoting previous emails also seems to work, albeit not very well as formatting is extremely messed up.

I NEEDS HALP.
I've asked this before and there doesn't seem to be one. My main issue is the stock app isn't synced 100%. It shows older emails I've read and filed on my PC as unread all the time.

mackattk

I NEEDS HALP.

You can try Touchdown, see how that works for you. There is a free version, but I think it is just a trial. Haven't really looked into it much.

Enhanced Email is supposed to be pretty good as well, although it doesn't seem like there is a trial/free version.

Has anyone upgraded through Best Buy? I jumped on that HTC One deal, and the only option was to "Keep My Existing Plan". Does this mean I will still have Unlimited (doubt it), or is there something else that will happen when I go to pick up/activate?

Pretty much giving up on trying to keep my unlimited. Wife needs a new phone and mine is nearing grim death.

Can't say I disagree with the visual part. It really is all over the place and inconsistent, and I love, love my iPad.

I don't get it. The last part makes it sound like he thinks iOS 7 is still more efficient than Android.

Though I guess this one helps to explain things.

https://twitter.com/joshuatopolsky/status/380394863797477376

No, it's just poorly written. He meant going back to iOS after coming from Android is work-inhibiting, meaning iOS is inefficient and slow.

Speaking on the subject of iOS 7 my wife JUST commented on how it feels like there's a delay with everything on her iPad. I feel bad for updating her now...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really like iOS7 visually speaking. It's so light, airy, and refreshing. I agree on it being inefficient, though. It feels so compartmentalized. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom