• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

This is actually a pretty damn impressive update. To think what a bit of software tweaks can do.

i saw the anandtech write up... its one hell of an update, but it begs the question, how did they let it release like they did in the first place? I mean, the update seems to put the camera above acceptable.

This is great as just today I decided to get the moto x as my upgrade on sprint. However, I must ask if you guys think I should wait so that there maybe a deal on BF (was hoping for $99 on a 2 year upgrade) or just pull the trigger now?

good points, but google needs to learn that you dont get second chances in hardware

I saw an interview awhile back that motorola doesn't get any special treatments on android because they are a subsidiary. I think this is all on motorola, to be honest.

Blackhead

Redarse
This is great as just today I decided to get the moto x as my upgrade on sprint. However, I must ask if you guys think I should wait so that there maybe a deal on BF (was hoping for $99 on a 2 year upgrade) or just pull the trigger now?

there's always a deal on black Friday but that's two months away. I'm always surprised to hear someone is willing to sign a new contract on Sprint; unless you have a great grandfathered sero plan, like faceless monster, I just don't understand the attraction...

gcubed

I saw an interview awhile back that motorola doesn't get any special treatments on android because they are a subsidiary. I think this is all on motorola, to be honest.

yeah, but the google culture of, put it out unfinished and finish it later seems to be permeating the moto culture.

The fact that it doesn't run 4.3 is shameful

tino

Banned

Its not Moto's fault at all.

Moto before the buy out was the first company to come out with new flagship phones of the year. They always had top bill advertisement from Verizon. Moto got ATT on board to push Atrix 4G before the usual suspects from HTC (Amaze or whatever) and Samsung (S2) were released. Motorola used to have new phone ready right after CES.

Moto only became the last handset company to push out outdated stuff after the google buy out. Now Moto just paddle out meh ass shit with slow CPU and meh ass screen at the tail end of the summer, sometimes even later.

This is entirely google's fault.

this_guy

Glad they updated the camera on the Motorola X, and hopefully they'll drop the off contract price soon. If it's priced right I would consider it because I love the size/form factor.

kehs

Banned

Moto before the buy out was the first company to come out with new flagship phones of the year. They always had top bill advertisement from Verizon. Moto got ATT on board to push Atrix 4G before the usual suspects from HTC (Amaze or whatever) and Samsung (S2) were released. Motorola used to have new phone ready right after CES.

Moto only became the last handset company to push out outdated stuff after the google buy out. Now Moto just paddle out meh ass shit with slow CPU and meh ass screen at the tail end of the summer, sometimes even later.

Restructuring a company doesn't happen over night.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, how awesome is +Google's cover photo?

gplus_bckgrd-2120.png

Google Donuts icon!!! :O

there's always a deal on black Friday but that's two months away. I'm always surprised to hear someone is willing to sign a new contract on Sprint; unless you have a great grandfathered sero plan, like faceless monster, I just don't understand the attraction...

That's exactly why I will never leave sprint. Unlimited data, unlimited text, 500 daytime minutes, nights starting at 7 for $35 including tax. Can't beat that. Once I get a smartphone, I'll have to add the 4G plan so that will go up to $45, still can't beat that.

Cipherr

/wags finger

No no no friend. I remember the screen on the RAZR, I remember the Droid 3 (I nearly bought one), then I remember the Droid 4 replacing it like 5 months later (WTF LOL), I remember the shitty updates, and I remember MotoshitBlur, I remember those ridiculous advertisements and I remember their tanking profits.

All happened loooooooong before Google came along and bought them. They weren't looking to 'turn and sue Android vendors' with their patents for fun, they were looking for relief from the shitty trajectory of their business. They were doing Awful, and releasing phones that looked like ass, with the worst AMOLED screens in the industry.

Moto X may not be perfect, but its a far cry better than the crap they were putting out with MotoBlur on top.

Top bill Ads indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3154JjbuJQ

gcubed

Think that same boost in battery life would still be there just by installing a GPE rom on a regular S4?

yup, they are the same exact phone, you get the boost by not having all the whiz bang crap on either of the GPE phones.

You do lose camera quality though

Toki767

yup, they are the same exact phone, you get the boost by not having all the whiz bang crap on either of the GPE phones.

You do lose camera quality though

I can live with that. I'd be hopeful Kit Kat improves camera software in general. Though I guess Focal could be nice once it gets out of beta.

tino

Banned
/wags finger

No no no friend. I remember the screen on the RAZR, I remember the Droid 3 (I nearly bought one), then I remember the Droid 4 replacing it like 5 months later (WTF LOL), I remember the shitty updates, and I remember MotoshitBlur, I remember those ridiculous advertisements and I remember their tanking profits.

All happened loooooooong before Google came along and bought them. They weren't looking to 'turn and sue Android vendors' with their patents for fun, they were looking for relief from the shitty trajectory of their business. They were doing Awful, and releasing phones that looked like ass, with the worst AMOLED screens in the industry.

Moto X may not be perfect, but its a far cry better than the crap they were putting out with MotoBlur on top.

Top bill Ads indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3154JjbuJQ

Yeah but the current Moto (a Google company) still have these problem with shitty screens and shitty soc. They just release the phones half year after everybody else, instead of 2 months ahead of the curve. So same old Moto, but worst!

gcubed

Yeah but the current Moto (a Google company) still have these problem with shitty screens and shitty soc. They just release the phones half year after everybody else, instead of 2 months ahead of the curve. So same old Moto, but worst!

The screen on the moto x is far and away better then any screen moto has used in the last 3 years. It's not even comparable to how poor their previous screens were, early or late

The actual phone shell is better then any moto phone in the last 3 years as well. The only negative is the lack of 2 cores for full price

I can live with that. I'd be hopeful Kit Kat improves camera software in general. Though I guess Focal could be nice once it gets out of beta.

I converted a one recently to a gpe one, it's pretty easy

thespot84

The actual phone shell is better then any moto phone in the last 3 years as well. The only negative is the lack of 2 cores for full price

Which some people **cough**anandtech**cough** might not consider to be a negative in the first place.

I suppose the iphone 5s should be cheaper too because it's only 2 cores, right?
(yes the a7 is a much faster chip, but in the linked benchmarks the moto held its own or outperformed variants of the s4 and one multiple times. The MORE CORES BETTER frankly doesn't hold water anymore.

even if i wasnt grandfathered, Unlimited 4G LTE, a lower price than Verizon and all that tri-band spectrum is compelling where i am. AT&T and T-Mobile are way worse than Verizon and Sprint here.

Which some people **cough**anandtech**cough** might not consider to be a negative in the first place.

(yes the a7 is a much faster chip, but in the linked benchmarks the moto held its own or outperformed variants of the s4 and one multiple times. The MORE CORES BETTER frankly doesn't hold water anymore.

except, according to Anandtech, part of the Moto X battery life issue is because they run 2 cores at a higher voltage while other devices run 4 cores at a lower one. the Moto X matches performance in some tasks, but with higher power usage.

Slayven

I am about to flip over a magzine rack cause Netflix won't update their app for profiles. They did it for the Wii but not one of the biggest phone OSes?

Christopher

What do you guys recomebed for keyboard app better than default...camera and SMS pop up notifcations just a bit of a switch from iPhone

keit4

Banned
Does someone know some app to record the screen of your device without rooting it? I already tried Team Viewer (screencast, runs like shit, 3 fps or so), ASC (works ok the 90% of the time, but shows a black screen when i try to record the video from the camera) and a bunch of desktop apps that require the device to be connected to the PC via USB (all are utter crap). I'm desperate :(

gutshot

Wow Tim Stevens was fired? I had no idea.

Waiting for the axe land on Myriam Joire next then.

Well I just Googled her and discovered a G+ post where she announced she is leaving Engadget and joining Pebble, the smartwatch company. So there you go.

Talon

Wow, every time I go to Crackberry, it feels like I'm in an alternate universe.
Well I just Googled her and discovered a G+ post where she announced she is leaving Engadget and joining Pebble, the smartwatch company. So there you go.
What a curious move...

You've already been told those benchmarks max ed out the cores to 100% whereas the other phones barely sniffed.

But you can keep fighting the good fight on that overpriced phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So, Kit Kat announcement this week? Maybe next week, the latest. It has to be out by mid-October, no?

So, Kit Kat announcement this week? Maybe next week, the latest. It has to be out by mid-October, no?

kitkat event will probably be the same as the nexus 5 event. Assuming they even have one. Might just do it press release style like the hurricane made them do last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom