• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
So apparently the moto x on republic wireless is the "dvx". The budget moto x. How can it get more budget?

Probably worse screen, lower density battery and 8mp camera.

There is a different Sprint MVNO is running this VOIP/cellular hybrid gimmick, called "TextNOW". Their phone options are IMO better and cheaper. 90 for a Nexus S and 110 for a Galaxy S II.

Their website is disaster though.

ash_ag

So, what is Nokia's Project N? That Microsoft buyout seems to be turning out alright.

In other news, the KitKat screenshots are looking good; I hope they are the real deal in spite of the Android Police research. I don't take much issue with Holo Dark, but it's kind of tiring at this point. Having the Status Bar gain different colours based on the app brings a more consistent and flexible visual design -- designers can choose the colours appearing on the screens of their apps. One thing I hadn't noticed in the other two screenshots is that the buttons bar also changes -- it seems that it's transparent, like in Moto X.

The new icons are lovely too. The smiley-esque Messages icon was neat, but if Mr. Jingles is integrated in the Messages app, it's a bit more reluctant as a design choice.

Kiraly

That rotating 13mp camera is pretty genius as fuck

It also has a rear touch panel

Such a fucking shame it is 5.9".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We could fix this ya know.

*Hint Hint*

Android Prism Podcast

*Hint Hint*

Also are we all hyped for the next Windows 8 Surface stuff? *Crickets Chirping*

tino

Banned
We could fix this ya know.

*Hint Hint*

Android Prism Podcast

*Hint Hint*

Also are we all hyped for the next Windows 8 Surface stuff? *Crickets Chirping*

For the record I hasn't had the time to read the blog posts.

But if you guys record the google hangout and put it on youtube, I would watch it. (Please put on a "I am ___" sticker lol.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can see myself never using the rear touch panel. I'd rather use my thumb to manipulate the screen instead of my index finger that's already struggling to hold onto a 5.9" behemoth phone.

mackattk

Why not a snapdragon 800 for the Oppo N1?

This is clearly a phone set for enthusiasts, no reason it shouldn't be sporting a snapdragon 800 rather than a 600.

I am a little concerned about the rotating camera. Since the earpiece is on the opposite side, if there is any issue with the hinge, making calls might become impossible.

Also, not having LTE is also severely disappointing.

tino

Banned
I can see myself never using the rear touch panel. I'd rather use my thumb to manipulate the screen instead of my index finger that's already struggling to hold onto a 5.9" behemoth phone.

Its great for gesture based app/launcher shortcut. Think about it, swipe two fingers across the top half of the back panel to launch browser, all in one hand. Magic!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh hai guise

Ew

Yeah, The Vergecast became unbearably when Josh decided to just yell everybody. At least Paul doesn't drop by any more to provide the insight of a hermit.

I actually really like Nilay on the show when he brings up his prior perspective as a patent lawyer, but he gets shouted over by Josh's inane rants. For being so close to the industry, it's a very light show.

Stopped listening a few months ago. The Vergecast is better, but it's definitely better when Dieter keeps everyone in order. Annoying to hear them make the same damn jokes about phone sizes/colors every week. Again, I don't think it's particularly insightful - pretty light show.

I feel the same way about All About Android - especially since they're usually two steps removed from the story as pure punditry. Hearing them get things wrong consistently is annoying, as much as I like Howell and Gina. Ron Richards has no idea what he's talking about.

Vergecast is awesome. I used to hate it, but believe it or not they've gotten a lot better about not interrupting each other. I used to be absolutely intolerable. And Nilay is probably one of the smartest people in the industry right now. I don't always agree with him, but he's always got a pretty good argument. And it's also gotten so much better now that Paul isn't around anymore. That guy was useless flotsam. Josh is kind of an ass, but he's also usually right about things too.

tino

Banned
I've never seen the Vergecast before, watched the latest episode after reading this thread and that Josh guy was extremely obnoxious and constantly shouting over the others; the content was alright but that really grated on me after a while and the podcast isn't short.

Now go watch the new Windows Phone commercial and spot Josh Troposki's cameo.

Talon

Vergecast is awesome. I used to hate it, but believe it or not they've gotten a lot better about not interrupting each other. I used to be absolutely intolerable. And Nilay is probably one of the smartest people in the industry right now. I don't always agree with him, but he's always got a pretty good argument. And it's also gotten so much better now that Paul isn't around anymore. That guy was useless flotsam. Josh is kind of an ass, but he's also usually right about things too.
Nilay is great. That episode where he was with Muttonchops McGee and Harry McCracken on TWiT is one of the best episodes of that show ever.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I've never seen the Vergecast before, watched the latest episode after reading this thread and that Josh guy was extremely obnoxious and constantly shouting over the others; the content was alright but that really grated on me after a while and the podcast isn't short.

So idk if they just had a bad week this time but it was very evident to me even before I knew that was a common criticism.

Yeah it's an acquired taste. You get used to their madness and come to appreciate what they have to say. Also the entertainment value of it too.

zedge

Nilay is great. That episode where he was with Muttonchops McGee and Harry McCracken on TWiT is one of the best episodes of that show ever.
Heh. Yea I like Nilay too. Josh is ok in small doses. The verge mobile show is excellent too. Enjoy both podcasts really. Don't tell wp GAF. ;)

Ce-Lin

hi guys, I own some Galaxy S4 Google Play and happy with it, but I'm looking for a cheap backup unit and I found a mint S3 mini for 99 bucks and a Galaxy Core for 70 (2nd hand), I don't usually buy mid/low range stuff so.. what's the best ? mini got cortex A9 and Core got A5 right ? but what about battery life? GPS quality ? thanks a lot, just need something cheap to carry to the beach and track my training.

Zeppu

Nilay is my fave too. I tend to enjoy listening to Josh but he just doesn't ever shut up. He constantly cuts people off, even guests when they used to have them on On The Verge. At the end of a show you realize that about 90% of the show as just him yapping away and the others echoing 'yea' every now and then. David has an incredibly punchable face.

Talon

The Engadget show when Tim Stevens and Ryan Block led the conversation was definitely the most even-keeled tech podcast out there - refusing to lean towards hyperbole. Unfortunately, Stevens was fired and Block moved up even further in the world.

Now it's two boring guys who have the sense of AndroidPolice commenters and a girl that appears to be the biggest nerd in the world.

Anandtech is my favorite tech podcast. I enjoy TWiT for the generalist perspective - although there are certain guests that I always avoid.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
hi guys, I own some Galaxy S4 Google Play and happy with it, but I'm looking for a cheap backup unit and I found a mint S3 mini for 99 bucks and a Galaxy Core for 70 (2nd hand), I don't usually buy mid/low range stuff so.. what's the best ? mini got cortex A9 and Core got A5 right ? but what about battery life? GPS quality ? thanks a lot, just need something cheap to carry to the beach and track my training.

Go for the S3. Still a solid device today

tino

Banned
Nilay is my fave too. I tend to enjoy listening to Josh but he just doesn't ever shut up. He constantly cuts people off, even guests when they used to have them on On The Verge. At the end of a show you realize that about 90% of the show as just him yapping away and the others echoing 'yea' every now and then. David has an incredibly punchable face.

The chemistry was better when Paul Miller was there.

The Engadget show when Tim Stevens and Ryan Block led the conversation was definitely the most even-keeled tech podcast out there - refusing to lean towards hyperbole. Unfortunately, Stevens was fired and Block moved up even further in the world.

Now it's two boring guys who have the sense of AndroidPolice commenters and a girl that appears to be the biggest nerd in the world.

Anandtech is my favorite tech podcast. I enjoy TWiT for the generalist perspective - although there are certain guests that I always avoid.

Wow Tim Stevens was fired? I had no idea.

Waiting for the axe land on Myriam Joire next then.

Ephemeris

5 years ago this was announced:

g1-impressions-004.jpg

The Dream was a little large back then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
5 years ago this was announced:

g1-impressions-004.jpg

The Dream was a little large back then.

I remember thinking how cool it looked, and the HTC Magic even cooler still. I still have a soft spot for it.

Part of me just wants to buy one and dick around and think about what I missed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When the G1 came out:

There were no third party widgets, no software keyboard, Amazon provided the MP3 store, and paid apps weren't supported in the Market yet. The G1 also didn't have multitouch or a standard headphone jack.

However, the notification shade and homescreen (with the app drawer, widgets, and shortcuts) have remained relatively unchanged since that first release.

I remember Streetview with the compass completely blowing my mind back then.

Ephemeris

I remember thinking how cool it looked, and the HTC Magic even cooler still. I still have a soft spot for it.

Part of me just wants to buy one and dick around and think about what I missed.

I wanted the Magic soo bad. I remember being jelly as fuck when it was given out. haha

Man, first time I saw the Hero and Sense running on top, i thought it was the BEST. THING. EVER.

I probably Antonio Banderas'd looking at it.

tino

Banned
I wanted the Magic soo bad. I remember being jelly as fuck when it was given out. haha

Man, first time I saw the Hero and Sense running on top, i thought it was the BEST. THING. EVER.

I probably Antonio Banderas'd looking at it.

Meh. HTC HD2 with the hexagon WM6 interface was vastly superior.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, the days when Android was the young upstart and XDA was all about hacking WinMo into something half usable on HTC devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom