• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achtius

Is there a legitimate app to rotate your video? For some reason, even though I took the video in landscape mode, it ended up in portrait o_O

kehs

Banned
tumblr_mdrk3lu82R1qjeuh3o1_500.jpg

DXPett1

Has anyone had any experience with Google Cloud Print. Don't use my desktop that much and my mum is keen on a Tab 3 but doesn't want to lose out the use of a printer. Is it flexible in what you can print?

gcubed

Has anyone had any experience with Google Cloud Print. Don't use my desktop that much and my mum is keen on a Tab 3 but doesn't want to lose out the use of a printer. Is it flexible in what you can print?

I've used it with office suite pro, was able to print all documents through that to my printer that has native cloud print support... No problems

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No nexus 5 rumours today eh? Come onnnnnn. We already got 4.4, we got FCC sightings. How far can this sumbish beee.

Figure out the Nexus 4 release announcement from last year's leaks. That should give us a idea of the new one's release.

VanWinkle

I want a life size statue of Kate Upton made out of chocolate.

you poor soul

:'(

I want to be in the Nexus loop, but because I am on Verizon, and Verizon is moronic, I cannot.

Let me ask this. Is it POSSIBLE for a manufacturer to make a phone that uses the bands Verizon does and just sell it themselves without any Verizon crap on it? Or are those bands just locked down and proprietary? I assume that's the case because I don't think over ever seen one like what I asked.

gcubed

:'(

I want to be in the Nexus loop, but because I am on Verizon, and Verizon is moronic, I cannot.

Let me ask this. Is it POSSIBLE for a manufacturer to make a phone that uses the bands Verizon does and just sell it themselves without any Verizon crap on it? Or are those bands just locked down and proprietary? I assume that's the case because I don't think over ever seen one like what I asked.

Verizon approves all phones on their network. If you want to join the nexus train you need to leave anti consumer train

Despera

Banned
Guys I need your help.

What's the best 10.1" Android tablet that's $300 or less?

What matters the most is smoothness of operation.

Groof

Lol this is an iPad mini.

edit: wait you can actually hold this shit in one hand or they hire a giant model?

lg-vu3-1-540x354.jpg

That woman is huge as shit. Although I did actually see my fair share of LG Vu 2s on the streets when I was living in Korea, so it does seem to have a market.
Why, I have no bloody idea.

Christopher

Coming from the iPhone I only have three problems and maybe some of you can help me with them:

Why isn't there a separate tone for my Voice Mails?

Why isn't there a "stack" of SMS notifcations like the iPhone has?

Those really are my biggest gripes, they might be minor but alas their there.

tino

Banned
Have anyone heard the "Samsung" ad in GTA5? its so funny.

"9G technology! Yes, thats the 9th generation. Featuring the new Drone. It's significantly better than the iFruit phone, how do we know that? because we blatantly rip off their design and improve a few irrelevant features. 9G! from Wiz Wireless!"

Toki767

Coming from the iPhone I only have three problems and maybe some of you can help me with them:

Why isn't there a separate tone for my Voice Mails?

Why isn't there a "stack" of SMS notifcations like the iPhone has?

Those really are my biggest gripes, they might be minor but alas their there.

You can set a custom notification sound for voice mails...should be in your settings somewhere. Or you could just install Google Voice.

Notifications on Android work differently than on iOS. All notifications from the same app get stacked together. So that if you have more than one notification for an app, you get taken to the app itself instead of that one notification. This is probably the main reason my friend refuses to switch to Android from iOS too.

Groof

A friend from Tokyo told me he's seeing Nexus 7s all over the place and there seems to be a lot of marketing for it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm a big Podcast guy and I've been searching and searching for a Podcast that discusses Android/ general Mobile tech stuff that wasn't boring as fuck for quite a while. I know I can't be the only one so I wanted to share, for anyone else in a similar boat, that I recently discovered the Vergecast:

http://www.theverge.com/video/the-vergecast

It can be consumed in both video and audio formats and, while it's a general tech 'cast, you can't have a general tech podcast without a heavy focus on mobile these day. I've recently found them but have been really enjoying their iOS and Android discussions.

They go off on tangents and rants pretty often and don't seem too strict on format as it's all pretty buddy-buddy and I honestly get a good "Bombcast" kind of vibe while listening.

I'm really anticipating some interesting commentary with the Nexus 5 and KitKat stuff happening soon!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The vergecast is terrible. More like a wannabe comedy podcast with some ill informed tech opinion thrown in. Also, a lot sucking up to nilay and Topolsky so even when they say something absurd, you get no one challenging it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can set a custom notification sound for voice mails...should be in your settings somewhere. Or you could just install Google Voice.

Notifications on Android work differently than on iOS. All notifications from the same app get stacked together. So that if you have more than one notification for an app, you get taken to the app itself instead of that one notification. This is probably the main reason my friend refuses to switch to Android from iOS too.
Depending on the app, you can pull down the notification to expand it. Hangouts works like that. You can see the last few messages at a glance.

tino

Banned
It really is. Banter between Chris/Vlad/Dieter/Dan is hilarious...Josh and Nilay simply spend an hour+ hollering over themselves

Only thing Patel talk about is his brother in law. actually I give him credit of having originally opinion once in a while. Topolsky just do the hipster routine and talk about bad TV shows. Topolsky is as bad as TWIT hosts.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
The vergecast is terrible. More like a wannabe comedy podcast with some ill informed tech opinion thrown in. Also, a lot sucking up to nilay and Topolsky so even when they say something absurd, you get no one challenging it.
It's hard to allow for challenge whenever they're doing their best to talk over you.

Nicktendo86

Haha, saw the new Nexus 7 ad for the first time on UK TV last night, they dubbed the voices to English accents and changed the Roosevelt speech to a Churchill speech.

Getting so impatient with the 4.4 release now, pleeeeeease hurry up Googly.

Bboy AJ

The Verge Mobile Show is better.

Agreed. That crew is interesting, have diverse opinions, and can have a discussion. Topolsky and Patel are obnoxious. Topolsky is constantly interrupting and trying to talk over someone. He's incredibly uncharismatic -- Check out On The Verge to see just how bad he is.

Guys I need your help.

What's the best 10.1" Android tablet that's $300 or less?

What matters the most is smoothness of operation.

You can get a Nexus 10 for around that price. There are deals floating around all over. It's smooth but it does reboot randomly on a regular basis. Still the best 10" Android tablet, though. Hopefully the new one has the kinks worked out but it'll be more than $300.

SimleuqiR

Agreed. That crew is interesting, have diverse opinions, and can have a discussion. Topolsky and Patel are obnoxious. Topolsky is constantly interrupting and trying to talk over someone. He's incredibly uncharismatic -- Check out On The Verge to see just how bad he is.

I'm sorry, but I have to tune in every week so I know what Mr. Topolksy will do with his hair next. Can't miss that.

I watch both the Vergecast and Mobile Show, but I still prefer TwiT's coverage:

This Week in Tech
This Week in Google
Tech News Today
All About Android

and occasionally I dabble on some of their other shows (podcasts).

I think Android Police has a podcast but I'm not sure how good it is.

yyzjohn

Banned
The point is they don't vet apps, they aren't the app cops... Get a Kindle Fire.

Not vetting apps and allowing totally BS impostor apps are really two different things. There should be SOME quality control, I think there needs to be a happy middle ground. Not as harsh as the Apple app store but not as open as it currently is.

Talon

Yeah, The Vergecast became unbearably when Josh decided to just yell everybody. At least Paul doesn't drop by any more to provide the insight of a hermit.

I actually really like Nilay on the show when he brings up his prior perspective as a patent lawyer, but he gets shouted over by Josh's inane rants. For being so close to the industry, it's a very light show.

Stopped listening a few months ago. The Vergecast is better, but it's definitely better when Dieter keeps everyone in order. Annoying to hear them make the same damn jokes about phone sizes/colors every week. Again, I don't think it's particularly insightful - pretty light show.

I feel the same way about All About Android - especially since they're usually two steps removed from the story as pure punditry. Hearing them get things wrong consistently is annoying, as much as I like Howell and Gina. Ron Richards has no idea what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom