• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who is planning to get a new phone in the next 3 months, what are you getting?

I was 80% set on the Xperia Z1. But after reading the owners hand-ons, I have decided its not worth $200 over the Xperia Z. If its 100 over the Z1, I will still get it. And purple version only. WTFBBQ was right, Z1 is only a half cycle upgrade over the Z.

Anyway none of the other new phone is exciting enough to make me whip out my credit card either. I have this crazy idea of keeping my OG Note 1 year longer.

I have a Galaxy Nexus at the moment, but would upgrade to an upgraded HTC One with a better camera. I would prefer to be on stock just for the speed of upgrades but Sense 5 actually looks nice and the One still impresses me with its looks and I think they got the screen size spot on.

But of the already announced phones Nexus 5 looks a bit big and battery is size is meh for the screen size, G2 sorry can't live with that skin. Will most likely end up keeping my Galaxy Nexus till the CES announcements next year just to see what's up.

Alpende

Could someone explain to me why in the world Google Services is taking up 85% to 90+% of my battery power? Also, I see those weird drops in the graph, what is that?

lmp0N7Q.png

gdYRQmc.png

sNanjve.png

HN76vcu.png

I'm running CM 10.1.1 manta. I flashed 10.1.3 RC1 and thought the battery drain was due to that so I flashed back to CM 10.1.1 but that didn't stop those excessive numbers.

Groof

I said it eslier but I hope they are not fake, I really really like them. Like the idea of the status bar changing colour for the app as well, nice little touch so long as it doest get too distracting.

I like them too, definitely wouldn't mind if they were real. The dialler is a bit odd though with the big circle in the middle, but I guess I'd get used to it.
The magenta coloured status icons are strange though, never noticed that one before.

this_guy

Anyone who is planning to get a new phone in the next 3 months, what are you getting?

I was 80% set on the Xperia Z1. But after reading the owners hand-ons, I have decided its not worth $200 over the Xperia Z. If its 100 over the Z1, I will still get it. And purple version only. WTFBBQ was right, Z1 is only a half cycle upgrade over the Z.

Anyway none of the other new phone is exciting enough to make me whip out my credit card either. I have this crazy idea of keeping my OG Note 1 year longer.

I'm waiting for the official announcement for the Nexus 5. If it's the same camera as the G2 (previous Nexus models had crap cameras) with that battery life for $350-$400 then it's probably my next phone.

Other phones I'm looking at:

HTC One Mini - I like the size. The 720p screen and performance are good enough. I don't play games and benchmarks don't matter.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - I'm currently using a Nokia 920, and while the app selection is less on Windows Phone, the main ones I need are there (Facebook, Spotify, and Fantasy Football). The camera on this phone would be nice to have.

GatorBait

So by 4.4 Hangouts still won't have SMS support?

I'm really hoping Hangouts rolls out SMS support to coincide with the 4.4 launch, sort of like how Maps and other apps rolled out big updates around the 4.3 launch. You would think Google would want to hold out unified messaging in Hangouts out as "tentpole" feature with the release of an OS update.

And frankly...I really don't think I can wait until much longer to get out of the Google Voice app. It's so dated and buggy at this point.

yyzjohn

Banned
The release was postponed :(
I was genuinely interested in trying it, despite saying it is too little, too late

Yeah I know, it was a joke.

Blackberry looks really bad in this situation, but the Google Play store also looks *really* bad with all the fake apps it allows. In the last 2 days there's been 20+ fake "BBM apps" popping up, then disappearing. A company like Google, with all their data on their users and developers can't actually vet out fake apps more easily? They really need a better approval system because it makes the play store look really amateurish. I realize they're cleaning up the fake apps and removing them, but my point is they shouldn't even be allowed to appear in the Play store to begin with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Blackberry looks really bad in this situation, but the Google Play store also looks *really* bad with all the fake apps it allows. In the last 2 days there's been 20+ fake "BBM apps" popping up, then disappearing. A company like Google, with all their data on their users and developers can't actually vet out fake apps more easily? They really need a better approval system because it makes the play store look really amateurish. I realize they're cleaning up the fake apps and removing them, but my point is they shouldn't even be allowed to appear in the Play store to begin with.

Open market breh. If you want totalitarian lockdown then get an iDevice.

The point is they don't vet apps, they aren't the app cops... Get a Kindle Fire.

Husker86

"Curation matters." - Vic Gundotra

https://plus.google.com/+VicGundotra/posts/DpFQUEo4K9v

Saying that banning fake apps or copyright-infringing apps is totalitarian lockdown is silly.
When I was looking for Riptide GP2 there was a developer who had that and 3 other popular pirated games up for free. They all had thousands of downloads and bad reviews saying they were pirated and I'm sure reported many times. Who knows how long those stayed up.

Edit: there is a pirated Riptide GP2 up now actually... They must just keep reposting.

Nicktendo86

Just had a thought that might make that android police 4.4 "leak" genuine, the red WiFi and battery icons, matching the colour of the wallpaper. Remember that nexus 5 leak? The video has white status bar icons but it looked like on the second video I think the WiFi icon turned blue, perhaps to match the wallpaper like the android police pics?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hangouts is an app which is updated individually so it means nothing really.
Kind of. When 4.3 hit, there were a ton of Google apps updated about a week before.

I would hold your horses on this one, we need to see long term how durable the sapphire is on the reader and how well it hold up with dirt and grime.
If Apple has committed to it as a major feature, I'm certain it's ready for prime time. This isn't Siri. Apple is great at hardware.

I miss my OG Note. The resolution and aspect ratio were pretty cool. Very different and a 'fat' feeling phone. It felt great. I wouldn't be ashamed to keep it around another year. I only switched because I missed the Nexus line.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Can someone fill me in on why both 4.3 and 4.4 are being talked about when 4.3 hasn't even been released yet? And how high can I expect the updates to go on my "old" S3? I'm kind of out of the loop on this stuff.

giga

Can someone fill me in on why both 4.3 and 4.4 are being talked about when 4.3 hasn't even been released yet? And how high can I expect the updates to go on my "old" S3? I'm kind of out of the loop on this stuff.
4.3 came out in July.

gcubed

ive been using 4.3 for a while

Groof

4.3 has been out for a while, the reason you haven't seen it yet is probably because Samsung hasn't released their own, skinned (Touchwiz) version of it for S3s yet. Personally I'd guess Samsung will support your S3 up to 4.3 for certain, but after that it'll get hazier.

Does it change colors or is it just changing to white permanently? I remember thinking that was the worst part of the design. I hate that blue scattered throughout the ui.

It looks like black bar with white/gray type is the standard setup, but the color of the bar will change when using certain apps.

I didn't necessarily mind the Tron blue; it's an okay color. I just wish we had the option to change it.

Well, if those images truly are fake, I still like the idea of the color-changing status bar.

It would seem to fit nicely with Google's card-based app design.

tino

Banned

Thats how google sucker you into buying new Nexus devices.

VanWinkle

So guys. My S3 broke several months ago and I've been using a terrible Xperia Play. I've hated it. Well yesterday I bought a used Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I'm excited. I'm not eligible for upgrade until next June so there was just no way I could use that Xperia Play until then. I also can't afford a no-contract Verizon phone. I just wish I was on AT&T or T-Mobile so I could have gotten the Nexus 4. But this should suit me JUST fine until June.

Tried a different browser?

Just tried it in Firefox...and it worked. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Google Play doesn't work right on Google Chrome but is perfect on Firefox?!?

Part of me doesn't want to upgrade my phone or tablet until they get Touch ID implemented. It's so fantastic I can't believe it hasn't already been done like Apple has done it.

It works so well, the Chaos Computer Club already found a way to trick it with a copy of your fingerprint.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It works so well, the Chaos Computer Club already found a way to trick it with a copy of your fingerprint.

File it with seeing the smudge trail from custom swipe to unlock. And over the shoulder passcodes. And scan picture to unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom