• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Unlikely because there are no properly competitive BYOD contracts in the US, it's almost like a cartel that none of the big players wants to offer something to change the current rip-off landscape in the US.

I think T-Mobile might make it happen, but other than that it will be a long road to a European style market where the majority of devices are sold offline and people take up SIM-only contracts for €10-20 per month.

What are your (or that mobile industry chap's) thoughts on stories like: iPhone sales shortfall could leave Verizon owing Apple $14 billion ?
Would that lead to more discounting or a switch to the TMobile model?

SimleuqiR

What are your (or that mobile industry chap's) thoughts on stories like: iPhone sales shortfall could leave Verizon owing Apple $14 billion ?

It would lead to carriers not being so bullish on the iPhone?
iPhone is a great device, always has been. But Apple's contract requirements are insane. It's one of the reasons why they have yet to break into certain markets around the world.

If it comes down to it, VZW will just shift a load of them at cost and tell Apple to fuck off afterwards. The iPhone doesn't have the same draw it did in 2010, Android is much more desirable now than it was then.

The last thing Apple will want though is to go to war with the largest carrier in the US which is partly owned by the second largest carrier in the world. With iPhone sales growth slowing down to a crawl (I think it will go in reverse pretty soon unless the cheap iPhone comes along) making enemies of VZW and Vodafone would be suicidal. There was a time when Apple could tell the carriers to jump and they would ask how high, but that's not going to happen now. With the likes of Samsung, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Huawei and others all willing to compete in the high end on terms set by the carriers Apple will make a deal. Tim Cook is a pragmatist unlike Steve Jobs.

tino

Banned
If it comes down to it, VZW will just shift a load of them at cost and tell Apple to fuck off afterwards. The iPhone doesn't have the same draw it did in 2010, Android is much more desirable now than it was then.

The last thing Apple will want though is to go to war with the largest carrier in the US which is partly owned by the second largest carrier in the world. With iPhone sales growth slowing down to a crawl (I think it will go in reverse pretty soon unless the cheap iPhone comes along) making enemies of VZW and Vodafone would be suicidal. There was a time when Apple could tell the carriers to jump and they would ask how high, but that's not going to happen now. With the likes of Samsung, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Huawei and others all willing to compete in the high end on terms set by the carriers Apple will make a deal. Tim Cook is a pragmatist unlike Steve Jobs.

I bet Verizon will use future commitment to iPhone 6,7 to get out of the current contract. The way I see it, it can't be as gaurantee as baseball player contracts.

this_guy

It means the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about.

A $23.5 billion commitment for 2013 alone would mean that VZW would need to sell around 35 million iPhones this year at an average sales price of $650. In Q1 2013, they sold just over 7 million total smartphones.

Analysts are pulling the $24.7 billion from a 10-K filing last year that discusses Verizon Communication's purchase commitments--not just Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless. Basically someone glanced at the filing, and decided that ALL of Verizon's committments and attributed that to the iPhone, when in actuality it's all equipment Verizon plans on purchasing.

tino

Banned
you get called an android fanboy for saying it's a noisy picture in the main thread.

Thats why I didn't say it. I said it in photography forums. Its a disappointment to me really.

Nokia still should get all the credit for putting a giant ass sensor in the phone. Its not nice to crash their party.

edit; just to clarify. If an Android phone come out tomorrow with the exact sensor and lens combo, I wouldn't buy it. The skin tone and fur rendering is unacceptable. I will spend the money on a Ricoh GR. They have made the wrong compromise on pixel size and sensor size. Now if you keep the same sensor size with only 10-15mp, then I am totally on board.

Have you seen the color noise? The full 41mp is unusable even at 2pm. This phone should shoot at 20mp or lower all the time.

Just had a look at the Nokia provided samples. Unimpressed, skintones are terrible in that picture on the bridge. So much noise at full resolution. The GS4 (current smartphone champ) would do a much better job and 13MP is plenty usable.

gcubed

Thats why I didn't say it. I said it in photography forums. Its a disappointment to me really.

Nokia still should get all the credit for putting a giant ass sensor in the phone. Its not nice to crash their party.

yes, i tried to clarify that they still did a great job especially in slimming the phone and smoothing out the hump... actually making a large sensor phone that i would carry around... the picture quality was just disappointing from what i was expecting

malyce

The XFON looks good, fuck the haters. If it's $199 off contract, then it's game on, if it's $free99 on contract and $299 off then it's gonna need to ship with a S600.

The 808 had a pureview mode that uses the full sensor to oversample but only use 3,5,8mp not the full 38mp resolution.

Even then it was better than the s3 and one x in those resolution.

But I didn't think the picture quality was better than the sony rx100. With the 808 it was almost impossible to shoot semi low light do to lack of ois.

But yeah the pureview 808 was a piece of crap.

Blackhead

Redarse
It means the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about.

A $23.5 billion commitment for 2013 alone would mean that VZW would need to sell around 35 million iPhones this year at an average sales price of $650. In Q1 2013, they sold just over 7 million total smartphones.

Analysts are pulling the $24.7 billion from a 10-K filing last year that discusses Verizon Communication's purchase commitments--not just Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless. Basically someone glanced at the filing, and decided that ALL of Verizon's committments and attributed that to the iPhone, when in actuality it's all equipment Verizon plans on purchasing.

What equipment? The article explains why the analysts think most of the commitment is for the iPhone...
The firm said that Verizon Wireless’ parent company, Vodafone, reported that Verizon had $45 billion in purchase commitments over a three-year period at the end of 2010. Moffett believes most of the money is due to Apple. 

"Few if any other handset suppliers require purchase commitments of this kind, and, again, it is noteworthy that the total commitment was almost zero until Verizon contracted with Apple for the iPhone for the first time," the report stated.

this_guy

What equipment? The article explains why the analysts think most of the commitment is for the iPhone...

Other equipment such as Samsung phones, Nokia phones, networking equipment, etc. $45 billion over a 3 year period of iPhones at an average selling price of $650 is over 69 million iphones, or 23 million iphones a year over 3 years. Verizon sold 7.2 million total smartphones last quarter (Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone combined), that's a pace of 29 million smartphones a year. It doesn't make sense that they would expect to sell 23 million iPhones and 6 million other smartphones.

Blackhead

Redarse
Other equipment such as Samsung phones, Nokia phones, networking equipment, etc. $45 billion over a 3 year period of iPhones at an average selling price of $650 is over 69 million iphones, or 23 million iphones a year over 3 years. Verizon sold 7.2 million total smartphones last quarter (Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone combined), that's a pace of 29 million smartphones a year. It doesn't make sense that they would expect to sell 23 million iPhones and 6 million other smartphones.

But Samsung, Nokia etc "don't require purchase commitments of this kind". $45 Billion sounds like a lot now but maybe not back then when the iPhone was enjoying over 100% YoY growth. In 2010 the Samsung Galaxy hadn't blown up and AT&T's smartphone sales was heavily tilted towards the iPhone.
Sprint has only 12%(?) marketshare yet signed for commitment of $15 Billion...

this_guy

But Samsung, Nokia etc "don't require purchase commitments of this kind". $45 Billion sounds like a lot now but maybe not back then when the iPhone was enjoying over 100% YoY growth. And Sprint has only 12% marketshare yet signed for commitment of $15 Billion...

Yes, but Sprint's $15 billion committment is over several years. I just don't think those numbers add up. Those other manufacturers of course won't individually have that type of purchase agreement, but I'm more inclined to believe that the $45 billion is for all equipment, not just iPhones. Verizon surely can't believe they would sell 23 million iPhones a year when that would be about 80% of their total smartphone sales.

Talon

But Samsung, Nokia etc "don't require purchase commitments of this kind". $45 Billion sounds like a lot now but maybe not back then when the iPhone was enjoying over 100% YoY growth. In 2010 the Samsung Galaxy hadn't blown up and AT&T's smartphone sales was heavily tilted towards the iPhone.
Sprint has only 12%(?) marketshare yet signed for commitment of $15 Billion...
$45 billion is absurd, considering Sprint's commitment was to buy 30.5 million iPhones over four years starting in 2011 - which is around $20 billion.

Trying to fudge up numbers out a SEC filing with limited context? Nope.

So now that the merger between Sprint and SoftBank has closed I'm free to talk about the plans that I have heard in the City. It should be noted that everything after this is rumour and speculation, so most likely bullshit from coked up traders.

First, SoftBank plan to transition Sprint from CDMA to GSM by the end of 2015, the first changes will start in early 2014 according to the chatter. People with CDMA devices will be offered free GSM ones with a three year commitment. Son wants to offer Japanese style phones like Arrows and Aquos (Fujitsu and Sharp) in the US on SoftBank as an exclusive. Some of the plans also sound decent - $50/m for 500 minutes, 2.5GB LTE and unlimited sms, bring your own device, 24 month minimum commitment.

Son also plans to invest $12-15bn over the next 4 years in the Sprint network using profits from SoftBank (conversion to GSM and LTE network investment) and will tie the iPhone carriage on Sprint to their Japanese carrier which will effectively end any forced purchasing commitment Apple might put Sprint under after the current deal finishes.

By the end of 2020 Son wants SoftBank to be the number one US carrier and is looking to invest on that basis and be very aggressive in achieving that. He believes the key is to offer attractive phones from Japanese and international companies at a low upfront cost without an expensive contract and keep consumer tied in for a long period of time.

Finally, Son will eventually assume the role of general manager of Sprint and the name will be changed to SoftBank but not for a while. Son sees Sprint as a key stepping stone on the way to global leadership of the mobile carrier market because the US is the biggest single open market in terms of revenue and second largest in terms of subscriber figures.

In other rumours related to the US carrier market, Verizon are said to be preparing a $135bn all cash bid for Vodafone's share of VZW and Vodafone are talking about using the money plus another $100bn to buy AT&T which would be more than 10% over the current market cap. Stupid since AT&T tried to force Vodafone to buy them for less than half that back in 2004. The industry people say Vodafone are not interested in the fixed line business, but would be willing to hold onto it to see how internet TV shakes out. They bought Kabel Deutschland recently to offer multi-pay services in Germany and they are talking about another possible consumer push for broadband and phone in the UK as well so they have form there.

IMO with SoftBank entering the US market there is a lot of possibility for a huge shakeup with the old guard being swept aside. AT&T might go for a deal where they can cash out if things start looking dodgy with an aggressive player like Son pushing down margins. An international player like Vodafone would be better suited to deal with a lower margin business than a single country player like AT&T.

The 2017 US carrier line up could be:

Verizon Comuncations (US)
Vodafone (UK)
SoftBank (JPN)
T-Mobile (DE)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
so, att just bought leap wireless

So now that the merger between Sprint and SoftBank has closed I'm free to talk about the plans that I have heard in the City. It should be noted that everything after this is rumour and speculation, so most likely bullshit from coked up traders.

First, SoftBank plan to transition Sprint from CDMA to GSM by the end of 2015, the first changes will start in early 2014 according to the chatter. People with CDMA devices will be offered free GSM ones with a three year commitment. Son wants to offer Japanese style phones like Arrows and Aquos (Fujitsu and Sharp) in the US on SoftBank as an exclusive. Some of the plans also sound decent - $50/m for 500 minutes, 2.5GB LTE and unlimited sms, bring your own device, 24 month minimum commitment.

Son also plans to invest $12-15bn over the next 4 years in the Sprint network using profits from SoftBank (conversion to GSM and LTE network investment) and will tie the iPhone carriage on Sprint to their Japanese carrier which will effectively end any forced purchasing commitment Apple might put Sprint under after the current deal finishes.

By the end of 2020 Son wants SoftBank to be the number one US carrier and is looking to invest on that basis and be very aggressive in achieving that. He believes the key is to offer attractive phones from Japanese and international companies at a low upfront cost without an expensive contract and keep consumer tied in for a long period of time.

Finally, Son will eventually assume the role of general manager of Sprint and the name will be changed to SoftBank but not for a while. Son sees Sprint as a key stepping stone on the way to global leadership of the mobile carrier market because the US is the biggest single open market in terms of revenue and second largest in terms of subscriber figures.

In other rumours related to the US carrier market, Verizon are said to be preparing a $135bn all cash bid for Vodafone's share of VZW and Vodafone are talking about using the money plus another $100bn to buy AT&T which would be more than 10% over the current market cap. Stupid since AT&T tried to force Vodafone to buy them for less than half that back in 2004. The industry people say Vodafone are not interested in the fixed line business, but would be willing to hold onto it to see how internet TV shakes out. They bought Kabel Deutschland recently to offer multi-pay services in Germany and they are talking about another possible consumer push for broadband and phone in the UK as well so they have form there.

IMO with SoftBank entering the US market there is a lot of possibility for a huge shakeup with the old guard being swept aside. AT&T might go for a deal where they can cash out if things start looking dodgy with an aggressive player like Son pushing down margins. An international player like Vodafone would be better suited to deal with a lower margin business than a single country player like AT&T.

The 2017 US carrier line up could be:

Verizon Comuncations (US)
Vodafone (UK)
SoftBank (JPN)
T-Mobile (DE)

Actually AT&T seems to be doubling down. They just bought LeapWireless and therefore Cricket for like roughly 1.2 billion as DrFunk said above.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/12/4518696/att-acquires-leap-wireless

Actually AT&T seems to be doubling down. They just bought LeapWireless and therefore Cricket for like roughly 1.2 billion as DrFunk said above.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/12/4518696/att-acquires-leap-wireless

Which is tiny when you think Vodafone are thought to be preparing a $230-240bn mega deal. $1.2bn for Leap is just housekeeping to keep their network attractive for any buyout. The problem is that neither AT&T nor Vodafone have a decent enough asset book to go it alone against more aggressive rivals (well that is Vodafone without their 45% stake in VZW), but together they would basically be undisputed as the number one WW carrier excluding mainland China.

What may happen is a merger of unequals, after Vodafone get their $135bn they will not view themselves as a junior partner in any deal so they could propose a 60/40 merger with AT&T. I still think a straight buyout is more likely, Voda can raise the money without too many issues and AT&T shareholders will see the cash.

The official Twitter app is killing my battery.

4zmAr47.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sprint changing to gsm would guarantee me switching, provided they have standard lte bands (2600/1900/850/800)

tino

Banned

This Son guy is putting too much stock in his Japanese phones. All Japanese PC and phones models are designed on the "catering to niche demography ,good looking, exotic material and expensive" principles. This shit don't fly in the US. There is a reason Sony doesn't waste time in the Jp market, because the market has little similarity with the world market.

I feel sorry for people who used to have IDEN phones. They have to force switch to CDMA, and then WiMAX, and then LTE, and then force switch to GSM.

Sprint changing to gsm would guarantee me switching, provided they have standard lte bands (2600/1900/850/800)

I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. Still have horrible data speeds(even on LTE). Maybe this will be fixed in a few years under Softbank, but for now had to make the jump to T-Mobile and happy so far. Being able to actually use my smartphone as a smartphone is nice now that I can get decent data speeds.

kehs

Banned
That looks pretty great, reminds me of how the Nexus S looks in hands. I get the feeling it's going to feel great in the palm of your hand.

I was holding the GN the other day, and it feels so much better in your hand than the N4.

Anybody having issues with Gmail after they updated it? (I'm using a Nexus 10 for reference)

I'm trying to remove the stupid "social" and "promotion" inbox categories in the setting, but I can't save the new settings. There's no save button, and moving away from the setting menu just resets it back to the new default.

It worked on my PC and Note 2 gmail settings, but it's not working on my Nexus 10.

Anybody having issues with Gmail after they updated it? (I'm using a Nexus 10 for reference)

I'm trying to remove the stupid "social" and "promotion" inbox categories in the setting, but I can't save the new settings. There's no save button, and moving away from the setting menu just resets it back to the new default.

It worked on my PC and Note 2 gmail settings, but it's not working on my Nexus 10.
My wife had the same problem on the iPad app, even though it was ok on PC and GNexus (we were trying to remove Forums).

Frankly, I forgot what I did. Either I turned the new inbox feature off and on, or I logged out of the app and back in. Something along those lines... sorry.

My wife had the same problem on the iPad app, even though it was ok on PC and GNexus (we were trying to remove Forums).

Frankly, I forgot what I did. Either I turned the new inbox feature off and on, or I logged out of the app and back in. Something along those lines... sorry.
No, thanks for the tip it actually helped me get it working.

I went to app manager and deleted all the data from the app. When I went back to it and everything reloaded the settings I had tried to change earlier were finally activated (or deactivated in the case of those stupid involuntary Gmail labels).

So I'm giving away my One X to my brother and getting a Nexus 4. I was wondering if there's a case anyone would recommend that would protect the glass back without making the phone too thick?

P.S. Long time lurker. First time poster here.

I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile. Still have horrible data speeds(even on LTE). Maybe this will be fixed in a few years under Softbank, but for now had to make the jump to T-Mobile and happy so far. Being able to actually use my smartphone as a smartphone is nice now that I can get decent data speeds.

Everywhere I go, I have Verizon 4G LTE and I average 40mbps in the Seattle area. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom