• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
*crickets*

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how anyone can be excited for this CM monstrosity after reading this:

Hey I even said before this dropped in the Android Hangout it might be time to bail to AOKP.

That being said a shit ton of people including Google has taken a big shit all over GPL. It's infuriating, but companies know they can get away with it because of the whole we are a big corp so we can out muscle/money a single person complaining.

Groof

Yet the thing I'm still the angriest about is the fact that the Korean keyboard still doesn't have a fucking language switch key. Hell, they JUST in the latest update made the settings menu the default gradient colour! It used to be all black and lag when scrolling.
/angryrant

Threi

notag
YESSSSS finally getting rid of the stupid goddamn BLUE in the notification bar.

It was there for too damn long. Make stuff like that either user-changeable or colour-neutral.

It was awful for people like me who don't like blue, or want to have a wallpaper that isn't blue. Just clashes with it.

mturco

ah, well i came from a galaxy nexus where it took minimum 5 seconds to show anything once opening it
Same here. Miss those onscreen buttons though.

Yeah, that's annoying. Why those cards aren't loaded already is beyond me. It makes me less likely to use it. I also wish the cards were more prominent. I'm not always checking Now. Maybe make the home button change color slightly when there's something new.
That's actually a really good idea.

Can anyone suggest any addons for google maps that will improve how it handles bookmarks / destinations?

I used to use my Nokia for a sat nav and it worked pretty much flawlessly, but now I've switched to a Nexus 4 and I'm stuck with google maps. It works ok (assuming I have a connection) but it only seems to let me save destinations that are "places".

What I really need to be able to do is save a set of co-ordinates with a name so that I can navigate to it again later (these places are often in the middle of no-where). Anything out there that will help? Don't really want to have to keep my old phone around for GPS duties.

Cipherr

YESSSSS finally getting rid of the stupid goddamn BLUE in the notification bar.

It was there for too damn long. Make stuff like that either user-changeable or colour-neutral.

It was awful for people like me who don't like blue, or want to have a wallpaper that isn't blue. Just clashes with it.

I like it, but it being color neutral makes sense. It doesnt currently look right with Holo Light or the cards UI that they use now.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
They supposedly shipped Sept 6th, but I've been looking for weeks in NYC. Nothing.

Wow Sept 6th? I haven't seen any either and I've been looking every time I've been at several different grocery stores.

I'm in Ontario, Canada though.

Edit- on a side not I wish they had a Chunky sized kit kat bar. Like 4 kit cat chunkys as one bar lol

Anyone know of any reviews for that new Virgin Mobile Supreme phone by chance? Debating between that or a Galaxy (on the same network obviously). From the stats the Supreme has a better battery life, but I'm weary of the brand since I've ever heard of ZTE.

I love ios7 on my ipad tbh. Really slick for the most part. Love a lot of the touches. Way better than before but still needs some work.

no nexus 5 rumours today?

Anyone know of any reviews for that new Virgin Mobile Supreme phone by chance? Debating between that or a Galaxy (on the same network obviously). From the stats the Supreme has a better battery life, but I'm weary of the brand since I've ever heard of ZTE.
haven't seen any reviews yet, but a lot of these prepaid phones get reviews late or not at all...

haven't seen any reviews yet, but a lot of these prepaid phones get reviews late or not at all...

Yeah, I've noticed that. All I really want to know is if the camera is better or worse than on the Galaxy 2/3. I know Samsung does cameras in their phones quite nicely, but I'm waiting to see if this other one with more megapixels can compete or if the bigger number is simply there for "stats".

mturco

HTC One owners running stock...

Are you guys running CM or a Google Play Edition ROM? I've been using CM since I bought it but I'm considering switching because of the whole CM Inc ordeal. Can anybody comment on whether it's as smooth (or smoother) than CM?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Goddamn Vergecast thrashing iOS7 right now

LtNDbKz.png

... but they gave it an 8

Adjust for the Verge Curve and you'd get an actual score of 2 or 3.

fritolay

Anyone posted this 5.0 concept video yet? I now LOVE the idea of somehow integrating notifications with Google Now...seems so obvious in hindsight...

Android 5.0 Concept

When they mention Google Now, inside apps like messaging, this is what I think of. Advertisements everywhere! I hope I am wrong, but if Google Now brings advertisements that litter everything I am going to be ticked off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When they mention Google Now, inside apps like messaging, this is what I think of. Advertisements everywhere! I hope I am wrong, but if Google Now brings advertisements that litter everything I am going to be ticked off.

...you think Google Now, as it exists today, includes advertising?

gcubed

Are you guys running CM or a Google Play Edition ROM? I've been using CM since I bought it but I'm considering switching because of the whole CM Inc ordeal. Can anybody comment on whether it's as smooth (or smoother) than CM?

I run gpe stock. I thoroughly dislike CM from previous experiences and the Google updates are faster then CM.

Toki767

I was actually thinking of getting an HTC One or S4 to run the GPE on it since it's probably cheaper buying on contract than paying $600 for it.

fritolay

...you think Google Now, as it exists today, includes advertising?

I think yes now based on this - If you are going to get game scores, what web site will Google link to if you want to get more stats on the game? Will Google get paid for that?

In the future? If you are texting about a your favorite team, will a link saying available tickets are available for the next game?

Cipherr

Goddamn Vergecast thrashing iOS7 right now

Its ugly... That color use and the tone of those loud colors are goddamn awful. The animations are beautiful, but are to lengthy and gaudy and just slow down navigation. The use of those ugly gradients is ridiculous.

Had anyone other than Apple done something like that, ANYONE, it would have been destroyed. So much of it looks nothing like what you expect from them, in a bad way, but its seen as "A beginning" or "A starting point" and leniency is given. The 8.0 they gave it was kind. The text of the review itself read like a 7 easily.

I think yes now based on this - If you are going to get game scores, what web site will Google link to if you want to get more stats on the game? Will Google get paid for that?

In the future? If you are texting about a your favorite team, will a link saying available tickets are available for the next game?

What? Why do you care? If you ask Siri for NFL scores, then click for more information and get taken to NFL.com, would you take offense if Apple gets paid by the NFL for that reference? That's ridiculous. These services (Siri, Google Now) use the official sports leagues pages when you request more information (it works the same way for buying tickets to the events, the official NFL website is used for reference if you opt to click on "buy tickets"). Maybe the providers Apple/Google/Microsoft get paid for that transaction or maybe they don't. But either way I find it preposterous that you would take offense to it.

Referring you to the league site makes perfect sense in those cases. I mean I hear yah I would be upset if GNow ever started presenting Actual Ads. But giving me a link to purchase a song I have listened to a billion times on Youtube, or giving a link to purchase Chiefs tickets when its a team I have entered as a team I follow is not the type of 'Ad' I get my jimmies rustled over...

MattDoza

I run gpe stock. I thoroughly dislike CM from previous experiences and the Google updates are faster then CM.
Same here. I haven't used CM in a few years, but stock GPE is my preference over Sense. Might give CM a shot when there's a stable build.

mturco

Yeah I've been using CM since my original Droid and it just kind of became an automatic thing to install it on every phone since then. Back in the 2.3/4.0 days CM actually added a lot of cool/useful stuff, but now I think stock Android has caught up and CM is really less appealing and not worth all the hassle.

Anyway, I think I'm going to convert mine to GPE, but I can't get S-OFF on my phone no matter what XDA guide I follow. I know my HBOOT firmware is early enough to do it but it keeps failing. Do you know which guide you followed to do yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom