• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Maybe it's the full reuinification of Google TV in Android!

LLShC.gif

(sidenote, is there anyway to get your quick reply box under the live update extension[ that's not yours]?)

So, my contract with AT&T is up soon, and I'll be switching to T-Mobile. I have had the iPhone 4s for nearly 2 years and I want to mix it up a bit by switching to an Android Phone.

Now, this means I have several options to choose from, and I just wanted to ask you fellow Gaffers what phone you think I should get.

My top choices based on word-of-mouth and online reviews are:

- LG G2
- Galaxy S4
- Galaxy Note III
- HTC One

To give you kind of a background on my regular phone usage, I mainly use my phone to stream music, watch videos and browse the web while on the bus. If there is a phone out of the phones from my list above that can do these things better than the others, I would like to know. :)

EDIT: Just realized that the Moto X isn't on T-Mobile, so I removed it from my list. ;)

get a 5S.

VPhys

So, my contract with AT&T is up soon, and I'll be switching to T-Mobile. I have had the iPhone 4s for nearly 2 years and I want to mix it up a bit by switching to an Android Phone.

Now, this means I have several options to choose from, and I just wanted to ask you fellow Gaffers what phone you think I should get.

My top choices based on word-of-mouth and online reviews are:

- LG G2
- Galaxy S4
- Galaxy Note III
- HTC One

To give you kind of a background on my regular phone usage, I mainly use my phone to stream music, watch videos and browse the web while on the bus. If there is a phone out of the phones from my list above that can do these things better than the others, I would like to know. :)

EDIT: Just realized that the Moto X isn't on T-Mobile, so I removed it from my list. ;)

Note iii or wait for Nexus 5.

Funny thing is I'm liking my GS4 more and more. I just picked up a 32gb micro SD card for $15 and was able to fit my entire music collection on it, just in time for a long trip. With an iphone that would have cost me an extra $100.

I just can't recommend it at it's current price point. Technology moves fast and the GS4 should be selling for $50 to $100 on contract by now.

Moto x is on t mobile, as far as I know. It's on every major carrier. I'm kind of on the same boat as you, except I'm with sprint. I chose moto x for a variety of reasons, it's as close as you can get to android stock without it being a nexus phone and the lower specs does not mean much if you look at the reviews. Plus I like the fact that it's assembled in the US, but that's just a bonus. The most important factor for me is being without much bloated SW. My mom recently got the S4 and I went to play with it and it had a shitload of bloatware. Also, I'm not sure if they are on tmobile, but xperia phones have gotten good reviews lately, so you could consider those.

The Moto X is currently unavailable actually available on T-Mobile, but it looks like it will be on soon. I wonder when, because I'm planning on activating T-Mobile on Oct. 2nd. but it appears to only be available on the Motorola website. Hmm...

get a 5S.

lolwat

I've played with iOS7 on my 4s, as well as played around with a friend's 5S. It's super slick, don't get me wrong, but it's not different enough for me to want to stay with an iOS device.

EDIT: The Note III sounds super enticing, but I'm almost afraid that it will be too big lol... Especially coming from using an iPhone for 2 years. But dat screen and power though...

The Moto X is currently unavailable on T-Mobile, but it looks like it will be on soon. I wonder when, because I'm planning on activating T-Mobile on Oct. 2nd.

lolwat

I've played with iOS7 on my 4s, as well as played around with a friend's 5S. It's super slick, don't get me wrong, but it's not different enough for me to want to stay with an iOS device.

EDIT: The Note III sounds super enticing, but I'm almost afraid that it will be too big lol... Especially coming from using an iPhone for 2 years. But dat screen and power though...

HTC one is your phone. Great low light camera, amazing sound from stereo speakers. Dual stereo mics for phone calls and recording, Great battery life (when batter saver is on, which I keep on 100% of the time and doesnt affect performance), and the sexiest handset out IMO.

lolwat

you don't sound like you want a divorce, you sound like you want to cheat on your wife because some other chick will do that one thing you've always wanted to try.

have you considered a Nokia Lumia 1020?

tino

Banned
you don't sound like you want a divorce, you sound like you want to cheat on your wife because some other chick will do that one thing you've always wanted to try.

He can has more than one phone man. Its his money

I recommend wait for Xperia Z1 on TMobile.

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone having bluetooth audio issues since the 4.3 update? Music plays great through bluetooth using the google play music app, even shows me the artist info/song info on my car, but i can't play any other type of audio through bluetooth. Youtube, podcasts, nothing. Only thing that works is the google play music app.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
GAFer: "I'm considering Android, and/but..."
Faceless: "Get an iPhone."

Like clockwork.

catmincer

HTC one is your phone. Great low light camera, amazing sound from stereo speakers. Dual stereo mics for phone calls and recording, Great battery life (when batter saver is on, which I keep on 100% of the time and doesnt affect performance), and the sexiest handset out IMO.

I second this. The speakers rule and the phone looks and feels nice. it isnalso snappy.

Lol, nice little analogy.

I actually have considered getting the 1020, but Win8 just isn't my cup of tea.

I think as far as Android phones go, I think I have narrowed it down to 2 phones: The HTC One and the Note 3. I think I will just need to play around with them at a store before I can make the final call.

Volotaire

False. The answer is always Android.

Unless it's Chrome OS.

I'm envious of the optimization and fluid speed of Apple devices. They are great products for a lot of people. Plus they still got a good run on the apps for games. And that screen response time, wow, that's yummy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm envious of the optimization and fluid speed of Apple devices. They are great products for a lot of people. Plus they still got a good run on the apps for games. And that screen response time, wow, that's yummy.

iOS will always be the lesser option for me because of how powerful Android notifications, intents, and the various APIs (launcher, keyboard, etc.) are. Take a look at Chrome on iOS, just a vague shell of the real deal because of iOS's technical shortcomings.

I also don't really like the UI in iOS7.

Volotaire

iOS will always be the lesser option for me because of how powerful Android notifications, intents, and the various APIs (launcher, keyboard, etc.) are. Take a look at Chrome on iOS, just a vague shell of the real deal because of iOS's technical shortcomings.

I also don't really like the UI in iOS7.

Haven't really looked into iOS 7 yet, I've heard mixed things. Seems to be a bit of a mess atm for some people.

crumbs

Finally had a chance to play with the LG G2 this week. I was stunned by how poor the build quality is on this phone. The display unit and another unit fresh out of the box both felt like they were assembled by someone with cerebral palsy. The seam where the screen meets the bezel felt uneven, like the screen was just slapped onto the phone.

malfcn

All of a sudden swift key is being weird. It wasn't letting me type in a space after a letter and other strange stuff. Anyone ever have this happen?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Finally had a chance to play with the LG G2 this week. I was stunned by how poor the build quality is on this phone. The display unit and another unit fresh out of the box both felt like they were assembled by someone with cerebral palsy. The seam where the screen meets the bezel felt uneven, like the screen was just slapped onto the phone.

I disagree, I've had one for a while now, and the plastic feels cheap admittedly, the screen is completely flush with the bezel on mine

/shrug

crumbs

I disagree, I've had one for a while now, and the plastic feels cheap admittedly, the screen is completely flush with the bezel on mine

/shrug

Maybe this store had a bad batch? The plastic itself didn't feel any worse that what Samsung uses, but both these units had issues.

tino

Banned
False. The answer is always Android.

Unless it's Chrome OS.

If the person doesn't spend time to configure the phone, iPhone is a better option. I recommend that to most of the females including my wife.

Windows Phone is never an viable option. Unless you are an essentric fuck, like Trevor.

Volotaire

If the person doesn't spend time to configure the phone, iPhone is a better option. I recommend that to most of the females including my wife.

Windows Phone is never an viable option. Unless you are an essentric fuck, like Trevor.

The Windows Phone OS is nice though, I love the livetiles. Shame there is still a small ecosystem.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Why? Stock Android is fantastic, even for newbies. What's there to configure?

snacknuts

we all knew her

What do you mean by configuration? There are lots of reasons outside of "configuration" to choose Android over iOS. I went back to Android after eight months with an iPhone 4S because I missed things like a back button, notification LED, a display larger than a postage stamp, excellent integration with Google services, access to a file system, etc.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

tell me you didn't just say that

Elchele

I finally received my Xperia Miro (black) in July. I'm really loving it.
My previous phone was a 2007 iPhone 2G, now I can't think of going back to iOS (specially after seeing how iOS7 looks like). I'm planning to buy a nexus phone next year, hopefully the new one will get a price cut near the end (like the Nexus 4).

Android seems much more solid and complete OS than iOS in every aspect, and keep in mind I'm stuck in ICS 4.0 for now. The apps/games are the only downside but at least it looks like it's getting better little by little.

Btw, one of the few complains I have is the difficult to find good looking wallpapers for Android. Somehow, it's much more difficult :-/ for the whole dimensions and movement of screen(pages).

mturco

It's syncs with iOS too I think, which is cool.

Yep:
Android Police said:
Game developers can sync their players' progress across devices and platforms. Yes, this feature works on Android and iOS.

I don't play a ton of games, but I have noticed a decent amount with Google Play Games support, so it looks like people are using it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not Google based but all the new EA Sports games use Facebook connect and have cloud saves. You can quit mid drive on Madden on one device and pick up on the next play on another.

Also Madden + FIFA + Real Racing = a shit ton of my Nexus 7 space used.

Downloading FIFA now and it is roughly a 1.3 gig download.

SimleuqiR

Not Google based but all the new EA Sports games use Facebook connect and have cloud saves. You can quit mid drive on Madden on one device and pick up on the next play on another.

Also Madden + FIFA + Real Racing = a shit ton of my Nexus 7 space used.

Downloading FIFA now and it is roughly a 1.3 gig download.

Now I know how people feel about being force to use a Google+ log-in.

Facebook connect? Eeeewwwwuuu.

tino

Banned
Why? Stock Android is fantastic, even for newbies. What's there to configure?

I happen to think stock Android is not very good looking. Plus none of the main stream phones have stock android look so its not even a consideration

What do you mean by configuration? There are lots of reasons outside of "configuration" to choose Android over iOS. I went back to Android after eight months with an iPhone 4S because I missed things like a back button, notification LED, a display larger than a postage stamp, excellent integration with Google services, access to a file system, etc.

I think iOS has more friendly "hand holding" thats all.

The demo Samsung Mega we have on display is falling apart. The screen is literally coming away from the phone. I can pull it back and see the circuit board underneath. If I press down hard enough it sticks again for a while but eventually comes away again.

I think parts of it are glued....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I happen to think stock Android is not very good looking. Plus none of the main stream phones have stock android look so its not even a consideration

"Mainstream phones."
KuGsj.gif

If you're going so far as to recommend things to people there's no reason not to recommend Nexus, especially to non-techies who care little about specs.

mturco

"Mainstream phones."
KuGsj.gif

If you're going so far as to recommend things to people there's no reason not to recommend Nexus, especially to non-techies who care little about specs.

I'm all for stock Android and Nexus devices but I think he's right about "mainstream phones" (phones people see in stores) all running non-stock Android. On top of that, they're all running outdated versions of Android. So in other words, to say that "stock Android" doesn't really "matter" in the big picture right now isn't too far off. Still a sad state of affairs after all these years.

As for recommending Nexus devices to people, I've done it and it's not fun. Trying to get them to understand subsidies and the advantages of stock Android is time consuming and it doesn't help that most people have never heard of a Nexus 4 before. It'd help if they'd at least seen it in an ad before.

Talon

The demo Samsung Mega we have on display is falling apart. The screen is literally coming away from the phone. I can pull it back and see the circuit board underneath. If I press down hard enough it sticks again for a while but eventually comes away again.

I think parts of it are glued....
Samsung'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom