• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I heard Nokia's original mapping program was actually really good, especially with allowing the user to download large amounts of map data to store offline.

As for storing places that don't have street destinations like, say, camping sites, I guess the only built-in option you have is to make a marker at the closest available street destination, which isn't really ideal.

The good news about the new maps is that I haven't found a limit to how many maps I can store, so if you're hoping to reduce data usage and just overall dependency on a network for map data, you can type "OK maps" to save the area offline. I know there's another way that's easier, but I can't seem to get it to pop up at the moment. It's something like the last option that appears in a search listing when in maps.

Another solution would be to use Google's "MyTracks" to record how you traveled to that remote location. Use maps to get you to the navigable spot and then use MyTracks to direct you to the out-of-way location.

Sorry if that's not a good solution.

kehs

Banned
So there was this client showing my dad how awesome iso7 was cause you can swipe away apps to close them. My dad's all wtf, I've been doing that for years on my gn.

Good times.

besiktas1

I'm getting giddy, only a few days left for the note 3. Got me a 32gig SD card today. From 8gigs on my nexus4 to 64gig I can finally put some decent amount of games/music/videos on the beast.
I'm going to spend the next few days watching note 3 preview bids on YouTube...

As for storing places that don't have street destinations like, say, camping sites, I guess the only built-in option you have is to make a marker at the closest available street destination, which isn't really ideal.

Thanks for the info. When you say "make a marker", what's that? I've tried saving the pushpin thing but it wont seem to let me. Do I have to go about it a particular way?

Husker86

Thanks for the info. When you say "make a marker", what's that? I've tried saving the pushpin thing but it wont seem to let me. Do I have to go about it a particular way?

Long press on the map where you want a marker. When the white description bar pops up at the bottom, click that--it will expand up. From there click the star "save" icon. It will now forever be starred on your maps.

For pinned places that aren't on a road, the only option you have is "Share". You could email that to yourself and have a link for coordinates. Not ideal, but it works.

3phemeral

Long press on the map where you want a marker. When the white description bar pops up at the bottom, click that--it will expand up. From there click the star "save" icon. It will now forever be starred on your maps.

For pinned places that aren't on a road, the only option you have is "Share". You could email that to yourself and have a link for coordinates. Not ideal, but it works.

Exactly this. For places that have no address coordinates (because Google Maps needs an address to navigate to), it won't allow you to pin. So long as it can grab an actual street address, you should be good.

The MyTracks is a suggestion to record your route for places where there is no street data. You can use it to record your lon/lat coordinates while your travel to your destination and review it if you ever want to go back. Pointless if you need to find your way to a specific spot that you've never been to, but then if you download your map data, you should be good to use that without relying on a data connection.

Have just tried that on a few different roads near where I was today and I'm not getting the star, just the share button. I managed to get a star on a larger road (not consistently either), but it was no-where near where I'd like it to be. Very frustrating. :(

Edit - Seems even when you can save, you can't give it a recognisable name. Bollocks.

Quasar

So anyone tried the Android version of Ticket to Ride? Someone I know if wondering how it runs on older phones, like their Galaxy S.

tino

Banned

I have never find a proper way to make set of POIs on Android and save them as google friendly kml file or open format GPX file. God knows I have tried.

The only solutions is create my map on http://maps.google.com on a real PC.

This is actually a real problem for me because I do extensive advanced planning for all my road trips. On the one hand I can do the POI planning on a TomTom or Garmin GPS app, or I can do it on a PC on Google Maps and access it on my phone. I preder later. I am actually thinking about getting a 8" Atom W8 tablet just so I can do it on future trips.

VanWinkle

Not directly related to Android, but does anybody know why my Google Music page looks like this:

itO9qP9QfmPRU.png

?

I don't understand it. I tried clearing my cache and cookies. There are just missing elements everywhere. The drop menus on the right side are where I clicked the "..." on the album art. The main Google Play website is like this too. I'm using Chrome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Part of me doesn't want to upgrade my phone or tablet until they get Touch ID implemented. It's so fantastic I can't believe it hasn't already been done like Apple has done it.

gcubed

Were in the future grandpa.

(I never liked comics at all, even though I collected a few, I'm just hoping for a new angle to possibly enjoy them)

!! No way. Books yes, music yes, comics... Can't do it. I don't really get comics anymore but I do get a few graphic novels... I enjoy the art printed. I'm old

kehs

Banned
!! No way. Books yes, music yes, comics... Can't do it. I don't really get comics anymore but I do get a few graphic novels... I enjoy the art printed. I'm old

I should feel the same considering I make a living with print media.

I'm totally gonna get my lame comics out of storage. I'm not saying I own Maxx comics but...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still need to sell my physical copies of Long Halloween and Infinite Crisis, among a couple others... I don't wanna be chained down.

This is actually a real problem for me because I do extensive advanced planning for all my road trips. On the one hand I can do the POI planning on a TomTom or Garmin GPS app, or I can do it on a PC on Google Maps and access it on my phone. I preder later. I am actually thinking about getting a 8" Atom W8 tablet just so I can do it on future trips.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just keep my Lumia around (maybe in my car) because Google maps doesn't even come close.

DXPett1

Not directly related to Android, but does anybody know why my Google Music page looks like this:

?

I don't understand it. I tried clearing my cache and cookies. There are just missing elements everywhere. The drop menus on the right side are where I clicked the "..." on the album art. The main Google Play website is like this too. I'm using Chrome.

Tried a different browser?

gcubed

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just keep my Lumia around (maybe in my car) because Google maps doesn't even come close.

Google announced allowing custom routes for navigation quite a while ago (during the new maps launch) but hasn't said a word about it since then. It's the biggest glaring omission

Groof

Like the messaging app, dialer is so-so, but oh god please no colour changing notification bar!
What I'm trying to say is though, is that I wouldn't mind if these were real.

All digital future.
LtNDbKz.png

High five breh. I would never have gotten back into comic books if it weren't for my Nexus 7. As most comics here are imported from America they cost about 2-3x more than their original retail price, so even with the inflated digital prices they're still cheaper than buying in stores here. I for one accept our digital overlords.

Nicktendo86

Part of me doesn't want to upgrade my phone or tablet until they get Touch ID implemented. It's so fantastic I can't believe it hasn't already been done like Apple has done it.
I would hold your horses on this one, we need to see long term how durable the sapphire is on the reader and how well it hold up with dirt and grime.

tino

Banned
Anyone who is planning to get a new phone in the next 3 months, what are you getting?

I was 80% set on the Xperia Z1. But after reading the owners hand-ons, I have decided its not worth $200 over the Xperia Z. If its 100 over the Z1, I will still get it. And purple version only. WTFBBQ was right, Z1 is only a half cycle upgrade over the Z.

Anyway none of the other new phone is exciting enough to make me whip out my credit card either. I have this crazy idea of keeping my OG Note 1 year longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom