• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Everywhere I go, I have Verizon 4G LTE and I average 40mbps in the Seattle area. YMMV.
Verizon has awesome coverage, but their data plans for anyone not grandfathered are shit, even compared to AT&T who still lets you get a normal individual line and 3GB for $30.

I hope T-Mobile steps up their nationwide coverage, and if those Sprint roadmaps are true, I'm excited. I can't wait for CDMA to become extinct.

Verizon has awesome coverage, but their data plans for anyone not grandfathered are shit, even compared to AT&T who still lets you get a normal individual line and 3GB for $30.

I hope T-Mobile steps up their nationwide coverage, and if those Sprint roadmaps are true, I'm excited. I can't wait for CDMA to become extinct.

We'll see if T-Mobile and Sprint Softbank USA can actually become real competitors to Verizon and actually force price competition in the market. These days Verizon has no one remotely competitive with them, even AT&T are being left in the dust in terms of LTE rollout.

Husker86

We'll see if T-Mobile and Sprint Softbank USA can actually become real competitors to Verizon and actually force price competition in the market. These days Verizon has no one remotely competitive with them, even AT&T are being left in the dust in terms of LTE rollout.
Yeah, just gotta hope people vote with their wallets...not optimistic that will happen for the mass market though. It sucks because I'm glad we have a carrier that is rolling LTE out so fast, but at the same time I know I will never go back to them with their current plans. (I kinda cheat by having a Verizon LTE iPad on prepaid for the times I go on vacation or something)

Groof

I hope there are some real phone news or leaks soon, because all this American carrier talk is making me real depressed.

this_guy

So I'm giving away my One X to my brother and getting a Nexus 4. I was wondering if there's a case anyone would recommend that would protect the glass back without making the phone too thick?

P.S. Long time lurker. First time poster here.

I've always like the tpu cases made by Diztronic. You can find them on Amazon for $10 or less. Used it when I had the Galaxy S3, iPad 3rd generation, and now my Nokia 920.

ajpw

So I'm giving away my One X to my brother and getting a Nexus 4. I was wondering if there's a case anyone would recommend that would protect the glass back without making the phone too thick?

P.S. Long time lurker. First time poster here.

I have the nillkin slim case and its very nice

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly while AT&T were late to the game they have their LTE rolled out just about everywhere.

I get LTE everywhere I go now be it urban, suburban, or rural.

gcubed

Honestly while AT&T were late to the game they have their LTE rolled out just about everywhere.

Yea not sure what the post was earlier, att lte rollout had been faster and far smoother than Verizon's. Verizon just had a bigger head start because their underlying infrastructure was ass slow. ATT also has a viable prepaid option. Verizon is no longer clear top dog, and if sprint does move to gsm by 2015 they will be the ones left with the cdma thumb up their ass
A gsm-lte network will ALWAYS be superior to a CDMA-lte network.

That moto logo in the x isn't there on the final product

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

And if it's not LTE, their HSPA+ network actually works this time around (thanks to the loadoff to LTE)

It's kinda weird saying att's network works

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Late last month, we got LTE in the US Virgin Islands (25mbps). I'm in Puerto Rico now and AT&T has LTE here as well. Pretty happy with AT&T right now, even if they were sucking it up earlier in the year with call drops etc.

Talon

Yeah, I have AT&T LTE everywhere I go, and I travel a lot between Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit and the east coast.

AT&T mobile speeds used to be shit city in Chicago, but it's really consistent and reliable now - at least as of the last two months. No idea what happened there.

That said, fuck them for their stupid text messaging plans.

gcubed

Yeah, I have AT&T LTE everywhere I go, and I travel a lot between Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit and the east coast.

AT&T mobile speeds used to be shit city in Chicago, but it's really consistent and reliable now - at least as of the last two months. No idea what happened there.

That said, fuck them for their stupid text messaging plans.

GoPhone that shit

Matugi

Verizon has awesome coverage everywhere except for, you know, my fucking college campus. I have to connect to wifi at all times :\

3phemeral

Did I miss the posting of this walkthrough of the X phone I know Engadget has got it but there is a link to a subtitled version in the comments youtube app won't let me copy the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKWvphCUeQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I see a disturbing lack of visible sensors, screen reacts wierdly to light though.

No wonder Nintendo's been doing so badly lately, Iwata's been moonlighting.

[edit] Just finished watching the video. I'm assuming the effect you're talking about is when he does the iPhone comparison. Looks like the refresh rate drops when the screen deems. Reminds me of when you have a high-speed camera versus a low-speed camera capture a CRT.

Talon

Haha. I like how this guy pops up every 6 months with a device they bought off the street.

So...the screen dithering is disconcerting. Also, why does that Motorola widget still exist.

zedge

Looks pretty nice. Also it looks like there is a screen protector or plastic covering the screen. Wouldn't worry about dithering or whatever.

*edit Now I see what your talking about. When the screen dims.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That phone looks like a thick brick and the screen looks like some plastic garbage. The Moto logo is loud and hideous.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The phone looks OK, but I really don't like the Motorola logo in the front. It's too distracting.

Nope not S600 so dual core only but it is 8960T not normal so Adreno 320 at least.

Should clarify this comment - the CPU on the 8960T and the S600 are exactly the same the only difference being the number of cores.

Cipherr

I like it so far, but Im more interested in next years model when Google has had more influence in the entire process. If this one has a large battery and a worthwhile advertising campaign (which it sounds like it will) then its a good start.

Shame they have to start from the very bottom, but there's no avoiding that.

What they need is something unique like a Play Store based subscription model where you can buy this years X for a certain price and get a cheap upgrade to next years model when its available as long as you buy the upgraded model.

What they need is something unique like a Play Store based subscription model where you can buy this years X for a certain price and get a cheap upgrade to next years model when its available as long as you buy the upgraded model.

That would still suck as long as Google seems to be insisting that the Moto devices are midrange or low-end just to avoid angering the independent Android OEMs.

Groof

Did I miss the posting of this walkthrough of the X phone I know Engadget has got it but there is a link to a subtitled version in the comments youtube app won't let me copy the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKWvphCUeQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I see a disturbing lack of visible sensors, screen reacts wierdly to light though.
I still think all these units people are leaking are still in their prototype casing. The screen going all bonkers at the end seems like there something else on top of it. I dunno.

In other news, Vietnamese is probably one of the funniest languages ever.

Imagine having to say "OK Moto Magic" every single time you wanted to search.

kehs

Banned
It has a sharply beveled screen....that's very interesting.

I'm liking the look of it, definitely isn't a black slab.

e: the moto software looks pretty cool, I'd prefer a notification led instead of the that notification screen though. Double twist for camera looks awkward as shit. Camera looks quick though, assuming that was a representation of it.

All these pictures/videos showing the carrier in the notification bar...wtf?

Just a thought since you snap pictures by pressing anywhere on the screen does this mean that focus on a particular object or portion is gone? Is the camera infinite focus like that Nokia phone some time ago?

gcubed

This phone is fucking lackluster.

Its basically a HTC One X with 2 gb of RAM.

One X+!

This thing is not going to be cheap off contact, it's going to be a full price phone. Such a shit move

... God watching the one video makes me sad, my gnex is so terrible.

Kiraly

Why the fuck have we been waiting on the Moto X for like half a year now, with all that bullshit from pctx to boot?

kehs

Banned
One X+!

This thing is not going to be cheap off contact, it's going to be a full price phone. Such a shit move

You know your gonna end up with a motox gcube, don't front.

Talon

So it's a smaller One X+ with Google Glass prompts and a notification feature - features that will likely be baked in to KLP.

Pricing must be delicious.

tino

Banned
One X+!

I still have the OG Galaxy Note.

Actually I have lost the desire to upgrade in the beginning of this year.

I was building up the impulse and money to get the Lenovo k900. It turned out it didn't have a SD card. It kind of killed all my urge to upgrade.

Now I am just waiting for the mythical Sony Honami. If an Android phone with a great camera doesn't come out, I may not upgrade at all. Me and my Galaxy Note and 4 batteries will wait for the next generation.

Funny if Google isn't rushing to announce the Moto X themselves because it's not the product they want it to be.

Then they should have scrapped it or realised that a LONG time ago, I don't buy that excuse either sheer management incompetence or complete engineering disaster - possible as Google essentially gutted the company and is starting from scratch.

One X+!

I feel your pain brah! :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It doesn't seem THAT bad but the specs... >__>

Hopefully it's cheap

Does it matter to you? Who's buying this thing, anyway? I sure won't be. I know gcubed said he might but he's one out of the whole thread. Plus he owns a GNex. A Startac is an upgrade from that POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom