• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Anyone posted this 5.0 concept video yet? I now LOVE the idea of somehow integrating notifications with Google Now...seems so obvious in hindsight...

Android 5.0 Concept

Oh god I really hope not. Google Now blows. Just keep it optional for the people who want to use it.

I'm hoping for a cleaner, simpler, less Tron-like UI as well. Better appropriate icon mask sizing.

Better lockscreen notifications and design. I actually like the active notifications on the Moto X though.

Death of widgets.

A clean, non intrusive 'spotlight' like feature built in.

The ability to customize without using launchers.

A better Hangouts with auto SMS integration and switching ala iMessage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh god I really hope not. Google Now blows. Just keep it optional for the people who want to use it.

I'm hoping for a cleaner, simpler, less Tron-like UI as well. Better appropriate icon mask sizing.

Better lockscreen notifications and design. I actually like the active notifications on the Moto X though.

Death of widgets.

Gtfo... Widgets need to live!!!!!!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Gtfo... Widgets need to live!!!!!!
Agree, widgets are great for music, podcasts and twitter, etc..

What Google need to do is redesign & mandate a standard widget app drawer design. Apps with 5-6 different size widgets stuffing up the drawer is down right ugly.

Death of widgets.

Have you considered Windows Phone 8?

What Google need to do is redesign & mandate a standard widget app drawer design. Apps with 5-6 different size widgets stuffing up the drawer is down right ugly.
LOL

They didn't even mandate a standard button layout.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, I waited a bit longer and T-Mobile worked just fine. I ordered a Sim directly from them and eventually I was able to get the $30 100 minutes, Unlimited Text/Web plan!

I guess I was just being impatient!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why so venomous? Honest question BTW.
I don't like their entrepreneurial venture when a large portion of their work stands on the backs of people who won't profit. Or even want to.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mm probably the only time was around when the Dell Venue Pro was around and when the 920 first came out. It seems like a decent enough OS but the lack of apps is just too much.

Google Talk was better than Hangouts imo.

Put the crack down and walk away.

tino

Banned
Wow a 1600x1200 4:3 8? inch HP tablet called Slate8 with Tegra 4.

When is any Windows8 8" table getting high re screen?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Put the crack down and walk away.

KuGsj.gif
You know it's bad when Brett says stuff like this.

Man fuck Google for not having a Google Voice app in Canada. I need to make some international calls but I don't want to put money into shitty Skype and I don't want to put money into Google Voice/Hangouts when I can't even use it from my phone/tablet.

DarkFlow

Banned
Man fuck Google for not having a Google Voice app in Canada. I need to make some international calls but I don't want to put money into shitty Skype and I don't want to put money into Google Voice/Hangouts when I can't even use it from my phone/tablet.

Sideload the APK and use this. I don't if it even works, but it's worth a try at least.

Nicktendo86

I don't like their entrepreneurial venture when a large portion of their work stands on the backs of people who won't profit. Or even want to.
Word, the whole thing goes against what cm is all about. I'm all for making it easier to flash and one click solutions but not what they are trying to do.

Threi

notag

Action Launcher does widgets right.

Groof

Anyone posted this 5.0 concept video yet? I now LOVE the idea of somehow integrating notifications with Google Now...seems so obvious in hindsight...

Android 5.0 Concept
This looked pretty damn slick, but I don't know if the notification shade is the right place for Google now cards. Also please oh please no changing notification bar colour. Seriously, do people like that? Looks absolutely horrid in iOS and would probably look just as bad in android.

Doopliss

Interesting G+ post by Xplodwild, the developer of Focal and one of the primary Exynos device maintainers.
I remained silent about the whole Focal relicensing troubles for now. There was a lot of drama between the app being GPL, and the fact Cyanogen Inc wanted to use it, which drove some frustration between me, some CM contributors, and CM leaders. As a result, to avoid any problem, Focal has been removed from CyanogenMod. I think you deserve explanations and “behind the scenes” view on how all of this happened, and to know it’s not just a last-minute decision or ragequit.

This is the true, fully-featured story of the “Focal drama”. It's not a rant about how Cyanogen Inc is bad or anything (and it can be a good thing, with a few conditions, see at the end of the post), but just an insight on how this all happened, and how some people were and are feeling.

People losing there shit over waiting on e-mails, did I get a gold one, BB charges $50 more but I can get it tomorrow even though I ordered 2 already, etc. You know, Normal iPhone launch day stuff.

oh yeah, the Exchange ActiveSync debacle is gonna be huge now. wonder how many iPhone users will switch to Outlook. MS should be pushing PR out to get people to switch.

GatorBait

I thought the "multitasking stacks" idea was cool (though not necessarily easier). A lot of people have suggest integrated Google Now into the notification shade or the launcher. I think it could work as maybe a page on the launcher, but I'm not a fan of Google Now cards being in the notification shade which is for notifications.

Notifications are supposed to be quick and simple and I feel like integrating Google Now into it would just complicate things and make it less easy to just quickly look at your notifications.

That's hideous. It looks cluttered and unusable.

This looked pretty damn slick, but I don't know if the notification shade is the right place for Google now cards. Also please oh please no changing notification bar colour. Seriously, do people like that? Looks absolutely horrid in iOS and would probably look just as bad in android.

I think Google would need to figure out a way to make it look less cluttered (because right now the notification shade looks real smooth and professional), but the idea is smart since there is a lot of overlap between notifications and Google Now already. I already get Google Now notifications in my notification shade and I get items that are in the notification shade in Google Now (e.g., calendar items, reminders, traffic).

Also, I'm guessing most people look in there notification shade the most out of any part of their phone throughout a typical day of usage. Since Google Now is supposed to give you information you'll want, why not put it where you are looking the most? Maybe a good compromise is expanding the type of regular, non-active Google Now notifications you get in your notification shade already?

mturco

I think Google would need to figure out a way to make it look less cluttered (because right now the notification shade looks real smooth and professional), but the idea is smart since there is a lot of overlap between notifications and Google Now already. I already get Google Now notifications in my notification shade and I get items that are in the notification shade in Google Now (e.g., calendar items, reminders, traffic).

Also, I'm guessing most people look in there notification shade the most out of any part of their phone throughout a typical day of usage. Since Google Now is supposed to give you information you'll want, why not put it where you are looking the most? Maybe a good compromise is expanding the type of regular, non-active Google Now notifications you get in your notification shade already?

That's a good point but notifications are "what happened" and Google Now is more "what's going to happen" so it'd be mixing two different things. Really my main problem with Google Now is that it's not fast enough (and I have an HTC One running stock 4.3). It'd be cool if Google Now was a "shade" you pulled up from the bottom of the screen (kind of like iOS7's Control Center).

panda21

this kind of confirms my initial reaction to it.. without this stuff what even is cyanogenmod?

some minor modifications to AOSP that any vendor could do themselves in like an hour or two, and a bunch of technically illegal for them to distribute drivers from Samsung, NVIDIA etc with kernel hacks to make them work.

They turn a blind eye to it for now but I doubt it will stay that way unless they make deals with every device manufacturer, in which case the kernel hacks are no longer necessary, and all thats left is single pressing notification shade toggle to toggle rather than going to the settings menu..

Groof

While there definitely is a lot of overlap, the general idea of the notification shade is to give you quick information at a glance, with the option of more with expandable notifications. If it looked like the Google Now cards it'd be way too cluttered and leave you with a lot of things you might not even care about (i.e. the nearby restaurant cards), as well as removing focus from the proper notifications (messages, emails, phone calls etc.)
What mturco said is pretty much spot on, notifications are what happened and Google Now is what's going to happen. Two different scenarios.

gcubed

That's a good point but notifications are "what happened" and Google Now is more "what's going to happen" so it'd be mixing two different things. Really my main problem with Google Now is that it's not fast enough (and I have an HTC One running stock 4.3). It'd be cool if Google Now was a "shade" you pulled up from the bottom of the screen (kind of like iOS7's Control Center).

What is not fast enough for you. I have the same phone and it's damn near instant

__arbiter

Banned

Death of widgets.

You really love Google don't you?

yyzjohn

Banned

Death of widgets.

To me it sounds like you don't really like Android. Google Now and widgets are two of the best features in my opinion and they're not going away.

So are we expecting that some of the more intuitive aspects of the Moto X are going to make their way into Kit Kat, or do we think they'll stay exclusive to the X?

mturco

What is not fast enough for you. I have the same phone and it's damn near instant
The app launches immediately but there's at least a half second delay before all the cards are loaded. It's like it's not loading them in the background and has to reload them every time you launch it. It would be cool if you could just swipe up from the bottom of the phone and all the cards were already there with no delay.

gcubed

The app launches immediately but there's at least a half second delay before all the cards are loaded. It's like it's not loading them in the background and has to reload them every time you launch it. It would be cool if you could just swipe up from the bottom of the phone and all the cards were already there with no delay.

ah, well i came from a galaxy nexus where it took minimum 5 seconds to show anything once opening it

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Yeah, that's annoying. Why those cards aren't loaded already is beyond me. It makes me less likely to use it. I also wish the cards were more prominent. I'm not always checking Now. Maybe make the home button change color slightly when there's something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom